• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The new Samurai Flamenco OP is a placeholder, similar to how Psycho-Pass had a placeholder OP2 before the actual OP was completed. It's just meant to be a "best of the first half of the series" showcase for now, until the actual OP is done.

Wait PP's 2nd OP was actually completed? I thought they just added new shit every week till the end.

CorvoSol

Kill La Kill 13

I love this show so much. Sorta hard not to root for Satsuki at times, though. She's fairly villainous, but compared to her mother and the High Tailor, she comes across as incredibly noble. The speech about clothing being sin in this episode lent a fair amount of credence to what Hito said back in the Fall about the show having at least a theme tied into nudity to accompany its clear desire for fan service.

Mako x Gamagoori.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'm talking about the one they ran for 2 episodes or so before there even was a real OP! It was just like... graphic text and stills. Lol.

Kinda like how Maou-sama didn't have a real OP until what, five or six episodes in? :lol

(The wait was worth it though, 'cause holy shit dat OP.)

Jex

[Samurai Flamenco] - 12

I understand what they were trying to do here and they certainly succeeded in accomplishing it but I don't know if we needed nearly the entire episode to be focused on it. I don't find it terribly interesting and the series has already explored these ideas before.

Also, the episode felt slightly disjointed to me but that's a pretty personal thing.

On a production note, there was a number of scenes which looked deliberately cheap which I suppose is a neat way to hide how dodgy the production is, but when you have woefully off-model characters in basic talking scenes that clearly isn't there for effect.

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - 01

Another excellent serie

BIg sister is sister of 2014 already ...( because there is no yuru yuri in 2014 so far ) but she is excellent already ...
Everyone dynamics were clear and the jokes were superb..it just worked .

It's just going to be so entertaining to see how everything will unfold .

Engaged%20to%20the%20Unidentified%20-%2001.jpg

lol
But big sister wasn't everything. hardworking and scared little sister was there too and it was glorious.

So far the whole cast was great.

Syrinx

Samurai Flamenco 12

So after all that's gone on, Kazama's manager has actually taken advantage of his newfound celebrity as a superhero and pimps him out as that. Oh, and holy shit, Mari is secretly crashing at Goro's place. Still doesn't seem to have much luck getting the D though. Oh well, keep at it.

And the Flamengers mech gets new toys, including a hypnotic wave beam for the dick. Didn't seem very effective. Still, a hypnotic wave beam for the dick! And a drill!

Don't like either the OP or the ED as much as the old ones. Oh well.

cajunator

Banned
Mikakunin de Shinkoukei - 01

Another excellent serie

BIg sister is sister of 2014 already ...( because there is no yuru yuri in 2014 so far ) but she is excellent already ...
Everyone dynamics were clear and the jokes were superb..it just worked .

It's just going to be so entertaining to see how everything will unfold .

But big sister wasn't everything. hardworking and scared little sister was there too and it was glorious.

So far the whole cast was great.

Mashiro is so great

Kill la Kill - 13

OH SHIT.

IMAISHI YOU TRICKED US!!

Here I go thinking: "OH BOI! A LOVE INTEREST AND A GURREN LAGANN EPISODE 11 REDUX!" but NOPE! WHAT A DAMN TWIST.

What the hell is gonna happen now that
Senketsu has been destroyed? I'll be honest, I was kind of disappointed in episode 12 seeing how Ryuko didn't become the villain like I thought she would, but this episode totally makes up for that. This was worth the wait.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kill la Kill Episode 13:

Yea, we are hitting those mono-myth plot points pretty hard this episode.
Indeed, the standard hero mopes about an worries about their powers going out of control and needing to learn what it is to be a hero. I am glad that got subverted in the end by Nui, but dear god, I think I am going to start calling Ryuko Serge at this point point because I have not seen a hero so seamlessly manipulated by various enemy forces since Chrono Cross. The high point of this episode was Satsuki's visit to the REVOCS Arena and we finally get some insight into Ragyo and yea the fascist apple has not fallen far from the tree, but Ragyo has a differing philosophy and we learn her stake in this upcoming battle. Also, yes, the none to subtle foreshadowing is indicating that Satsuki and Ragyo are going to start feuding with one another. At this point I really want to get this conquest started becuase I want to see what two arcs of planning were for, I want to see how strong The Big 3 really are.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kill la Kill 13

Now THIS is what episode 12 should have been. THIS feels more like the mid-series "HOLY FUCK" moment that we were all expecting from 12. I'll admit, some of my Kill la Kill hype was dying down due to 12's weak ending and the extended break, but after this episode it's back at full force.

Bring it on, Imaishi.

jman2050

Mikakunin 1

Hmm, on one hand, this isn't nearly as funny as Love Lab so far, the weird white highlight style is kind of distracting, and the premise seems kind of off to me. On the other hand, it's charming and I like the characters, it's incredibly pretty and well-animated as per usual from this studio and Mashiro is already on the inside track for Character of the Season. She might be able to carry this show on her own.

I'll definitely check out the next episode.

Kill la Kill 13

This was going right about exactly where I expected it to go, up until the point where it didn't.
Well you all wanted your 'status quo' changing moment, and here it is.

Seconding Mako x Gamagoori, Mako already set up to become Best Girl of 2014 as well.

jbug617

Banned
Silver Spoon S2 1

Another good OP and ED

Good to start off with Hachiken and Mikage.
lol at Hachiken thinking she meant her bra was missing and not the cow's bra.

Episode mostly dealt with
Hachiken trying to find out what is happening with Komaba and Mikage.
Seems like whatever is happening with that will need a couple of episodes to find out.

cajunator

Banned
Mikakunin 1

Hmm, on one hand, this isn't nearly as funny as Love Lab so far, the weird white highlight style is kind of distracting, and the premise seems kind of off to me. On the other hand, it's charming and I like the characters, it's incredibly pretty and well-animated as per usual from this studio and Mashiro is already on the inside track for Character of the Season. She might be able to carry this show on her own.

I'll definitely check out the next episode.

Kill la Kill 13

This was going right about exactly where I expected it to go, up until the point where it didn't.
Well you all wanted your 'status quo' changing moment, and here it is.

Seconding Mako x Gamagoori, Mako already set up to become Best Girl of 2014 as well.

Agreed on Mashiro. Probably one of the standout characters already. The show is just so cute. So far its largely innocent too (as innocent as a show with a lolicon older sister can be I guesS)

cnet128

Banned
Nagi no Asu Kara 14

Half of me wants to tell all the Mari Okada haters to just watch this damn show and see that she can do some good shit.

The other half of me wants them to stay the fuck away from it because I like this show too much to hear people tearing it apart and trying to find things wrong with it.

So I'm a little torn here.

(In the absence of Manaka, Miuna and Sayu are undisputed best girls. Tsumugu and Chisaki would actually be a pretty decent pairing, inasmuch as they kind of make sense together and it would keep worst girl the fuck away from Hikari, who already has two best girls to choose between, thank-you-very-much, and Kaname, who is for Sayu and Sayu alone.)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chuu2-2 01 (additional thoughts):

You know I don't think the first season ever had a "chuu2 fight" scene with
all 5 mains together. And I don't think Touka ever played along with a vocal attack of her own in S1 either. It was funny how when she announced her attack, it temporarily left chuu2 world as they didn't know what the attack even was.

Also I liked how in S1 parents/older siblings were present in Yuuta's and Rikka's apartments. The new contrivance to have Yuuta and Rikka living together is... Well, contrived. I dislike that setup.

Deko x Mori = OTP now and forever. <3

cajunator

Banned
Chuu2-2 01 (additional thoughts):

You know I don't think the first season ever had a "chuu2 fight" scene with
all 5 mains together. And I don't think Touka ever played along with a vocal attack of her own in S1 either. It was funny how when she announced her attack, it temporarily left chuu2 world as they didn't know what the attack even was.

Also I liked how in S1 parents/older siblings were present in Yuuta's and Rikka's apartments. The new contrivance to have Yuuta and Rikka living together is... Well, contrived. I dislike that setup.

Deko x Mori = OTP now and forever. <3

you shipped her with herself?

Syrinx

Kill la Kill 13

This Nui girl...I dunno what shit she's gonna stir up in the future, but holy shit it's going to be great. And now things shake up. I'll hold some of my excitement for now, lest they decide to
just have Senketsu get repaired and reunited with Ryuko next episode
, but I'm interested in where this is going.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Z/X Ignition Episode 1:

SO this is some afterbrith of some unholy orgy between Yu-Gi-Oh!, Darker The Black, Fate/Zero, Digimon and Cardcaptors Sakura and is not as interesting as any of those things. I have no idea who anybody is, why they are fighting, motivations, background and really any sort of emotional investment is lacking on this first outing. I may give this a few more episodes to shape up before it is shipped out for the season.

Berserk 5-12

Okay red flags everywhere about Griffith. His speeches are borderline insane yet make sense. He also seems to be getting more and more detached with Guts and Casca. Alos the princess is only 16 lol.

My view of Casca has totally changed. I used to think she was a little to bitchy but I now respect her. In age where the battlefield is ruled by men it takes guts to stand up and fight as the only woman. Her past is also extremely tragic and we understand why she looks up and values Griffith so much but it seems she's finally starting to wonder if he is really the knight in shining armour. Its almost a reflection of Guts past where his role model that he fought with his life for betrayed him showing that how blurred his perspective on the guy was.

My view on Guts has also changed after
murdering a child
and some of the stuff he says on the battlefield. He's clearly a distraught person but that moment was a massive shock to me and evidently to himself as well. He just went from a killer to a mindless killer.

Tension is building up, I can feel it.

cajunator

Banned
Berserk 5-12

Okay red flags everywhere about Griffith. His speeches are borderline insane yet make sense. He also seems to be getting more and more detached with Guts and Casca. Alos the princess is only 16 lol.

My view of Casca has totally changed. I used to think she was a little to bitchy but I now respect her. In age where the battlefield is ruled by men it takes guts to stand up and fight as the only woman. Her past is also extremely tragic and we understand why she looks up and values Griffith so much but it seems she's finally starting to wonder if he is really the knight in shining armour. Its almost a reflection of Guts past where his role model that he fought with his life for betrayed him showing that how blurred his perspective on the guy was.

My view on Guts has also changed after
murdering a child
and some of the stuff he says on the battlefield. He's clearly a distraught person but that moment was a massive shock to me and evidently to himself as well. He just went from a killer to a mindless killer.

Tension is building up, I can feel it.

Griffith will start breaking into renditions of Disney songs soon.

CorvoSol

Macross 27

AHAHAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHA. Oh of COURSE. OF COURSE. Of COURSE this would happen. From the moment that Hito told me that Kawamori was on this project I should have known. I should've foreseen that, just as in The Vision of Escaflowne and Eureka Seven, the plot would require
a kiss to save the world.
What I could never have foreseen, when this show began, was that that would be
between cousins, preceded by an admission of cousins loving each other.

Hahahaha. Really though, that
the decimation of the Earth
should occur prior to this as well ought to have been clear. I should have seen all of this coming. Hahaha.

One final complaint I feel pressed to voice with this episode is that there is an incredible amount of dissonance between Minmay's behavior and songs and what is going on in the episode. We're seeing people dying on a scale previously unimaginable, and Minmay is toddling around the Macross deck with a dopey grin on her face. Men are looking around in confusion and horror as they watch her sing about Shao Pai Lon or her pilot boyfriend and then die in a horrible conflagration. Her songs are saccharine even though the entire scene is incredibly grim. It's unsettling, but I commend the fact that by the end the tone of her songs becomes more somber and in line with what the fuck is actually happening.

So, complaints out of the way, this was actually a really solid episode. Hikaru at long, long last spits it out to Minmay, who for some reason is like "I had no idea!" leading me to ask, not for the first time "Who the fuck is your boyfriend the pilot in the song, then? The fuck went through your head writing that?" The remainder of their scenes together work out well enough. Minmay actually makes several decisions all on her own, and there is a fair amount of cathartic bitterness to the break up, even if you have to take a step back and realize that Minmay has just
admitted to being in love with her first cousin in the most half-assed way, then kissed Hikaru, then thought about Hikaru while kissing her first cousin.
Which leads me to suspect that this horrible love triangle isn't dead yet, but one can pray.

The rest of the cast is actually put through hard times because unlike Minmay, they're not idiots. Misa watches helplessly as
her father dies before her eyes
and Hikaru is thrust right into the middle of the danger. Max and Millia are fine, but their arc is basically over so yeah. Misa's father has to give the go-ahead to fire a weapon of mass destruction of hilarious scale after
the possible destruction of the human race.
and of course Captain Global is there in the command center, trying to save the day with his one eye.

The animation is stellar, with Macross' famous missile massacres, as well as the lovingly drawn motion of both Misa and Minmay's hair during various scenes of the episode. No one can say that it doesn't look amazing. There's no shortage of spectacular explosions or actions, and you can kind of feel that a significant amount of care and effort went into animating all aspects of this episode aside from Minmay's expression (which, given the you know,
end of the world and war raging around her
could stand to look more stressed and pained and less completely gleeful.)

Lastly, Hikaru and Misa finally get together. I mean they don't kiss, but come on. Dude breaks into a volatile ruin to save her, there's this amazing scene where everything goes white and the camera goes full on spin mode, she rides in his lap through their daring escape and the two of them embrace after discovering they are not the last survivors of the entire thing. Although I hate Minmay, the episode does do a fair amount of development and capitalization upon prior development for all three of these characters.

To be entirely honest, if the series were to end right here, it would not be a bad thing. This was a really good episode. It reminded me of what was good about earlier episodes in the series, wrapped up basically every last aspect of the plot, and ended with Kaifun nowhere to be seen. Of course there are like, still 10ish episodes left, so I really don't know what else they plan on doing here, but I hope it doesn't go squandering this high water mark they've just established.

So yeah, really good episode of Macross here.

Mr.Jeff

I dunno, Sono Hanabira aired in 2010.
Man, what I wouldn't give for more episodes of Reo and Mai.

Natsume is essentially an inferior Mushishi in my opinion (at least when it's not doing multi-episode stories), though I can see why some people would prefer its lightheartedness.
Natsume always struck me as more of a daily hijinks based series interspersed with it's supernatural elements. They're still pretty prominent but they sometimes they lack menace or solidity. Also, no matter how much time passed, Natsume still seemed to be stuck in his self-pity rut a lot of the time (at least up till part of the third season I watched) which felt kind of irritating.

Mushishi always struck me as the more grounded series. There's never a sense of permanently "fixing" a solution; the mushi are there, present and there's fuck all anyone can do about it. A lot of the time it's spent trying to help normal, everyday people try to reconcile the weirdness that has happened in their lives as a result of them.

I've lost the point I was trying to make again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have faith! Like horizonbrave.
There are various extenuating circumstances that make me fairly suspect is all. :p

---

Metallic Spork
sJZyuHLl.jpg

I honestly don't know if I prefer this type of romcom set up over the manufactured angst of Golden Time. 10 more episodes of dude pining over Horse Girl just sounds like it would be insufferable. But then again, at least he's not possessed by a ghost?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pupa Episode 1:

Yea, that was really fucking short, but also did no disappoint in the surreal psychological depravity department either, I shall watch future episodes.

cajunator

Banned
There are various extenuating circumstances that make me fairly suspect is all. :p

---

Metallic Spork
sJZyuHLl.jpg

I honestly don't know if I prefer this type of romcom set up over the manufactured angst of Golden Time. 10 more episodes of dude pining over Horse Girl just sounds like it would be insufferable. But then again, at least he's not possessed by a ghost?

True it could go off the rails but YURI. Such purity.

Pupa Episode 1:

Yea, that was really fucking short, but also did no disappoint in the surreal psychological depravity department either, I shall watch future episodes.

Yeah it got right to the point quick. Good stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom