• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Many frame drops with the G3? The videos I saw of it made it seem to stutter a lot more than the M8, and things just weren't as instantaneous. Linus of Linus Tech Tips fame did a comparison between the two and there was a noticeable delay for the G3 bringing up multitasking for example versus the M8.

The G3 is foooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine so far. Kinda missing the OLED goodness of the S5 and it's also a bit of a huge bitch, but it feels so right. LG's skin is also rather nice, which is surprising considering how crap they were until now.

Edit: I so want a 1030, but I'm not sure if they'll ever throw another bombass camera in a 930 kind of phone. MS will probably want to keep that for future flagships.

kharma45

If only they'd have waited for the next new chips, I'm sure there wouldn't be any lag or stutter then.

Aye, and it's not like they'd have had to have waited long as the S5 Prime is out with it now in Korea.

The G3 is foooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine so far. Kinda missing the OLED goodness of the S5 and it's also a bit of a huge bitch, but it feels so right. LG's skin is also rather nice, which is surprising considering how crap they were until now.

Edit: I so want a 1030, but I'm not sure if they'll ever throw another bombass camera in a 930 kind of phone. MS will probably want to keep that for future flagships.

LG's skin looks good, much nicer than Samsung's and Sony's. Some nice touches in it too, really like what they've done with the clipboard.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Linus of Linus Tech Tips fame did a comparison between the two and there was a noticeable delay for the G3 bringing up multitasking for example versus the M8.

M8 smoked the s5 too. Not surprising since I read the m8 has the fastest touch screen response time of any phone, including the iPhone.

kharma45

I keep getting tempted to hit buy on the M8. I think if it had the camera from the G3 on board, or even just kept the OIS from the M7, I'd have bought it by now. It seems almost perfect bar that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Van, how is the M8 camera compared to the 1020?

I like how this is a more civilized Android thread now

The camera on the m8 is good enough....... If I had never owned a 1020. I love the m8 but I'm not trusting my family memories to it. I pulled out the 1020 for my sons birthday party this past weekend. Glad I never sold it.

Edit: to make this more on-topic, I was surprised at how choppy and laggy the 1020 felt after using the m8 for a few weeks. I hop the Nokia firmware brings back the smoothness that was a hallmark of the platform.

hadareud

The Translator
There was an update to the iplayer app this morning.

Looks a lot nicer now. Were you able to watch live tv before? I don't think you were.

hwalker84

The camera on the m8 is good enough....... If I had never owned a 1020. I love the m8 but I'm not trusting my family memories to it. I pulled out the 1020 for my sons birthday party this past weekend. Glad I never sold it.

Edit: to make this more on-topic, I was surprised at how choppy and laggy the 1020 felt after using the m8 for a few weeks. I hop the Nokia firmware brings back the smoothness that was a hallmark of the platform.

Agreed. WP8.1 has definitely hurt the performance of the 1520 and 1020. I'm hoping its just the firmware. My 1020 is less buggy than the 1520 though. I need to see this McClaren pronto!!!

frontieruk

Agreed. WP8.1 has definitely hurt the performance of the 1520 and 1020. I'm hoping its just the firmware. My 1020 is less buggy than the 1520 though. I need to see this McClaren pronto!!!

once they release the customised hardware drivers you'll be good, atm it's like running a Titan on Micosofts stock VGA driver.

M8 smoked the s5 too. Not surprising since I read the m8 has the fastest touch screen response time of any phone, including the iPhone.

that little bit always gets me, mainly because the Galaxy Note 3 released under a week after the 5S and had the fastest touch response of any phone, but people keep talking about the slower device that held that title for 4 days instead of the former reigning champion.

kharma45

I guess I'll have my SLR for proper shots. I liked it when I had the 920 as I still had a good camera in my pocket for spur of monent shots rather than a phone that was just 'good enough'.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
that little bit always gets me, mainly because the Galaxy Note 3 released under a week after the 5S and had the fastest touch response of any phone, but people keep talking about the slower device that held that title for 4 days instead of the former reigning champion.

I think people overlook it because Samsung is not known for responsiveness in their interface. And rather than build on the progress made in the GN3, they released the janky GS5. That exact hardware, plus WP8, would be more responsive and have better battery life. Would've been a good option if Samsung had bothered with an Ativ refresh.

JaggedSac

Is touch response something that even matters at this point in time? Are there phones out there in this day and age where shit doesn't happen when you touch it?

PG2G

Looks like Microsoft completely opened up the third party API for Xbox Music. It now supports playback and collection management.

Pretty big, means we could actually get a quality third party app with all of the capabilities of the first party app

Looks like Microsoft completely opened up the third party API for Xbox Music. It now supports playback and collection management.

Pretty big, means we could actually get a quality third party app with all of the capabilities of the first party app

I just want a live tile like from WP7 and an artist UI like from Zune HD.

MCD

RUDY PLZ

Whatsapp for me has been pretty good. They just need to update their notifications to the new type. (and allow for thread specific silent ones).

Usually it's fine, but eventually I try to open it and get stuck forever on a resume screen, than I force quit the app, and it goes really fast to the main screen but takes a while to become responsive again.

For some reason if I quit the app while it's performing ok the start up is fast, it's just when it's stuck that I have that.

Wow, this is huge.

Worst case scenario I can code one myself that suits my needs :p

JaggedSac

Holy shit...Sonos, make it happen folks, make it happen.

Please make our app.

so they're throwing in the towel and letting someone else make a decent app?

I thought all this Android talk would stop as soon as the UPS app dropped.

Not even the Michelin app could stop the Android talk.

ffiupId.jpg

Razdek

Banned
Seriously, even after the update yesterday that was supposed to improve load times, it's horrible, if not worse.

They put out a press release every two weeks how there's an update that makes it better but when I use it there's no difference. I swear they put more work into the release notes than the actual app.

PG2G

I do feel like its even worse now. At least before I saw icons and could scroll through without artist names. Now it is just blank.

Dont know why it's so hard to load up a damn list

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly don't have those problems. Maybe my collection isn't as big of maybe because my music is all from Xbox Music?

Yeah, the xbox music now is really fast for me too (I do get some crashes, but even those are minimal now). I just checked and have 486 songs in my collection (all of them from xbox music). I dunno if that's a lot...

Edit: Oh, And I've download most of them, there are less than 40 songs that I added recently and haven't downloaded yet, maybe that's it?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the xbox music now is really fast for me too (I do get some crashes, but even those are minimal now). I just checked and have 486 songs in my collection (all of them from xbox music). I dunno if that's a lot...

Edit: Oh, And I've download most of them, there are less than 40 songs that I added recently and haven't downloaded yet, maybe that's it?

Not sure how many songs, but I have about 6gigs worth downloaded from Xbox Music and I usually have my streaming collection switched off since it is almost all downloaded.

According to music.xbox.com, I have ~11,000 songs. According to the Music app on Windows 8.1, ~9,000 are in "the cloud".

Still, I can't have added that many more from the time I have WP 8 to WP 8.1, so I have no clue why it's so slow.

I do feel like its even worse now. At least before I saw icons and could scroll through without artist names. Now it is just blank.

Dont know why it's so hard to load up a damn list

This.

According to music.xbox.com, I have ~11,000 songs. According to the Music app on Windows 8.1, ~9,000 are in "the cloud".

Still, I can't have added that many more from the time I have WP 8 to WP 8.1, so I have no clue why it's so slow.

This.

Shit, that's more than 20 times the amount I have XD

Still nothing absurd that would justify it being so slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom