• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I moved some pictures of my phone by mistake, and after copying back I can't reframe them, even if I copy the original unedited hull res file alongside the downsampled one. Any way around this?

Edit: Figured out. The Nokia Camera on the settings page has an option to look for pictures in the camera folder, and once you chose this the reframe options reappear.

I've only had my new 1020 for about... 12 hours... and I'm already seeing the fucking navigation bar from IE burning into the screen.

Fuck me. Fuck everything. So is there any good way to remove a burned in image from WP? I remember my old 1020 had the navigation bar burnt in badly to the point where it was noticeable all the time, and I never figured out a way to get rid of it.

I've only had my new 1020 for about... 12 hours... and I'm already seeing the fucking navigation bar from IE burning into the screen.

Fuck me. Fuck everything. So is there any good way to remove a burned in image from WP? I remember my old 1020 had the navigation bar burnt in badly to the point where it was noticeable all the time, and I never figured out a way to get rid of it.
How long do you browse? I have the 1020 since last year and have yet to see any burn in. 12 hours seems crazy, I would go get it exchanged.

How long do you browse? I have the 1020 since last year and have yet to see any burn in. 12 hours seems crazy, I would go get it exchanged.

I was browsing GAF and reading the Naruto thread for like an hour non-stop and when I hit the backbutton I noticed a small burn in. The refresh button was showing. I immediately put my phone to sleep and it's gone now, but shame I'm already worrying about it. :(

This is my 1020 I got back in August last year. The burn in is even worse in person and you notice it on any light screen.

BsFHIocCMAAccVj.jpg:large

The URL in the burn in is even NeoGAF... hahaha.

Maybe it's time to switch to DarkGAF on mobile, that'll probably stop it a bit.

Paganmoon

I was browsing GAF and reading the Naruto thread for like an hour non-stop and when I hit the backbutton I noticed a small burn in. The refresh button was showing. I immediately put my phone to sleep and it's gone now, but shame I'm already worrying about it. :(

This is my 1020 I got back in August last year. The burn in is even worse in person and you notice it on any light screen.

BsFHIocCMAAccVj.jpg:large

The URL in the burn in is even NeoGAF... hahaha.

Maybe it's time to switch to DarkGAF on mobile, that'll probably stop it a bit.

I uhh, think you've got a bigger issue with the cracked screen. could theoretically be the cause of easier burn in as well.

I uhh, think you've got a bigger issue with the cracked screen. could theoretically be the cause of easier burn in as well.

Oh, haha that's my old 1020 that I got in August. This is my new 1020 that I got 16 hours ago.

The burn in isn't that bad yet, but it's already showing after reading GAF for a while. :( Otherwise my new phone is great. I'm loving it, I mean, it does also have 2 black splooches on the OLED screen, but I don't even care since I know OLED screens just have those issues, after owning a Vita.

KageMaru

If the rumors of Android emulation coming to WP is true they should just throw in the towel. What's the point of being another Blackberry?

I agree with this. I see no point in allowing android apps to run on WP. This looks like it'll do much more harm than good. This would remove any incentive to develop for WP and would give people less reason to stay with WP on their next upgrade. This didn't help blackberry and in the end it just highlights a weakness. I want native apps on my phone. Doing this would just push people like me away.

I love WP, I think it's a great platform, but it's disgusting how much MS has fucked up and continues to fuck up in the mobile space. It would be great to have a sit down with the people in charge so we can maybe learn the method behind their madness.

I agree with this. I see no point in allowing android apps to run on WP. This looks like it'll do much more harm than good. This would remove any incentive to develop for WP and would give people less reason to stay with IP WP on their next upgrade. This didn't help blackberry and in the end it just highlights a weakness. I want native apps on my phone. Doing this would just push people like me away.

I love WP, I think it's a great platform, but it's disgusting how much MS has fucked up and continues to fuck up in the mobile space. It would be great to have a sit down with the people in charge so we can maybe learn the method behind their madness.
What if MS was in control of which apps get emulated? Lets say Tinder for example or any other developer that has given the platform a big "F You."

I haven't used a 1020 in like a month and a half so I forgot. Are the Windows Keys/Back Key/Search Key suppose to light up? They should have LEDs right?

Because mine don't light up?

Razdek

Banned
What if MS was in control of which apps get emulated? Lets say Tinder for example or any other developer that has given the platform a big "F You."

Still dumb. As Kagemaru said all it does is highlight your weakness and do you think this emulation is actually going to be any good?

ElNino

Amazing how difficult it is to find a free weather app with a good live tile and GPS that actually works.
I know it isn't free, but Amazing Weather has worked quite well for me in that scenario (Live tile follows my location).

I think Blue Skies did that as well for me when I was trying it, but I'm not currently using it so I can't confirm.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I know it isn't free, but Amazing Weather has worked quite well for me in that scenario (Live tile follows my location).

I think Blue Skies did that as well for me when I was trying it, but I'm not currently using it so I can't confirm.

I like Blue Skies. Works great for me.

KageMaru

I don't see that as a good way to keep or build developer interest. MS being in control doesn't make the idea any better. This would eliminate what incentive is there to create apps for WP. Why bother coding for WP if the users can emulate or load android apps through some generic store? This would be an admission of incompetence and a shining light on a weakness for the platform. This move has done nothing to help BB, so there's little reason to believe it would help WP.

It's incredibly frustrating:

-MS needed to be more aggressive and smarter with their advertising. They continue to fail at this.

-After two years of lagging sales with WP7, the licensing fees for WP8 should have never existed. Other than tile resizing, there was no easily recognizable new features for end users. So it was foolish for MS to think sales would improve because they release a newer version of what people have been ignoring already. Instead, they should have dropped the licensing to win over OEMs as we're seeing now. With more phones in the market, that's more opportunities for users to try see and try WP. There's a decent chance sales would have been better now if they did this 2 years ago instead of now. Better sales would likely result in more apps or easier negotiations for apps.

-I know they are supposedly ramping up their update dev schedule now, but this should have happened already by now. Steve Ballmer admitted he wished he invested more in WP7 instead of sacrificing resources for Vista. However nothing changed with WP8 where it seemed like the team was made up of LF, Joe, and dLMN8R. We are still waiting for the official release of the next major update to the platform. When you're competing against Apple and Google, you can't afford to sit on your hands but that's basically what MS has done.

/rant

Sorry about the long winded post, but this android apps rumor just adds to the frustration. I really want the platform to succeed, but so many bone-headed mistakes keeps holding it back.

hwalker84

I don't see that as a good way to keep or build developer interest. MS being in control doesn't make the idea any better. This would eliminate what incentive is there to create apps for WP. Why bother coding for WP if the users can emulate or load android apps through some generic store? This would be an admission of incompetence and a shining light on a weakness for the platform. This move has done nothing to help BB, so there's little reason to believe it would help WP.

It's incredibly frustrating:

-MS needed to be more aggressive and smarter with their advertising. They continue to fail at this.

-After two years of lagging sales with WP7, the licensing fees for WP8 should have never existed. Other than tile resizing, there was no easily recognizable new features for end users. So it was foolish for MS to think sales would improve because they release a newer version of what people have been ignoring already. Instead, they should have dropped the licensing to win over OEMs as we're seeing now. With more phones in the market, that's more opportunities for users to try see and try WP. There's a decent chance sales would have been better now if they did this 2 years ago instead of now. Better sales would likely result in more apps or easier negotiations for apps.

-I know they are supposedly ramping up their update dev schedule now, but this should have happened already by now. Steve Ballmer admitted he wished he invested more in WP7 instead of sacrificing resources for Vista. However nothing changed with WP8 where it seemed like the team was made up of LF, Joe, and dLMN8R. We are still waiting for the official release of the next major update to the platform. When you're competing against Apple and Google, you can't afford to sit on your hands but that's basically what MS has done.

/rant

Sorry about the long winded post, but this android apps rumor just adds to the frustration. I really want the platform to succeed, but so many bone-headed mistakes keeps holding it back.
Can't disagree with a single thing you said.

I like the dynamic in this thread. On one page we're breaking up with Windows Phone by breaking all our phones, then we're the better Android thread and after that the support group for Windows Phone users, where we all let our frustration out, then hold hands, sing a song and tell ourselves it will be better in the future, because they promised us not to hit us ever again, because they love us.

Eanan

Do any windows phones work with in line remote controls on headphones in your experience?

For example, 99% of in line remote controls allow for volume and play/pause to work on iOS devices, with play/pause working on Android. Neither seems to work for Windows phone, and its a pain.

Is it the hardware, or software thats incompatible, as its another dumb decision by microsoft if its the hardware, or let me guess, we have to buy some overpriced custom cable off the microsoft store?

Using a lumia 625 by the way.

ElNino

Do any windows phones work with in line remote controls on headphones in your experience?

For example, 99% of in line remote controls allow for volume and play/pause to work on iOS devices, with play/pause working on Android. Neither seems to work for Windows phone, and its a pain.

Is it the hardware, or software thats incompatible, as its another dumb decision by microsoft if its the hardware, or let me guess, we have to buy some overpriced custom cable off the microsoft store?

Using a lumia 625 by the way.
The Nokia headphones included with my 1020 have inline (one button) control that works fine for play/pause/skip track.

The one button control wire that was included with my V-Moda headphones also work fine with my 1020, so it's not just a Nokia headhphone thing.

Eanan

The Nokia headphones included with my 1020 have inline (one button) control that works fine for play/pause/skip track.

The one button control wire that was included with my V-Moda headphones also work fine with my 1020, so it's not just a Nokia headhphone thing.

Ive tried play/pause with both my Sennheiser momentums and Logitech UE4000 headphones and neither work on windows phone, but they do on Android. These headphones do both say on the box "Made for iPod, iphones", but I assumed at least play/pause/skip would work. It would make life so much easier.

Im on dev preview 8.1 so maybe thats causing an issue.

Ill run some tests i.e. different apps, having app running under lockscreen.

Edit: Reading online there, it seems lots have complained about their headphone controls not working after the GDR2 update last september. I wonder if it was ever fixed.

ElNino

Ive tried play/pause with both my Sennheiser momentums and Logitech UE4000 headphones and neither work on windows phone, but they do on Android. These headphones do both say on the box "Made for iPod, iphones", but I assumed at least play/pause/skip would work. It would make life so much easier.

Im on dev preview 8.1 so maybe thats causing an issue.

Ill run some tests i.e. different apps, having app running under lockscreen.

Edit: Reading online there, it seems lots have complained about their headphone controls not working after the GDR2 update last september. I wonder if it was ever fixed.
I'm on the Dev Preview 8.1 as well, so I don't know if it's that.

How many buttons are on the headphones you are trying? All of mine that work only have one button, but I did have a previous pair of Skullcandys (yuck... they were terrible) that had one button as well and did not work with my 900.

maeh2k

Just had it delivered:

I'll get mine tomorrow. Don't even know the color yet. Actually it's been lying at the office since yesterday, but I didn't want to drive the extra 10km just for the phone when I'll be there tomorrow, anyway.

I'm not particularly excited. I'm perfectly happy with my 8X and don't really need the specs. Then again, I'm looking forward to having a decent camera.

Walshicus

I was at Google's "Think Programmatic" event today in London; I've genuinely never seen so many Windows Phones in one room.

Almost as surprising as the quality of the Google logo-coloured macaroons the BAFTA centre put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom