• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElNino

Rudy Hyun started working on a project for Microsoft on Monday...wonder what it could be??
I wonder whether he will be working on a Rudy schedule or Microsoft one. If the former, we could get a working beta by the end of next week, if the latter then maybe we'll find out by Christmas. ;-)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder whether he will be working on a Rudy schedule or Microsoft one. If the former, we could get a working beta by the end of next week, if the latter then maybe we'll find out by Christmas. ;-)

:lol

Apparently he has another big feature coming to 6tag as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nooooooo, I got vertical line on my screen that won't go away. Fuck me, I don't want to send it away to get fixed. Not happy at all.

It looks like this but on the other side.

line_zpsf0cec8dd.jpg

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm absolutely in love with the 1020, I can't stop playing with it. I was happy with my OG Focus but it was mainly just a phone for me, I used a few apps and browsed websites when I was out but that was mostly it. With this phone, with it's big beautiful screen, I find myself browsing through web reviews looking for all kinds of apps to install. I almost never played games on my Focus but after seeing how good Angry Birds Star Wars looked I've been checking out all kinds of demos.

Then of course I've been spending lots of time playing with the camera and various photo apps. Can I just say that Photobeamer is the most amazing thing ever? It's like magic!

The only issue I'm having is that the battery is dead by the end of the day so I eventually have to stop playing with the phone and go to sleep.

MCD

Played with 1020 today at a local shop.

I feel conflicted. Beautiful hardware, slimmer than my 920 but I don't know how would the hump feel with everyday use.Pro Cam can also take 2 sec when taking shots.

And WP biggest problem is the software: how can I justify 600 bucks on a new phone when my phone works as smooth as I bought it at launch a year ago?

Razdek

Banned
Played with 1020 today at a local shop.

I feel conflicted. Beautiful hardware, slimmer than my 920 but I don't know how would the hump feel with everyday use.Pro Cam can also take 2 sec when taking shots.

And WP biggest problem is the software: how can I justify 600 bucks on a new phone when my phone works as smooth as I bought it at launch a year ago?

I say wait it out until next year to get the updated version of the 1020 or else sell your current phone to help pay for it. As you mentioned the biggest issue is the software and paying $600 for an upgraded camera doesn't seem worth it. Unless of course that is very important to you.

Gamble

Debating on taking the plunge for a Windows phone as my everyday device, I've been using Android since the OG Moto Droid launched on VZW a few years back and I've loved it but I've realized I really only use a few apps all in all so aside from music, hulu, youtube, manga and general web browsing I don't do much else so the S4 that I am now using on Tmobile is being seriouly under-utilized.

I played around with the 1020 at a local ATT store and immediately became jealous that it's not on Tmobile and paying 800+ for an unlocked on is out of the question :-( my GF would murder me in my sleep for that lol but I did also fiddle with the 925 and I enjoyed it just sucks there is no sd expansion for it :-(

MCD

I say wait it out until next year to get the updated version of the 1020 or else sell your current phone to help pay for it. As you mentioned the biggest issue is the software and paying $600 for an upgraded camera doesn't seem worth it. Unless of course that is very important to you.

It's important when I visit London next year!

And happy birthday, WP!

NdNdBuQ.jpg

freshair

One thing that bugs me with Pro Cam on the 920 is when you take picture and then look at the preview for a split second the colour balance is different.

Another tidbit from a user:

The camera apps process the pics to a lower resolution to make them easier and less processor-hungry to view on the phone. And, in the process, the yellowish color comes out.
But, if you upload your pics to your computer you'll notice that the yellowish color is gone, the pics are beautiful and in high-resolution (Try to watch them on a HD screen and you'll see what I mean).

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The dreaded gears, why oh why did they go with gears and no progress bar?

Got passed it with a hard three button reset, at the Nokia logo pressed volume up, down, power, down. The Nokia logo gives a quick flash and then waited 10 or so minutes. Still got the buggered screen though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's important when I visit London next year!

Don't listen to those clowns, sell your phone and get a 1020. The camera isn't an upgrade, it's a revolution, and I can't wait to see what sort of photos you take in London with a camera that isn't the typical smartphone garbage.

Rudy hopefully is working on a multi-platform Cinemagraph Social app. Of course, allow WP gifs to post at a higher file size than Android or iOS.

Glance screen is pretty cool but it can still be improved even more. Displaying the current music track would be cool at least, if not the album art as well. Maybe enable the volume controls. But if you add too much to the glance screen it starts to confusingly overlap the lock screen.

So day one with amber and a site I visit that use to allow my phone to view embedded videos now won't allow me too. WTF

What is this site? Is it SFW? : P

I haven't have any problem with GDR 2 on 1020. It seems working fine on my old 920 but I flash that and didn't use At&t version so there might be some differences.

Glance screen is pretty cool but it can still be improved even more. Displaying the current music track would be cool at least, if not the album art as well. Maybe enable the volume controls. But if you add too much to the glance screen it starts to confusingly overlap the lock screen.

I disagree, I think they really need to keep it as minimal as possible. At most they can add icons for mail / message notification but all that stuff you ask for is just essentially lock screen. You can always set that to always on (though it will probably murder your battery). I think glance work just fine the way it is and I really prefer it this way.

My daughter and my son love it, because well the younger generation seems to have this disdain for watch. My daughter wore her G-Shock on occasion but I don't think it is even set to the right time and she just wore it as an accessory.

Sheet, not even mobile YouTube site is working for me since the amber update. All I get is...
PfBCtYp.jpg

what a nightmare. anyone is have this issue?

edit: metrotube video playback isn't working either.

I just deleted internet history/cookies and still no YouTube playback.

edit2: ok, fixed by going into browser settings and turning off "do not track." fuk you google.

Zeknurn

Listening to What the Tech and when Thurrot was asked about GDR3 and future updates to the Lumia 520 he said that Andrew shouldn't worry about that and that he can talk more about it next week.

Is the enthusiast program finally happening?

What phone do you have? I have 1020, 920, 820 and 620, they are all on GDR2 and Amber and all the YouTube and videos work just fine. I am sure I would hear it from my kids if their YouTube stop working.
I have an att 920 on straight talk.

YouTube vids on browser and metrotube worked fine before the update. Turning off "do not track" in the browser settings worked once but later on in the day, it's broken again.

fuk me if I have to do a dreaded factory reset.

Nero3000

So has anyone got an issue where the incoming call number is not picked up by the caller ID?

So rather than say "John Smith" it comes up with "077...etc" even though the number is in your phonebook.

Lumia 925 running amber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom