• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Bravo

So first things first. Go into Wifi, hit Advanced Settings and tell it to Keep Wi-Fi on under the lockscreen. It will save you a bunch of trouble later down the line.

Next is try checking for updates. Who knows how long your phone was sitting on the shelf. It may not have GDR2 installed. If there are no updates waiting, then your phone is probably already on it. In which case, turn on Glance on the phone (use peek view for battery saving). Then also in settings turn on double tap to awake. Those are pretty much the main Nokia Settings you have to worry about, set the rest if you feel like it.

Next thing is getting your Microsoft Account on the phone. You said you were having problems with that. Do you use Two-Factor Identification? If so you will have to generate an App Password from account.live.com

Once your Microsoft Account is on, associate the other accounts you want to put on the phone.

Then go grab some apps.
Firstly, go into Nokia Collection in the store and grab what you want out of there. For my recommendations.
Games:
'Wordament' Amazing and addictive word finding game
'Halo: Spartan Assault' Its halo

Apps:
'MyTube' is the best youtube client on Windows Phone
'Windows Phone Central' is amazing for news on everything to do with Windows Phone

Set up SkyDrive backup syncing, especially for photos.
Awesome thanks guys! I think I can't log in to my microsoft account because we haven't activated the phone yet so it doesn't really know what day it is lol.

Ah, J. Allard, how thou art missed.

He should be the one to head up Microsoft; the guy was ahead of his time.

But he was also part of Microsoft's problem. Nothing he did was part of Microsoft in any way (for the better or worse). Zune was created as a startup within the company and I tell you, some of those people almost got hostile, when you referred to them as MS people. Bill Gates canned the Courier, because it didn't have E-Mail (which is completely RIDICULOUS, considering what the device was for). The Courier also had its own OS, which was based on Windows CE6 R3 (same as Zune HD and WP OS7) and wasn't compatible with anything on the app side and that was just after the iPad launched and two years after the App Store launched. Not to mention that battery life would've been not that good.

I love the concept of the Courier and I still want such a device. An 8" Windows tablet with a proper digitizer seem to be the only thing that comes close. But whatever Allard's team came up with didn't seem ready for market and didn't fit into Microsoft's later vision anymore.

I love the concept of the Courier and I still want such a device. An 8" Windows tablet with a proper digitizer seem to be the only thing that comes close. But whatever Allard's team came up with didn't seem ready for market and didn't fit into Microsoft's later vision anymore.

I could easily see the surface mini having some kind of 'blade' that acts as a second screen. Someone then writes an app like the music one that specifically interacts with it. MS already has OneNote--and the Courier video shared a lot of concepts with OneNote--so I could see them bringing it back as a feature app in 8.2 or whatever the next update is.

If they can nail it with 5.0 (system settings are still dark blue in 4.4), then I probably wouldn't mind using Android again. It helps that Microsoft's services are available everywhere.

And speaking of settings and colors, the WP design team needs to do something about the phone settings. It's a mess, especially when you have Nokia putting 10 other options and functions in there. My Lumia 920 has 40(!) options listed under "settings". As good as Segoe WP looks, that menu is awful.

And for the love of god, please use some colors in your apps. Flat design doesn't always have to be black and white with some shades of grey.

I said this few months ago and some of you guys jump on me like was crazy. The setting is a complete mess and really need fixing. There should be one setting zone for connectivity all in one place, one for display and one for sound (if and when we get that independent volume control). I hope they fix this in 8.1 and not wait for another update, it is something that really ruin the ease of use.

MCD

I think it was me lol.

It wasn't messy till Nokia crammed everything there TBH. MS isn't helping with Rotation Lock sitting alone there too.

6tag 2.0 add tons of features (wpcentral claim it's better than iOS and Android).

Certain Microsoft stores are having a sale on 1020, free on contract.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I saw Tom Warren tweet about getting high amounts of data traffic in his People Hub when he checked it on Data Sense using GDR3. You guys may want to check this.

hadareud

The Translator
qhbEK3z.jpg

I've no friends :(

:( I could really use data sense. I've been hitting 90% of my cap the last couple months with half the month to go. Would be nice to see where that data is going, and how much I have left after I get that 90% notice from AT&T.

Did I read correctly that MS just released a remote desktop app for iOS and Android but not WP?

“Remote desktop on phones is a relatively rare usage scenario,” a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. “That said, we are working on a version of the app for Windows Phone. We’ll be able to share timeframe at a later point in time.”

They sound enthusiastic.

I think I want an $300 8" W8 tablet. Between Acer, Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo, I'll go with Lenovo due to build quality reputation. Plus, they make a cyan cover.

GrPZgPa.jpg

this_guy

I think I want an $300 8" W8 tablet. Between Acer, Dell, Toshiba, and Lenovo, I'll go with Lenovo due to build quality reputation. Plus, they make a cyan cover.

GrPZgPa.jpg

Just an fyi - their android tablets had crap screens. Not just bad compared to the best screens on the market, but I'm talking unusable. Constant flickering when scrolling down a website. Not saying this will be the case with their Windows tablets, but just be on the lookout.

Milchjon

GrPZgPa.jpg

No pen though, right?

The Office bundling is attractive, though.

Just an fyi - their android tablets had crap screens. Not just bad compared to the best screens on the market, but I'm talking unusable. Constant flickering when scrolling down a website. Not saying this will be the case with their Windows tablets, but just be on the lookout.

Engadget seemed to be impressed by the screen.

Yeah, they should start coming in as these 8" tablets hit stores at the end of this month or early Nov.

should be a fun $300 device. Funny when I hear about Droidheads pimping emus and stuff, these new devices play legacy Windows apps, ahahhaha. Basically every emu created, steam (simple games), etc.

lol AT&T.

I did get a courtesy message from AT&T that I'd used 65% of my data in about half the month.

Every month they send me 4 or so very LOUD TEXTS THAT IVE RUN OVER MY LIMIT AND IM GONNA DIE A PAINFUL DEATH.

I have unlimited data, so I laugh and continue on my merry way with Netflix just to spite them

Razdek

Banned
“Remote desktop on phones is a relatively rare usage scenario,” a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. “That said, we are working on a version of the app for Windows Phone. We’ll be able to share timeframe at a later point in time.”

They sound enthusiastic.

Why do they release apps for other phones on first before their own? Do they not realize the message that it sends to users?

Razdek

Banned

GrPZgPa.jpg

Waiting for impressions for the 8" tablets before deciding but also adding the 10" Asus one in there as well. Hope they're good and nothing too bad that prevents me from buying one.

hankster

Every month they send me 4 or so very LOUD TEXTS THAT IVE RUN OVER MY LIMIT AND IM GONNA DIE A PAINFUL DEATH.

I have unlimited data, so I laugh and continue on my merry way with Netflix just to spite them
You're pushing the limits of unlimited data. Clearly your some sort of haxor criminal....

Razdek

Banned
My Lumia 520 battery life is kicking ass lately after I switched the theme from dark to light. I had 3 push emails and 3 other ones with 30 minute interval checks going, light browsing and app use and it's been going on 3 days and 7 hours and has 7% left. I was getting horrible battery life before and had to charge it after 24 hours.

kharma45

My Lumia 520 battery life is kicking ass lately after I switched the theme from dark to light. I had 3 push emails and 3 other ones with 30 minute interval checks going, light browsing and app use and it's been going on 3 days and 7 hours and has 7% left. I was getting horrible battery life before and had to charge it after 24 hours.

Jesus! :eek:

Milchjon

Soooo...

Upgrading my phone might suddenly be within my means.

Now I'm wondering whether I'd be jumping the gun doing it without waiting for the Nokia event (or the Nexus 5 announcement :p).

But I guess I wouldn't be able to afford whatever's next anyway.

So, colors? I think I'm leaning towards cyan again recently.

And what are the most recent battery experiences on the 920? Because that's the thing I'm looking forward to the most coming from my 800.

Help me, peoples!

derFeef

So apparently I have 800mb of Spotify files on my phone without having it installed. How do I get rid of it? re-installing and un-installing does not help.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
And what are the most recent battery experiences on the 920? Because that's the thing I'm looking forward to the most coming from my 800.

Help me, peoples!

Milch, my man, get a 1020. Isn't there stuff you can sell or something?

Otherwise what other phones outside the platform are in the same price range as the 920? Its a great phone, but you'll want the best value if the purchase is a big chunk for you.

Otherwise what other phones outside the platform are in the same price range as the 920? Its a great phone, but you'll want the best value if the purchase is a big chunk for you.

The 920 is literally half the price of the 1020, when you buy them off-contract and the Nexus 5 is probably an even better deal.

Go and get the Nexus, Jon.

My 820 barely makes a day, even when I'm hardly using it.

Milchjon

The 920 is 269€. The 1020 is ~620€. I just can't justify that.

I'd rather get a small Win8 tablet for that difference.

The 920 is literally half the price of the 1020, when you buy them off-contract and the Nexus 5 is probably an even better deal.

Go and get the Nexus, Jon.

But it's still ugly and I'm still not willing to jump ship unless I can get a significantly improved experience a la a Note that's not puke inducing.

Guys, battery good/bad?

Cyan? Or yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom