• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why Windows Phone cannot rebound

"This may seem like just another spring, a season among others. But look closer — we are in fact witnessing the final hope for any meaningful future for Windows Phone being snuffed out."

"All of that helped give Windows Phone 3% to 5% slice of the smartphone market. And now that pitiful toehold is already eroding, washed away by the flood of $100 Android smartphones. There is no coming back from this debacle."

"It is the death knell for the entire Windows Phone project."
Is it that time of the month again? Screw North America, just focus on gains overseas. Sure it lost market share in 3 markets, but they are also ignoring the markets which grew.

Am I the only one excited for Threshold?

Nope, I'm excited for Threshold. Once it comes out Cortana will be on every platform which means more data for them to use to improve her, the stores will hopefully be unified and all of the problems from the Sinofsky Regime will have finally been solved.

Milchjon

Also, official UPS, Comedy Central and Xing apps came out today.

And unlike the websites, where they locked me out recently, the CC app even offers some eps of The Daily Show and Colbert Report outside the US!

MCD

Why Windows Phone cannot rebound

"This may seem like just another spring, a season among others. But look closer — we are in fact witnessing the final hope for any meaningful future for Windows Phone being snuffed out."

"All of that helped give Windows Phone 3% to 5% slice of the smartphone market. And now that pitiful toehold is already eroding, washed away by the flood of $100 Android smartphones. There is no coming back from this debacle."

"It is the death knell for the entire Windows Phone project."

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/features/item/19922_Why_Windows_Phone_can_rebound.php

Anyone have any airplane mode experience on 8.1? Just got off a flight and couldn't play any of my local media in airplane mode. (music and podcasts)

Sordid

Anyone have any airplane mode experience on 8.1? Just got off a flight and couldn't play any of my local media in airplane mode. (music and podcasts)

My 620 is almost exclusively in airplane mode and my mp3's play fine. Are your songs downloaded from XBox Music or anything? Might be DRM related.

did you try a reboot? Usually if something like that happens a reboot fixes the issue. Stupid that it happens in the first place.

MCD

The sixth update for the Windows Phone 8.1 Music App is now available in the store! The team is working hard to improve stability and performance and today’s update takes another step in that direction.

In version 2.6.123.0, you will find:

◾Improvements to how the app behaves under poor connectivity conditions.
◾Improved download error handling so that messages are less frequent and more clear.
◾When your phone is charging, the app will update your collection from the flash or SD card in the background.

◾Addressed 70 functional bugs. A few notable issues we fixed:

◾Unexpected playlist/playlist item duplications appearing.
◾Downloads not resuming after a network connection was lost and regained.
◾Purchased songs appearing twice in the collection.
◾Showing “looking for music” when nothing had changed.

Some things to look forward to in future releases:

◾Performance – we’re continuing to invest in improving the responsiveness of the app.
◾Live Tile support.
◾Kid’s Corner support.
◾General UX improvements.

http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/know...sic-on-windows-phone-8-1-update-now-available

stktt

Banned
The latest update is much faster, and some of the missing animations have been restored so the experience isn't as jarring. The shuffle bug was fixed, too.

stktt

Banned
I really don't understand the fascination with smart bands/watches/glasses/crocs. Then again, I'll probably look foolish in a few years when everyone has six different smart devices strapped to their body.

NeOak

I really don't understand the fascination with smart bands/watches/glasses/crocs. Then again, I'll probably look foolish in a few years when everyone has six different smart devices strapped to their body.

Wait until the dick-bands are announced -.-

hwalker84

How do you link contacts texts back to the correct person? For example your texts at least mine seem to link to Facebook profiles. For some reason my phone automatically linked the wrong Facebook account to one of my best friends. When I removed it all communication from him is now linked to the wrong person. wtf !!

Ex:

Friend 1: Have texts dating back a long time
Friend 2: Just a Facebook friend that I don't even have his number aka no history of communication

Phone for some reason recently linked friend 1 and 2

After I notice this I unlink friend 2 from 1

Now all past texts from friend 1 are now linked to friend 2 instead of friend 1

I can only see smart devices going as far as Wrist (And Eyes by the end of the decade once the tech catches up). Beyond that it will mostly be impractical.

How do you link contacts texts back to the correct person? For example your texts at least mine seem to link to Facebook profiles. For some reason my phone automatically linked the wrong Facebook account to one of my best friends. When I removed it all communication from him is now linked to the wrong person. wtf !!
Don't you just go into the People hub, select the person, select Link then tap the links you want to remove?

did you try a reboot? Usually if something like that happens a reboot fixes the issue. Stupid that it happens in the first place.

Yeah that actually fixed it. When I was at the airport waiting for my second flight, I tried to play a podcast and got the same error, restarted and we were good to go.

-------------

DL'd Xbox Music update, still truly baffled by how bad the performance is.

Sordid

Can you disconnect the 8.1 music app from Xbox Music yet? I just want an option to stop it from messing with my files :(

Milchjon

44yqpj4.jpg

Supposed mid level Lumia.

hadareud

The Translator
Looks very surface-y, but that may be the metallic colour.

Quite like it. Wonder what they mean when they say mid level (ie 720 or 820 successor).

Nero3000

Looks very surface-y, but that may be the metallic colour.

Quite like it. Wonder what they mean when they say mid level (ie 720 or 820 successor).

Guess: 720p screen (OLED true black), snapdragon 400, 8mp non pureview, NFC, Wireless charging, Miracast ?

Pretty much 920 era hardware at a lower price point.

Paganmoon

44yqpj4.jpg

Supposed mid level Lumia.

Very small bezel, nice.

So is the 930 supposedly the new "flagship" for now, or can we expect a new phone in the fall? My contract ends in the fall, and looking forward to switching the 1020 for some better hardware. 930 doesn't make the cut due to no Glance. If no other phones, damn, I might have to look at an android....

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think McLaren will be the last chance I'll give to WP. I absolutely love the Lumia 1020 and I want a similarly ballsy phone with all of WP's goodness, but the OS is just fucking stagnant in terms of functions and apps.

Right now I'm testing a LG G3 and it's fucking ba-na-nas, not to mention that a more powerful Galaxy S5 is on its way. I just cannot justify brand loyalty anymore.

Doffen

I think McLaren will be the last chance I'll give to WP. I absolutely love the Lumia 1020 and I want a similarly ballsy phone with all of WP's goodness, but the OS is just fucking stagnant in terms of functions and apps.

Right now I'm testing a LG G3 and it's fucking ba-na-nas, not to mention that a more powerful Galaxy S5 is on its way. I just cannot justify brand loyalty anymore.

Ooo oh, no, baby please don't go!

hadareud

The Translator

bububu folders!

Anyway, I will definitely get the 1030, I just can't go back to a phone with a regular camera.

Personally, I couldn't give a fuck about whether the processor is numberd 800, 801 or whatever. A good, 1080p screen (with glance), a good, fast processor (800 will do me) and an updated and improved camera that is a lot faster, better microphone array, built in wireless charging etc. is what I want. Preferably in a slightly lighter and thinner package than the 1020, but really, I don't give too much of a shit about that either.

Feature and app wise WP has me covered at the moment.

derFeef

3D touch! Finally a feature that makes the OS interesting to all the Android lovers because you will not use it more than two times.

e: 830 looks nice.

kharma45

Many frame drops with the G3? The videos I saw of it made it seem to stutter a lot more than the M8, and things just weren't as instantaneous. Linus of Linus Tech Tips fame did a comparison between the two and there was a noticeable delay for the G3 bringing up multitasking for example versus the M8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom