• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I guess this is what LastFlowers was referring to when he said we should all be registered devs a few days ago. :)

I will wait to make sure that the Amber firmware is kept with the update though.

hadareud

The Translator
I strongly suspect that you can flash back to stock with the Nokia care suite anyway. I would think that they don't mention that because it's far from officially sanctioned.

But I'll definitely wait a few days until I hear some reports about what's there and what's missing and whether there's any problems (and if you really can return to stock, if you choose to).

GDR3 sounds awesome. Really excited for bluetooth internet sharing and the developer program, while I wont use it as long as Rogers does their job, Is well overdue.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's not like anyone can update now anyway, we need the App that allows us to download the update, and that's not available yet. I'll jump in once its available, my phone is ready.

MCD

Microsoft’s Joe Belfiore on Windows Phone Sales: We’re Small, but Growing Fast

“The work we are doing is valuable, and a lot of people aren’t aware of it,” Belfiore said in an interview.

While it is always nice to add features, Belfiore said that the biggest gap for Windows Phone remains the lack of some key apps, and that the biggest thing Microsoft or its partners can do is grow the market for Windows Phone to make it a more attractive platform for developers.

The Windows Phone software announced Monday — Update 3 for Windows Phone 8 — adds a few features, such as a driving mode and improved storage management, but like the two earlier updates, most of the work was about taking Windows Phone to new areas. In the case of the first two updates, it was really about support for new regions and lower-cost devices. With this update, Belfiore says, Microsoft is supporting high-end features such as 1080p displays and quad-core processors.

As for Microsoft’s progress in the market, Belfiore said Windows Phone’s low-single-digit share of the U.S. market overshadows some of the successes the company is seeing elsewhere.

“We’re small, but growing fast,” Belfiore said. “We’ll take it.”

The company, he said, is now outselling the iPhone in India and Latin America.

In these places, Belfiore said, “the market dynamics play better to what we are good at.”

Nero3000

Progress Update bar?

BWjDStwCEAAA4iL.jpg

toff74

Maybe a silly question, but would we be able to download the Nokia specific software with marketplace links? Like procam and drive?

i know these aren't available from the initial update

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This feels like the mango release all over again. I remember a few regulars here had the mango beta, including myself. I hope the program extends to WP 8.1, this is really exciting.

joshschw

This feels like the mango release all over again. I remember a few regulars here had the mango beta, including myself. I hope the program extends to WP 8.1, this is really exciting.

I probably had it, but I don't even remember. I do remember being super excited about it though. Funny how that works!

Downloading GDR3 now.

Nero3000

Feels the same. Need to wait for Windows 8.1 release for the Bluetooth thing to work. Yes I can close multitasking apps but is there any point?

The Nokia stuff still works - it still says "Lumia Amber"

The under the hood and hardware enabling stuff is nice and all but I hope WP8.1 brings a lot more interesting end-user features (for existing customers).

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Feels the same. Need to wait for Windows 8.1 release for the Bluetooth thing to work. Yes I can close multitasking apps but is there any point?

The Nokia stuff still works - it still says "Lumia Amber"
Does this do the same as flashing? I mean do you keep everything that you had prior to the update?

(In work so too lazy to read the long article!)

joshschw

Document attaching in email seems rather barebones. You can attach it from an open document. Not from creating an email via your inbox.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was crazy enough to put the update on my 1020. Just closed my first app with the new "x" button in the multitasking screen, feels good man.

Nero3000

We should also point out to those on the fence, that this isn't technically a beta. The Microsoft code is release complete and tested on hardware, it just doesn't include the OEM firmware updates nor has it been tested by carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom