• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I cant get my 820 to connect to an OBDII connector for my car, the device requires a pass code, why isnt my phone asking for it?

I have also noticed that I cant stay connected to my girlfriends Galaxy S3 for some reason... it too doesnt ask for that pass code, but my JBL speaker connects and stays connected.

hadareud

The Translator
I think the only thing that the N5 has going for it is its price. And that it's pure Android, of course.

To call its looks generic would be a compliment. It has on screen buttons.

I might be snobbish here, but I also don't really want a phone made by LG. If it was a HTC, Samsung or Sony it would be a lot more interesting.

Milchjon

I hope you can see now what was wrong with your terrible HTC One Windows Phone mockup.

I just know that at my funeral, you will send my mourning family a beatifully printed card of that mock up.

Unrelated, but I actually enjoy being able to drag & drop files on my phone.

zedge

I think the only thing that the N5 has going for it is its price. And that it's pure Android, of course.

To call its looks generic would be a compliment. It has on screen buttons.

I might be snobbish here, but I also don't really want a phone made by LG. If it was a HTC, Samsung or Sony it would be a lot more interesting.

Only thing going for it? 1080p screen, latest CPU, great build quality, OIS likely. HTC is so damn overrated.. Nothing wrong with LG. The build quality of the N4 is fine. If it was Samsung it would have amoled, or if it was Sony it would have some shit LCD. LGs screens are awesome.

Yea, you are a snob. ;)

Razdek

Banned
Only thing going for it? 1080p screen, latest CPU, great build quality, OIS likely. HTC is so damn overrated.. Nothing wrong with LG. The build quality of the N4 is fine. If it was Samsung it would have amoled, or if it was Sony it would have some shit LCD. LGs screens are awesome.

Yea, you are a snob. ;)

I agree with everything you said and if you never uses a Nexus 4 or other LG phone you can't really comment on it like those who piss on WP but have never used one before. You will never see a Nokia phone with those specs at the same price point.

zedge

I agree with everything you said and if you never uses a Nexus 4 or other LG phone you can't really comment on it like those who piss on WP but have never used one before. You will never see a Nokia phone with those specs at the same price point.

Indeed.

$350 for a phone that is generations ahead of any WP phone (aside from camera). C'mon.

The 920 still costs more.

hadareud

The Translator
I didn't mention the specs because all phones coming out around the same time will have similar specs.

And really, I don't care about the latest processor when there's nothing that takes advantage of its power apart from a few games that I will never even try out. The thing that makes them interesting would be their energy saving potential, for me anyway.

I know that I'm wrong to dismiss LG, but at the end of the day I still don't care for the brand and I'd much rather have a phone from the other big guns.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No, the price is still unbeatable. You are going to pay twice as much for any other fagship phone. That is not going to end in three days.

Ok, I see you're going to pretend like your post only had one criteria to it, price. Too bad I can still go back and read it, and it will be false in three days.

zedge

Ok, I see you're going to pretend like your post only had one criteria to it, price. Too bad I can still go back and read it, and it will be false in three days.

Nah, I was referring to the current crop of phones. Yes WP will soon have new phones with similar specs. Doesnt change the fact that the N5 is still cheaper than the current WP flagships.

hadareud

The Translator
Now that we're all agreed on my original point I think it's time that we should also agree with me that on screen buttons are shite.

Razdek

Banned
Now that we're all agreed on my original point I think it's time that we should also agree with me on that on screen buttons are shite.

I'd rather have on screen buttons rather than the capacitive ones. That stupid search button is always accidentally getting hit on my 520.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nah, I was referring to the current crop of phones.

Ah, so you ignored the leaked, unannounced windows phones when discussing the leaked, unannounced android phone. I can see how your post would still be true in three days given the mental gymnastics employed.

Nope. Love the onscreen buttons on my N4. But capacitive are fine too.

Not sure why you two keep arguing for Android phone when you are in the Windows Phone thread. If people want to get Android phone they would be in Android thread.

On screen buttons are OK on the Nexus 7 but I would rather have more screen real estate on a phone.

zedge

Ah, so you ignored the leaked, unannounced windows phones when discussing the leaked, unannounced android phone. I can see how your post would still be true in three days given the mental gymnastics employed.

I was merely getting at the fact that the price of the N5 is less than any current flagship WP or otherwise, and will still be less than any new flagship. Don't know how that can be argued. When you said three days, you did not specify specs either.

Not sure why you two keep arguing for Android phone when you are in the Windows Phone thread. If people want to get Android phone they would be in Android thread.

On screen buttons are OK on the Nexus 7 but I would rather have more screen real estate on a phone.

I don't think a little cross chat is bad. I am not bashing WP. I have both.

I was merely getting at the fact that the price of the N5 is less than any current flagship WP or otherwise, and will still be less than any new flagship. Don't know how that can be argued. When you said three days, you did not specify specs either.

I don't think a little cross chat is bad. I am not bashing WP. I have both.

I also have both, but you don't see me go in Android thread and go on and on about how fucking suck Nexus 7 is.

hadareud

The Translator
I don't like on screen buttons even on a tablet.

I want my screen to be a screen and I don't want space taken away by useless stuff.

I even don't like apps that have a bar at the bottom. Twitter is one of the worst offenders. Not only does it have a huge useless bar at the top, they still had to add a permanent one at the bottom too. Add on screen buttons to that and there's nothing left.

Awful.

So when my lumia is synced with my car bluetooth it now reads out text messages, asks if you want to ignore or reply. Very cool. This is new with GDR3?

Nope, always done that.

One really cool car bluetooth feature I had was when you hold down the call button it would be the same function as holding down the windows button on the phone, and so you can give voice commands to call or text. Works really well, actually understands my wife's name which Siri never could. But that was with a little bluetooth + FM modulator I got since my car didn't have it's own bluetooth connection. When I paired my phone with a Toyota that had factory bluetooth, holding down the call button didn't do anything.

edit: are you kidding me? outsponded by less than a minute when replying to a message from 8 hours ago?

Heretic

Nope, always done that.

One really cool car bluetooth feature I had was when you hold down the call button it would be the same function as holding down the windows button on the phone, and so you can give voice commands to call or text. Works really well, actually understands my wife's name which Siri never could. But that was with a little bluetooth + FM modulator I got since my car didn't have it's own bluetooth connection. When I paired my phone with a Toyota that had factory bluetooth, holding down the call button didn't do anything.

edit: are you kidding me? outsponded by less than a minute when replying to a message from 8 hours ago?

There can only be one highlander!

PG2G

Guess who has a Lumia 1020 on the way??? :D

AT&T is totally clueless on my MMS issue (the lady even went as far as saying Windows Phone doesn't support it... lol) so we're trying a non-920. They tried to push a 925 on me but there is no way in hell I was going from 32 gb to 16 gb.

Goku

Banned
Nah, I was referring to the current crop of phones. Yes WP will soon have new phones with similar specs. Doesnt change the fact that the N5 is still cheaper than the current WP flagships.

You're acting as if Nexus phones only outprice Windows Phones. N5 will also be cheaper than every Android flagship. Nexus phones are great for buying off contract. On contract, I'd rather pay a little more to get better design and build quality. Nexus phones are hideous.

The bigwin team should be forced to use Windows Phone. The things you read in the Windows 8.1 AMA ...

• Microsoft team member Jason Beaumont was asked if a notification center was in the works. He replied, 'Notification center is something we've talked a lot about, and I kind of have to leave it at that for now :) ."
  • Beaumont was also asked why there was no "Me" Live title for Windows 8.1. He stated, "Great question. I have my wife and family contacts pinned to my Start screen but I never thought to pin myself. I like the idea. Luckily that team is just down the hall and I'm literally going to walk down there after lunch and give them your suggestion."
  • Windows team member Katie Frigon was asked about adding support for pinning music albums to the Windows 8.1 Start screen, which is already supported by Windows Phone. Frigon replied, "We are working on pinning. In addition to pinning albums and playlists, we've got a lot of great improvements in the works for Xbox Music on Windows. In fact, the team hopes to release much more frequent updates."

The "Me tile" part is the best. Like the guy never heard of that functionality.
"Hey guys, I just got back from the AMA and there was one really awesome suggestion. Listen and get this: Pin. Yourself. On. The. Start screen.

How awesome would that be?! Now let's all figure out a way how to do this!"

this_guy

Guess who has a Lumia 1020 on the way??? :D

AT&T is totally clueless on my MMS issue (the lady even went as far as saying Windows Phone doesn't support it... lol) so we're trying a non-920. They tried to push a 925 on me but there is no way in hell I was going from 32 gb to 16 gb.

I had the same issue. Changing MMS APN settings didn't work (I tried every APN I could find online). The only thing that did work was a factory reset and now MMS works like a champ. After the factory reset I checked the internet and MMS APN settings but everything is blank.

Milchjon

Things I love so far:

- How quick everything is. WhatsApp opens almost instantly, and the time between pictures was horrible on my old phone.

- Offline maps will be a game-changer for me personally.

-6tag and Rando. 6tag is just so well made and works well even with a slow connection. Rando is just precious.

- Double-tap to wake when the phone's sitting on a table.

PG2G

I had the same issue. Changing MMS APN settings didn't work (I tried every APN I could find online). The only thing that did work was a factory reset and now MMS works like a champ. After the factory reset I checked the internet and MMS APN settings but everything is blank.

How long ago did you do the hard reset and did you restore from a backup? This is the 3rd 920 I've had and the problem always seems to come back eventually.

Maybe its time to start raising hell if this is actually common. Definitely should be considered a critical bug.

this_guy

How long ago did you do the hard reset and did you restore from a backup? This is the 3rd 920 I've had and the problem always seems to come back eventually.

Maybe its time to start raising hell if this is actually common. Definitely should be considered a critical bug.

I did the factory reset 2 days ago, but I didn't do a backup restore. Yesterday I was planning to do another reset and restore my backup to see if MMS would still work, but its been a day and I still have those spinning gears. (The battery died midway through the day yesterday during spinning gears, so I put it on the charger and spinning gears continued.). Luckily I bought a cheap HTC 8xoff of eBay and had a backup phone.

I think Nokia's built in phone settings override anything that the user puts into the APN and MMS APN settings. When I did the factory reset, I no longer had Access Points in my settings (this is one of those settings that Nokia adds). Access Points, according to Nokia, is supposed to make it easy for people who switch carriers/sim cards. When I had Access Points in my settings it gave me 3 options - AT&T 3g, AT&T LTE 1, and AT&T LTE 2. All 3 worked for internet, but none worked for MMS. After my factory reset Access Points did not appear in my settings and everything worked. I think Access Points has borked settings and is the problem.

PG2G

I'll probably take my harassment to Nokia/Microsoft next time if it happens on my Lumia 1020. For now I will just do the new phone dance :p

Milchjon

Things I don't like so far:

-Why do all these apps insist on saving to the camera roll instead of the Saved Pictures folder. Stuff like Rando's circle border or these "Captured by..." tags annoy me when flicking through my pics.

-Battery doesn't seem too great so far. Definitely an improvement over my 800, but not as much as I hoped.

-Something that's not really the device's fault: Coming from another Lumia, you get used to the improvements (screen, quickness, apps) really quickly, and everything that could wow me requires additional investments (Qi, NFC, 4G).

-Haven't checked them on a bigger screen yet, but on the phone, the camera pictures feel a bit over-sharpened.

Milchjon

There's a setting in Rando that lets you turn off the picture saving.

And yes, I told you that Rando is amazing.

I want them saved. I just don't want them cluttering up my camera roll.

I also realized what makes it so special to me: You get glimpses into lives of people you wouldn't normally interact with due to a language barrier. You just don't normally get a candid look at a bedroom in Korea or a club in Sao Paulo.

kharma45

There's a setting in Rando that lets you turn off the picture saving.

And yes, I told you that Rando is amazing.

I just got sent fucking weird things

c4lfDuv.jpg

Milchjon

The one thing I wish they added is being able to send pics from the camera roll. I guess this "right here and now" thing is part of its concept, but it also limits you to sending worse pics sometimes. I'd rather surprise someone with a better pic.

zedge

You're acting as if Nexus phones only outprice Windows Phones. N5 will also be cheaper than every Android flagship.

Yep, said that too.

Oh, it did not do this before, weird. Really like it though.

Nope, always done that.

lol

Yea, tried that too with the call button on my car to send a text, works really well. It also understands the names in my contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom