• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

Feels like it's not selling the phone as anything but a piece in your Windows puzzle.

Could do the exact same commercial with pretty much any WP device of the last two years.

So I've been driving a bunch of different rental cars over the past couple months, and it's time to compare Windows Phone bluetooth compatability between different manufacturers! (did I already do this? Either way, additional info here)

Worst: Kia Optima. Fairly straightforward to connect the phone, didn't drop any connections, but you have absolutely no control over the phone's music functionality from any controls on the car, whether on the steering wheel or on the car radio itself. The display also shows no information beyond "phone MP3" or something like that. Having to pull out the phone to skip a track was dangerous.

Problematic third place: Toyota Camry. The Toyota has some good info on it's display and it was easy to skip tracks from the steering wheel, but connections dropped quite frequently and sometimes would require a phone reboot to reconnect. It also confusingly has the ability to navigate through folders/albums/artists to select a song, but it selects ONLY that song. So it won't automatically go on to the next track, everything just stops when the song you selected finishes.

Meh second: Nissan Altima. Single line display on the radio, steering wheel controls worked, no connection problems. But no wow factor.

Winner: Honda! (might be biased because after renting all of the above ended up buying a Honda CR-V) It has a big display standard that displays the artist, album, track number, and title. The big surprise is that it can actually handle non-English characters! All of the Japanese album titles and artists showed up fine. I'll have to check if it will show contact names in Japanese too! Other than that, steering wheel controls work great, music starts playing on shuffle automatically as soon as you switch to bluetooth music (or start the car if it was already selected) and the connection has been great so far.

One problem with all of the above is that they all have their own voice navigation superseding that of the phone. So a special prize goes to the bluetooth FM adapter I bought for our old Subaru, which brought up the phone's voice command easily by holding down the call button. I wish I could get that on my Honda!

All tested with a 1520 running 8.0

dLMN8R

Anyone use LastPass? How is the Windows Phone app - worth the $12/year required for mobile?

Any other options you'd recommend instead?

MCD

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of buying Nokia? The WP division has been mismanaged to the point where it's forcing its users to go somewhere else.

I could understand this if we somehow got Google apps in return but no, WP is getting NOTHING in return. In fact it is getting worse.

Just plain incompetence.

Razdek

Banned
I could understand this if we somehow got Google apps in return but no, WP is getting NOTHING in return. In fact it is getting worse.

Just plain incompetence.

I'm sure there will be some in here still using and telling stories about WP long after MS abandons it about how unique it was and that it was never given a chance. Much like the Zune users are doing now.

Zeknurn

Maybe this was Google's plan all along? Have Elop leave Microsoft to get Nokia bought out by Microsoft and then have him return to Microsoft and convert them into running Android?

Elop is a double agent.

MCD

There is a pertinent story about a man who was working on an oil platform in the North Sea. He woke up one night from a loud explosion, which suddenly set his entire oil platform on fire. In mere moments, he was surrounded by flames. Through the smoke and heat, he barely made his way out of the chaos to the platform’s edge. When he looked down over the edge, all he could see were the dark, cold, foreboding Atlantic waters.

As the fire approached him, the man had mere seconds to react. He could stand on the platform, and inevitably be consumed by the burning flames. Or, he could plunge 30 meters in to the freezing waters. The man was standing upon a “burning platform,” and he needed to make a choice.

He decided to jump. It was unexpected. In ordinary circumstances, the man would never consider plunging into icy waters. But these were not ordinary times – his platform was on fire. The man survived the fall and the waters. After he was rescued, he noted that a “burning platform” caused a radical change in his behaviour.

We too, are standing on a “burning platform,” and we must decide how we are going to change our behaviour.

Liberty4all

Banned
If that leak is true, its back to IOS for me.

I do love my 920 though. Best camera I've ever had on a phone. Also it will be hard having to go back to wired charging. Wireless charging was supposed to be the future ... :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yikes. Was hoping to come back to the platform later this year with McLaren. I wonder if they'll just shift software on those devices or release them as is if this is all true.

Nero3000

going to android is a weird move.

I wonder if its more of a branding thing and are going to bring in the Nokia X line under the Lumia brand.

Otherwise, yeah back to iOS. I will miss my dedicated 2-stage camera button.

Ganondolf

going to android is a weird move.

I wonder if its more of a branding thing and are going to bring in the Nokia X line under the Lumia brand.

Otherwise, yeah back to iOS. I will miss my dedicated 2-stage camera button.

They are just rebranding and expanding the Nokia X range. MS has to change the name as they want to move away from the Nokia name in about 2 years or less. so the Nokia X will change either to the Lumia X or a low numbered Lumia (300).

people are making this a bigger deal than it is. they have been making android phones since the X range was released. if its called Nokia X or Lumia X its still the same phone (just like it looks as the surface rt models are also getting the Lumia name).

all arm products under 1 branding

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm gonna wait at least until McLaren until I decide about my WP future.
Yup. I just want another bombass camera phone with something unique and useful.

I they screw the pooch, I'm getting a Google Play edition Galaxy S5. And that will be the end of it.

Milchjon

I basically want a 2014 version of a Lumia 920, and I kinda don't feel like the 930 is it.

920 had all kinds of new fun stuff. 930 is a simple upgrade.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I basically want a 2014 version of a Lumia 920, and I kinda don't feel like the 930 is it.

920 had all kinds of new fun stuff. 930 is a simple upgrade.

Exactly how I feel. The 930 feels like a very progressive upgrade instead of another groundbreaking device. The OG 920 was very disruptive and brought a crapload of attention to its camera and screen, whereas the 930 is just... nice, I guess.

MCD

Elop joins Nokia. Elop issues "Burning Platform" memo. MS pay Nokia to go exclusive WP. Nokia loses out big style to Android makers, esp HTC and Smasung. Nokia share price plummets. MS buys Nokia manufacturing. MS changes WP requirements so other manufacturers can easily roll out WP and Android on the same hardware. Nokia/MS starts rolling out Android devices.

There's a hell of a story to be told here one day.

From reddit.

Seriously fucked up.

In other, more happy news:

Nokia Lumia 1525

Snapdragon 801
Ships with Windows Phone 8.1
Rest the same as 1520

This will surely turn those terrible sales around for MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom