• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Well, shit. For whatever reason, I had imagined that Yamato was around 16 episodes. No matter, it's time to see how much of a dent I can put in it!

White Album 1-10

I don't understand the actions of some of the characters. Why? It's so random.

I liked it but I felt that Rina was probably the only character that acted more or less rationally during the entire show. I guess the fact that the show is set in the 90s and pre-cell phone makes it somewhat plausible for there to be so many missed connections and misunderstandings, but yeah, people on the whole tend to act kinda crazy in that show.

cnet128

Banned
Contender for Anime of the season for me, this is.

Mikakunin is so POP and WHOOP. Know what I mean? The MV and PV had me sold already, the tunes are catchy, the animation is fantastic, and the character designs are sweet~

fx8QTLs.gif

One thing I couldn't help noticing while watching this show is that the adorable MC, Kobeni, appears to have the largest chest in the whole cast.

I don't think this is a bad thing (though I'm not generally a fan of :chet), but it just feels a little unusual somehow. She doesn't seem like the character type you'd expect to have that trait - if anything, you'd expect it to go to her sister. And I don't think anyone even drew attention to it yet! (Though we'll see how long that lasts...)

Nordicus

Now, I don't know what got into me, maybe watching that Higurashi Kira parody made me think "Nothing can make me feel this dirty for a good while", but I decided to watch the first season of Kodomo No Jikan, to see if it can get a reaction out of me. I've already read the manga around a year back and was generally not creeped out but enjoyed reading it with the exception of 2-3 scenes closer to the end. (Although even during those scenes, I was thinking "Wow, she really went there")

The first few episodes got around halfway to Kira levels in "uncomfortable to watch", especially in the scenes where Rin is being super lewd and flirty and it actually gets a reaction out of Aoki-sensei in a way that we're suppose to think as cute, but when the DO-RAH-MAH, the grimness, Houin-sensei's monologues, and/or the intended creepiness started, I was really enjoying myself.

In the later episodes when shit really hits the fan, we see how fucked up Rin and her guardian Reiji are even though they definitely have their good sides, and those moments are a delicacy to the part of my brain that loves watching School Days, reading Aku no Hana, etc. Not saying that Kodomo no Jikan is like those series, but that the series' tone *does* shift from that often present dangerous pedo/loli fanservice... to that kind of tone.

Like here, Reiji the hypocrite, he DUN FUCKED UP

And speaking of dark tones, the soundtrack during those moments is surprisingly good.

The one weird detail that stood out to me is that the 2 non-bishonen adult male characters aren't drawn as quite as attractive as they're in the later chapters of the manga. Their shoulders aren't as wide, backs not as strong and pectorals not as pronounced. Kenta especially is at this point a kind of a slouch instead of a rugged hunk of sorts. Did Kaworu Watashiya slowly change her drawing style to make the men in her various works fit her preferences more? Who knows.

In any case, despite just how inappropriate this show is, it was a good watch, I can't deny that

Serious

Kawamori gets credit for the hilarious insanity, Okada the blame for the rest.

Kawamori also gets the blame for practically ditching the show halfway through for AKB0048. I loved AKB, but maybe EVOL's second half wouldn't have gone as bad as it did had the two shows not overlapped. Admittedly Okada was involved in 0048 as well, but I get the impression that Kawamori put most of his time and effort into that.

Also should be noted that it was Kawamori who insisted on a Mikono end. Everyone else, including Okada, wanted to go for Zessica.

Jarmel

Banned
Hyouka 1

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think this show is for me guys. I mean, is there a hook, or a twist, or a change coming up? Or is this the premise of the show? Cuz, with all due respect, and in every hope not to overly judge a show I have only seen a single episode of, it felt really . . . cliche? Generic? Done? I'm not sure what the right word is but a disaffected teenager roped into a romance with a manic girl and an investigation of the X wonders of mundane place Y are all really standard plot mechanisms in anime, and while the show looked nice enough, there didn't really seem to be much of note there. It wasn't bad, but based on the first episode it doesn't really seem that interesting to me.

You may now begin to commence the heckling of my bad taste.

The mysteries aren't going to become great so I would move past that. It's more of a character drama. If you're not on board around episode 5, I would just skip to the school festival and if that doesn't work then just drop it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hyouka 1

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii don't think this show is for me guys. I mean, is there a hook, or a twist, or a change coming up? Or is this the premise of the show? Cuz, with all due respect, and in every hope not to overly judge a show I have only seen a single episode of, it felt really . . . cliche? Generic? Done? I'm not sure what the right word is but a disaffected teenager roped into a romance with a manic girl and an investigation of the X wonders of mundane place Y are all really standard plot mechanisms in anime, and while the show looked nice enough, there didn't really seem to be much of note there. It wasn't bad, but based on the first episode it doesn't really seem that interesting to me.

You may now begin to commence the heckling of my bad taste.

If you aren't enjoying it after 1 episode you should probably stop. The show doesn't really deviate much from what you just saw. Maybe give it a couple more episodes but I doubt your opinion changes.

If you aren't enjoying it after 1 episode you should probably stop. The show doesn't really deviate much from what you just saw. Maybe give it a couple more episodes but I doubt your opinion changes.

I'm not quite finished with it yet, but I do think it improves after the first 3~4 episodes and especially by the time the school festival arc rolls around.

Dragoshi1

One thing I couldn't help noticing while watching this show is that the adorable MC, Kobeni, appears to have the largest chest in the whole cast.

I don't think this is a bad thing (though I'm not generally a fan of :chet), but it just feels a little unusual somehow. She doesn't seem like the character type you'd expect to have that trait - if anything, you'd expect it to go to her sister. And I don't think anyone even drew attention to it yet! (Though we'll see how long that lasts...)

It is weird that no one focused on 'em all throughout the episode, as she does indeed sport the biggest pair in her house.

But I think that's what makes her character better. She's got the rack, but doesn't flaunt it, and the animators don't draw attention to it.

Defuser

Nagi no Asukara ep 14

Man this episode is damn interesting after the time skip regarding the relationship between the characters as it gets real clear of the shipping.

Can't wait to see Kaname after he got bitchslapped by reality.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

congratulations. having your real face next to your posts hasn't stopped you from making the most disgusting comments in every thread.

Samurai Flamenco - 10

A bit conflicting I say. If this episode existed in a vacuum without context to a lot of the other parts of the series then I'd say that it was definitely one of the better ones. It doesn't though and I'm still left questioning
how the Flamenco character still seems to be fine with killing all of these guys.
I really hope that that's something that's addressed as the series goes on. I guess I'm still not comfortable with the way the series genre shifted from something that used superheroes as a backdrop for the motivations of one eccentric dude to a world where superheroes and comic book villains actually exist and are capable of super human things.

There were minor things about this episode
(how the Cop get out of the missile launch area as it exploded completely unscathed)
that weren't really well explained as well.

I don't normally get into the whole "waifu" thing, but I just started watching Chihayafuru and Ayase in sweatpants and a t-shirt is just HHHNNNNGGGGGGG.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Mikakunin 1

There's like two people in here who will get this, but whatever.
1003054_10203151039041546_137446356_n.jpg

First impressions: Eh. It's really nice looking (much like Love Lab), but the characters and premise just aren't grabbing me (again, much like Love Lab). It feels like I've seen most of these characters before in different shows (especially the "perverted older sister" character, the same exact character type I hated in Kanamemo). So yeah, I dunno if I'll be sticking with this one or not.

fertygo

Saki : Side-A - 01

Welp I'm already hooked, would be funny if I actually support this team more than the main team.

Kuro's ability is fucking hax, always drawing dora? shittttt.. I'll be the king in Tenhou with that.

Saki : Side-A - 01

Welp I'm already hooked, would be funny if I actually support this team more than the main team.

Kuro's ability is fucking hax, always drawing dora? shittttt.. I'll be the king in Tenhou with that.

Did you already watch the original Saki?

fertygo

Did you already watch the original Saki?

Of course?

I think I already making comment about skimming The Nationals episode, and I recognize this side-A team that making appearances without actually watching the show first and thinking maybe I should fix that.

Mondy

Banned
D-Frag! episode 1:

This show absolutely reeks of School Rumble and I am fucking loving it. Will be following very closely.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei Episode 1:

I think it may be time to invest in insect goggles for there seems to be insect everywhere. I spit on your grave, Orimeo, I also curse it. Anyway, yea this looks really nice in places but also comes across as Love Lab without the chemistry. I think I'll stick to old episodes of Ranma 1/2 if I need comedy about arranged marriage.

cajunator

Banned
Now that I'm not pulling 50 hours a week I can actually catch up with shows from last season.

The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat

This was my RomCom for the season, since I have a giant squishy heart and it filled me with feels. Series tried hard to mimic some of the schizophrenic appeal that shows like Haruhi did well. Tsukiko is kawaii as fuck. I've been reading the manga lately as well, since it scratches the Love Hina itch I've always had since I first became interested in manga.

Kyoukai No Kanata

Came for megane, stayed for the awesome fights. Ending came out of no where, I would watch more seasons of this(if it ever happened) with the same guilty pleasure Shakugan no Shana offered.

Kill la Kill

Anime at its best. Nothing I can say here will be something that hasn't been repeated already. Gurren Lagann meets FLCL.

I know that feeling. work work work play work work work >_
Youre watching some fun stuff here though. Of that bunch my favorite is Henneko. Tsukiko is adorable but beyond that it was a pretty intelligent series. It really surprised me.

Paranoia Agent 1

Meanwhile, I am instantly hooked on this show.

Oh man this series. Satoshi Kon took his tried and true fantasy reality melting mindfuckery and applied it to a series with amazing results. If I would criticize anything Id say the endgame was a little on the weak side but overall there are some very memorable episodes and twists and turns. Its well written and at times downright creepy.
I have a little Maromi plushie in my room and as the series goes on Im sure you will find that more and more disturbing.

thanks. Its on rightstuf so Ill order it soon.

cajunator

Banned
I really need to catch up with you guys and start watching more recent stuff. It's just been hard with this being my last semester of College (I graduated 3 weeks ago!). And I've only been getting into Anime Film this past yer, so there was sooo much stuff I hadn't even seen before.

I actually just ordered Porco Ross Blu Ray from Amazon.co.jp (I didn't even know I could order through them). So excited. It's my personal favorite Miyzaki film. Can't wait to show my mom this film in HD. I also got Akira on Blu Ray as well as Tekkon Kinkreet. Both those come in tomorrow, Porco will be here on Monday.

I've never seen Akira or Tekkon. I know they are dark stories. For Akira, is there a lot of sexual stuff in it? I wanted to show my mom the film. I guess I'll probably watch it myself first. I have a general idea of what kind of film it is, and know there is a lot of violence and sexuality. Was just wondering if it's really racy.

Anywho, I've pretty much seen every film that was recommended to me in this thread. I guess I should start trying to catch up on this seasonal stuff.

Akira isnt bad on the sexual side of things. Its very very very violent though. Its brutal.
The music is soooooo good though. Sometimes its tribal in a soul stirring kind of way. Its really incredible.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Strange+ Episode 1:

I am not sure what I just watched but I think I liked it a lot, seems like the best new anime not from BONES is coming from the shorts.

cajunator

Banned
D-Frag! episode 1:

This show absolutely reeks of School Rumble and I am fucking loving it. Will be following very closely.

Ok now I definitely wanna watch.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei Episode 1:

I think it may be time to invest in insect goggles for there seems to be insect everywhere. I spit on your grave, Orimeo, I also curse it. Anyway, yea this looks really nice in places but also comes across as Love Lab without the chemistry. I think I'll stick to old episodes of Ranma 1/2 if I need comedy about arranged marriage.

cute and bugs? Im there!
*squees off to watch both shows

cnet128

Banned
congratulations. having your real face next to your posts hasn't stopped you from making the most disgusting comments in every thread.

Oh, come now. I'll be the first to admit that I have a tendency to make some risqué/controversial posts from time to time, but I hardly think commenting on a character's breast size qualifies as particularly crass. It's not as though it's a rare topic, either in this thread or among anime fans in general (hell, people go out of their way to make whole comparison charts of this stuff), and as I pointed out in the post itself, I'm not even a fan of large boobs, so it's not like I was commenting on them for particularly perverted reasons (which I doubt can be said of many of the people who comment on such things).

I was just making an idle observation about something that struck me as a slightly unusual character design decision (and a half-hearted joke about how the Law of Ubiquitous Anime Tropes makes it inevitable that the characters themselves will start commenting on it at some point).

If you think that's so "disgusting", I'd hate to hear what you must think about, say, the speech in the first episode of Space Dandy about how a woman's most important feature is her ass (which I seem to recall a fair few posters, myself not included, were enthusiastically agreeing with).

cajunator

Banned
Oh, come now. I'll be the first to admit that I have a tendency to make some risqué/controversial posts from time to time, but I hardly think commenting on a character's breast size qualifies as particularly crass. It's not as though it's a rare topic, either in this thread or among anime fans in general (hell, people go out of their way to make whole comparison charts of this stuff), and as I pointed out in the post itself, I'm not even a fan of large boobs, so it's not like I was commenting on them for particularly perverted reasons (which I doubt can be said of many of the people who comment on such things).

I was just making an idle observation about something that struck me as a slightly unusual character design decision (and a half-hearted joke about how the Law of Ubiquitous Anime Tropes makes it inevitable that the characters themselves will start commenting on it at some point).

If you think that's so "disgusting", I'd hate to hear what you must think about, say, the speech in the first episode of Space Dandy about how a woman's most important feature is her ass (which I seem to recall a fair few posters, myself not included, were enthusiastically agreeing with).

What you said wasnt controversial or strange at all. Dont worry about it. Im not a fan of big boobs either.

My first gif. I feel I needed to share the HNNNNGGGGG.

0krVQ3i.gif

This show made me ridiculously happy. Its so pleasant to watch.

Jex

A bit off topic, but what the hell.

Armond White, in lieu of a top ten list, has traditionally released what he calls a "Better Than" list. This is some of the films from this year's list:
http://cityarts.info/2014/01/08/the-better-than-list-for-2013/

See, when Zac/ANN tries to say something contrarian like Wolf Children is a bad film because it has perfect moms and Hosoda can't relate because he's an old man, it feels intellectually dishonest and empty. Yet, for whatever reason, I can respect the audacity of Armond White's "troll" list. I think he's insane most of the time, but I also feel like there is some rigor behind the troll so I can at least respect it.

Or to put it another way - I ain't even mad. lol
Armond truly turned trolling into an art form long ago. People who want to get into the business professionally should take notes.

Of course?

I think I already making comment about skimming The Nationals episode, and I recognize this side-A team that making appearances without actually watching the show first and thinking maybe I should fix that.

Don't forget to watch Side-A untill ep 15 ...and join us in our wait for the "nationals" episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom