• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get home, update time. Oh wait!
wp_ss_20131010_0001.png

Dammit! (My battery has turned to absolute shit. Pretty sure it's the FB app update)

So since I'm kind of new to this Glance stuff, how do I know it won't burn in or damage the screen? I appreciate the randomly hovering time and potential to alternate low-bit backgrounds, but does it have any long-term screen or battery impact? I have mine set to Interval because it's not like I need the time on in my pocket.
How long did the update take?

About 40 minutes for the entire process for me.

PG2G

I'm not using Glance because it seems like its be a huge waste of battery on an LCD screen. Even the Peek mode isn't especially useful when hitting the lock button is just as easy and doesn't require the phone attempting to sense a wave.

freshair

So since I'm kind of new to this Glance stuff, how do I know it won't burn in or damage the screen? I appreciate the randomly hovering time and potential to alternate low-bit backgrounds, but does it have any long-term screen or battery impact? I have mine set to Interval because it's not like I need the time on in my pocket.

About 40 minutes for the entire process for me.

For night mode/charging, I know that the clock moves around.

For everyday usage, this site says that it only adds an extra percentage or two of battery usage overall - http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/18191_Nokia_works_a_LCD_miracle-Glan.php

What seems to be happening is that, buoyed up by under the hood changes in WP8 GDR2, Nokia has found a way to run the LCD backlight at very low brightness, I'm guessing around 1%. Allied to the OS and Snapdragon chip supporting such a low level, low power process as maintaining a permanent clock, the end result is impressive. I've been testing this on the Lumia 920 (with the optional 'double tap to wake ALSO turned on) and the extra battery drain is of the order of a few percent a day, barely more than the 1% a day I usually reckoned on for the always-on AMOLED displays on Symbian smartphones a few years ago.

That is why it was kind of annoying hearing people bitch and moan about this release taking so long to be pushed out. There isn't shit in it. GDR3 is the one e care about

At least you can use Nokia Pro Cam though.

Read this for more details: http://www.wpcentral.com/att-amber-and-gdr2-updates-nokia-lumia-920-live
What it fix a lot of little annoying things, and should have come a lot sooner. ProCam is league better than Microsoft camera app and smartCam is great not to mention it should fix Xbox Music.

So, update went smoothly, took about 15 minutes.

Already two issues though:
-Xbox Music "improvements": already can't load the more episodes of podcasts from the store section on several of the podcasts I normally listen to.
-Nokia Pro Cam is pretty great, and I made it my default lens through that new menu option. Unfortunately it crashes when I take a picture about half the time.

ElNino

How can the 5c not be doing well? It's a "new" product from Apple and it's "cheap".
Well, I wouldn't really call it "cheap" considering my on-contract 1020 was $50 less than the 5c here on Rogers. 32GB 1020 for $180 vs 32GB 5c for $230.

Edit: I should add though that my wife's work is finally letting them switch from BlackBerry to iPhone if they wish, but they can only get the 5c, not the 5s. I figured they would opt for the 5s for the (possibly) better security with the finger print scanner since she is a CA (auditor) and would have plenty of private information on her phone/email.

hadareud

The Translator
Nokia are releasing their Q3 numbers next week, right?

Should be interesting whether they could add another 30 or so percent on the Lumias. At 10 million, I think they'd be very close to overtaking all of LG, Sony and HTC.

edit: actually not LG, they've shipped 12 million smartphones in Q2.

kazinova

GDR2 is worth getting for:

RADIO (I like listening to sports talk radio every now and then)
Pro Cam
Smart Cam
Glance and Glance Beta (I like glance, it's cool to wave near the phone when I leave it out on my desk to see the time)

Pro Cam question, is there a way to get multiple controls on the screen at once? I remember seeing all the wheels up at once and I can only get one at a time.

PG2G

Pro Cam question, is there a way to get multiple controls on the screen at once? I remember seeing all the wheels up at once and I can only get one at a time.

Slide the camera button (on the right) to the left a little.

GDR2 improves image quality as well.

Glance screen glowing on me. Handy when I'm half sleep and wondering what time it is lol

maeh2k

The only thing I can see from that chart is that Samsung is beasting. Even Apple is fading fast.

So far Apple's revenues are still growing. They are just more seasonal than Samsung's. If we were looking at profits, the roles would be reversed. Apple has a huge profit share. Nokia on the other hand mostly sells cheap phones they don't make much money on.

PG2G

Glance screen is one of those things that you just expect all smartphones to have from now on.

I think it should just replace the lock screen completely. It'd be nice if when I wake it, it'd unlock (or give me the pin entry) without the additional action if sliding up.

Maybe in the first Microkia release

ElNino

I only like using glance if it is on all the time, but it feels weird having something on the screen all the time as well.
I'm finding I like the Peek setting the best. When I pull phone out of my pocket, the glance screen activates so I can check the time easily (and notifications when they are added).

Why doesnt glance work am I using it wrong? and the clock stays on all the time prolly killing the battery.

hover hand over show status right?

Lumia 820

I only like using glance if it is on all the time, but it feels weird having something on the screen all the time as well.

Speaking of the Glance Screen. Once Nokia gets bought by Microsoft I wonder what will happen to the specific Nokia updates which bring these kinds of updates. Will Nokia still continue to do them to help push their products, or does Microsoft take those updates and put them in a general Windows Phone release for all products.

Speaking of the Glance Screen. Once Nokia gets bought by Microsoft I wonder what will happen to the specific Nokia updates which bring these kinds of updates. Will Nokia still continue to do them to help push their products, or does Microsoft take those updates and put them in a general Windows Phone release for all products.

Glance is going to be a Windows Phone feature.

dLMN8R

Ok, now that I have GDR2 I have a question about Pro Cam. In a lot of the press and coverage, I keep seeing this image:

Nokia-Pro-Cam.jpg

I also remember reading about how Pro Cam would automatically suggest for you the best settings, and give you a warning if you've manually selected settings that could result in a poor shot given the circumstances.

On my 920, though, all I see is the little adjustment bar across the top, and I can only show one of the "rings" at a time. I'd really like to do what I see in that image - show all the adjustment bars at the same time.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is that only available on the 1020?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Slide the camera button (on the right) to the left a little.

GDR2 improves image quality as well.

Glance screen glowing on me. Handy when I'm half sleep and wondering what time it is lol

Ok, now that I have GDR2 I have a question about Pro Cam. In a lot of the press and coverage, I keep seeing this image:

Nokia-Pro-Cam.jpg

I also remember reading about how Pro Cam would automatically suggest for you the best settings, and give you a warning if you've manually selected settings that could result in a poor shot given the circumstances.

On my 920, though, all I see is the little adjustment bar across the top, and I can only show one of the "rings" at a time. I'd really like to do what I see in that image - show all the adjustment bars at the same time.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is that only available on the 1020?

:)

dLMN8R

hah! Serves me right for thinking I'm special and have a unique question that no one else could have possibly asked in the new posts that arrived since I last looked at this thread :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that bugs me with Pro Cam on the 920 is when you take picture and then look at the preview for a split second the colour balance is different.

Fjolle

Obviously Microsoft is going to copy Google and decouple everything from the kernel. Then the Nokia ninjas will dish out updates to everything every other week :)

Obviously Microsoft is going to copy Google and decouple everything from the kernel. Then the Nokia ninjas will dish out updates to everything every other week :)

I'm very interested in seeing how MS proceeds with the unification of the Win/Phone into the mega-group. Who knows, maybe dLMN8R and I will be building-mates.

freshair

One thing that bugs me with Pro Cam on the 920 is when you take picture and then look at the preview for a split second the colour balance is different.

Yeah, it's a "bug" that's apparently affecting the majority of users. Colors and focus are off comparatively between the preview and what's saved to the camera roll.

Some suggest using Smart Shoot resolves the issue, and others are recommending the 3rd party camera ProShot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom