• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

It's not a perfect analogy, but it's good enough for me to accept what happened. Humans aren't always rational.

I think for me, the way I see it is... it's a flashback told from the point of view of an officer on the bridge who wasn't privy to the reasons behind the order. Thus having no personal context of what went on behind the scenes, it is what it is. It can be irrational, random, stupid, or whatever, but what matters is that it happened.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka 1

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think this show is for me guys. I mean, is there a hook, or a twist, or a change coming up? Or is this the premise of the show? Cuz, with all due respect, and in every hope not to overly judge a show I have only seen a single episode of, it felt really . . . cliche? Generic? Done? I'm not sure what the right word is but a disaffected teenager roped into a romance with a manic girl and an investigation of the X wonders of mundane place Y are all really standard plot mechanisms in anime, and while the show looked nice enough, there didn't really seem to be much of note there. It wasn't bad, but based on the first episode it doesn't really seem that interesting to me.

You may now begin to commence the heckling of my bad taste.

I called it the anime version of House when I first watched it. lol
Honestly, it's probably as close as anime will ever get to that kind of relationship/character dynamic because 99% of anime characters have to be high school aged.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Beyond what Branduil has already argued and even if learning "the truth" isn't something that resonates through the entire arc of the narrative, a lingering problem I have with that entire plot contrivance is that if the Garmillan military empire is hell-bent on galactic conquest anyway and were only
initiating "peaceful" first contact insofar that they were going to present to Earth the option of becoming a second-class Garmillan fiefdom with the alternative of total extermination
, it seems especially purposeless to undermine the moral superiority of mankind for the obviously false insinuation that
mankind may have faced a different future if they hadn't shot first

Branduil

It's not a perfect analogy, but it's good enough for me to accept what happened. Humans aren't always rational.

They're not, but a thing like a military is designed to minimize individual irrationality in favor of a collective goal. I don't believe a decision like
attacking unknown aliens would be left up to one dude, and I don't believe that a collective decision would be that irrational without a clear goal in mind.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I mean, it could have even been made more believable with just a couple tweaks of the writing.
If the aliens entered, say, Earth orbit, without making contact or some kind of sign of their intentions, I could understand someone freaking out and ordering an attack. But way out at Pluto, no.
"Way out at Pluto" is meaningless in a world with FTL travel.

I'm gonna trust you on this one, but I really didn't feel much coming out of that episode.

First episode or two might take some getting used to. At least give it through the end of the first arc in Episode 5. Hyouka is really driven by the character interactions and dialogue and the way the mysteries reflect on their lives. I think you can get a better sense for what the show is going for after a few episodes.

At any rate, it's not really cliche. Hyouka's type is one that it isn't really seen very often at all.

I'm gonna trust you on this one, but I really didn't feel much coming out of that episode.

If you want a bit of an extended thing from me, yeah, I had the same feeling, more on the dialogue, in where it's shoving a bunch of themes down your throat, which feels rather unnatural to me, and the dialogue kind of reminded me of KnK... well, mostly when Satoshi didn't shut up. That being said, that greatly diminishes after the first arc, and you should find some joy coming from this.

The show in general, is character driven. That's pretty much Hyouka honestly.

Hyouka 1

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think this show is for me guys. I mean, is there a hook, or a twist, or a change coming up? Or is this the premise of the show? Cuz, with all due respect, and in every hope not to overly judge a show I have only seen a single episode of, it felt really . . . cliche? Generic? Done? I'm not sure what the right word is but a disaffected teenager roped into a romance with a manic girl and an investigation of the X wonders of mundane place Y are all really standard plot mechanisms in anime, and while the show looked nice enough, there didn't really seem to be much of note there. It wasn't bad, but based on the first episode it doesn't really seem that interesting to me.

It doesn't fundamentally change, but I think most people would say it gets more interesting as it goes along. Still, if you're not interested in seeing slow, careful character development, you probably won't enjoy most of the show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Beyond what Branduil has already argued and even if learning "the truth" isn't something that resonates through the entire arc of the narrative, a lingering problem I have with that entire plot contrivance is that if the Garmillan military empire is hell-bent on galactic conquest anyway and were only
initiating "peaceful" first contact insofar that they were going to present to Earth the option of becoming a second-class Garmillan fiefdom with the alternative of total extermination
, it seems especially purposeless to undermine the moral superiority of mankind for the obviously false insinuation that
I believe part of that is playing on expectations. If you remember the very first episode of the series, we are told - through Yuki's classroom session with the kids - that they were attacked unprovoked and that the aliens are evil for the sake of being evil. This is also what we, as the audience, expect because either you've seen the original series or you know that this is a remake of a 70s cartoon with a very simple sense of morality.

As for the outcome, we just have no idea. If you want to push the Japanese allegory further,
you might say that the non-Gamillans are like the Taiwanese, Koreans, or Okinawans, who are "Japanese" in name only and are perfect cannon fodder. In that case, would it have been better to be a colony or to occupied and wiped out? I'm not sure.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
They probably didn't even intend to make him "evil" so much as just a frightened and stupid guy in command. But -damn- that character design sure didn't help. Lol!

I wonder what it says that, having forgotten what the guy looks like, my mind immediately replaced him with that shouty sunken-eyed dipshit with the beard from Attack on Titan.

Branduil

Hyouka 1

Yes, Hyouka might seem like a generic premise with really good production value at the start. What separates it from all the tripe is that the character writing is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar beyond the typical anime. It has crazy stuff like actual thematic depth, too.

CorvoSol

It doesn't fundamentally change, but I think most people would say it gets more interesting as it goes along. Still, if you're not interested in seeing slow, careful character development, you probably won't enjoy most of the show.

It isn't slow, careful character development I'm commenting on. There's no way for me to judge something like that after a single episode. I'm talking more the scenario.

If you want a bit of an extended thing from me, yeah, I had the same feeling, more on the dialogue, in where it's shoving a bunch of themes down your throat, which feels rather unnatural to me, and the dialogue kind of reminded me of KnK... well, mostly when Satoshi didn't shut up. That being said, that greatly diminishes after the first arc, and you should find some joy coming from this.

The show in general, is character driven. That's pretty much Hyouka honestly.

So it's High School kids solving mysteries? Do the mysteries get better?

Branduil

"Way out at Pluto" is meaningless in a world with FTL travel.

Even if you can go really, really fast, where you actually are still matters. Warping into Earth orbit would obviously seem aggressive. Warping outside the solar system, not so much.

So it's High School kids solving mysteries? Do the mysteries get better?

Better than the ones in the first episode? By far, yes. Don't expect any real murder mysteries or anything, but there are arc-long mysteries which have real thematic implications and trigger character development.

sonicmj1

Hyouka 1

I was kind of ambivalent on the series until episode 3. I wouldn't say it fundamentally changes, but it's working on a lot more levels than it seems at first.

OceanBlue

Hyouka 1

Don't worry, this is what a lot of people (even here if I remember correctly) thought of Hyouka at the start of its run.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka is a procedural. But instead of figuring out weird medical disorders or solving murders, it's mundane cases involve high school kids.

Branduil

Don't worry, this is what a lot of people (even here if I remember correctly) thought of Hyouka at the start of its run.

It was. I think Hyouka should be watched until at least episode 5 before someone gives up on it.

Hyouka is a procedural. But instead of figuring out weird medical disorders or solving murders, it's mundane cases involve high school kids.

I don't think I'd call it a procedural. To me, procedurals are episodic, and have throwaway plots. Hyouka has episodes like that, but it also has long story-arcs. Also, procedural implies formula, but every mystery in Hyouka is unique in presentation.

survivor

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 9 - 10
wcJvwRf.png

Poor Hikari, his soul just got crushed.

So the show was always gonna head towards some sort of
the world is doomed scenario
but I didn't think they would go about it this way with
sleep though the ice age. I thought at least it would be some crap about having to sacrifice an actual person and it would be Manaka or something like that.
Also best girl just became more relevant now that the love polygon just got more messy.

Anyway what I find interesting about the whole relationship of fish people and human is that it appears to be a very local issue. I don't think there any fish people villages in other parts of the world? Considering that Uroko is the only one who can provide the fire it makes it unlikely that fish people formed cities elsewhere unless there are other gods beings like Uroko or maybe they just don't believe in any of the Sea God stories. Which then just makes the
"we are dooooomed" plotline more apocalyptic cause then there would be some tiny village alive after everyone else freezes to death

Now that I'm not pulling 50 hours a week I can actually catch up with shows from last season.

Coppelion
Was a surprise for me. Seems to hit a sober note often enough that I was hooked. The world was interesting, and the characters lovable. Given how short of a series it was, I was shocked to find myself caring about some of them.

Had a few slow points around mid season, but the ending was good and fulfilling. If anyone here has read the manga, could they comment on the quality? I'm strongly considering reading the manga, as I am intrigued by the world and the implications made in the last episode of the anime.

The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat

This was my RomCom for the season, since I have a giant squishy heart and it filled me with feels. Series tried hard to mimic some of the schizophrenic appeal that shows like Haruhi did well. Tsukiko is kawaii as fuck. I've been reading the manga lately as well, since it scratches the Love Hina itch I've always had since I first became interested in manga.

Kyoukai No Kanata

Came for megane, stayed for the awesome fights. Ending came out of no where, I would watch more seasons of this(if it ever happened) with the same guilty pleasure Shakugan no Shana offered.

Kill la Kill

Anime at its best. Nothing I can say here will be something that hasn't been repeated already. Gurren Lagann meets FLCL.

zeroshiki

While I will argue till I'm blue in the face that all Hyouka story arcs are great, the series really does start to pick up after the first story arc when they get into the film arc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was. I think Hyouka should be watched until at least episode 5 before someone gives up on it.

I don't think I'd call it a procedural. To me, procedurals are episodic, and have throwaway plots. Hyouka has episodes like that, but it also has long story-arcs.
I can't remember if I talked about it in context of Hyouka, but that's not true. For example, ReGenesis was a procedural that always had three cases going simultaneously over the span of several episodes.

Of course, another way to think about it is that a normal procedural that is two parts is essentially four anime episodes, which is the length of the two big arcs in Hyouka.

Either way, the idea is that the cases don't matter whatsoever inasmuch as you are more interested in seeing how the characters react to the outcome of the cases and to each other. Again, much like how no one really remembers any case from House but remembers that House was a Vicodin addicted emotionally closed off asshole. Much like Oreki! lol

Branduil

I can't remember if I talked about it in context of Hyouka, but that's not true. For example, ReGenesis was a procedural that always had three cases going simultaneously over the span of several episodes.

Of course, another way to think about it is that a normal procedural that is two parts is essentially four anime episodes, which is the length of the two big arcs in Hyouka.

Either way, the idea is that the cases don't matter whatsoever inasmuch as you are more interested in seeing how the characters react to the outcome of the cases and to each other. Again, much like how no one really remembers any case from House but remembers that House was a Vicodin addicted emotionally closed off asshole. Much like Oreki! lol

But the longer story-arcs do matter in Hyouka.

Shows watching this season:

Pupa
Assuming it ever actually airs. How many times has this show been delayed? Franken Fran needs an anime.

Oneechan ga Kita
Because I am a terrible person.

Chuu2koi
Same as above. UTAH.

Space Dandy
I believe in BONES. Nobody can stop the duckroll hype train(Except cold hard reality).

Seitokai Yakuindomo S2
I loved the first season. I want to learn more pervy Japan slang.

dimb

I think it's important to move past reading into the events literally. The proposal of the idea of humankind firing first isn't to illustrate an alternate future, but to present the possibility that violence becomes a means of confronting adversity. The entire show is consistently drawing parallels between these separate species, and this is just another way of illustrating that.

I also find it difficult to be overly critical of the circumstances of the meeting. The intent was still for it to be conducted under peaceful terms, and the Garmillans are simply operating under a clear and admirable goal, even if their methods are somewhat ignoble. The twin planet hovering next to Garmillas is a wasteland in its own right, and while it may still remain beautiful on the surface nearly the entire population is buried beneath that. The intent of the Garmillans meeting these planets ahead of time is to gauge their potential for cooperation, but they do not have wiggle room to allow planets to remain uncontrolled when technological discovery holds the potential to destroy the universe. The show doesn't do a great job of selling these ideological aspects and the Garmillans are left somewhat underdeveloped, but they still clearly exist. Humans attacking first is a big part of substantiating the capacity for violence of still developing planets, and paints them as being unable to handle the responsibility of handling dangerous technology. The entire trek of the Yamato is about reestablishing trust and displaying the capacity to responsibly exist inside the universe.
FTL travel didn't exist for humanity at that point though. :p
Right, but they know the enemy has it. All I'm saying is that showing up at Pluto is the same as showing up at Earth's doorstep.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But the longer story-arcs do matter in Hyouka.
They matter to the characters, but the actual cases -
who wrote the manga, who wrote Hyouka
- don't. Much like the how in Justified season 4, it didn't matter who Drew Thompson was. The point was how it effected Boyd and Raylan and the rest of the characters in that show.

OH

I JUST GOT THE UTAH THING

I AM A SMART COOKIE
UTAH UTAH UTAH

sonicmj1

Paranoia Agent 1

Meanwhile, I am instantly hooked on this show.

Paranoia Agent starts unbelievably strong. I wrote a lot about each episode when I was watching it with Ultimadrago during our Summer 2012 (has it really been that long?) backlog season. It has some of my favorite individual episodes of any show ever.

Speaking of which, this season seems really crappy, and I'd take up a 13-ish episode weekly backlog show if anyone else had something they wanted to watch.

I really enjoyed Yamato, but have approximately zero interest in its deeper philosophical concerns. I blame Battlestar Galactic for putting me off Important Messages about The Nature of Humanity related via space opera.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really enjoyed Yamato, but have approximately zero interest in its deeper philosophical concerns. I blame Battlestar Galactic for putting me off Important Messages about The Nature of Humanity related via space opera.
WHO ARE THE FINAL FIVE

I can understand wanting to just turn your brain off. It's how I watched this show when it came out in four episode chunks, because I just wanted something I could enjoy without being massively disappointed.

Paranoia Agent starts unbelievably strong. I wrote a lot about each episode when I was watching it with Ultimadrago during our Summer 2012 (has it really been that long?) backlog season. It has some of my favorite individual episodes of any show ever.

Speaking of which, this season seems really crappy, and I'd take up a 13-ish episode weekly backlog show if anyone else had something they wanted to watch.

It's winter. It's usually crap. Or at least that's what AnimeGAF has told me.

Branduil

I need to finish Crest of the Stars as soon as I finish my 2013 backlog.

It's actually looking pretty decent for a Winter season, which is usually really bad. It's much better than last Winter anyway.

Mononoke

Banned
I really need to catch up with you guys and start watching more recent stuff. It's just been hard with this being my last semester of College (I graduated 3 weeks ago!). And I've only been getting into Anime Film this past yer, so there was sooo much stuff I hadn't even seen before.

I actually just ordered Porco Ross Blu Ray from Amazon.co.jp (I didn't even know I could order through them). So excited. It's my personal favorite Miyzaki film. Can't wait to show my mom this film in HD. I also got Akira on Blu Ray as well as Tekkon Kinkreet. Both those come in tomorrow, Porco will be here on Monday.

I've never seen Akira or Tekkon. I know they are dark stories. For Akira, is there a lot of sexual stuff in it? I wanted to show my mom the film. I guess I'll probably watch it myself first. I have a general idea of what kind of film it is, and know there is a lot of violence and sexuality. Was just wondering if it's really racy.

Anywho, I've pretty much seen every film that was recommended to me in this thread. I guess I should start trying to catch up on this seasonal stuff.

I really need to catch up with you guys and start watching more recent stuff. It's just been hard with this being my last semester of College (I graduated 3 weeks ago!).

Congratulations.

I've never seen Akira or Tekkon. I know they are dark stories. For Akira, is there a lot of sexual stuff in it? I wanted to show my mom the film. I guess I'll probably watch it myself first. I have a general idea of what kind of film it is, and know there is a lot of violence and sexuality. Was just wondering if it's really racy.

It's no family-friendly film, but it's not overly sexual.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I think it's important to move past reading into the events literally. The proposal of the idea of humankind firing first isn't to illustrate an alternate future, but to present the possibility that violence becomes a means of confronting adversity. The entire show is consistently drawing parallels between these separate species, and this is just another way of illustrating that.

I don't necessarily think that it's wrong to simultaneously interpret the event on a symbolic and a literal level, even if it means a positive and negative evaluation depending on the interpretation chosen. Basically everything in Yamato is a metaphor, but the narrative is strong enough that it's not simply a slave to its subtext. I actually have no problem with the first contact incident on a figurative level--Shima is horrified when he learns the truth because he can't believe that mankind was capable of the same predisposition toward violence as a first recourse as their Garmillan enemies. That entire two episode arc was basically there to reinforce the point that Garmillans and humans are not at all dissimilar biologically, emotionally, and ethically, and that neither is uniformly comprised of good or evil individuals
. My problem is wholly in how it was handled on a literal narrative level, entirely because of (as has been said and said better by Branduil) the tenuous believability of the
choice to attack
and the sudden and jarring disruption of mankind's claim to a moral high ground; both were disruptive to my experience from a superficial narrative standpoint. Ultimately, nothing about it is such a distraction that it affects my overall estimation of the Yamato 2199 narrative; largely because there is subtext and it is thematically consistent.

I probably should have disclosed that I'm only halfway through Yamato 2199 and as such still have an incomplete understanding of just how justified the element of Garmillan moral ambiguity introduced by that particular scenario is. Unfortunately I had to bail out on your post after the first paragraph :lol

dimb

My problem is wholly in how it was handled on a literal narrative level, entirely because of (as has been said and said better by Branduil) the tenuous believability of the
choice to attack
and the sudden and jarring disruption of mankind's claim to a moral high ground aren't something I enjoy from a superficial narrative standpoint. Ultimately, it doesn't affect my overall estimation of the show; largely because there is subtext and it is thematically consistent.
For me the moral high ground comes from what is essentially human ignorance. They think they know best because they simply have not been exposed to a lot of the lessons that have been learned elsewhere in the universe. It's like a kid playing with a switchblade. They might think they're mature enough to handle it but their parent knows better and will take it away.
I probably should have disclosed that I'm only halfway through Yamato 2199 and as such still have an incomplete understanding of just how justified the element of Garmillan moral ambiguity introduced by that particular scenario is. Unfortunately I had to bail out on your post after the first paragraph :lol
oh whoops.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Please, Hyouka is a character drama disguised as a procedural.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom