• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ape

Banned
Getting used to the new way to take screen shots. Too much new stuff!

I also like how when you are moving tiles around they all become transparent. Very cool.

catmincer

The new music app is awful. It constantly sits on looking for music and then crashes. Also, no more background images?! The new video one is not too bad though.

Also and this sounds nutty but the update fixed my reception issues. I was getting one bar on 4g but now it is full reception.

KageMaru

Used to have a Windows Phone (WP7), and then switched to Android. Thinking of upgrading to an 8.1 phone in the future. Can anyone with a high end quad-core Lumia device with 2 GB RAM speak on the performance differences/speed in comparison to a lower end dual-core WP with 1GB of RAM? Are loading times shorter? Does it still do that "Resuming..." thing when you reopen an app that was already open sometimes?

I noticed a slight improvement in the speed of the UI when moving from the 928 to the Icon. Loading times are shorter but the improvement differs from app to app. On 8.1, I haven't ran into the Resuming... screen while switching apps yet. However it looks like you can only have around 7 apps open at once.

So here's a weird one. My microphone refuses to work outside of a phone call...and even then only when I don't have headphones plugged in).

Anyone got any suggestions (925 btw)?

Same thing happened to me when I updated. Restarting the phone fixed the issue.

hwalker84

Any way to fix Cortana's pronunciation of people's names? My wife's keeps getting worse. 7.5 was perfect. 8 altered the pronunciation. 8.1 gets it even worse.

bigmf

Any way to fix Cortana's pronunciation of people's names? My wife's keeps getting worse. 7.5 was perfect. 8 altered the pronunciation. 8.1 gets it even worse.

I have this same problem. It mangles my last name. I can fix it for what Cortana calls me, but the wife and kids names are still mangled.

Magni

No idea if it works, but maybe set her name as yours and teach Cortana how to pronounce it from there?

Ape

Banned
It hasn't been released to the public. Wait for the Store to come back online.

Nothing to wait for. Never went down for me.

I've been using the "swype" kb and it's not terrible. I'm getting better at it. Still don't know if I like it too much. I have to admit it's better than what I had used on Android from what I remember.

How do you download podcasts? Looks like I can only stream them?

Note: Typed this with Swype, pretty cool.

Edit: Looks like there's an update waiting in the store? Maybe that'll help?

my voicemail has messed up. i don't know if it's an 8.1 thing (seems weird if it was...) but it happened after i updated. tells me it has been 'updated' and to try again in five minutes, but it happens each time. i then get a text telling me to try calling a given number instead of using the voicemail button, but that does the same thing. hmm.

also the music app is beyond terrible.

How do you download podcasts? Looks like I can only stream them?

Note: Typed this with Swype, pretty cool.

Edit: Looks like there's an update waiting in the store? Maybe that'll help?

Go to Series Settings from the Application Bar, and it will have an option for how many episodes to keep.

Klocker

So is it known that Cortana won't take a dictated email? Coming later?

Also love that you can now share internet pages with OneNote

hadareud

The Translator
She doesn't understand me when I say Cortana.

No, I don't want to cut Anna. And I not know either of kantana or kirtana.

Ape

Banned
No, for me. I want her to call my name after every response so it feels more personal. I thought that was the point of a personal digital assistant.

I'm not using my real name with Cortana.

clBqxt0.png

Cortana does amazingly well with my Canadian Accent... She was even able to transcribe what I was saying earlier when I choked on my words and flubbed a sentence pretty badly.

Why isn't this in more regions again exactly? She obviously does well on English, it should at least be available in places which speak it.

Right, but does she say that name when interacting with you?

Also, the lack of a comma in the main keyboard screen is very annoying.
You can add the comma back in Inside the Keyboard >> advanced settings.

Ape

Banned
Right, but does she say that name when interacting with you?

Also, the lack of a comma in the main keyboard screen is very annoying.

Not yet. Considering that this is a "beta" I'd bet that she does read to you the greeting upon launch eventually.

I hope so at least, because hitting play over and over again is starting to feel forced.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
You can add the comma back in Inside the Keyboard >> advanced settings.

Thanks

Not yet. Considering that this is a "beta" I'd bet that she does read to you the greeting upon launch eventually.

I hope so at least, because hitting play over and over again is starting to feel forced.

Ah, Ok. I thought I read some other posters taking about her calling their name and I thought I was doing something wrong.

Cortana is gimped where I live, I can't save work and home locations. That's disappointing, but setting reminders is extremely helpful for me.

hadareud

The Translator
Thanks

Ah, Ok. I thought I read some other posters taking about her calling their name and I thought I was doing something wrong.

Cortana is gimped where I live, I can't save work and home locations. That's disappointing, but setting reminders is extremely helpful for me.

How do you save work and home locations for Cortana. I live in the US and I don't see it either.

Works for me in the UK. Go to notebook, places, search for the address and then you can save it as home, work or give it a nickname.

Nero3000

Is there a difference between a restart and full shut down? Maybe try that?

I've done so many ways of restarting the device. I've plugged in headphones and headsets repeatedly and it can't seem to recognise the audio.

EDIT: Won't record audio with video. Now it's serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom