• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the rarer than finding a shiny Pokemon chance that you DO decide to watch Nanoha(it's good, but watch Kino first), make sure you stick with the movies, because they're perfect for those unfamiliar with the franchise, as they don't have to sit through S1 Nanoha's filler.
The Nanoha movies are pure fanservice that leave out character development and in the A's movie's case, entire plot points. Also it doesn't have Brave Phoenix so the TV series should always be recommended first.

There's that F-word again, don't do that to me son!

Sometimes, sure. I don't often quit shows that I find spectacularly awful. It's the spectacle, really. I mean, "How awful can it be?" is basically what kept the Ripley's Believe it or Not show on the air, if not all of reality television. It isn't noble or whatever, but it sure as heck is fun taking pot shots at shows I think are bad.

When it isn't fun, I quit it. That's why I dropped Victory Gundam- because unlike AGE or 00, it wasn't even fun to hate on it. Same with Rah Xephon.

I also occasionally drop shows because they don't look like anything I want. Samurai Flamenco and Speed Grapher are both shows I didn't get very far in because I saw no real reason to.

Yeah, this is me to an extent. I gave up on Yuyushiki about five episodes in because I just felt like it wasn't going anywhere and it wasn't consistently funny enough to keep watching. If people liked it, good on them, I'm not going to criticize you.

Watamote, on the other hand, didn't bore me, it outright angered me. I kept watching, thinking "OK, this is going to be the point when Tomoko stops being a terrible person and I can feel good about watching this." But that moment never came. Its one thing for a show to be boring, its different when the show makes me angry. Watamote makes me angry.

CorvoSol

Nothing stops this train of masochism.

You are a wonderful person and I think that . . . I am not cut out for this being a nice person thing. I'll just wait for Cajun to do it instead.

Sorcerous Stabber Orphen 3

"Hey there, Baby Doll. You two sure get into a lot of trouble, don't you? Is this some kind of hereditary trait or something?"

God, 90s anime protagonists were so damn witty.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gintama - 23

Seemed oddly appropriate for this thread.

jZ8g1Aj.jpg

Serious

On the rarer than finding a shiny Pokemon chance that you DO decide to watch Nanoha(it's good, but watch Kino first), make sure you stick with the movies, because they're perfect for those unfamiliar with the franchise, as they don't have to sit through S1 Nanoha's filler.

Debatable for the first series, but watching the A's movie first is a horrible idea.

Tenumi

Banned
This post is unbearable. No one is stopping you from watching or commenting on a show, but talking about how you'll do it just to piss the fans off is as small and petty as it gets.

Speaking the truth right here.

On a random side note, with Attack on Titan now on Netflix, it tempts me to check it out and see what the fuss is about, but I just know it'll probably end up on Toonami and that makes me feel like I'm just wasting my time...

Tonari no Seki-kun - 1

This was pretty funny. It's possibly the lowest-budget anime I've ever seen, but it's pretty funny.

I can get behind an 8-minute show starring Kana Hanazawa about a girl watching her classmate's increasingly complex (and somehow completely invisible) games he's playing on his desk.

Narag

On a random side note, with Attack on Titan now on Netflix, it tempts me to check it out and see what the fuss is about, but I just know it'll probably end up on Toonami and that makes me feel like I'm just wasting my time...

Could always check out the first couple eps and decide from there. Might save you time later if it does make it to Toonami!

No, the first movie had awful pacing that didn't let anything breathe at all. I may not be big on Nanoha, but the TV show was much better than the movie.

It's also only 13 episodes. You should be ashamed for saying "filler".

The Nanoha movies are pure fanservice that leave out character development and in the A's movie's case, entire plot points. Also it doesn't have Brave Phoenix so the TV series should always be recommended first.

There's that F-word again, don't do that to me son!

Ah, when I said "Filler" I was mostly referring to the first three episodes, as things didn't pick up for that show for me until Fate showed up. I guess I just liked the way things progressed better in the movies. Didn't mean to offend anyone by calling it "filler". Apologies.

But then again, these opinions are coming from a guy who watched the TV series first, then the movies 3 months later, so my knowledge of the TV series might be a bit rusty. I'm just speaking from how I first experienced it.

All three.

Innnnteresting.... :)

CorvoSol

The first few episodes of Attack on Titan are pretty fun. That should be enough to show whence cometh the hype. If you want to see whence cometh the backlash that'd be the Defense of Trost arc.

I wonder who they will pull to be Eren, Jean, and Connie.

Though its going to be so odd to see how they do the opening to air on tv.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

I'm not sure what to think about Japan remaking Sixteen Candles in anime form. I'm not sure they can recreate the magic that was in the John Hughes 80's classic.

CorvoSol

Hey, man, if a cute
and rich
girl with sparkly purple eyes got all up in your grill and begged you to investigate something, wouldn't you?

"investigate." There'd have to be some kind of mystery to solve for that.

Also is she Chitanda or her infinitely better American counterpart Daphne?

Cuz this show is like Scooby Doo with out the 70s fun.

CorvoSol

Chitanda is Scooby and Daphne. Other girl is Velma. Satoshi is Fred, Houtaro is Shaggy. In this version of Scooby Doo the mysteries have fewer masks involved and Shaggy has been promoted to Main Guy.

Aikatsu! 30

And now Sakura has passed the initiation into main character cast! Better get more of her gimmick. Second time we got the Kitaouji Theater!

"investigate." There'd have to be some kind of mystery to solve for that.

Also is she Chitanda or her infinitely better American counterpart Daphne?

Cuz this show is like Scooby Doo with out the 70s fun.

So, wait, is Mayaka supposed to be Velma?

And which one is Scooby?

Chitanda is Scooby and Daphne. Other girl is Velma. Satoshi is Fred, Houtaro is Shaggy. In this version of Scooby Doo the mysteries have fewer masks involved and Shaggy has been promoted to Main Guy.

I see.

survivor

Banned
Nagi no Asukara 14
lZdkoBS.png

Best girl just got better, haters be damned

What the hell just happened? Weren't they all
supposed to freeze to death? Did the Sea God get lazy and just freeze the sea and forgot about the surface?
Either way the show got much more interesting by radically changing the entire status quo. I wish all slice of life shows did that if they were longer than 13 episodes, really freshens up the settings. And now with the
age gap, if the writing is good lol,
then all the existing relationships will be changed a lot and should open up a lot of possible new delicious drama.

Looking at the OP, Manaka seems to be missing from the group shots so
I assume she is probably lost or something in the sea? Maybe frozen permanently?
But more importantly this means that Hikari x Chisaki has a legit chance of winning. THE DREAM IS ALIVE.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Sakura Trick is such a dissapointment, kinda like that Kyoani anime I forgot the name of with that bird.

I'm never going to get hyped again.

CorvoSol

There is a problem with these analogies...

Not yet there isn't. Hotaro is unmotivated to solve mysteries and sarcastic about events. Shaggy. Chitanda is the rich girl. Daphne. Chitanda was literally called a dog in this episode. Scooby. Mayaka is snarky. Velma. Satoshi is the only guy interested in these mysteries and therefore Freddie.

So you did time travel that time.

I've actually been time traveling today. My bedroom got sucked into the 90s this afternoon, and I made a pit stop several minutes in the future before returning to my own time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom