• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone |OT3 Update 3| Please be excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Success. It took about 15 mins, I have no idea what this update suppose to improve.

It's GDR3 and Nokia's firmware for that (like Amber for GDR2). It enables some more glance screen tricks, like showing the number of missed calls or e-mails on the glance screen.

Also, it fucking sucks that it's just for the 1020.

KageMaru

I hate to be a bother, but I was wondering if anyone has come up with any ideas why 125MB is being taken up by maps when I don't have a single map app on my phone?

I'd assume it's just for now, yes. Think about it, no Nokia Black update for other phones would mean they also wouldn't get Update 3.

They just started the roll-out with Black for the 1020 and there's no timeline for the other phones.

WP Central reported that Update 3 is out also for T-Mobiles.

PG2G

I hate to be a bother, but I was wondering if anyone has come up with any ideas why 125MB is being taken up by maps when I don't have a single map app on my phone?

Is it really possible to not have a map app on your phone? Did you ever download any offline maps and not delete them? They are shared by different apps so there is a chance that deleting the map app might not get rid of map data.

KageMaru

Is it really possible to not have a map app on your phone? Did you ever download any offline maps and not delete them? They are shared by different apps so there is a chance that deleting the map app might not get rid of map data.

Not sure really. Before I deleted any app, I checked the maps under storage check and deleted the one offline map I had.

Anyone have an issue where your phone just won't connect to Facebook chat or your Rooms chat? I haven't been able to connect for days now.

Xbox Music API is out. Finally.

The Xbox Music Service makes it easy for you to connect your app or website to the world of Xbox Music. The Xbox Music API provides access to RESTful web services that offer many features and generate useful data that can increase the value that people receive from Xbox Music and your application or website.

By using the Xbox Music API, you'll be able to do the following:

• Get the details of an album, an artist, or a track if you know its ID.
  • Search for any album, artist, or track details based on a string of keywords—for example, "Madonna hang out".
  • Get the top tracks and newest albums of an artist.
  • Get a deep link that redirects nicely to the Xbox Music applications, whether on the web, on Windows Phone, on Windows 8, on Windows 8.1, or from some other platform.
  • Get album covers.
  • Get artist images.
  • Become an affiliate and start earning revenue from sales you generate on Xbox Music applications.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn546696.aspx

MCD

This has been the best fall/Christmas period for WP.

Makes me wonder on why does the WP team work more on holidays...

hadareud

The Translator
That's good news.

It's been a very strong year for WP imo. I'd have expected nothing less, considering I jumped aboard last November.

Shame about the 8.1 delay, though.

ElNino

I bought one for my daughter this summer to use purely as a music/game/app device. Like an iPod touch. The price is insane, its a very capable device.
This is what I want to do for my son. They were on sale for $80 last week up here in The Great White North but I didn't pick one up. If they go on sale again for Boxing Day then I'll probably grab one for him.

My son is 7 and he has a Surface (RT), 3DS, every video game he could want and now I'm thinking of buying him a phone (!?)... wow, my kids are spoiled. ;-)

NeOak

I ordered one for 70, then emailed amazon when the price dropped to 60. They processed the refund and I'm waiting on it.

Ordered another one at 40 and asked for a second refund. They're like "we already gave you one".

Fired off a second email telling them to give me back the extra 20. Might have to fight for it lol.

Is there a change log for the Black update?

• Daily delighters: lock the screen rotation, close apps easily in the app switcher, use custom ringtones for messaging and mail, among other things
  • Update to Nokia Camera that combines Nokia Smart Camera and Nokia Pro Camera. Available from the Store app.
  • Get the latest version of Nokia Glance Screen – see quick status notifications, for example, about calendar and messaging events on the lock screen.
  • Bluetooth 4.0 LE – preserve energy while staying connected via Bluetooth
  • Get enriched camera performance, enhanced battery monitoring, and other stability and usability improvements

Is there a change log for the Black update?

This is what I found on Thurrot's site. WPCentral also have a list. I didn't know about the last one ... changing orientation of lock screen. : O So now we just wait for the tile to reorient when we in landscape mode like Windows RT?

http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/nokia-black-update-windows-phone-8

Glance screen improvements. The cool Glance screen—which shows a clock when the device isn't being used—is updated with new Night Mode colors (green and blue, in addition to red) and notification support. I don't see a way to control notifications, however, so it must just use whatever is configured to work with the normal lock screen. (Nokia says it's new emails, missed calls, text messages and more.")

RAW support. "Black" lets you save your photos in RAW format, which may be desirable for professional photographers. To use this, go to Settings in Nokia Camera and choose "JPEG (5 MP) + DNG (34 MP)" under Capture Mode. DNG stands for "Digital NeGative."

Camera improvements. Perhaps answering why I find Lumia 1520 pictures to be slightly better than those taken with the superior Lumia 1020 camera, "Black" also adds new camera algorithms for JPEG processing, white balance and noise reduction. You can now launch Nokia Camera from a PIN-locked lock screen, which was possible previously with the built-in Camera app only.

Bluetooth update. With "Black," the Bluetooth technology on your device is upgraded to Bluetooth 4.0 LE (on supported phones, like the Lumia 1020). For now, this doesn't change any built-in Bluetooth functionality, but that could change in the future. (Update: Nokia says that this support allows consumers to easily sync accessories such as heart rate monitors with their Nokia Lumia to create differentiated experiences with apps like Adidas miCoach.)

Lock Screen Options. Now, you users can opt for either portrait or landscape mode to accommodate even greater customization and personalization

I ordered one for 70, then emailed amazon when the price dropped to 60. They processed the refund and I'm waiting on it.

Ordered another one at 40 and asked for a second refund. They're like "we already gave you one".

Fired off a second email telling them to give me back the extra 20. Might have to fight for it lol.

Got one at $50 and asked to match it at $40 instead... since it was a Gold Box deal they were saying no, but I pushed a little more and they gave me $10 in Amazon credit... good enough for me.

Milchjon

blackberry-quarterly-net-income-nov-2009-nov-2012-net-income_chartbuilder-2.png

Also, Aviary is discontinuing support for WP/Win8:

“Hi Chris, Due to lack of general platform traction we are discontinuing development of Aviary technology on Windows / Windows Phone. Any currently released Aviary SDK or app for Windows should therefore be considered as-is and unsupported going forwards. However, your feedback is much appreciated and will be considered should we decide to revisit developing for Windows in the future. I apologize I couldn't be of better assistance. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions.”

Blackberry'd

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
MS just sent me an email, I get 20gb of extra SkyDrive storage for one year, just for using Windows Phone. Its called an "enthusiast bonus" when I redeemed the code.

Heretic

Got the email too :D

I was also FINALLY notified that I had updates... It's been weeks since I was last notified. I had 37 updates pending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom