• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Im not joking. I seriously dont see a joke. What was it>?

I think it may be time to invest in insect goggles for there seems to be insect everywhere. I spit on your grave, Orimeo

I think "insect" is a humorous/intentional misspelling of "incest" in this case. Considering there are no insects in this show at all. But there totally are some light...insect elements.

Tokyo Ravens Episode 13 Black Shaman ASSAULT -Priest-
tumblr_mz2llkZxhZ1rdfsmyo1_500.gif

Well they wasted no time getting to the assault. The romance stuff is probably one of my favorite aspects of series based in schools, even though its not the pairing I wanted, just seeing all parties involve stress out over it and then the words displaying their inner emotions and doubt, not to mention Touji being there the whole time, really made it compellling and something to keep watching. Still thus far one of my favorite LN adaptations thus far.

Magic stuff though am just so confused on the location of the coat.

I dont think Ill like the second op song much (GERO - Outgrow)

Jarmel

Banned
Armond truly turned trolling into an art form long ago. People who want to get into the business professionally should take notes.

He turned it more into a commercial enterprise rather than anything resembling art. There's just no subtlety to it.
Film critic Armond White said allegations that he heckled “12 Years a Slave” director Steve McQueen at the New York Film Critics Circle Awards Monday night are “gossip” and “lies.”

Variety reporter Ramin Setoodeh, who confirmed with Speakeasy that he was seated two tables away within clear line of sight of White, published a firsthand account of the film critic saying, “You’re an embarrassing doorman and garbage man.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014...ories-he-heckled-director-steve-mcqueen-lies/
That's just lazy trolling.

This show made me ridiculously happy. Its so pleasant to watch.

I'm certainly enjoying it so far, about 8 episodes in. My only complaint is that Ayase's face looks weird. More detail with the eyelashes/pupils/lips then the rest of the characters so she kind of stands out in a weird way. And since it seems like it tends to be a bit more serious than most shows whenever she gets that blank expressions (I don't know if there's a term for it, but its like when they get a little chibi'd out and their face is blank except for two dots for the eyes) it kind of feels like it doesn't fit with the tone of the show.

But, I got a long way to go still. Two seasons of 26 episodes each, probably the longest show I've watched so far.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think "insect" is a humorous/intentional misspelling of "incest" in this case. Considering there are no insects in this show at all. But there totally are some light...insect elements.

Actually, that was autocorrect, but that was still marvelous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He turned it more into a commercial enterprise rather than anything resembling art. There's just no subtlety to it.

Listen to his defense on the /Filmcast. It's just interesting - inasmuch as he doesn't just give a flat out denial, he then goes on to call out "Armond White haters" who are a Communist cabal of NYC film critics that are out to get him. :)

Armond truly turned trolling into an art form long ago. People who want to get into the business professionally should take notes.
Yeah. Gies wishes he was Armond White. lol

cnet128

Banned
Oh god. Between continuing shows from last season and new shows starting today, I'm counting nine Thursday shows on my watchlist now. That's crazy even for a Thursday. I sure hope I end up dropping some of these >.>

stn

Just wanted to thank all the posters here for giving me anime ideas. Gonna weed through the recommendations I received.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh, come now. I'll be the first to admit that I have a tendency to make some risqué/controversial posts from time to time, but I hardly think commenting on a character's breast size qualifies as particularly crass. It's not as though it's a rare topic, either in this thread or among anime fans in general (hell, people go out of their way to make whole comparison charts of this stuff), and as I pointed out in the post itself, I'm not even a fan of large boobs, so it's not like I was commenting on them for particularly perverted reasons (which I doubt can be said of many of the people who comment on such things).

I was just making an idle observation about something that struck me as a slightly unusual character design decision (and a half-hearted joke about how the Law of Ubiquitous Anime Tropes makes it inevitable that the characters themselves will start commenting on it at some point).

If you think that's so "disgusting", I'd hate to hear what you must think about, say, the speech in the first episode of Space Dandy about how a woman's most important feature is her ass (which I seem to recall a fair few posters, myself not included, were enthusiastically agreeing with).
Associating breast size with character types or personalities is suspect.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Tried to start watching this week's Kill la Kill, but for some reason the subs are virtually unreadable. Fix this shit, CR.

(Also, no OP2? I am disappoint.)

cajunator

Banned
engaged-to-the-unidentified 01

ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE ADORABLE

I MIGHT DIE FROM THIS

CorvoSol

If you aren't enjoying it after 1 episode you should probably stop. The show doesn't really deviate much from what you just saw. Maybe give it a couple more episodes but I doubt your opinion changes.

Well I don't know, I mean, I've been wrong about shows before. The Flowers of Evil and Eureka Seven both improved significantly following their weak openings. Gundam 00 and Eureka Seven AO both degenerated significantly despite pretty good beginnings. I'm willing to give it some time before I make the cut. It's just that that first episode felt . . . phoned in.

Oh man this series. Satoshi Kon took his tried and true fantasy reality melting mindfuckery and applied it to a series with amazing results. If I would criticize anything Id say the endgame was a little on the weak side but overall there are some very memorable episodes and twists and turns. Its well written and at times downright creepy.
I have a little Maromi plushie in my room and as the series goes on Im sure you will find that more and more disturbing.

Of course you do. Don't you have a Kyubey thing, too? I wonder if maybe you don't like cute, and instead you like creepy disguised as cute. Because the moment that Maromi thing began to move I was freaking out.

Associating breast size with character types or personalities is suspect.

But TV Tropes taught me that it was an actual thing!

I'm having Eiken flashbacks.

Vecks

D-Frag! 1

Finally. Something to fill that comedy void. Mondy said it was like School Rumble, but I don't know... this first episode reminded me something else... but I can't quite put my finger on it. Nichibros maybe?

*That feeling of wanting to forget Smile Precure*

ugh.

Well, I wonder if KLK will be met with some apathy considering the break among other things.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
*That feeling of wanting to forget Smile Precure*

ugh.

Well, I wonder if KLK will be met with some apathy considering the break among other things.

I'm already apathetic 'cause it doesn't have a new OP like I thought it would. =/

Please, Golden Time, validate my OP2 hype.

cajunator

Banned
Well I don't know, I mean, I've been wrong about shows before. The Flowers of Evil and Eureka Seven both improved significantly following their weak openings. Gundam 00 and Eureka Seven AO both degenerated significantly despite pretty good beginnings. I'm willing to give it some time before I make the cut. It's just that that first episode felt . . . phoned in.

Of course you do. Don't you have a Kyubey thing, too? I wonder if maybe you don't like cute, and instead you like creepy disguised as cute. Because the moment that Maromi thing began to move I was freaking out.

But TV Tropes taught me that it was an actual thing!

I'm having Eiken flashbacks.

Yes I have a big Kyubey. I also like evil cute things, if that helps any.

Noragami - 01

I like it .. the way the god was serious yet his weapon was not was cool , and the girl was great.

I'm hoping this turn of events will be the start of a nice comic duo , with the girl that like savate with a cat soul that can't stay in her bodr and the hardworking god that is poor, yet , honnest and without a shrine...

This anime has potential.

JUUUUUNGLLEE SAVATTEEE !!!

e_i

I've been hearing that Sakura Trick is pretty yuritastic and pretty damn good. They didn't shy away from the yuri it seems. I need to see this NOW goddamnit! NOW, now, now, now, now!

cajunator

Banned

Now I completely understand lol.

I'm certainly enjoying it so far, about 8 episodes in. My only complaint is that Ayase's face looks weird. More detail with the eyelashes/pupils/lips then the rest of the characters so she kind of stands out in a weird way. And since it seems like it tends to be a bit more serious than most shows whenever she gets that blank expressions (I don't know if there's a term for it, but its like when they get a little chibi'd out and their face is blank except for two dots for the eyes) it kind of feels like it doesn't fit with the tone of the show.

But, I got a long way to go still. Two seasons of 26 episodes each, probably the longest show I've watched so far.

ayase is definitely a bit detailed in comparison to the others, but I didnt think it hurt anything. Shes pretty and is supposed to stand out visually. Chihayas eyes stand out incredibly well too. Such a pleasant art style.

Pupa 1

Love the artstyle but the eps are only 4 mins long?!?

Ohhh shit its out?!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
rewatching saki, man the pacing is so weird.

it feels like the pacing of an endless shounen...but it lasted only 2 cour.
The difference is that a lot of that is due to flashbacks rather than actual sports. Of course, all these characters are kind of pointless in the long run anyway. lol

"This troper firmly believes..."

SHUT UP!!!
This GAFfer believes that Tropers shouldn't refer to themselves in third person?

---

Loli Sister-in-law
CYajNnQl.jpg

x8CeP8Ml.jpg

Yeah, they're not even pretending to hide the easy SDBurton pandering here. :p

I suppose if you're in for pseudo-shoujo romcom slice of life hijinks, this is okay. At least it's not offensive. And I wonder what anime has done to me when a siscon girl runs around trying to molest little sisters is not offensive to me. lol

e_i

The difference is that a lot of that is due to flashbacks rather than actual sports. Of course, all these characters are kind of pointless in the long run anyway. lol

This GAFfer believes that Tropers shouldn't refer to themselves in third person?

---

Loli Sister-in-law
CYajNnQl.jpg

x8CeP8Ml.jpg

Yeah, they're not even pretending to hide the easy SDBurton pandering here. :p

I suppose if you're in for pseudo-shoujo romcom slice of life hijinks, this is okay. At least it's not offensive. And I wonder what anime has done to me when a siscon girl runs around trying to molest little sisters is not offensive to me. lol

Akane from YuruYuri is BEST siscon.

I'm also kind of surprised that Ken'ichi Ishikura just copy-pasted the Hidamari visuals for Sakura Trick. At times it's like watching Hidamari just with explicit yuri moments instead of the wide faces.

Nobunaga the fool - 01

It was crazy and weird , but in a weird way ..... ahem a good way

You have so much stuff to accept first , starting from some pretty ridiculous designs.

Nobunaga%20the%20Fool%20-%2001.jpg

What to do ?

I mean , a man-made ship crashes , you enter it , find a girl unconcious and your choice is to

A - take the girl outside
B - look for more survivors , might be a prettier girl , maybe ?
C - Hurry outside to gather help from your 2 followers ?
D - enter the giant mech that is close ??
What a logical choice.

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 22

Wow, this was a pretty intense episode. I mean, I don't really know that for sure because I know like, maybe 5 words in Japanese and I can't find subs for this show anywhere (can barely even find this show), but the episode certainly felt dramatic enough.

What I gleaned was this: Emperor Gore has a daughter, Gora. At some point in her childhood, Gora took on human form and was lost on the surface, only to be raised, by the cruelest of twists, by Professor Saotome by name of Miyuki. Gora, now a grown woman, wants to convince her father, Gore, to cease his war. She tries to steal the Dinosaur Empire developed "Getter Queen" to do it. During one such effort she is reunited with Michiru, Genki, and Prof. Saotome. She has what I assume is a brief romantic inclination toward Ryo as the two swing on the swing set in the sunset.

Ultimately, though, Gore will not be persuaded, and Gora sorties as Gora in the Getter Queen, telling everyone that Miyuki is dead. The Dinosaur Empire employs a mechasaur with some kinda boomerang at the same time, and to save Getter Robo from the blade, she impales herself on it. At the end she apologizes to both of her fathers just before Getter Queen explodes (the blade had gone through the cockpit and through her body). Much crying, on both sides of the wall, ensues.

It's interesting because even though Emperor Gore is an evil, scaly, vicious man, his sorrow for the loss of his only daughter is no less genuine than Professor Saotome's. It's one of those things that humanizes him and his Empire, and serves to make the show more watchable, I think.

cajunator

Banned
Akane from YuruYuri is BEST siscon.

Hmmm. Well she's hard to beat. By the way I just got Season 2 on bluray as well! So happy they licensed it all!

I'm so happy ..and i welcome this change.

I remember 2 seasons ago , free! , diabolik lovers and so on....

Now it's OUR TIME !

Yes yes. It is indeed our time :D

I'm also kind of surprised that Ken'ichi Ishikura just copy-pasted the Hidamari visuals for Sakura Trick. At times it's like watching Hidamari just with explicit yuri moments instead of the wide faces.

This pleases me GREATLY.
Truly AOTF coming.

Samurai Flamenco 12

Those characters from before still exist in other news!

And documentaries!

Yo Mari, stop hanging with Goto and figure out what to do. Maybe become the yellow!

Not too terribly impressed with the OP. Well... just not impressed.

duckroll

The new Samurai Flamenco OP is a placeholder, similar to how Psycho-Pass had a placeholder OP2 before the actual OP was completed. It's just meant to be a "best of the first half of the series" showcase for now, until the actual OP is done.

Jex

I dunno man, people still think he's a genuine human being fighting against all that "group think" that comes from the "mainstream". A real authentic guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom