• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
This week I gave in to temptation and ordered a Surface 2. Didn't exactly plan on it, but after I decided to postpone replacing my notebook till next year and I figured that I'd probably be better of with a 10" device than with an 8" tablet, I thought I might get a Surface 2 when I see it on sale. And promptly notebooksbilliger.de had a pretty good deal on it (http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/microsoft+surface+2+32gb+inkl+surface+type+cover+2).

I regret the Nexus 7. Android just isn't an exciting tablet OS imo, and there are far too few tablet apps. Beautiful screen and ok performance, but I should've gone with a win8 tablet, probably the Dell. Even the $199 surface rt would've been more interesting to me. I don't want to sound like I hate the device, but I should've just waited. It doesn't help that I don't use google services, I've moved away from Gmail, Calendar, search, and I don't use g+. Even the YouTube player seems lame compared to Mytube.

I regret the Nexus 7. Android just isn't an exciting tablet OS imo, and there are far too few tablet apps. Beautiful screen and ok performance, but I should've gone with a win8 tablet, probably the Dell. Even the $199 surface rt would've been more interesting to me. I don't want to sound like I hate the device, but I should've just waited. It doesn't help that I don't use google services, I've moved away from Gmail, Calendar, search, and I don't use g+. Even the YouTube player seems lame compared to Mytube.

now that I have a surface 2 and ipad mini, my nexus 7 has become completely useless.

maeh2k

Yeah, the stuff I listed is the baseline, obvious features that just have to be there. Lastflowers has already alluded at surprises.

If they want to remain in the competition, they really have to bring it this time. Just achieving feature parity with Android isn't going to change anything. There won't come a point where apps suddenly are no longer an issue or where other OEMs suddenly choosing Windows Phone over Android.
To really gain market share, they'd have to do something big and disruptive. And it's not Kid's Corner.

If they want to remain in the competition, they really have to bring it this time. Just achieving feature parity with Android isn't going to change anything. There won't come a point where apps suddenly are no longer an issue or where other OEMs suddenly choosing Windows Phone over Android.
To really gain market share, they'd have to do something big and disruptive. And it's not Kid's Corner.

hey man, kid's corner is great with my kids

MCD

I just got off my lazy ass and finally reformatted my 8.1 beta and installed 8.1 retail.

Yeah, I know not related to the topic but Win8 threads are usually dead.

PG2G

Kind of annoying to hear some idiot on Vergecast talk about how the Windows app platform (WP, Win8, XB1) is bad because it is HTML5 and not native... :O

You shouldn't be allowed to be completely ignorant about something and talk about it publicly lol. They were discussing why you can't take pictures directly from the Instagram app. It is fairly obvious that these guys haven't used a WP device for more than 10 minutes.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
You shouldn't be allowed to be completely ignorant about something and talk about it publicly lol.
sorry the one to tell you this, but that is the only qualification needed for every media outlet. If these people knew what they were talking about they would not be doing talk radio etc.. They would actually be in the industry that they are talking about and making 10 times more money.

I'm about to throw the 1020 against the wall right now. I'm in Japan and the 1020 is my camera. Today after the Nokia camera update my phone rebooted in mid picture and deleted EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!! Glad I had a backup from before but everything I took today around 100 pictures is completely gone. Fuck you Nokia/and or Microsoft! Just for shuts and giggles I took a few more photos. Rebooted and they're gone too.

New reply to old post, but was the automatic SkyDrive upload not available over there due to poor signal or some such? Just curious because I have it enabled on my phone to always send to SkyDrive just in case something like that were to happen (thankfully it hasn't).

New reply to old post, but was the automatic SkyDrive upload not available over there due to poor signal or some such? Just curious because I have it enabled on my phone to always send to SkyDrive just in case something like that were to happen (thankfully it hasn't).

He's in Japan on a vacation, And from what I've read roaming is a wallet killer, a Local Sim card is hit or miss because of different standards, and since its the 1020, Skydrive auto upload wont do the 48MP versions.

ElNino

Nice. My buddy just got a 1020. Just for clarification, to put your full res pics on the computer you need to transfer them manually in file explorer correct?
I haven't even got home xD but I think you are correct
Yep, as far as I know that is the best way. I believe if you use something like Picasa then you can import them as well that way, but I find using Explorer to be easiest way.

Ok guys, this is a serious question. I am seriously considering a tablet which runs Win8 (real Win8). My specific needs for a tablet require actual real Windows, as the software I want to run doesn't exist on iOS or Android. Is Surface 2 Pro the best one? The price is super high on those, what is the Atom processor on the Dell Venue Pro 11 really like?

Ok guys, this is a serious question. I am seriously considering a tablet which runs Win8 (real Win8). My specific needs for a tablet require actual real Windows, as the software I want to run doesn't exist on iOS or Android. Is Surface 2 Pro the best one? The price is super high on those, what is the Atom processor on the Dell Venue Pro 11 really like?

There's a 300$ windows tablet thread by dlmn8r

maeh2k

Really depends on how much performance you need. The Pro 2 is great and really powerful, depending on your needs it might not be the best one. Besides being expensive it's also thicker and heavier than other tablets.
Unless you are doing something really demanding, the new Atoms might well be sufficient for you (probably similar performance as a Core 2 Duo from a couple of years ago). They are cheaper, thinner, lighter, and get more battery life.

If you don't need much battery life you might also find some good deals on the Surface Pro 1. Apart from battery life and the new kickstand position they haven't changed much.

I love my Dell Venue Pro 8. Great battery life, play Hearthstone, Steam and streaming Spotify plus having full browser.

ElNino

I actually tried to remember which was your gamertag PG2G.

Mine is the same as Gaf as well.
Mine is ElNino77 for those who don't have me on their list. I don't have Forza yet (stupid FS didn't ship until Friday) but I should be up and running next week sometime.

After using Lumia 920 for a year I think I have had enough of it.
- Poor music player lacking some key feature like playlist editing
- Occasional battery drain.
- Blurry (soft) image in good light and too slow shutter speed in low light.
- Very limited apps selection, especially for me who is not heavily invested in MS ecology.
- Bing is garbage.
- Occasional sim error. I've never removed my sim and it just started happening last month. This is the last straw.

Such a shame. I like its UI speed and solid build but those cons are just too much. Time to go back to Android.

- Very limited apps selection, especially for me who is not heavily invested in MS ecology.
- Bing is garbage.
- Occasional sim error. I've never removed my sim and it just started happening last month. This is the last straw.

Such a shame. I like its UI speed and solid build but those cons are just too much. Time to go back to Android.

Just curious, what about Bing don't you like?

flippedb

Banned
- Bing is garbage.

Don't be a caveman, use a dedicated player for music. A Sansa Clip+ is better than nearly every phone out there and costs $40. Plus, battery lasts for over a week, depending on your music playing habits.

kharma45

Bing I've found isn't great for whatever reason when I use the Search button. On a desktop results are usually fine but on my phone it seems to throw up a load of random shit for results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom