• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this thing in the middle of the night?

...something something America everything should be oh my time.

Guess I'll check in on what they show in the morning.

Milchjon

Not expecting anything, the phones don't seem to be too appealing.

Just hoping for some nice gimmicks. Looking forward to that Guru thing and the NFC tags.

Also, is that going to be a record amount of announcements for one event from Nokia? Sounds like 5-6 phones, several accessories, some software stuff...

Edit: Thanks for the thread!

Fjolle

I'm not expecting anything exciting. A huge phone with huge specs that will be about as useful and well received as that HTC Max, and a huge budget phone that will be even less useful. Some Asha devices and a keychain and we're done.

f0lken

So VanMardigan, should I go with the 1520 or the 1020 this december that I renew contract?

It doesn't matter anyway, here in Mexico we will only have the 1020 which was my first option anyway

Zeknurn

Milchjon

Can't believe the event where they finally announce Instagram turns out to be the least exciting Nokia event in quite some time.

I wanted cyan gimmicks :-(

f0lken

We have instagram, now where is VSCO Cam :mad:

Wait, that's is how Rudy Huyn could still have the edge on Instagram, by baking the VSCO filters and options into 6tag

Fjolle

I might grab 1320 for my mom to replace her 820.

But 1520 for me is too big. I prefer 4.5 to 5 inch.

Yea. I was hoping for a high end 4" device. I doubt that I'll ever see that outside the iPhone. But the 1520 has like EVERYTHING you could want in a phone regarding to specs.. I have no idea whether the big screen adds anything usable though.

Zeknurn

Some new apps coming soon include:

ESPN F1
Plex
Xbox Video
Instagram
Vine

Here's the full list of apps.
http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...ng-to-windows-phone-here-s-the-full-list.aspx

and all the Nokia announcements
http://blogs.windows.com/windows_ph...windows-tablet-plus-here-comes-instagram.aspx

@joebelfiore: No news on International podcast support today guys... Sorry!

Oh Mr. B.

@joebelfiore: Also... 3 column start is set by phone manufacturer by SCREEN SIZE not resolution. I mistweeted last week. Need big screen.
@joebelfiore: For folks asking... Instagram, Vine, Xbox Video and most other apps are NOT Lumia-only. We're partnering to improve ecosystm

MCD

Yea. I was hoping for a high end 4" device. I doubt that I'll ever see that outside the iPhone. But the 1520 has like EVERYTHING you could want in a phone regarding to specs.. I have no idea whether the big screen adds anything usable though.

No pen though!

hadareud

The Translator

MCD

That's an impressive list.

Bubububu Microsoft has to sell websites as apps to people because they are so desperate. Still amazed by that ridiculous article from Tom Warren yesterday.

I really fancy that Booking.com web app.

Good enough for me!

catmincer

Xperia Z1S is what you're looking for. Plus to be fair Sony's Android customisations are actually non-offensive.

hadareud

The Translator
I really fancy that Booking.com web app.

Good enough for me!

Yeah, it makes sense to me too. I've pinned the NHL scores to my start screen through web apps for instance. Their mobile site is a lot more useable than the game enter app on android.

For them to put sites in the store rather than having to use a third party app to create a pin is a good idea imo.

Zeknurn

It really feels like WP and Nokia has finally got over the hump. With solid marketshare everywhere except in the US and developer support finally looking to be on board I really hope that Microsoft acquiring Nokia doesn't upset all of this.

Fjolle

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...31430032.46161.210351389002863&type=1&theater
1391983_575051805866151_663039382_n.jpg

I wonder if lastflowers will get a package from Apple :p

Milchjon

2520 looks sweet.

Surprised by just how many apps were announced.

Updates to LiveSight and Photobeamer sound great. So does the Storyteller app.

Wireless Charging still in the 1520, neat.

The naming scheme is out of control and should be revised.

hadareud

The Translator
WHAT??? Whyyy. FFS any source to this? Who on earth want a 6" phone without any stylus.

The 929 Verizon 5" phone will probably be out before the end of the year.

But if you're waiting for a 920/925 successor with a 1080p screen, that won't be out until WP8.1 which will come out around February or March (hopefully).

Milchjon

that was underwhelming.

the 525 is the most important upcoming device. better, cheaper or WP has no hope.

The most significant part of that event was the apps. Lots of stuff, and some important gaps stuffed.

Edit:

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren 3m

Stay tuned for more Nokia news… it’s not over yet.

I wonder if that refers to Verge coverage or in general.

hadareud

The Translator
The most significant part of that event was the apps. Lots of stuff, and some important gaps stuffed.

Yep.

It was a lot more interesting than I expected it to be. We knew all about the hardware in advance (as always with Nokia for some odd reason), but all the app announcements were a positive surprise.

Milchjon

Rudy being real subtle:

Rudy Huyn ‏@RudyHuyn 23m

@nokia, if you search a developer... I'm here and jobless since this today. At least, can I have a 1520 to "thank" me?

Edit:

GET HYPED

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren 2m

Nokia is demonstrating some INSANE imaging improvements

Edit edit:

RAW support incoming.

lumia_1520_Xperia_iPhone5.jpg

Good Job, Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom