• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ugh, I have an unexpected £800 bursary coming from uni in February. I might go the route of O2 refresh. I bet it's a rip off too.

You can sell your 820 as well. I sell stuff to subsidize buying phones off contract.

Also, we seem to be glossing over the announcement that Xbox video is FINALLY coming. That's one huge hole that was left over from the zune/xbox transition. I hope it comes in time for my vacation and it damn well better support file transfer from PC and/or phone download and offline playback for sales and rentals.

freshair

Indeed. It does not leave much else does it?

Looking at the top free apps in the iOS/Android App Store, it looks like the only notable ones left (as far as official clients):

Snapchat
Pinterest
Duolingo
Dropbox
Soundcloud
and a handful of games like Cnadycrush, Pet Rescue, etc.

Also there's no "in the now" apps that are missing like:
Tinger
OKcupid
Vscocam
a good video player w/ subtitle support
an alternative music player with seeking
Waze

PG2G

You can sell your 820 as well. I sell stuff to subsidize buying phones off contract.

Also, we seem to be glossing over the announcement that Xbox video is FINALLY coming. That's one huge hole that was left over from the zune/xbox transition. I hope it comes in time for my vacation and it damn well better support file transfer from PC and/or phone download and offline playback for sales and rentals.

The fact that it is coming as an app and not waiting for an OS update is encouraging. We might start to see core functionality distributed as apps instead of integrated into the OS, like Windows 8 and Android.

hadareud

The Translator
UEYo4vy.png

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Blew my mind that you could swipe left on the pro camera button to get all the options on screen at once. I have always modified the options one by one hah.

Blew my mind that you could swipe left on the pro camera button to get all the options on screen at once. I have always modified the options one by one hah.

How do you do this? Swipe where and from which option? Can't get it to work and that's what I want, too!

kilongs

Nokia Camera out now!

Is there a way to make the phone launch the Nokia Camera with the camera button, while its in a locked state?

I have it set as the default camera and it will launch when I hit the camera buttone while its unlocked, but when its locked it still requires me to enter my pin to unlock.

DedValve

Banned
God I hate my phone. I was scrolling a webpage and immediately a notification to update popped up and I accidentally hit ok with no way to cancel it.

Happened 5 minutes before a really important conference call. How convenient. Does Android/Ios do this crap too or can you at least cancel the damn update?

Really pissed me off.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
God I hate my phone. I was scrolling a webpage and immediately a notification to update popped up and I accidentally hit ok with no way to cancel it.

Congrats, you are the first person in the history of windows phone to complain about getting an update notification.

And bonus points for making it seem like the problem is frequent enough to hate your phone over.

Eanan

Happened 5 minutes before a really important conference call. How convenient. Does Android/Ios do this crap too or can you at least cancel the damn update?

Really pissed me off.
No, android notifications don't have prompts pop up, they all go into the drag down notification menu. I think iOS does though.

Goku

Banned
Most of the people who posted in the 'Nokia supporting RAW' format thread are WP regulars. I wonder how many posts that thread would have gotten if it were another platform. I'm quite disappointed that it doesn't have more reactions.

By the way, I thought that so many tiles on a big screen would look bad, but looking at that 6" screen with all those Live tiles somehow... makes sense. It's like having your own personal newspaper. I can't really describe it, but man the Lumia 1520 and WP look amazing in those hands on videos and I really like the start screen.

Is there a way to make the phone launch the Nokia Camera with the camera button, while its in a locked state?

I have it set as the default camera and it will launch when I hit the camera buttone while its unlocked, but when its locked it still requires me to enter my pin to unlock.

There's a setting that make Nokia Camera the default camera app. Good luck navigating the setting though. :p

the camera button/icon. Just drag it left a little

Great, thanks!

By the way, I thought that so many tiles on a big screen would look bad, but looking at that 6" screen with all those Live tiles somehow... makes sense. It's like having your own personal newspaper. I can't really describe it, but man the Lumia 1520 and WP look amazing in those hands on videos and I really like the start screen.

Yeah, the 1520 is very tempting for me.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Lots of good news today, unless you are Rudy. Still love his apps.

Also I'm really happy the Nokia Camera app fixed the problem where when you take a pic and go to the preview that colour and sharpness changed.

Commodore

Man, that new Nokia Camera app, so good. So much utility there. Love their opening tutorial upon opening the app. Wish they'd also include a pro tutorial for all the pro settings in the same fashion.

Most of the people who posted in the 'Nokia supporting RAW' format thread are WP regulars. I wonder how many posts that thread would have gotten if it were another platform. I'm quite disappointed that it doesn't have more reactions.

Nope. Too many tiles, looks horrible. Maybe it would be ok if there was a larger 3x6 tile.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Too many tiles, looks horrible. Maybe it would be ok if there was a larger 3x6 tile.

I think it is only as horrible as the person doing the layout.

Also, does it seem weird that Xbox Video is coming as an app? I guess it will most likely have integration with the Music+Video hub anyways.

Did they announce whether Lumia Black will be hitting the 520? Assuming I am at the mercy of T-Mobile to update the 521 variant, but it would be a good sign if the former got it.

Also what have they done to the nice, slim glance screen font :(

PG2G

Also, does it seem weird that Xbox Video is coming as an app? I guess it will most likely have integration with the Music+Video hub anyways.

Its a good thing and something I hope continues. It means they can update stuff like Xbox Music and Xbox Video much more frequently than if they are part of the core OS.

I think it is only as horrible as the person doing the layout.

No matter who does the layout it will be impossible to have a symmetrical layout, and impossible to have a single tile fill the entire width of the screen. Bad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Man, that new Nokia Camera app, so good. So much utility there. Love their opening tutorial upon opening the app. Wish they'd also include a pro tutorial for all the pro settings in the same fashion.

On the Nokia Smart Cam app, hit the ellipsis and then tap "tutorial", there is a very nice walkthrough of all the controllable features. I've used it several times to sharpen up on what situations to use various controls with.

J. Bravo

Is there any way to put my 920 on silent? And is there a way to make it so that i can put my phone on silent and still have alarms go off? Also, has anyone heard anything about an official snapchat app coming to wp8? I miss snapchat :(

edit: oh holy shit I just saw the post above me lol. woot!

freshair

Is there any way to put my 920 on silent? And is there a way to make it so that i can put my phone on silent and still have alarms go off?

To silence or turn on the ringer using the volume buttons
- Press up or down on the Volume buttons to make the volume bar appear.

- Do one of the following:
Tap Ring
basic-icon-ringer-on.png
or Ring + Vibrate
basic-icon-ringer-on.png
to silence the ringer.​
Tap Vibrate
basic-icon-ringer-vibrate.png
or Silent
basic-icon-ringer-off.png
to turn on the ringer.​

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/how-to/wp8/start/ringtones-sounds-and-volume

Alarm volume and ringtones
Alarm volume is separate from the overall phone volume and can't be changed. As long as your phone is on, your alarms will still ring out nice and loud even if you turn down or silence the phone volume. So be careful to turn them off before a night out at the symphony.

Commodore

On the Nokia Smart Cam app, hit the ellipsis and then tap "tutorial", there is a very nice walkthrough of all the controllable features. I've used it several times to sharpen up on what situations to use various controls with.

Excellent. Just checked it out. Assumed the tutorial was simply the same camera tutorial upon start up. But Nokia nailed with the deeper tutorials explaining white balance and ISO levels etc. and why'd you'd use them. Very impressed right now.

DedValve

Banned
Congrats, you are the first person in the history of windows phone to complain about getting an update notification.

And bonus points for making it seem like the problem is frequent enough to hate your phone over.

I would say congrats on your passive aggressiveness since all I was doing was venting but I don't have the energy for sarcasm.

freshair

Thanks, good to know. problem with the silence info is that when I tap the vibrate or ring+vibrate, nothing else comes up. it's annoying. only have those two for options.

Yah, the only real way to silence your phone is to manually set the volume to 0, which is kind of annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom