• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshschw

There's absolutely nothing wrong with writing all reviews with a positive slant. If there's anything wrong with a device/product that ends up hampering the enjoyment of it... fine - discuss it. Otherwise, why is being overly critical a good thing? People use products to have a good time, so shouldn't the review be coming from that angle as well...? That makes much more sense to me.

I don't buy a phone because of things it doesn't do. I buy a phone because of things it DOES do.

zedge

There's absolutely nothing wrong with writing all reviews with a positive slant.

Uh I have to disagree with that. Although I could just read wmpoweruser if I did.

Reading actual impressions from normal people with varied tastes is better than some fanboy everything is wonderful camp.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Uh I have to disagree with that. Although I could just read wmpoweruser if I did.

Reading actual impressions from normal people with varied tastes is better than some fanboy everything is wonderful camp.

True, if only they treated all products reviewed like that though.

joshschw

That's not what I said though.
Looking at something with a positive viewpoint is not the same as blindly singing its praises.

Agree with you 100% that actual user impressions in the way to go. I don't base my purchases on reviews. I base it on reading impressions from real users.

This applies even more so with videogames!

JaggedSac

Anyone else with a 1020 updated to gdr3 have an issue where when on speakerphone if you switch to another app via the multitasker, the speakerphone no longer works? The person could hear me through it before I switched, but couldn't afterwards.

ElNino

Anyone else with a 1020 updated to gdr3 have an issue where when on speakerphone if you switch to another app via the multitasker, the speakerphone no longer works? The person could hear me through it before I switched, but couldn't afterwards.
I just tested this and it worked fine for me. I could both hear and speak on the 1020 in another app while the call was still active on speaker phone.

Suerte

Is there a WP8 Snapchat app? If so, is it decent?

There used to be a decent unofficial app called Swapchat, but Snapchat made them remove it - despite not offering an official app yet.

Apparently they're waiting on MS to implement functionality so that people can be alerted whenever someone takes a screenshot of their phone's screen.

Nero3000

On the review stuff, dLMN8R posted something on the Surface 2 thread which basically sums everything up (and can be applied to the phone too):

...we're stuck in this impasse where the press has let the competition define "this is what a tablet is, and any tablet which doesn't do exactly the same stuff or better must be reviewed worse".

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Hope we see some interesting app reveals as well tomorrow. Curious about the other events after the main conference.\

edit: speaking of apps, apparently TuneIn Radio got a nice update.

There used to be a decent unofficial app called Swapchat, but Snapchat made them remove it - despite not offering an official app yet.

Apparently they're waiting on MS to implement functionality so that people can be alerted whenever someone takes a screenshot of their phone's screen.
The swine!

Milchjon

evleaks_lumia_1320.jpg

Lumia 1320.

I assume it won't have a 1080p screen. Weren't they specifically talking about the 3 columns for "big" screens instead of "1080p screens"? Makes sense now.

Indians get a Nokia "show my position on a map on the lockscreen" app

evleaks_lumia_1520.png

1520 covers.

Milchjon

I don't really mind the third column. I suspect that, like multi-sized tiles, it's just a matter of being tasteful and not obnoxious with it.

The difference is that you could possibly ignore the different tile sizes and go OG Metro (sans gutter) before.

Here, the forced asymmetry makes it very hard to use wide tiles, unless you wanna pad them with small tiles on both sides. Which will probably look stupid too.

freshair

So there's speculation on r/windowsphone that an official Instagram app is going to be announced at this conference.

Tom Warren's tweet:

Got a feeling the Nokia event is gonna be super interesting tomorrow. I doubt everything has leaked.
https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/392401988727488512

Rubino's tweet:

I just wrote the article I've been wanting to write for a very, very, very, very long time. Can't wait to publish.
https://twitter.com/Daniel_Rubino/status/392398893586989056

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The instagram would've been awesome 4 months ago before 6tag came out. Now it's just anticlimactic and I hope that having an official app doesn't discourage Rudy from continuing to update 6tag. Or worse, that they ask him to pull his app from the store. I have a OneX, 6tag is flat out better than the official Android instagram app.

I'd rather have Path, 500px, Yahoo Mail, Dropbox, or any of the Google apps.

freshair

I agree but if it comes to fruitation, it'll be at least beneficial from a marketing standpoint and one less "essential app" to check off, as some folks would rather use an official version than a 3rd party one.

zedge

The instagram would've been awesome 4 months ago before 6tag came out. Now it's just anticlimactic and I hope that having an official app doesn't discourage Rudy from continuing to update 6tag. Or worse, that they ask him to pull his app from the store. I have a OneX, 6tag is flat out better than the official Android instagram app.

I'd rather have Path, 500px, Yahoo Mail, Dropbox, or any of the Google apps.

True for you and me, but for the masses this is still big news and a good thing for WP if true.

I really hope a Verizon phone is coming. I'm bricking my retail phones left and right at work--need a safe phone free from the shackles of being a test device

PG2G

I really hope a Verizon phone is coming. I'm bricking my retail phones left and right at work--need a safe phone free from the shackles of being a test device

Looks like Verizon is getting the better deice this time with the 929. Though looks like it might not coke til Q1

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yay, got my phone back. Pretty quick turnaround time. Cleaned out the dust from the FFC as well, hopefully they fixed it permanently (probably not). At this one angle I can notice some light bleed from the panel at the top. Oh well, need to learn to be a bit less anal.

zedge

Yay, got my phone back. Pretty quick turnaround time. Cleaned out the dust from the FFC as well, hopefully they fixed (probably not). At this one angle I can notice some light bleed from the panel at the top. Oh well, need to learn to be a bit less anal.

Heh, thats not being anal. Still ticks me off every time I look at mine. :p At least you got it fixed fast.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Since I got my phone back, its time to put GDR3 on. Do I just need to use that store link or do I have to sign up for stuff? Can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom