• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3| Apollo has landed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719849

LG Electronics shifts focus from smartphones to TV...a proactive response to reduce risks.

Struggling in the smartphone business, LG Electronics is shifting its focus to TV. As the financial circles began to put pressure on the chaebol conglomerates using funds as their weapon, LG Electronics is believed to have started to make adjustments to send a positive signal to the market. With the year-end reshuffling just in the offing, a massive shake-up of the MC Division (smartphone) and the HE Division (TV) is forecast.

If only they had gone Android.

I mentioned earlier 6snap didn't send me a text for verification, but it also appears that I can't open any snaps.

Anyone else?

Rudy's already submitted a new version, so I'm not too worried.

Yeah, any snaps older than 30 days, it seems, won't open for me (I haven't been able to use it since that other app was pulled from the Store). I'm sure he'll get it fixed.

I am still waiting for Mint.

It's in the Store right now, it just can't be downloaded.

Commodore

Really hope Mint leverages the platform and has a live tile that updates current balance or budget info or hopefully a bunch of options we can use as a live tile, there's a ton of data there to display.

probably won't have a live tile at all

Milchjon

No new apps today?

hqdefault.jpg

I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA!

And oh, I hate that I can't sort by folders.

definitely wish this was in. I have an impeccably groomed 200gb collection which would benefit. However one plus is that I'm a big fan of how my collection/library roams across desktops/laptop/tablets so that I can browse through music I like without having to think only about recent albums

this_guy

WTF how do I get the People Hub to stop showing every single post by all these people I have never heard of wishing my Facebook friends happy birthday

Yes this happened to me recently too. I can understand seeing people I know wishing other people I know a happy birthday, but I don't want to see people I don't know wishing them a happy birthday.

All these important and high profile apps are available now and I feel like absolutely nothing has changed.

If you are like me, you never understood why we needed those particular apps in the first place.

An official Sonos app, or a working BNP Paribas app, those would be gamechangers for me.

PG2G

I would like apps to stop relying so much on background tasks. There is no reason an app like Instagram should use a background task instead of true push notifications.

Hope it gets fixed before it is out of beta.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Its time to think about the 8.1 update. Windows Phone Blue should have these at a minimum:

Keyboard:
-Swype-like input option
-Text to speech EVERYWHERE

People Hub
-Like comments
-add attachments to comments
-built in Instagram support

Explorer
-Favorites/Bookmark sync
-Full screen mode
-swipe nav bar

UI
-Double long tiles
-Tile folders
-Notification Center "app" with live tile
-"Cortana" ties together various plug in voice commands

Pictures Hub
-More built in editing tools

Xbox Music
-Playlist creation
-Gapless playback
-Xbox Radio

Bing
-revamped UI with device and web search (like Win8)

What did I miss?

KageMaru

Something recently change with facebook integration? Before I was able to msg people on Facebook through the messaging app, but now I can't seem to find this option.

Milchjon

HDR and a working Panorama feature are at the top of my list.

Also, I'm hoping for stuff that isn't just about catching up, but also some forward-thinking ideas.

flippedb

Banned
I mentioned earlier 6snap didn't send me a text for verification, but it also appears that I can't open any snaps.

Anyone else?

Rudy's already submitted a new version, so I'm not too worried.

I had the same problem with the verification. Just make sure to add a "+" before your country code.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
HDR and a working Panorama feature are at the top of my list.

Also, I'm hoping for stuff that isn't just about catching up, but also some forward-thinking ideas.

Yeah, the stuff I listed is the baseline, obvious features that just have to be there. Lastflowers has already alluded at surprises.

No OS update and only one OEM supporting the platform. Not hard to see why.

That's most certainly true. MWC 2014 might be funny.

That's because YOU haven't changed.

I don't need to change. I'm pretty happy with Windows Phone as it is, but as I said before, I have no issues switching to Android, if Google keeps working on their design. Kitkat looks good. It's just too bad they're being assholes about their Nexus line.

If you are like me, you never understood why we needed those particular apps in the first place.

An official Sonos app, or a working BNP Paribas app, those would be gamechangers for me.

It's true that I never had any need for these apps. And it's funny that you mentioned Sonos, because I was thinking about that recently. Microsoft still sucks, when it comes to accessories. There's no support for Xbox Music or Video on any speaker or receiver, while there's plenty support for Spotify, Pandora and other serivces.

And of course it's the same with other little things.

Are we ever going to see a Philips Hue remote app for Windows Phone or Windows RT? Who knows.

Milchjon

The Verge prefers the 2520 over the Surface 2.

Oh, and apparently the Power Cover comes free now, but I'm too lazy right now to go back and check the conditions.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
UKers, the 520 is now £60 on PAYG upgrade at Carphone Warehouse.

Do you need to provide proof you're upgrading when ordering online or can you just slap any old sim in when it comes? I'm on a T-Mobile contract but the screen on my phone is knackered. I could use something cheap-ish to keep me going for a few months.

maeh2k

The Verge prefers the 2520 over the Surface 2.

Oh, and apparently the Power Cover comes free now, but I'm too lazy right now to go back and check the conditions.

This week I gave in to temptation and ordered a Surface 2. Didn't exactly plan on it, but after I decided to postpone replacing my notebook till next year and I figured that I'd probably be better of with a 10" device than with an 8" tablet, I thought I might get a Surface 2 when I see it on sale. And promptly notebooksbilliger.de had a pretty good deal on it (http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/microsoft+surface+2+32gb+inkl+surface+type+cover+2).

I like the look of the 2520 and the Nokia apps, but it's more than I'm willing to pay.

kharma45

Do you need to provide proof you're upgrading when ordering online or can you just slap any old sim in when it comes? I'm on a T-Mobile contract but the screen on my phone is knackered. I could use something cheap-ish to keep me going for a few months.

It needs to be an active PAYG SIM, and by active they mean it's been active for 6 months and been topped up. If you don't have one just find someone on PAYG and ask to borrow their number for it. Bung it in online, follow the instructions and bobs your uncle! All their phones are unlocked too so just get whatever is cheapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom