• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say Windows Phone really nails the process of upgrading your phone. It works way better than I thought it would going from the 8X to the 930. Apps, start screen layout, additional exchange accounts, text messages... all there. Way better experience than setting up a new Android phone.

How exactly does Windows Phone 8.1 handle device encryption? Is there any way for me to enable it directly?

Unfortunately, only available via exchange policy. Which you can do yourself, just not on your phone.

EDIT:
a way via office 365: http://winsupersite.com/office-365/managing-mobile-devices-office-365
I know there's an easier way, but can't remember off the top of my head.

R3L9Hed.png

This is my current home screen on my Lumia 925. I think it looks less busy by adding white space and blurring the background picture.
Love it. What's the app that shows the current date?

Razdek

Banned
Windows Phone was never and still isn't a priority for Microsoft's developers on other teams. It was even worse back in the Windows Phone 7 days.

Why is it so hard for them to say to their internal developers that if you're going to develop an app, make it for WP first and then you can port it to other platforms later. That should be a company policy.

maeh2k

Once again I don't see that fucking "My Commute" feature (on the new phone). I can't remember how I fixed that on the 8X. It wasn't an issue with the app version or the region setting. No idea if the fix worked via Maps or Drive.

PG2G

Why is it so hard for them to say to their internal developers that if you're going to develop an app, make it for WP first and then you can port it to other platforms later. That should be a company policy.

Because they are competition in those markets and prioritizing windows phone could result in other services not being able to compete as well. Can't let one failing product sink the ship

PG2G

NexGen reader had a major update and is now a universal app. Performs so well not, not that it had a problem before but there is a noticeable difference

Razdek

Banned
Because they are competition in those markets and prioritizing windows phone could result in other services not being able to compete as well. Can't let one failing product sink the ship

You must be joking. If that's the case then what's the point of buying a WP if they're going to release their own apps first on a competing platform? At least simultaneously launch it on your platform if you're going to do that.

PG2G

You must be joking. If that's the case then what's the point of buying a WP if they're going to release their own apps first on a competing platform? At least simultaneously launch it on your platform if you're going to do that.

Assuming limited resources, a WP-first focus leaves them behind in the major markets and leaves them vulnerable. If Office isn't on iOS and Android then someone else can come along and take their place, etc. People aren't going to switch to WP to have Office, they are just going to use something instead of Office (which is going to weaken Office as a product on a whole).I understand what you mean, but WP is a single product within Microsoft and should not dictate the decision making for every other product.

Of course that is all under the assumption of limited resources. I feel like Microsoft is a large and rich enough company where they should be able to make stuff happen.

KageMaru

Joe actually talked about how they prioritize app development in his AMA:

"Microsoft DOES NOT treat WP as a second class citizen! We have a very senior, well-funded team that has amazing support from our senior leadership and from other groups.

What does happen time to time is that teams who are working on cross platform work make prioritization decisions (or are limited by the nature of WP itself) such that features show up on other platforms first -- we are a company about devices AND SERVICES and when you think about something like Skype it's important that they remain compelling and competitive on other platforms as well.

As a general rule, we work with teams to make sure WP users aren't lacking in benefits... and all the teams here are getting better and better at this... Skype now has WP-specific benefits, the Remote Desktop client is out, etc." (Source)

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphon...fiore_from_the_windows_phone_team_ama/ch7tkch

I've been trying out a Nokia Lumia 1520. Real nice phone. Made me want a Windows Phone. Not on Sprint though means I can't have it.

The 1525 is rumored to be coming out to multiple carriers. Maybe that will be released on your carrier or you can get it unlocked.

maeh2k

Microsoft should focus on Android and iOS first. That's where all the users are. There's no point in trying to leverage their services to attract people to Windows Phone. That's not happening. And it would leave them vulnerable on other platforms.

... besides, if Windows Phone users really cared about quality apps and about getting them in a timely manner, they wouldn't use Windows Phone in the first place.

dLMN8R

Feedly - Next Gen Reader
Twitter - Twabbit
Reddit - Baconit
Transit - Here Transit and OneBusAway (each serves a different purpose)
Traffic - Waze
Instagram - 6tag
Vine - 6sec
Video editing - Video Tuner
Stocks - MyStocks
Weather - Weather Flow (especially for my lock screen)
Alternate weather program - Amazing Weather HD
YouTube - MyTube
Flixter
LastPass

Games:
Wordament
Snap Attack
Where's My <X>
Microsoft games (solitaire, Minesweeper, etc.
Snes8x

kharma45

worried about voiding my warrenty or not getting the proper update once it's out tho.

The latest update is the proper one. Warranty wise it makes zero difference. I had to get my 620 seen to when I had 8.0 GDR3 dev preview on it and Nokia didn't bat an eyelid warranty wise.

Treo360

Picked up a 1520.3. I love it as it has all the bands necessary to work on both tmobile and ATT lte plus 3g too. No carrier bloatware and 32gb built in is nice too. Sadly, there is no wireless charging for this.

kharma45

Picked up a 1520.3. I love it as it has all the bands necessary to work on both tmobile and ATT lte plus 3g too. No carrier bloatware and 32gb built in is nice too. Sadly, there is no wireless charging for this.

Should be if you've a 32GB one. It was just the 16GB AT&T one that didn't have it.

Miles X

So I got the 8.1 update on my 1020, but still have 2 rows of tiles?

Edit - fixed! So we can't have a tile take up 3 slots? Shame.

BTW, when will stuff like this be implemented?

lock_5F005F00_test2_5F00_111A487B.png

mulac

Lumia 930 is out here in Oz this week.

Sorely tempted to give it a try and jump from my Nexus 5 - but I love that phone too damn much.

Saying that, the 930 is a saucy beast...

My neighbor upstairs just got a Nokia WP. How do I know? He has a nee alarm that goes off every morning and it's the same Nokia tune that my phone has. Annoying having to look for the dismiss on your phone then realizing it isn't your alarm.

JaggedSac

My neighbor upstairs just got a Nokia WP. How do I know? He has a nee alarm that goes off every morning and it's the same Nokia tune that my phone has. Annoying having to look for the dismiss on your phone then realizing it isn't your alarm.

You have floors of cardboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom