• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made a thread, realized it was retarded, so copypasta from that.

Okay GAF, long story short, I'm on my parent's Verizon plan and needed to trade my Galaxy S3 for my Mom's HTC 8x so she'd let me have MY upgrade here in a month. (Yes it's stupid but oh well). I was planning on getting a Moto X, but... huh, turns out I really like Windows Phone 8. The 8.1 preview is really nice, and I don't give a single flying shit about app support (I basically use my phone as a web browser media player, really), so I've found myself wanting a Windows Phone on upgrade.

Now, I was really wanting the Moto X for a slew of reasons, not least of which is the physical size of the device. The S3 is just... a little bit too big for me. The 8X fits in my pocket really well, though I wouldn't mind a tiny bit more screen size.

Which leads me to my next point, where do the Icon and 928 really stack up in this category? Is the Icon as big as/bigger than an S3? Or is it even just a little smaller?
Also, camera comparison. I don't actually care about the megapixels, I'm much more worried about actual camera performance, leaning a bit towards the indoor usage. I've heard the 928 actually has a better flash, but unless I can just have the flash "stay" on (as opposed to, well, flashing) I can't say I'll use flash, ever.
Thoughts? Opinions? Also, any generic WP8 tips/ideas?

catmincer

Okay GAF, long story short, I'm on my parent's Verizon plan and needed to trade my Galaxy S3 for my Mom's HTC 8x so she'd let me have MY upgrade here in a month. (Yes it's stupid but oh well). I was planning on getting a Moto X, but... huh, turns out I really like Windows Phone 8. The 8.1 preview is really nice, and I don't give a single flying shit about app support (I basically use my phone as a web browser media player, really), so I've found myself wanting a Windows Phone on upgrade.

Now, I was really wanting the Moto X for a slew of reasons, not least of which is the physical size of the device. The S3 is just... a little bit too big for me. The 8X fits in my pocket really well, though I wouldn't mind a tiny bit more screen size.

Which leads me to my next point, where do the Icon and 928 really stack up in this category? Is the Icon as big as/bigger than an S3? Or is it even just a little smaller?
Also, camera comparison. I don't actually care about the megapixels, I'm much more worried about actual camera performance, leaning a bit towards the indoor usage. I've heard the 928 actually has a better flash, but unless I can just have the flash "stay" on (as opposed to, well, flashing) I can't say I'll use flash, ever.

The 928 is slightly smaller but heavier. . Camera is really good in low light/inside.

KageMaru

Performance seems more consistent after the recent update on my Icon. The delay between hitting the lock button to the screen turning on seems mostly gone. Also before there were times where I'd pick up my phone, it was extremely hot, and when I try to unlock it, there would just be a black screen with "loading..." instead of the home screen, sometimes forcing me to do a soft reset and find the battery massively drained. Well that hasn't happened yet. The screen also hasn't locked up on me yet, where I had to lock/unlock my phone before it would open whatever I tapped on.

Too early to see if these issues are fixed for good or how much battery life is improved, but I'm loving it so far.

The Icon is slightly bigger than the S3 (137x71x9.8 vs 136.6x70.6x8.6 mm). So if you thought the S3 was too big, you'll probably feel the same about the Icon. The 928 is a little smaller than the Icon but slightly thicker surprisingly (133x68.9x10.1 mm). Both the 928 and Icon have bigger screens than the 8X (4.5" vs 5" vs 4.3" respectively). Both the Icon and 928 produce awesome pictures, though they both have advantages. The Icon produces noticeably more detail while the 928 handles low light pictures a bit better. The Icon can also do great low light shots, you just might need to adjust the ISO (I think?).

With all this said, I would still go with the Icon. It supports RAW files, unlike the 928, the screen is MUCH better, more future proofed, and is just an excellent phone. However if size really is a major concern for you, you shouldn't be disappointed with the 928 either, you just may miss out on features added in the future. I know the 928 won't support 5.1 audio recording or Miracast under the 8.1/Cyan update. Think the same is true for the new live photos that's coming with 8.1, but I'm not sure.

huh? Mine has always worked.

Cortana had issues working when connected to WiFi for some users. She refused to work for me when connected to my home WiFi until I wiped all the saved data and factory reset my phone. Odd as it didn't make sense to me, but I'm happy it works now.

Most issues I had with the previous build now seems to be gone too. But today I had a bug that haven't happened until now: My phone was locked and I received a notification, but afterwards the screen never went black again. I had to manually lock it. But it was just this once.

catmincer

Most issues I had with the previous build now seems to be gone too. But today I had a bug that haven't happened until now: My phone was locked and I received a notification, but afterwards the screen never went black again. I had to manually lock it. But it was just this once.

That happened all the time with the previous build too. :S

catmincer

If this is real....

Then I'd very much consider it! I figure now Microsoft owns the device division, the exclusive apps will be available to Samsung, HTC etc as well in due course, so sans the camera there'll be a reason to actually buy non Microsoft Windows Phones.

Razdek

Banned
Opened the Netflix app and saw that it doesn't even support profiles. Even this app is behind compared to Android and IOS.

hadareud

The Translator
It's strange, because for me battery life was only worse for the first few days and it's been absolutely fine since. IE isn't using that much battery for me and I'm using it all the time.

Let's hope Nokia's fw fixes the issues for everyone.

hwalker84

Anyone with app issues in 8.1? It seems several apps of mine since the update launch and close instantly. Seems like a soft reset gets things working properly again. Apps mostly running off of the MicroSD Card.

Lumia 1520 with 64B MicroSD card

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anyone with app issues in 8.1? It seems several apps of mine since the update launch and close instantly. Seems like a soft reset gets things working properly again. Apps mostly running off of the MicroSD Card.

Are the problem apps all on the sd card?

That's a known issue, afaik.

derFeef

The (future) 8X of my girlfriend just had a giant exclamation mark on the screen upon boot up.. what the hell does that mean. It booted up normally after that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. Windows actually got the TitanFall companion app day and date with the other platforms. Didn't think so since news outlets reported only the others.

Bullza2o

The (future) 8X of my girlfriend just had a giant exclamation mark on the screen upon boot up.. what the hell does that mean. It booted up normally after that.

Wait my phone did this too right after the update. The battery percentage was not calibrated properly so I tried soft resetting it, only to end up with the exclamation mark. I just kept soft resetting and it eventually booted normally. Lumia 920 here.

derFeef

Well looks like 8.1 killed my 8X.
On reboots I have weird symbols (like battery charger upscaled and with artifacts) and I am stuck at a reboot loop right now.

edit: also I can't turn it OFF. It's reboot only...

Bullza2o

Well looks like 8.1 killed my 8X.
On reboots I have weird symbols (like battery charger upscaled and with artifacts) and I am stuck at a reboot loop right now.

edit: also I can't turn it OFF. It's reboot only...

Soft reset? (hold Vol down + power for around 10 seconds)

Hey speaking of Bluetooth issues, does anyone have a car stereo that they feel works really well with WP Bluetooth? I've been in a couple rentals lately and the Nissan Altima system seems pretty good, at least compared to the Toyota Camry I had. But the best was actually a Bluetooth-FM modulator thing I bought to stick in my non-Bluetooth equipped Subaru. If you held down the Call button it had the same effect as holding down the Windows key on the phone, getting you right to voice commands. Really convenient.

If you have an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth I really want to hear how it performs!

n64coder

I noticed that with WP 8.1, it doesn't sync the email addresses for my gmail contacts that don't have a label. Most of my contacts just have a blank label. If I change it to Other/Home/Work, then it will show up. I don't remember having this issue with 8.

Is anyone elses text message app crash from time to time when you try to open it?

Sometimes ill go to check a text and when I open the app, it will open and hang there there 2-5 secs and then crash. When I click on it again it opens fine. Lumia 1020

MarkusRJR

Do we have any word on smartwatch support?

I love WP but android is really compelling. I feel like the only reason I'm still on android is Xbox Music (and lately Xbox Video). The Xbox Music app on android is the most barebones POS and there is no Xbox Video apps for iOS/android. On android Xbox Music there is literally only searching, collection, and radio. There's no way to browse related artists, top sellers, new releases, etc. Absolutely embarrassing.

I feel like once my year is up (and my music subscription I've had since the Zune days expires, which I won't resubscribe). I might muster the energy to change ecosystems entirely. I love Windows Phone but android is just so much more developed, with constant new features (or so it feels). I'm going to wait for 8.1 to see if it's worth sticking on the platform or not.

I'm finding the lock screen a bit stuttery/sticky when I slide it up just after I've received a notification. I don't remember it being like this in 8.

fernog323

After a bad experience with the chumps at the Apple Store I've decided to ditch the iPhone. I'm interested in W.P. but I have a few questions I hope someone here maybe able to answer.

I basically use Podcasts all day at work using Apple's Podcast app & the included Apple ear buds with the three button controller. Is it possible to use this type of headphones with W.P.? And is there a podcasting W.P. app that allows you to skip forward and backward in 15-30 second increments?

Also how does the W.P. Twitter app compare to Tweetbot?
Is the Mint app good?

And lastly, should I get the Lumia 925 on Tmobile right now, or hold off until some other phones are introduced for Tmobile?

Special C

Hey speaking of Bluetooth issues, does anyone have a car stereo that they feel works really well with WP Bluetooth? I've been in a couple rentals lately and the Nissan Altima system seems pretty good, at least compared to the Toyota Camry I had. But the best was actually a Bluetooth-FM modulator thing I bought to stick in my non-Bluetooth equipped Subaru. If you held down the Call button it had the same effect as holding down the Windows key on the phone, getting you right to voice commands. Really convenient.

If you have an aftermarket stereo with Bluetooth I really want to hear how it performs!

My Chevy Volt bluetooth works great with text and voice, haven't tried streaming music with it yet.

NeOak

After a bad experience with the chumps at the Apple Store I've decided to ditch the iPhone. I'm interested in W.P. but I have a few questions I hope someone here maybe able to answer.

I basically use Podcasts all day at work using Apple's Podcast app & the included Apple ear buds with the three button controller. Is it possible to use this type of headphones with W.P.? And is there a podcasting W.P. app that allows you to skip forward and backward in 15-30 second increments?

Also how does the W.P. Twitter app compare to Tweetbot?
Is the Mint app good?

And lastly, should I get the Lumia 925 on Tmobile right now, or hold off until some other phones are introduced for Tmobile?

About the headphones, Nokia made headphones like that which are better than the $2 iPhone headphones. Any will work really, only Apple uses a different system for the headphones.

Look for the Nokia WH-701. Or if you feel like spending a lot more, get the Purity headphones.

If you want the 925, you can get one new for $220 at Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16875205382&ignorebbr=1

I really wouldn't buy the Lumia 920 or 925 at this point anymore. The hardware is two years old by now and the OS support might get cut off after the Cyan firmware update or next year at the latest.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Getting close to having my 920 for 2 years. Other than some build issues off the start it has been a great phone. Canada better get some new WPs in the Fall.

Do we have any word on smartwatch support?

I love WP but android is really compelling. I feel like the only reason I'm still on android is Xbox Music (and lately Xbox Video). The Xbox Music app on android is the most barebones POS and there is no Xbox Video apps for iOS/android. On android Xbox Music there is literally only searching, collection, and radio. There's no way to browse related artists, top sellers, new releases, etc. Absolutely embarrassing.

I feel like once my year is up (and my music subscription I've had since the Zune days expires, which I won't resubscribe). I might muster the energy to change ecosystems entirely. I love Windows Phone but android is just so much more developed, with constant new features (or so it feels). I'm going to wait for 8.1 to see if it's worth sticking on the platform or not.

I can't find it now, but MS filed a patent for a smart watch recently, I think. Check WP Central.

I'm now running WP8.1 again. I mist say that the OS seems to be a whole lot more stable and there doesn't seem to be any strange things going on with my music library anymore, especially with regard to track ordering.

I think I probably lucked out yesterday as I managed to install WhatsApp before the app is pulled.

f0lken

WTF is happening with whatsapp, not only on WP, on iOS two of my friends are getting their messages half an hour later or even more time. Hopefully being removed from the store means an update is coming very soon

Careful using Xbox Music app for music purchases. Twice already I have bought individual songs, got billed, but only the sample of the song downloaded. I dread having to call/email MS for a refund. The 99 cents isn't worth my time, I'd rather take the loss.

WTF is happening with whatsapp

You'd think a company that makes software to help people communicate would be a bit better at....communicating. They really should use their Twitter account more.

Edit: Someone on wpcentral pointed out that it's been pulled in the past to address security issues, so that might explain things.

RM8

Guys halp. I'm giving my old Lumia 800 to my father, it's going to be his first smartphone. The thing is he wants something like Google Maps, that acts as GPS. Is there anything comparable?

Guys halp. I'm giving my old Lumia 800 to my father, it's going to be his first smartphone. The thing is he wants something like Google Maps, that acts as GPS. Is there anything comparable?
Do WP7 devices even support the Nokia Here apps? Because if it does, that would be your best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom