• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toshiba Encore is a full Win 8.1 tablet priced at $329. Lenovo and Toshiba pretty much proclaiming the death of the RT. Sad times as I thought RT app development would help grow WP development.

The way things are going, Windows Phone 9 may become straight up Windows 9. Yes, full OS in mobile form. The idea of that in a Microsoft Lumia phone makes me ill.

doubt it. The two form-factors are so different that it doesn't workout that way.

Right now, already, the main difference between Windows and Windows Phone are 'The Shell' and big sections of api-hooks. What you will probably see is that the internal guts of both OSes becoming incredibly similar, and MS doubling down on WinRT APIs.

The nature of constant cellular connectivity and uptime is a massive headache for OS and hardware manufacturers that dramatically separates the phone from the desktop OS. Even with LTE enabled tablets, the testing is not nearly as stringent on a tablet than on a phone.

I could see WindowsRT not doing anything from an OEM point of view, but I could easily see MS pursuing smaller batches of cheaper Surface/Lumia type hardware. Once/If the Win Appstore takes off, those devices will be fine. I would use my RT constantly if not for my trying to get the most bang-for-my-buck by selling it a couple of months ago for 350$ (in anticipation for this year's surface pro 2).

EDIT:

So, in a sense, you might be correct. However, you probably should not be worried about the loss of the WINPHONE shell. The Shell is here to stay, but that guts underneath could be aligned to pursue shared experiences (think skydrive in a sense) across phone->tablet->desktop->laptop->xbox->anything else?

Toshiba Encore is a full Win 8.1 tablet priced at $329. Lenovo and Toshiba pretty much proclaiming the death of the RT. Sad times as I thought RT app development would help grow WP development.

The way things are going, Windows Phone 9 may become straight up Windows 9. Yes, full OS in mobile form. The idea of that in a Microsoft Lumia phone makes me ill.

when they decided to ditch WM6, they should have done that with WP7, and they DEFINITELY should have done that with WP8.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I gotta admit, I can't wait to see iOS 7 on my iPad. It's supposed to look great in motion.

Oh snap, I was just thinking this week that I would have to borrow my sister's iPhone 5 to play with ios7, completely forgetting that I own an iPad 2. I hate using that thing, but I'm excited for the update and I think it'll make it much more enjoyable to use. I hope so, anyway.

Windows Phone app complaint No. 482859

TuneIn Radio is absolute shit, in the same way that Spotify is absolute shit.

• TuneIn was built with minimum effort, just like the Windows 8 counterpart
  • It barely does what its supposed to do
  • Resuming works only when all stars in our solar system are completely aligned
  • it doesn't fucking resume playing when it's interrupted by a call
  • of course it lacks some neat features of the iOS or Android version
  • like the fucking alarm clock
  • but that's because they didn't even bother with the Pro version

That's all for now.

Nero3000

Windows Phone app complaint No. 482859

TuneIn Radio is absolute shit, in the same way that Spotify is absolute shit.

• TuneIn was built with minimum effort, just like the Windows 8 counterpart
  • It barely does what its supposed to do
  • Resuming works only when all stars in our solar system are completely aligned
  • it doesn't fucking resume playing when it's interrupted by a call
  • of course it lacks some neat features of the iOS or Android version
  • like the fucking alarm clock
  • but that's because they didn't even bother with the Pro version

That's all for now.

On the other hand it plays BBC 5 live radio stations in the background while I browse the net.

So ups and downs.

On the other hand it plays BBC 5 live radio stations in the background while I browse the net.

So ups and downs.

I think I covered that with the second point.

e: fun fact: At launch, the Windows 8 version of TuneIn Radio didn't even have a search functionality.

hadareud

The Translator
Posting from my grey Lumia 920. Yes, it looks as good as you'd expect :smug

Replacing the housing is a breeze. All in all it took me 15 minutes and everything is working just fine. Oddly enough, the camera is now a lot quicker to take pictures. Really strange.

Anyway, I can only recommend it. Even someone as clumsy as me had no issues.

Replacing the housing is a breeze. All in all it took me 15 minutes and everything is working just fine. Oddly enough, the camera is now a lot quicker to take pictures. Really strange.

Tip for everyone: If your buy a new body for your Lumia, get one that comes with all the buttons and antennas. It's a huge pain to rip everything out of your old one.

hadareud

The Translator
Tip for everyone: If your buy a new body for your Lumia, get one that comes with all the buttons and antennas. It's a huge pain to rip everything out of your old one.

Yeah, definitely. My body had everything included apart from the SIM tray.

If you have to swap over the antennas it would be a massive pain in the arse.

So you went grey too, brot?

Yeah, definitely. My body had everything included apart from the SIM tray.

If you have to swap over the antennas it would be a massive pain in the arse.

So you went grey too, brot?

Still waiting for a reason to get my front glass replaced. I wish the FFC would collect dust much faster (funny, considering this was a huge issue at launch). I might send it in once KitKat is available on my Galaxy Nexus. Until then, yellow is and remains the color of my choice. It's fucking awsome.

hadareud

The Translator
Still waiting for a reason to get my front glass replaced. I wish the FFC would collect dust much faster (funny, considering this was a huge issue at launch). I might send it in once KitKat is available on my Galaxy Nexus. Until then, yellow is and remains the color of my choice. It's fucking awsome.

I've never had any dust in my FFC. It's collecting like fuck in the ear-piece, though. I have to use an air-duster on it every other day, else it's completely white.

I've never had any dust in my FFC. It's collecting like fuck in the ear-piece, though. I have to use an air-duster on it every other day, else it's completely white.

I wonder if that's a good reason to send it in. Worse call quality because of dust in the ear piece. :lol

I can't even find a genuine grey body for a reasonable price right now.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I was too scared to do it myself so I had it done by someone else.

hadareud

The Translator
heh

The odd thing is that my gf's is completely dust free. Makes no sense.

I wonder if that's a good reason to send it in. Worse call quality because of dust in the ear piece. :lol

I can't even find a genuine grey body for a reasonable price right now.

heh

I should try that. I could tell them that I'm a germophobe and that it's causing me distress and sleepless nights.

Stay classy Nokia.

BTWEDZpCIAAaS4S.jpg:large

Ironic coming from a company that is struggling to stay in one piece.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Where did you order from again?

The seller on ebay was 2buya I believe. Same place where I had got my gel cases from as well. It wasn't cheap unfortunately. If only I had more patience or Rogers didn't suck at launch I could have a red one from the beginning.

zedge

The seller on ebay was 2buya I believe. Same place where I had got my gel cases from as well. It wasn't cheap unfortunately. If only I had more patience or Rogers didn't suck at launch I could have a red one from the beginning.
Ah OK. Same place I got the gel case from. Thanks.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Extras and info for updated and it pushed the glance and display settings into there own parts of the system settings menu. They also seem to tease features that may be coming with the next update such as notifications on the glance screen as well as something about the windows key in the touch settings.

Anyone here know if ITunes restrict movie purchases from being played on devices that aren't the PC it was purchased on?

I want to buy "Now You See Me" so I can own and play it on my phone, however, Xbox Video movie purchases can only be played on Computers and Xbox 360s, can't save it to my Nokia 1020.

Itunes is the only other store I know I can download and buy digital versions of Movies, so just want to make sure I can save said movie to my Nokia without any problems.

Also wouldn't mind, what online stores do you use to buy movies for you Windows Phone, if Itunes doesn't work?

EDIT: Does Amazon insta videos work just fine?

(also, I prefer that the movies work offline, since I like turning on airplane mode when watching videos)

flippedb

Banned
Anyone here know if ITunes restrict movie purchases from being played on devices that aren't the PC it was purchased on?

I want to buy "Now You See Me" so I can own and play it on my phone, however, Xbox Video movie purchases can only be played on Computers and Xbox 360s, can't save it to my Nokia 1020.

Itunes is the only other store I know I can download and buy digital versions of Movies, so just want to make sure I can save said movie to my Nokia without any problems.

Also wouldn't mind, what online stores do you use to buy movies for you Windows Phone, if Itunes doesn't work?

EDIT: Does Amazon insta videos work just fine?

(also, I prefer that the movies work offline, since I like turning on airplane mode when watching videos)

I believe Apple doesn't restrict the amount of devices something can be used on. Thing is, I don't know if the Lumia will be able to play the movie, I don't even know the format it is distributed on.

I believe Apple doesn't restrict the amount of devices something can be used on. Thing is, I don't know if the Lumia will be able to play the movie, I don't even know the format it is distributed on.

Just downloaded a Random South-Park episode to test this, nope. Video will not allow itself to be saved onto my Nokia. :( $1.99 wasted. Oh well, was a small amount, was just really curious if the Lumia COULD play videos from Itunes, guess the answer is nope! :p

Am I essentially boned when it comes to getting Movies on my Nokia until Video Support is added to Windows Phone?

Milchjon

It's sad that I'm always surprised when I discover that some app makers actually give a fuck.

The Deutsche Bahn Navigator app has a few really neat tiles for "commute", "take me home" and "from nearest station". I never even really checked that app out because I assumed it would be really bare bones.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, I think we're all guilty of that. I played around a bit with my old Desire HD last night and checked out most of the apps I'm using on my 920 (after updating them) - and I think for the most part they're not only not worse on WP (or lacking features), but they're better, because the design language on WP makes them a lot easier and nicer to use. Also, pinning.

When someone tells you long enough that something isn't there/isn't working properly/is a bit shit you start to believe it.

Much like in football when everyone goes on about how, and is convinced that, Arsenal's problems lie at the back because that was the case several years ago, it's a load of old shite and very lazy.

Not that the app situation on WP is perfect, but it certainly isn't all that great on Android either.

Nero3000

Yeah, I think we're all guilty of that. I played around a bit with my old Desire HD last night and checked out most of the apps I'm using on my 920 (after updating them) - and I think for the most part they're not only not worse on WP (or lacking features), but they're better, because the design language on WP makes them a lot easier and nicer to use. Also, pinning.

When someone tells you long enough that something isn't there/isn't working properly/is a bit shit you start to believe it.

Much like in football when everyone goes on about how, and is convinced that, Arsenal's problems lie at the back because that was the case several years ago, it's a load of old shite and very lazy.

Not that the app situation on WP is perfect, but it certainly isn't all that great on Android either.

But it doesn't matter, because we have got Mesut ****ing Ozil

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80152777&postcount=14755

That's a Windows Phone 7 Series launch app. 3 years old. Sort of a big name too.

Shit sucks.

hadareud

The Translator
Well there's always some things, of course.

TuneIn being one, there's a few others, too. But in general, I think what I said is not wrong.

Well there's always some things, of course.

TuneIn being one, there's a few others, too. But in general, I think what I said is not wrong.

I guess it's really not as bad as the WebOS marketplace or BlackBerry App World, but what's really annoying is basically the same old problem.

• The Windows Phone Store has less apps than the App Store or Play Store
  • That won't change
  • Which is why Microsoft focuses on getting the big names onboard instead
  • Big names get onboard indeed, only to outsource the app and abandon it shortly after
  • Microsoft doesn't care, because the big name is in the store and it's one box less to tick off
  • I bitch about it
  • Everyone complains that I bitch a lot

I'm curious to see how Flipboard turns out.

hadareud

The Translator
Like I said yesterday, a lot remains to be done when it comes to apps.

I know what you're saying, and I agree - but to be fair, most of the "big" apps that have recently been added are not bad or worse than their Android equivalents. Of course there's always exceptions (like your good old Spotify for instance), but we tend to concentrate on those rather than the good examples.

But obviously there's a problem. There's stuff that's missing - important stuff. Banks, local thingies etc. At the end of the day they won't come until WP has a decent marketshare, starting at around 10 % or so.

Looks like that's not going to happen anytime soon in the US, but in Europe it is happening, which is nice. I suspect that sales wise, WP will be over 10 % in almost all major European countries by the end of the year. Once that is happening, I think we'll see a significant improvement, meaning that we'll see most apps and most importantly most apps at the same time as their Android counterparts.

hadareud

The Translator
By the way, just to underline the significance of 10 % - iOS has a sales share of 18 % in the 5 largest European economies.

WP had 8.2 last quarter. 10 % would put it at over half of iOS, I think that will be a significant moment.

nope, the app situation is pretty great on Android.

this_guy

Yes, in terms of stuff being there.

But in terms of design and usability, not so much.

Design is subjective. But in terms of functionality, Android is still leagues ahead. I have a Nokia 920, and just within the past week I had two situations where Windows Phone let me down:

Fantasy football draft - I can draft on my android phone, but not on Windows. Luckily I still had a back up phone. (I was at a bar not at home)

Depositing a check - if you don't bank with Chase or one of the too big to fail banks you probably won't find an app for your bank.

I'm still interested in the Nokia 1020 for that camera, but I've learned to live with the shortcomings. If the Xperia Z's camera is competitive with the 1020 I'll probably lean that way, or if the new Nexus 5 has a solid camera and is priced right I might go with that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If the Xperia Z's camera is competitive with the 1020 I'll probably lean that way.

It won't be, it'll probably be the best camera on android not counting the absurd galaxy camera though. If camera is your main deciding factor, there is only one choice.

Guys, the 1020 isn't just a slightly better smartphone camera, it's a revolution. Comparing it to a top of the line smartphone camera is misleading, they are not in the same league. You can take great pictures on those, but the 1020 is an entirely different beast on another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom