• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Strike the Blood 13

Am I the only one still watching this? :lol I was actually considering dropping it to make room in my schedule for Winter stuff, but I guess I've kinda grown a bit attached to the characters, so in the line-up it stays.

I am. Still enjoying it. But then I'm also enjoying Tokyo Ravens as well mostly.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA - 06 *4 minutes in*

ntLWaCv.png

7VTZeAA.gif

Problem is that Ryuuko is still a shitty lead and instead of trying to correct the problem and develop Ryuuko as a character, they waste another episode to play one big 'gotcha' on the audience.
All the lines Nui did critizing Ryuuko were dead on and just when it looks like Ryuuko might be stepping out and actually having a real reason to fight, she gets put back in her place.

The episode might have been fine if we weren't at the halfway point and Ryuuko wasn't still in the same circling pattern character-wise that she's been in since episode 3.

While I have been enjoying this show for what it's worth, I do agree with your criticisms of Ryuko. At least with Gurren Lagann there was a really good reason to root for Simon
(Dude's gotta save his waifu! Go go go!)

Whereas here in Kill la Kill Ryuko's got next to nothing. Nobody's in real danger, the universe isn't on the verge of exploding, etc. Yeah I like seeing her in action, but this show would be ten times more exciting if she had a much bigger reason to fight.

Maybe it would feel more powerful if more focus was put on the lower-class students looking up to Ryuko as a hero for standing up to Satsuki. Like, make it seem like being a no-star is a living hell under Satsuki's rule. But that scenario is used pretty much for comic relief as opposed to actual drama with all the students flying around comically.

Actually, that's pretty much the difference between this show and TTGL.

TTGL was 50% Hot-blooded action. 40% drama, and 10% comedy.

Kill la Kill is the other way around while still having 50% hot-blooded action, it has 40% comedy and 10% drama.

I remember laughing at Mako's antics far more than feeling any actual FEELS in this show. Which, isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just not the same as Gurren Lagann.

In fact, I'm enjoying this show more for the super-secret stuff going on in the background with Satsuki. I'll be honest, Satsuki's true motivations and intentions are going to be the thing that either makes or breaks this show for me since they've been hinting at it a lot with all the flash-backs involving her. So I'm expecting a big reveal centric episode somewhere down the line.

survivor

Banned
Nourin 1

Teacher of the season.

Teacher of the year.

Would call her best girl of the season but saying that to a
year old may seem a little awkward.
Wait, this is an actual anime airing this season? When I saw the top right image earlier today I thought it was from some new hentai.

CorvoSol

Problem is that Ryuuko is still a shitty lead and instead of trying to correct the problem and develop Ryuuko as a character, they waste another episode to play one big 'gotcha' on the audience.
All the lines Nui did critizing Ryuuko were dead on and just when it looks like Ryuuko might be stepping out and actually having a real reason to fight, she gets put back in her place.

The episode might have been fine if we weren't at the halfway point and Ryuuko wasn't still in the same circling pattern character-wise that she's been in since episode 3.

I feel the real problem with Ryuuko is that the show doesn't really deliver yet on what Mako claimed her motive was: to get to know her father better. If that element of her character would improve, I think Ryuuko would get a lot better. Hopefully separating her from
Senketsu, who has her father's personality
will ensure some development.

In the meantime, Satsuki is the real lead.

EDIT: ON a side note, I feel that KLK's soundtrack is sort of underappreciated. The music in that show is great, and great at setting the scene.

Lain

Kill la Kill 13

Didn't like this episode at all. Well, not at all. There was still Mako. But everything else was meh.

cajunator

Banned

I'm not sure what to think about Japan remaking Sixteen Candles in anime form. I'm not sure they can recreate the magic that was in the John Hughes 80's classic.

I dunno what it resembles or anything but god she's cute.
Also is this the season of twin-tails because that would be perfectly ok!

Who could say no to these eyes?

ibtwt6XpCIQ3Px.gif

To Chitanda maybe not but I would poke out Mayaka's eyes with a fork.

Paranoia Agent 3

Man I did not see this coming at ALL.

Just wait Corvy. This show aint close to done with you yet!

No-Rin 01

fWL6Deyl.jpg

This was better than I expected.

The comedy was there, I rather liked the visual things they did like during the cow chase and the chibis interacting on a screen.

It's kinda too early to really tell what kind of show this will be for me though, since this episode was mostly character introductions but color me impressed.

CorvoSol

For instance, I don't particularly care for the character of Nui Harime, but I anticipate her scenes solely for her themesong.

Similarly, Ragyo Kiryuin's scenes are utterly sold by her theme.

So it surprises me, actually, that among all the complaints I have heard for this last episode, no one has mentioned what was entirely wrong with the music. While there was a comedic stopping of the music every time newspaper boy was shut up by Ryuuko, this persisted in other scenes, and that really kind of hurt the episode, because the tracks for this show really work for the scenes they're running, but, while the tone may freely transition from serious to silly, the score switching so suddenly can be a bit jarring.

That said, I really like the music in KLK. Then again I liked the music in AoT, too, so I'm kind of a pleb.

cajunator

Banned
pupa 1

As expected, I hate hate hate the short episode length. It's stupid as fuck. If only they could at least have made the episodes more like ten minutes instead of four (even if it meant halving the number of episodes!) it would feel much more reasonable than the tiny chunks we're getting.

That said, the pacing felt about as good as it could possibly be in such a limited space of time, and this minuscule episode still managed to leave quite the impression. Dat body horror. Will stick with this.

Yeah its like horribly cut short but Im still intrigued by it.

Sakura Trick - 01

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely wonderful first episode and definitely a contender for my anime of the season. Loved the chemistry between Yuu and Haruka and how their first kiss came to be... their awkward pauses, shuffling back and forth before taking the plunge... adorable!!! Haruka using her playful nature to get what she wanted from Yuu had me fist pumping so hard over here! I definitely got some HidaSketch vibes as someone else mentioned before, which again is a great thing (watch HidaSketch if you haven't already, seriously) and I'm so jazzed to see that there appears to be two more pairings for us to gush over. HELL YES TO MORE SHIPS!

GAUgzMP.gif

Working for what felt like an eternity to come home and watch this was so worth it. Sooooooooo worth it. Winter Anime status: SAVED.

We all saw this coming but Im glad you have found your garden of nirvana :D

Golden Time 13

Die, Ghost Banri. Just die, OK?

And on the subject of things that should die, MY GOD you guys weren't kidding about the new OP being awful. I mean, seriously, everyone was complaining about it, but I thought you must have been exaggerating, it couldn't be that bad. Turns out it wasn't that bad, it was worse. I am unable to comprehend how anyone even began to think that was a good idea. How did everyone responsible for this track not get immediately fired and replaced with people who aren't sadists who desire nothing but to inflict suffering upon the ears of the world? If this is a joke, it isn't funny. Just bring back the old OP. Or replace it with static. Or silence. Or the screams of dying kittens. Please. Anything but this.

Aside from Ghost Banri and the OP, this was a nice episode. Kouko love. Banri should be slapped for
not kissing her
though.

Its like they are actively trying to ruin this show but Koko is too much of a goddess to overcome. The only way I wont keep watching is if she suddenly disappears from it entirely.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What's funny is his post instilled some confidence in me it won't suck given the director. :lol

He directed the "Yayoi's dead dad", "Miyuki's grandma", and Miracle Peace episodes in Smile Precure, which had huge leaps in the maturity of how the material was handled (quality :firehawk!) and really sumptuous art, deliberate scene framing, and other great technical achievements. Dude has the talent.

CorvoSol

Meh. It's not even as good as Attack on Titan's.

I think that Attack on Titan had some good songs like this one, and of course its first opening, but it also had that ear rendingly awful 2nd OP, which reflected the hilarious drop of quality in the show.

Er, I mean, I appreciate AoT's sound track, but I don't think it is as good as KLK's.

Syrinx

He directed the "Yayoi's dead dad", "Miyuki's grandma", and Miracle Peace episodes in Smile Precure, which had huge leaps in the maturity of how the material was handled (quality :firehawk!) and really sumptuous art, deliberate scene framing, and other great technical achievements. Dude has the talent.

Those are definitely some of the better episodes of Smile, though I wasn't a huge fan of the Miracle Peace episode.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think that Attack on Titan had some good songs like this one, and of course its first opening, but it also had that ear rendingly awful 2nd OP, which reflected the hilarious drop of quality in the show.

Er, I mean, I appreciate AoT's sound track, but I don't think it is as good as KLK's.

I never got much of the hate, I do get some as a lot of his music sounds exactly the same and he isn't a good lyricist, but he at least seems serviceable.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Googled the name and saw he directed Suite Precure, which I heard was crap. Isn't really reinforcing his mahou shoujo credentials, but madp probably knows more about him than I do.

Suite starts off well enough; the fact that it ultimately trainwrecks is due entirely to some extremely shoddy writing that no amount of good direction could save. Sakai really upped his game with Smile and is even more ready to oversee an entire project now.

Consider this madp hype. Everyone can blame me if Sailor Moon 201X4 sucks.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mikakunin 1

I was expecting this to be more kinetic and snappy from the previews, but it's a pretty orthodox comedy (for now) with consistently solid production values. Some of the jokes work, some don't, and I'm not fond of the shrill loli or the protagonist's predatory lolicon sister; the latter especially is an anime personality trait that just needs to die entirely and it's my hope that these characters receive lower shares of screentime as the supporting cast grows larger.

I'm intrigued enough by the romantic aspects of the show to keep watching, though; Kobeni's confused and contradictory feelings toward her own predicament make her an interesting character and Kobeni's betrothed is clearly not just a self-insert doofus, which already makes him better than the majority of male romantic leads. There's something endearingly human about Kobeni at times, like how she's so shellshocked by what's going on that basically the only thing that she can think to do is make dinner for everybody. This is probably going to end up being an example of a show where the protagonist being the most normal, grounded person in a big ensemble cast is a good thing.

Even though the fact that
they obviously have a "history", if one that Kobeni can't remember
is ultimately going to control the direction and secure the outcome of the relationship, there is the potential for entertaining interaction in the time before the necessary SHOCKU reveals hijack the courtship. We have a genki girl and a quiet guy who are basically forced to find ways to get along with and open up to each other, and while that's hardly a novel concept, romance, like anything, is all about execution anyway and Dogakobo has a huge amount of good will from me after Love Lab.

Maybe Mikakunin will be massively popular and arranged marriage romances will be the next big wish fulfillment fad genre. Then we'll be able to have all sorts of fun examining what this says about the desperation and loneliness of the average Japanese otaku!

Cwarrior

What's funny is his post instilled some confidence in me it won't suck given the director. :lol

saint seiya omega ends in march sailor moon redux starts in July chances are you guys get those guys and also no natoshi shida transformation for you guys his busy working on toriko vs stajun now after being done with doki precure....har har har.

What's funny is that toei had never but any of there top animators on salior moon during it's entire run.shimanuka,noaki tate,kazuya hisada, Takio ide, noatoshi shida where busy with dragon ball z, while the others like easku Inoue was busy with saint seiya.

While the pecure series get a much better treatment when it comes to key animators.

Strike the Blood 13

Am I the only one still watching this? :lol I was actually considering dropping it to make room in my schedule for Winter stuff, but I guess I've kinda grown a bit attached to the characters, so in the line-up it stays.

Good episode and good start to a new arc. Kojou's harem just keeps on growing. Though I have to say, I really do like how the show keeps picking up new characters with each arc (even if their only purpose is to increase the size of Kojou's harem). Also, glad to see Astarte actually has a purpose/dialogue in this arc. She's been terribly underused thus far.

And dat twist at the end.
Did not see a body swap coming.

Also what the fuck @ no new OP. I had three shows I was expecting to get new OPs, and of those three, only Golden Time did, and it's fucking awful. Dammit.

Nah I am watching it too as well. i know what you mean by the characters, but yeah..somewhat guilty pleasure :p

Dresden

saint seiya omega ends in march sailor moon redux starts in July chances are you guys get those guys and also no natoshi shida transformation for you guys his busy working on toriko vs stajun now after being done with doki precure....har har har.

The Redux of the month are getting natoshi Shida conversion nor for you guys and those guys, you guys are carried out in a busy pounding Pretty Cure his ending in starting March sailor chance of July saints Seiya Ω after were, .... HAR HAR HAR working on now stajun pair tricot

Silver Spoon 2 01

4TvpoDJl.jpg

Pretty much the same as usual. I mean the material it is adapting is strong as usual, but I just don't feel like it's really doing anything new with it.

Probably just the first episode and we'll get better with even strong material but eh...

Narag

The Redux of the month are getting natoshi Shida conversion nor for you guys and those guys, you guys are carried out in a busy pounding Pretty Cure his ending in starting March sailor chance of July saints Seiya Ω after were, .... HAR HAR HAR working on now stajun pair tricot

The disease has spread. Duckroll protect us :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Needed a One Piece sakuga gif at the end to make it truly complete.

cnet128

Banned
Nourin 1

HanaKana speaking Kansai-ben? Now I've heard everything.

I didn't think I'd agree with the folks saying the teacher is the greatest, since God knows Christmas cakes aren't high on my appreciation list (in fact, they don't appear on there at all), but y'all were right, she's legit amazing. Every scene of hers was pretty much gold.

I found more things to like about this show than I expected. Its use of little chibi character overlays in conversations is rather endearing, and the comedic chemistry (is that even a thing? Eh, you know what I mean) between the characters during the whole dragging-MC-out-of-his-pitiful-depression scene was great. Definitely convinced to stick with this show for the time being.

Oh, and the idol's stage name is Yuka and her real name is Ringo? I think I'm going to have to abbreviate that to "Yukarin". Definitely not for any other reasons. N-uh-uh. Why would you even think that. (I'm sure I must be the first person in the WHOLE WORLD to make this connection.)

Syrinx

Kino's Journey 7

That flashback to Kino's encounter with the woman on the horse-drawn carriage explained why Kino seemed so prepared for what she was getting into when she entered the country. As to why the woman went ahead and told Kino that anyway, I think that would be due more to the trauma than anything else and her fear of having to relive it by explaining to Kino what had happened there.

I watched the puppet show again after the episode was over to see if there was any specific reason that the king killed that woman Kino was fighting. Either there was some symbolism I missed with the white flowers, or the king felt his rage burn over her desire to have people honor their mothers, maybe because his wife sent their two children away from the country to protect them. Or something with his own mother, who they only said that he lost at an early age.

It is strange how Kino went about this tournament, because like cajunator said, it isn't like her to go into a country and try to change its customs. Again, it was probably because this king was one particularly fucked up motherfucker. But it is interesting how the law she introduced is basically completely overhauling the social structure of the country, basically pulling a complete reversal of roles by having the first class citizens compete instead of the lower classes and outside combatants. Maybe had to do when she visited the slums below the bridge.

Gazoinks

Kino's Journey 7

That flashback to Kino's encounter with the woman on the horse-drawn carriage explained why Kino seemed so prepared for what she was getting into when she entered the country. As to why the woman went ahead and told Kino that anyway, I think that would be due more to the trauma than anything else and her fear of having to relive it by explaining to Kino what had happened there.

I watched the puppet show again after the episode was over to see if there was any specific reason that the king killed that woman Kino was fighting. Either there was some symbolism I missed with the white flowers, or the king felt his rage burn over her desire to have people honor their mothers, maybe because his wife sent their two children away from the country to protect them. Or something with his own mother, who they only said that he lost at an early age.

It is strange how Kino went about this tournament, because like cajunator said, it isn't like her to go into a country and try to change its customs. Again, it was probably because this king was one particularly fucked up motherfucker. But it is interesting how the law she introduced is basically completely overhauling the social structure of the country, basically pulling a complete reversal of roles by having the first class citizens compete instead of the lower classes and outside combatants. Maybe had to do when she visited the slums below the bridge.

This was a cool mini-arc. I like how, in a show that's super detached and mellow, there's an action arc stuck into the middle and it doesn't feel out of place at all.

CorvoSol

I never got much of the hate, I do get some as a lot of his music sounds exactly the same and he isn't a good lyricist, but he at least seems serviceable.

I'm really terrible at music criticism, despite having a fair amount of music study under my belt. All I can say is that I really, really hate AoT's 2nd OP so, so so so so so so much that it is practically a symbol of how much I came to hate AoT.

I know there are people who think it's terrible to hate on AoT, so let me just throw down for no one in particular my thoughts on the series, since I'm far enough away from it to avoid significant vitriol now.

Let me first say that I loved the show when it premiered. Attack on Titan as a premise rocked my socks, what with the Spider-Man fighting Giant Zombies going on, I was super down for that. The music, the animation, it all looked great and I was enchanted. I wasn't a particularly big fan of Misa or Armin, but I thought Eren showed promise.

Then
Eren died
and I may have over reacted to that a bit much. Especially since I was pretty damn hype when
Eren came back.
Honestly the show felt great, propelling me from one big moment to another, and those first few episodes were really solid.

Then along came Armin's 20-minute 20-seconds. Then a recap episode. That whole arc was slow enough that I had time to finally sit down and look at the show. Then that fucking "CAPTAIN LEVI WHAT IS THE PLAN WHAT IS THE PLAN CAPTAIN LEVI DO YOU KNOW THE PLAN I DON'T BUT I BET CAPTAIN LEVI DOES HE ISN'T SAYING SO BUT CAPTAIN LEVI WHAT IS THE PLAN?"

Then I broke. I realized I hated the show for what it had become, its flaws naked before my flame-ringed eye, and while I did ultimately finish the show, it was not without several complaints. One final nail in the coffin came when some rat bastard in the thread, under the guise of "Hey guys what if?" spoiled that MANGA SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK HERE IF YOU DO NOT WANT MAJOR MANGA SPOILERS NO SERIOUSLY DO NOT CLICK THIS SPOT
Reiner was a Titan.

My specific complaints with Attack on Titan, then, are the following:

First and simplest is the animation. The show looked so good at first that I didn't even realize how much CGI it was using. Then the forest comes along and looks like a goddamn PS2 game. Then there's the blue footed Titan. Then the dopey waddling Titans. And so on and so forth. They even went from a fairly good looking 2D opening to stuffing that godawful CGI into that godawful 2nd OP.

Second would be the pacing, which is the most obvious and vocal complaint the show has. Armin has 20 seconds that literally last an entire episode. That is Dragon Ball Z filler in a way that even Dragon Ball Z might have been reluctant to do, since they at least had action. Beyond that there are so many scenes where people all stand around and say the same thing to each other. The "Hey what is the plan for this forest jizz anyway?" is the largest offender. It leads into complaint number three.

I want to call this the tone, but I don't know what it is, so I'll just say the writing. Specifically, Attack on Titan can be painfully, unnecessarily repetitive. We all know that everyone screaming everything is at least a part of the show's style, but the sheer number of times people freak out about how afraid of the Titans they are is just plain grating. I mean really. Pick up the TV and watch a zombie show or movie. You know how people become after long-term exposure to monsters? HINT: It isn't pants-shittingly whiny. They get desensitized. Sometimes to the point of creating that other stupid zombie show cliche of people who think the undead are just sick and not undead. But even though people have been living with the immediate threat of giant zombies for decades, they're still pissing themselves like it is the first time they've seen these things.

But it isn't JUST "Oh no I am so scared to be eaten alive!" that pisses me off. No, it's also "OH NO MY MANEUVER GEAR JAMMED I AM FUCKED." Like seriously? How many fucking times can you do this same scene? It happens ALL the time. The show isn't just SLOW, it's REPETITIVE, and that's what I think pissed me off most.

When it was good, when they were trying to figure out
Eren's powers
or when they were finally confronting
Annie
it was great. But there was so much of the banal, the repetitive, the unnecessarily dull. Like toward the end we spend a hilarious amount of time with Annie's group, but it has no real meaning at all, since
Annie does nothing so we never see her develop until Eren's team shows up, and it isn't like her new comrades serve any importance at all.

In short, while I really, really hate what Attack on Titan became, if, and it is a MIGHTY BIG if, the next season should improve, I would not continue to hate it, and would join the masses who praise it. This is a stark contrast to Sword Art Online, which the recent Christmas special confirmed will not ever, ever be getting any better at all. If they can fix their shit, I'll care. That said, the show's failings have not been entirely spared, either. I will, no matter the critical quality of a show, never, ever watch another show by Studio WIT ever again after Attack on Titan. I mean, fucking BONES raped one of my favorite franchises to a brutal death and I will probably still watch shows by them from time to time, but WIT I will never, ever touch again. If you know I am watching a WIT show, stop me, no matter how much I seem to enjoy it.

K gave its monthly image update, cant wait for 7 12 2014
tumblr_mz7u3t4s611qmldhio1_500.jpg

Ever since the “School Island Incident” in which four <Kings> were involved,
The Silver Clansmen, Neko and Yatogami Kuroh
Have been searching for their master, Shiro.
On a particular day, the two of them were in low spirits because they couldn’t find any leads to Shiro.
However, they ended up running into Kamamoto Rikio and Kushina Anna,
Members of <HOMRA> who were in the middle of being chased down by someone.

Isana got an actually good outfit

Nourin 1

Oh, and the idol's stage name is Yuka and her real name is Ringo? I think I'm going to have to abbreviate that to "Yukarin". Definitely not for any other reasons. N-uh-uh. Why would you even think that. (I'm sure I must be the first person in the WHOLE WORLD to make this connection.)
Another Silver Link show with another Yukarin role?

cajunator

Banned
Koko cooking is adorable

Oh god. Understatement. But most of what she does is hnng worthy. a character worthy of coming from Taiga's creator.

Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA - 06 *4 minutes in*

7VTZeAA.gif

Dude Im afraid for your life with all this yuri lately. Please do be careful!

Kino's Journey 7

The next episode is one of my absolute favorites for some reason. I just love it to death. The woman in it is cute too.

Syrinx

This was a cool mini-arc. I like how, in a show that's super detached and mellow, there's an action arc stuck into the middle and it doesn't feel out of place at all.

Yeah. Maybe it's because even while fighting, Kino still wanted to know more about the people she was fighting against.

Branduil

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 16

iS36wqNQZ6Lsa.jpg
i28M2sftQ13Bb.jpg

Who though this abomination was a good idea?

That was, like, the
worst mutiny attempt ever. You screwed up bad, Niimi. It sure was shocking that the security chief turned out to be evil. Almost as shocking as finding out Mori is an alien.
Also, how has no one realized yet that
Misaki is having severe personality issues?

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 16

That was, like, the
worst mutiny attempt ever. You screwed up bad, Niimi. It sure was shocking that the security chief turned out to be evil. Almost as shocking as finding out Mori is an alien.
Also, how has no one realized yet that
Misaki is having severe personality issues?

*sees images*

At this point, the only thing going through my head was "They said CG gets better! They said CG gets better! WHAT AM I LOOKING AT!?"

I just want to know what the name of that song was in episodes 3 and 11 of Kill la Kill cause when that song played it was amaaazing.

You know, the one that
played when Ryuko fully transformed for the first time and when she was blasting away Nonon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom