• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, that's how I kind of approached it. I thought it was over the top fun, I just wasn't sure how I felt about the fan service. I think it can be funny when done right. Guess it was just kind of shock to me, as it was the first time I had seen it so blatant and in your face as the show. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll make a list like I did with films last time I asked you guys.

I slipped a film in there, Millennium Actress lol. But otherwise those are TV shows

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just finished watching Wake Up Girls with the SO, and we both enjoyed it. Hoping it stays grounded and also goes a little into how creepy and cut-throat the idol world seems to be. I'm not asking for Perfect Blue or anything but the scene where the manager asks the girls (aged 13 to 18) to remember their panty shots was... surprising. At the same time I expect similar stuff to creep up in real life. If they don't sugar coat it, we'll definitely stick with the show.

Mononoke

Banned
I slipped a film in there, Millennium Actress lol. But otherwise those are TV shows

I actually saw Millennium Actress! It was recommended to me in this thread last time I asked about films. What an incredible film. You actually reminded me that I need to watch Tokyo Godfathers. I'm kind of holding off on that one, because I guess its getting a Blu Ray release in February. I think I want my first time to be in HD.

I was also sort of let down by Highschool of the Dead just abruptly ends. I know it's based on a Manga, and so my guess is, there isn't enough material to make a second season? But I thought the final episode kind of felt rushed, and it didn't feel like enough happened to justify it as a season finale. Kind of bummed there is nothing AFTER that. In general, I hate when stories just end, and there isn't anything after it (when there should be).

Porco Rosso is my Anime Introduction for anyone that hasn't seen any ever. One of my favourite movies ever. I'll have to get my hands on this blueray. And the others eventually.

Yeah, I tend to get carried away sometimes. That wall of text, sorry if it was a mess to read. I do recommend Porco Rosso though on Blu Ray. Looks gorgeous in HD. The Japanese version has no English in the menus at all (no surprise). But it's really easy to figure out which menu is language/subtitles. They give you a full range of options (English Dub/Sub) whatever you prefer. I don't know if Porco will get a US release in Blu Ray. I know I read an article saying that Mononoke won't be distributed in Blu Ray in the U.S. by Disney, because Disne'y can't market the film (it's too mature for their demographic). So basically, they don't see money in distributing it. I wonder if Porco Rosso will end up being the same thing. Either way, hopefully someone else distributes them eventually for a U.S. release. I just went ahead and imported Mononoke, Porco Rosso & Kikis Delivery Service on Blu Ray. Kiki should come to the U.S., but Porco and Mononoke were in doubt.

Anyways, I'll close this out by asking for a favor. Can you guys recommend me what you think is the best Anime TV shows? Now that I finally have more free time, I want to start watching TV shows vs. film. I really don't have any preference for genre so I'm down for anything, as long as its quality. The only thing I'll say is, I kind of want shows that have an ending, or an ending in sight. I don't want a show that is like 300 + episodes, and is still going. I guess I also would like it if the anime was cinematic (but that doesn't have to be 100% the case).
I love recommending my favorite things!

Hidamari Sketch
Sora no Woto
Haibane Renmei
Aria
Spice and Wolf
Mushishi
Cardcaptor Sakura
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
The Tatami Galaxy
Azumanga Daioh
Girls Und Panzer
Steins;Gate
Toradora
Working!
Katanagatari

cajunator

Banned
I actually saw Millennium Actress! It was recommended to me in this thread last time I asked about films. What an incredible film. You actually reminded me that I need to watch Tokyo Godfathers. I'm kind of holding off on that one, because I guess its getting a Blu Ray release in February. I think I want my first time to be in HD.

I was also sort of let down by Highschool of the Dead just abruptly ends. I know it's based on a Manga, and so my guess is, there isn't enough material to make a second season? But I thought the final episode kind of felt rushed, and it didn't feel like enough happened to justify it as a season finale. Kind of bummed there is nothing AFTER that. In general, I hate when stories just end, and there isn't anything after it (when there should be).

Excellent. Knew you'd love Millennium Actress! Tokyo godfathers is much less surreal but still has an amazing feeling to it. Its charming.

I love recommending my favorite things!

Hidamari Sketch
Sora no Woto
Haibane Renmei
Aria
Spice and Wolf
Mushishi
Cardcaptor Sakura
The Tatami Galaxy
Azumanga Daioh
Girls Und Panzer
Steins;Gate
Toradora
Working!
Katanagatari

This entire list right here.

Mononoke

Banned
Excellent. Knew you'd love Millennium Actress! Tokyo godfathers is much less surreal but still has an amazing feeling to it. Its charming.

This entire list right here.

I actually thought Millennium Actress was one of the best films I've ever seen - period. Definitely classic cinema, and something I'll cherish and show others. Wonderful film. It was also a huuuuge step up from Paprika. Kind of bummed that was my first film by Satoshi Kon.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hajime no Ippo Rising Episode 14
Hajime no ippo sure knows how to bring the feels ;_; it has made me bust a fucking gut one min, and made me appreciate a character to the fullest the next

Bombless

Yeah, I tend to get carried away sometimes. That wall of text, sorry if it was a mess to read. I do recommend Porco Rosso though on Blu Ray. Looks gorgeous in HD. The Japanese version has no English in the menus at all (no surprise). But it's really easy to figure out which menu is language/subtitles. They give you a full range of options (English Dub/Sub) whatever you prefer.

It wasn't a comment about the size, I just didn't want to quote the whole thing :)

I second the call for Girls und Panzer! I got into that on a whim and I ended up watching it in a single sitting (12 eps is short). I also recommend Arpeggio of Blue Steel (13 episodes, just ended).

And I can already tell you that you will LOVE Tokyo Godfathers. It would also make for a great Anime Introduction movie.

Edit : Katanagatari was mentioned I see. Watch this too. Then if you liked what that bastard Nisio (the writer) did, then check out Monogatari. Very different, still as awesome.

cajunator

Banned
I actually thought Millennium Actress was one of the best films I've ever seen - period. Definitely classic cinema, and something I'll cherish and show others. Wonderful film. It was also a huuuuge step up from Paprika. Kind of bummed that was my first film by Satoshi Kon.

I feel the same. Its an astounding movie. Even beyond my usual hyperbole. Its just incredible.

Hmm, I couldn't tell. It hasn't been that long since restaurants and the secrets of making tasty food were established, so I assumed it wouldn't be in the game.

But it was already established that once the secret was let out, it spread everywhere. Extremely quickly. IIRC we see glimpses of other restaurants. And we see that even the People of the Land started to use the hidden method of cooking to make extremely tasty food.

Info seems to spread stupidly quick through Elder Tale.

Nordicus

I just looked up this Nukoduke and I very nearly died. It needs to be an anime.
Keep reading like I did and this'll happen to you too!

Nukoduke 1-13

Nordicus died due to a cuteness overdose on November 13th 2013. Nukoduke has been declared illegal internationally

It's not fun needing to move from place to place as a poltergeist, haunting people's computers!

...okay, might be kinda fun during Halloween when people are more paranoid, but still.

Crocodile

Hey guys. Before I make my latest post, I just wanted to make sure my posts are appropriate for this thread. I know most of the discussion here is about what is out this season/year. And most of my replies are about old films, as I'm new to anime and am catching up on the classics first. So hopefully I'm not being too annoying. But on that note, I also want to thank you guys for your kindness. I literally know NO ONE in my life that likes Anime. In fact, when I was in film school, a lot of people looked down on it. So I really have no one to talk to about this stuff. So I just appreciate having a place to just voice my opinions, or to get things off my chest about something I'm really passionate about.

In this thread we talk about anime from ANY period of time. Though current shows tend to dominate the conversation, feel free to discuss any anime you want :)

That out of the way,

Nothing really new to say, but I got Porco Rosso on Blu Ray for my birthday. I didn't even know it was out yet in Japan, so when I found out I was extremely giddy. I also didn't know that I could just make an account on Amazon.jp and order stuff through it! It was way cheaper than buying through U.S. Amazon or Ebay. Anyways, my birthday is on the 15th next week, so I bought it because the shipping was estimated to deliver it on my Birthday. But to my surprise, it randomly got delivered 4 days early!

Long story short, I watched it again last night, and I'm so in love with this film. It was always my personal favorite of Miyzaki's, but this was my first time watching it in HD (and my second time watching it). And it just reaffirmed my absolute love for this story. I think outside of Mononoke, this is easily Miyzaki's most mature film. I love how it's a throw back to the old romantic/European action adventure films. Porco is such a cool character, and everything about the film is beautiful and romantic. I also have to say, I don't always love Miyzaki's endings. But to me, Porco Ross's ending is just perfect. I love how the last shot tells you everything you need to know. It's also a movie I feel, is really rewarding when you think about the themes.

Anyways, that is all. It was just a real treat for me. I now own every single Ghibli film that is available on Blu Ray (still waiting desperately for Spirited Away to get a Blu Ray release) - except Arrietty and Tales from Earthsea (they are also the only two Ghibli films I haven't seen. Heard mixed things about them, and have kind of avoided them). Next up on my list of Blu Ray to watch is Akira and Tekkon Kinkreet. I watched about 40 min of Akira, but was kind of bored. I hope the film picks up better. It was a mistake to watch it a 3am though, so kind of my fault.

I can't say I love every single Miyazaki film but there's no denying the man has an impeccable portfolio. Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. As for Akira, its more known for its extremely strong animation than its deep plot or intricate characters. It was also kind of mindblowing for much of the American audience back in the day who were so used to Disney fare just because of the contrast. It's a classic for good reason but again, the writing/characterization/etc. aren't why its fondly remembered. Be sure to watch it all the way through at some point though.

All that out of the way, I also experienced for the first time "fan service" in Anime. Well, actually Space Dandy last week had a lot of that. But since I've stuck strictly to Anime film, I haven't really seen it that much. But I saw this Anime called "Highschool of the Dead". It was completely by accident, but after I saw the first episode, I decided to just watch the rest of the short 12 episodes. I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, I actually did like elements of the show. I mean, it's a Zombie show. Zombies + over the top violence is always fun. Some of the characters were actually pretty cool too. But my god, the fan service was so...I don't even know lmao. Keep in mind, I'm totally new to Anime. Only started watching this year, and I haven't seen any anime TV shows in my life (Except Cowboy Beebop, which my brother made me watch years ago). I guess I'm not opposed to fan service if it's done in a jokey manner. Like they are making fun of it. But yeah, I can't say I cared much for it in this show.

Is this considered a crappy show? Is fan service like that in most Anime TV shows? I guess I kind of struggle with it, because I come from a family with a lot of women in it. And I've always been raised with semi-feminist values etc. It's kind of a touchy subject I suppose, because I don't want to judge another culture. And at least for me, I'm also more lenient when it comes to art vs. real life. But yeah, I dunno.

High School of the Dead has much more fanservice than the average anime. There is a lot of anime with fanserivce (of the female or male T&A variety) out there but they don't make up the majority of anime and most anime that do have fanservice don't have nearly as much fanservice as HSOD. I will have to point out that even though high levels of fanservice often serve as a shortcut to show the intent of the creators, there are a lot of REALLY GOOD anime that has some (even a lot) of fanservice. A lot of the fanservice-heavy shows aren't very good but you can't make the assumption that because it has a lot of fanserivce that it is a bad show. Even the amount of fanservice can't tell the whole picture as how they use it matters as well. As you watch more anime and become more familiar with particular creators, tropes, etc. your discerning eye will become better. You can go with your gut but be prepared to at least be willing to watch shows that look like there are filled with T&A (or for dudes "upper body" and ass). Listening to recommendations helps as well.

As for whether or not HSOD is considered a good or bad show, it depends on what you're looking for. The show doesn't pretend to be high-class entertainment, its strictly for the lizard part of your brain. As such, many people enjoy it even though they recognize that it isn't a "good show". If you are a fan of "turn your brain off" type of shows/movies, than HSOD seems fine from what I know of it.

Anyways, I'll close this out by asking for a favor. Can you guys recommend me what you think is the best Anime TV shows? Now that I finally have more free time, I want to start watching TV shows vs. film. I really don't have any preference for genre so I'm down for anything, as long as its quality. The only thing I'll say is, I kind of want shows that have an ending, or an ending in sight. I don't want a show that is like 300 + episodes, and is still going. I guess I also would like it if the anime was cinematic (but that doesn't have to be 100% the case).

CLASSIC SHOWS
Samurai Champloo
Fullmetal Alchemist (03 and Brotherhood)
Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann*
Pamty & Stocking**
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons)
Black Lagoon
Serial Experiments Lain
Evangelion (I'm not the BIGGEST fan but this is pretty much requite viewing for an anime fan)
Mushishi
Fullmetal Panic (Fumoffu and Second Raid mostly)
Giant Robo
Kaledio Star
Kino's Journey
Great Teacher Onizuka
Gankutsou
Gundam(s) (I personally really liked G Gundam a whole lot. Many others will suggest Zeta Gundam or Turn A Gundam. Gundam 00 and Gundam Seed are pretty disappointing though)
Ouran Host Club
Outlaw Star
Paranoia Agent (and most everything Satoshi Kon has done)
Trigun
Gungrave (1st episode SUCKS though)
Yu Yu Hakusho
FLCL
Hosoda Films - Summer Wars and Girl who Leapt Through Time

*has a fair bit of fanservice
**LOTS of sexual humour so not for everybody but I loved it

RECENT SHOWS
Steins;Gate
Fate/Zero
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Attack on Titan (has some pacing issues though but most lapsed/new anime fans love it)
Little Witch Academia
Wolf's Children (Overrated IMO but still super good)

The genres for the shoes listed as like all over the place so just be aware of that. If you aren't a mecha fan for example, even the best mecha anime may not be fore you for example. I'm sure I'm forgetting PLENTY of shows but I felt these were some of the standouts that popped into my head. I'm sure others will also say Azumanga Diaoh, Hajime no Ippo and Planetes but I personally liked those shows a lot less than most other people.

fertygo

*snips*
All that out of the way, I also experienced for the first time "fan service" in Anime. Well, actually Space Dandy last week had a lot of that. But since I've stuck strictly to Anime film, I haven't really seen it that much. But I saw this Anime called "Highschool of the Dead". It was completely by accident, but after I saw the first episode, I decided to just watch the rest of the short 12 episodes. I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, I actually did like elements of the show. I mean, it's a Zombie show. Zombies + over the top violence is always fun. Some of the characters were actually pretty cool too. But my god, the fan service was so...I don't even know lmao. Keep in mind, I'm totally new to Anime. Only started watching this year, and I haven't seen any anime TV shows in my life (Except Cowboy Beebop, which my brother made me watch years ago). I guess I'm not opposed to fan service if it's done in a jokey manner. Like they are making fun of it. But yeah, I can't say I cared much for it in this show.

Is this considered a crappy show? Is fan service like that in most Anime TV shows? I guess I kind of struggle with it, because I come from a family with a lot of women in it. And I've always been raised with semi-feminist values etc. It's kind of a touchy subject I suppose, because I don't want to judge another culture. And at least for me, I'm also more lenient when it comes to art vs. real life. But yeah, I dunno.

There's usually two side of pole in Anime, show that intended for the hardcore that called as "otaku" in japan and show for general audience.

Those otaku anime usually the one that have more outrageous plot like in JRPG, and "fanservice" also "moe" element.. and usually the most popular show and the majority product come from this category.

Western casual audience usually looking down to those otaku show and liking anime that intended for broad audience like Ghibli movie and other show that not focused to element that those otaku show have (although that explanation maybe not exactly correct because most of anime airing in midnight japanese time so the definition for "otaku anime" rather vague regardless of their content)

I think you will know better what I mean with just looking for some title.

For Otaku-ish anime you can try to look into.

Code Geass : Lelouch of rebellion
Steins; Gate
K-ON
Tengen Toppa Gurren Laggan
Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi

Those are usually the most popular title among anime-fan, and could explain what anime usually offer for most of the time.

For the non typical otaku anime that usually overlooked, its kind of show that make western fan spite japan because they rarely made it.

Mushi-Shi
Hyouka
Paranoia Agent
Mononoke

Maybe you'd know which side that you prefer after watching some of those show.

Log Horizon Episode 15

Hearing Rudy and Tohya laugh was funny, especially when they werent still in the image as well. Their team is really keeping this anime going for me, strategist minori, tank Tohya, magician Rudy, finally it feels unique and exciting.

Souryou was entertaining too, hope he can lead the combat forces and not just be on defence.

Sekai Seifuku 1

Well... I guess that wasn't what I expected from little info I've recieved about it. There's a... colorful cast to say the least.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Recently, My Sister is Unusual - 02

HUOpUQl.png

:sdburton

I know I shouldn't be watching this, but I just can't help myself. :(

cajunator

Banned
Keep reading like I did and this'll happen to you too!

It's not fun needing to move from place to place as a poltergeist, haunting people's computers!

...okay, might be kinda fun during Halloween when people are more paranoid, but still.

It just looks like the happiest squeest thing ever.

Crocodile

Huh. I decided to check it out because the premise sounded super silly and the character designs screamed "LOL Anime" like few others can. This was actually very enjoyable. Kate is both adorable and endearing. Unlike 95% of other anime loli's shes didn't want to make be either punch my computer screen or piece my ear drums with a sharp object. Main dude was pretty cool too; goofy and a bit out of place but not an ounce of "whine" in him. Overall, its the kooky cast of characters that are the selling point and so far I'm sold. If the premise outlined in the opening scene actually comes to pass then this will be a VERY interesting show :)

Huh. I decided to check it out because the premise sounded super silly and the character designs screamed "LOL Anime" like few others can. This was actually very enjoyable. Kate is both adorable and endearing. Unlike 95% of other anime loli's shes didn't want to make be either punch my computer screen or piece my ear drums with a sharp object. Main dude was pretty cool too; goofy and a bit out of place but not an ounce of "whine" in him. Overall, its the kooky cast of characters that are the selling point and so far I'm sold. If the premise outlined in the opening scene actually comes to pass then this will be a VERY interesting show :)

Indeed, the loli did not remind me of Ugly, so it's one less reason for me to shake my fist at her.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 19

Bath and backstory episode. I'm pretty sure that those beer cans constitute copyright infringement, unless they discretely misspelled Heineken and Budweiser without me noticing. Well anyway, Melissa's still the best.

Also I don't get the idea of using the same song for the OP but replacing the lyrics. Just use a new song if you want new lyrics. Or use the old song over the new OP.

Melissa is Best Girl hands down. I think the cans are discreetly misspelled, I don't remember. Are you watching this dubbed or subbed? There's a point in the dub where Melissa speaks in Chinese and I think that was the only time I ever didn't like the dub. Other than that, I can't watch FMP any way but dubbed now. Luci Christian IS Chidori for me, haha. Well, that and Ms. Yukari.

One of the weird things is, though, that while in the anime the "How Melissa met Sousuke and Kurz" arc is explained here, in the manga it isn't for a very, very long time that they explain how they met. I think I like the anime's way of doing it better, though, because in the manga they do this flashback more or less alongside another, and keeping them separate prevents narrative fatigue.

I'm rambling.

LordCanti

Recently, My Sister is Unusual - 02

I know I shouldn't be watching this, but I just can't help myself. :(

I scrubbed through just to see if she'd have to
piss really bad again this episode
and...sure enough.

They're really aiming for a specific fetish. Too bad I don't have it.

Bombless

Melissa is Best Girl hands down. I think the cans are discreetly misspelled, I don't remember. Are you watching this dubbed or subbed? There's a point in the dub where Melissa speaks in Chinese and I think that was the only time I ever didn't like the dub. Other than that, I can't watch FMP any way but dubbed now. Luci Christian IS Chidori for me, haha. Well, that and Ms. Yukari.

One of the weird things is, though, that while in the anime the "How Melissa met Sousuke and Kurz" arc is explained here, in the manga it isn't for a very, very long time that they explain how they met. I think I like the anime's way of doing it better, though, because in the manga they do this flashback more or less alongside another, and keeping them separate prevents narrative fatigue.

I'm rambling.

I'll have to hear how
Pony
-san sounds in the dub.

Edit : Also, my vote also goes for Best Girl Melissa.

World Conquest Zvezda Plot Episode 1
tumblr_mz95rd43wd1rf9trko1_500.png
tumblr_mz95rd43wd1rf9trko2_500.png

What an odd comment on Lincoln. It had some slow moments but was overall surprisingly entertaining. (though its hard to tell if the z is silent or not).

Soundtrack felt inspired from Day Break Illusion multiple times with some songs seeming like they would fit that world and simultaneously this world too even though some of the context is different. Lots of good songs around and at times rivaled the quality of the action and intensity.

Yasu's comedy moments were way too funny.

Nisekoi 1

So that was good. Probably the best it could have been. Now, I've read enough of the manga to know it goes precisely nowhere and SHAFT have basically nothing to work with going forward, but I enjoyed this episode. I'll keep watching 'til it inevitably bores my face off, I guess?

Also, Shu's voice triggered some PTSD-esque desire for him to die because I could only hear Q-Vier. I'm sure that'll pass.

So the Pre-Order for AnimeLimited's TTGL Ultimate Edition BD is up on Amazon.co.uk
It's going for 85GBP as of this writing from the 150GBP RRP. Very good!
They are only making 2000 of these with no re-prints so I'd pre-order stat especially for the price.

You're a hero, I would totally have missed this. Now if Amazon would list Garden of Words that'd be great, since it comes out in a month and not in June :p

Higurashi no Naku
Steins;Gate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom