• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this early access is for all updates going forward. I'm hoping this was the plan for GDR1/2 as well, but they might have hit some roadblocks with getting the backend infrastructure ready or with carriers, or maybe just a lack of manpower. Don't really know the story behind this, but my positive-thinking makes me believe this will happen with every release.

Razdek

Banned
I hope this early access is for all updates going forward. I'm hoping this was the plan for GDR1/2 as well, but they might have hit some roadblocks with getting the backend infrastructure ready or with carriers, or maybe just a lack of manpower. Don't really know the story behind this, but my positive-thinking makes me believe this will happen with every release.

If this is the standard with upcoming releases then I would be really impressed with the WP team.

Was thinking about doing the GDR3 update as I have a developer account. The possibility of it voiding my warranty though is making me think otherwise.

My thought on this is: if you can still get to the flashing menu...then they wouldn't ever know

If this is the standard with upcoming releases then I would be really impressed with the WP team.

Don't be too impressed, this should have been the case since mango did.

I'm already bored with gdr3, bring on Blue!!!!!

At least you shouldn't have any more spinning gears problems.

joshschw

Ah my bad I read it incorrectly. I thought it meant I could use my own tone for text messages and e-mails rather than using the standard 15 tones.

actually that wording makes it sound like you can. Wonder if its just a matter of putting the custom text mp3 in the proper folder.

kazinova

Ah my bad I read it incorrectly. I thought it meant I could use my own tone for text messages and e-mails rather than using the standard 15 tones.

You were correct the first time. I can make my text tone a custom ringtone loaded on the phone just like the ringer. It's the same category, even.

PG2G

ok on my prepaid T-mobile, I cant get MMS, the phone says "Download media content" then it just doesnt

T-mobile problem or my 820?

Might want to double check your MMS APN. Maybe it isn't setup correctly. I assume you have a data connection when you're trying to do this?

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
You were correct the first time. I can make my text tone a custom ringtone loaded on the phone just like the ringer. It's the same category, even.

No idea how I have been using the OS for so long and never bothered setting this up hah.

Thanks!

Razdek

Banned

hadareud

The Translator
Joe thinks that just getting Instagram and a few other key apps will be enough but the biggest issue is that app developers don't even think of WP when they develop their apps. When the next big app appears how long is it going to be when it comes to WP if ever? That's the biggest challenge the platform faces.

What else would you suggest they'd do, though?

In order to get other developers to develop, they need marketshare. To get marketshare they need to get the major apps (amongst other things), whichever way possible. Which is what they're trying to do, it seems.

At the end of the day their main problem at the moment is that while they are gaining real traction in Europe (and it is real), they're not in the US. And the US is still where most of the big apps come from.

They need to get to 10 % in the US to start gaining momentum, at the moment they're almost as far away from that as they were at the beginning of the year. It's really odd, considering they're now at well over 10 % in the UK and other major European countries.

Goku

Banned
Played around with a Lumia 925 today. Wow, this phone looks and feels amazing. Definantly underrated looks. Sits great in the hand and the materials just feel right. The phone is pretty light too. Seriously fell in love with it.

Troll

Banned
The phone doesn't have to be GDR2 to get GDR3 btw. If you download the app and you're on the update right before GDR2 it takes you right to GDR3.

Played around with a Lumia 925 today. Wow, this phone looks and feels amazing. Definantly underrated looks. Sits great in the hand and the materials just feel right. The phone is pretty light too. Seriously fell in love with it.
yes, I saw a 925 in the wild and loved it too. Looked incredibly thin, light, and premium. It was the t-mobile gun metal color.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
The phone doesn't have to be GDR2 to get GDR3 btw. If you download the app and you're on the update right before GDR2 it takes you right to GDR3.
OOoooo

sooo how stable is it? and will it wipe all of my settings and personal stuff etc..?

Razdek

Banned
What else would you suggest they'd do, though?

In order to get other developers to develop, they need marketshare. To get marketshare they need to get the major apps (amongst other things), whichever way possible. Which is what they're trying to do, it seems.

At the end of the day their main problem at the moment is that while they are gaining real traction in Europe (and it is real), they're not in the US. And the US is still where most of the big apps come from.

They need to get to 10 % in the US to start gaining momentum, at the moment they're almost as far away from that as they were at the beginning of the year. It's really odd, considering they're now at well over 10 % in the UK and other major European countries.

I don't know what they can do about it but I disagree with Joe thinking that once they get these so called missing apps that WP is just going to start gaining traction as there are many other things that is holding WP back.

Installed GDR3 on my 520 and it's great that we didn't have to wait months for this tiny update but anticipating the update to blue more. Is there a reason why we can't use songs we downloaded from Xbox music as a custom ring tone? Hate that I have to transfer another copy of the mp3 to the phone to set them.

Troll

Banned
OOoooo

sooo how stable is it? and will it wipe all of my settings and personal stuff etc..?

Nope. Everything was still there. Super stable no issues at all. It had even installed the missing Nokia firmware (double tap to wake up etc). I have a feeling this is going to get us 8.1 early.

e: the device in question is a friends 520.

Razdek

Banned
Nope. Everything was still there. Super stable no issues at all. It had even installed the missing Nokia firmware (double tap to wake up etc). I have a feeling this is going to get us 8.1 early.

How did your friend get double tap to wake on his 520? I don't see that option anywhere.

PG2G

Joe thinks that just getting Instagram and a few other key apps will be enough but the biggest issue is that app developers don't even think of WP when they develop their apps. When the next big app appears how long is it going to be when it comes to WP if ever? That's the biggest challenge the platform faces.

which is exactly what they are doing by trying to increase market share

Windu

It's RTM, so it should be completely stable, you just don't get the firmware/nokia software until they release it through the carrier.
Cool. Probably end up doing this. Don't even have gdr2 or whatever on my 620 yet. I will probably get gdr3 in June of next year if I wait.

Bullza2o

I just flashed my AT&T 920 2 weeks ago to Amber/GDR2. I think I'm on a French ROM right now. Would it be bad if I upgrade to this GDR3, or should I wait for another flash procedure?

Yoshiya

I don't think this is true - mine is only missing GDR2 (thanks HTC) and it won't let me use the app specifically for that reason.

yes, I saw a 925 in the wild and loved it too. Looked incredibly thin, light, and premium. It was the t-mobile gun metal color.

Been using a 925 for 2 weeks and LOVE it! Vast improvement over my old 8X!

Also, the T-Mobile version is actually white (I'm on T-Mo). AT&T's has the black version.

The metal you saw is the surrounding frame around the phone!

Windu

Strange. He's on ATT pay as you go. Not sure if that makes a difference...
it depends on what the phone says the carrier is.

I use straight talk, an at&t reseller but my phone is a country variant from Puerto Rico.

Check

settings-about-carrier (mine Country Variant PR)

or

settings-extras+info-more info-mobile operator (mine 000-PR)

my GDR2 update is still waiting for approval http://www.nokia.com/global/support...oftware-update/availability-in-latin-america/

(and approval from who....country variants go through nokia...sigh)

Bullza2o

Nokia firmware (bittersweet shimmer) is not available yet. You will just get GDR3 with this preview but Amber firmware still works fine with it.

Wait, so when Nokia sends their bittersweet shimmer out on Care Suite, I can just add it on my existing GDR3 Lumia 920? Or is there something more to it like resetting and hoops as shown in flashing for GDR2?

Wait, so when Nokia sends their bittersweet shimmer out on Care Suite, I can just add it on my existing GDR3 Lumia 920? Or is there something more to it like resetting and hoops as shown in flashing for GDR2?
I guess that is all depends on how Nokia push out bittersweet. I don't see why you would need to reset, those that doing preview might need to do another update to GDR3. I am sure like Amber, Bittersweet will be install on top. Nokia version names for update are so much cooler than Microsoft, but that's not surprising. I can't wait for Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 Professional Mobile Edition 2013 for Windows Phone Lumia RT GDR Blue 1 update.

Bullza2o

I guess that is all depends on how Nokia push out bittersweet. I don't see why you would need to reset, those that doing preview might need to do another update to GDR3. I am sure like Amber, Bittersweet will be install on top. Nokia version names for update are so much cooler than Microsoft, but that's not surprising. I can't wait for Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 Professional Mobile Edition 2013 for Windows Phone Lumia RT GDR Blue 1 update.

Okay then, I shall update very soon tonight when I get the time! I'm sure Nokia cares for the WP hardcore fans who already upgraded to GDR3. We won't be left alone!

PG2G

Okay then, I shall update very soon tonight when I get the time! I'm sure Nokia cares for the WP hardcore fans who already upgraded to GDR3. We won't be left alone!

Microsoft said that you'll get firmware updates later on when they get released officially. You won't miss out on anything.

Bullza2o

Microsoft said that you'll get firmware updates later on when they get released officially. You won't miss out on anything.

Sounds good. I finished updating! Feels better that we finally bypassed the carriers (AT&T mostly). I think my time with GDR2 was too short though, but oh well. Now waiting for Nokia's awesome update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom