• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 22

ibqjzq5Zh5qRsY.jpg
ibhHFMPIktqhks.jpg

Okita just narrating what happened at the beginning felt oddly lazy for this show, but whatever. Got Escaflowne vibes from the flashback with Desler and the witch. LOL at the scene with Melda and ice cream.
Desler is confirmed to be a hoverhander, too. No wonder he keeps taking Ls.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kuroko's Basketball - 1

I thought this show was going to be silly. It's actually not that bad.

LordCanti

felt good

The Dark Lord Sauron, I mean Old Man Winter, Manning will bring the pain, even if Lord Brady doesn't.

Macross 29

She's still with Kaifun. Fucking 2 years and she's still with him. OH AND SHE NOW HAS FEELINGS FOR HIKARU. BITCH. YOU DUMPED HIM. TWO YEARS AGO.
ON THE DAY THE WORLD WAS BURNED TO ASH.
And because Hikaru is a piece of shit he will jump into her arms and ignore Misa.

WHY HAS MISA WAITED THIS LONG FOR HIKARU'S SORRY ASS? WHY DID THIS LOVE TRIANGLE OUTLAST THE
PLANET EARTH
!?

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I TOLD YOU SHE WAS THE WORST!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Macross 29

She's still with Kaifun. Fucking 2 years and she's still with him. OH AND SHE NOW HAS FEELINGS FOR HIKARU. BITCH. YOU DUMPED HIM. TWO YEARS AGO.
And because Hikaru is a piece of shit he will jump into her arms and ignore Misa.

WHY HAS MISA WAITED THIS LONG FOR HIKARU'S SORRY ASS? WHY DID THIS LOVE TRIANGLE OUTLAST THE
PLANET EARTH
!?

Yeah. She really is the worst.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Macross 29

PLANET EARTH
!?

Keep going corvo

Fanservice X Fanservice - The Phantom Rouge.

Wow. This was about as much as a Hunter X Hunter movie as Paper Mario: Sticker Star was a Paper Mario game. So is to say, not at all. I mean, it's like they realized that they couldn't fit in a good storyline for a 90 minute movie, so they decided to stuff it up with as much fanservice as possible.

Now, I'm usually okay with fanservice, but good lord they went overboard with this crap!

-Look guys! Uvogin is back and he's fighting against Gon and Killua!
-Look Look! Hisoka's fighting alongside the four main characters!
-Look! A :dtl moment with Gon and Killua and they both fight Illumi together!
-Look! A moe loli character!
-Look! The Phantom Troupe comes to save the day!

LOVE ME. PLEASE LOVE MEEEEEEEEEE. Is all this movie screams. These are all things that I'd expect to see in a Hunter X Hunter fanfiction written by a 13-year old! And as someone who likes good fanfiction written by good fanfic writers myself, that's pretty damn disgraceful. It wasn't unbearable, per say, but it was waaaay too distracting for me to actually care about the story it was telling. And I don't think the movie cared either.

The fact that
the girl was a doll was so painfully obvious it was like they didn't try.

Yeah, we got to see Kurapika chapters animated, but they left out
the really gruesome details of the last page in that manga that showed how terrible and evil the Phantom Troupe was. We only got that last line of dialogue from it.

This is Hunter X Hunter in name only. Little to nothing that made the TV series good can be found here, and after seeing this, I don't have much hope for the Last Mission being any good. I really don't see how they can fit in what makes Hunter X Hunter good within a 2 hour running time. That’s pretty much an unavoidable problem with this franchise. It just goes to show that phoning it in with fanservice is not a good solution to this kind of problem.

5/10. For a really half-assed effort for what I think is 10/10 anime.

CorvoSol

I TOLD YOU SHE WAS THE WORST!

I mean come on! She dumped him! TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO. ON THE DAY
THE WORLD ENDED.
FOR HER COUSIN.

But now she wants back in his life and there goes any hope Misa has of getting laid this season. Not that she should keep pursuing a shitbag like Hikaru who doesn't appreciate her at all. Misa should dump his sorry ass and move on to the last real Man on Earth: His Royal Stacheness Captain Global.

Yeah. She really is the worst.

I feel like saying she's the worst girl isn't enough to really convey how fucking terrible Lynn Minmay is. Every time you think she's finally going to become a good person she fucking ruins everything. I mean last episode she finally has it in her to ditch Kaifun's sorry, slimy ass, and this episode, a full year later, its like that NEVER happened.

Keep going corvo

As Sysiphus rolls that boulder up the hill, do you think the Gods goad him, too?

Nisekoi 1
Shaft animated this pretty damn well. Adaptation of the plot was decent considering how the plot isn't very good in the first place

foxuzamaki

I mean come on! She dumped him! TWO FUCKING YEARS AGO. ON THE DAY
THE WORLD ENDED.
FOR HER COUSIN.

But now she wants back in his life and there goes any hope Misa has of getting laid this season. Not that she should keep pursuing a shitbag like Hikaru who doesn't appreciate her at all. Misa should dump his sorry ass and move on to the last real Man on Earth: His Royal Stacheness Captain Global.

I feel like saying she's the worst girl isn't enough to really convey how fucking terrible Lynn Minmay is. Every time you think she's finally going to become a good person she fucking ruins everything. I mean last episode she finally has it in her to ditch Kaifun's sorry, slimy ass, and this episode, a full year later, its like that NEVER happened.

As Sysiphus rolls that boulder up the hill, do you think the Gods goad him, too?

now pointing out the cousin thing, that is actually a culture thing in japan, its ok to even marry your cousin in japan, bu yea, minmay is the worse, and yes, they goad him twice as much

CorvoSol

now pointing out the cousin thing, that is actually a culture thing in japan, its ok to even marry your cousin in japan, bu yea, minmay is the worse, and yes, they goad him twice as much

Minmay isn't even Japanese. She's Chinese. There's supposedly like, over a billion people in China. And they still can't find anyone better to fuck than their cousins?

I've known people who dated or were pursued by their cousins in Brazil. Still icky.

There were 500k civilians on the Macross, plus the hilariously large number of bright young men in the military. The ship was basically "suitors for Minmay on a single boat" and she STILL picked her cousin.

DokiDoki Precure 47

Talking and Hugging solves everything.

Bel, I love you, you literally blamed people being in danger for being the reason why the Kingdom died. I love you so much. Not really, but I do like you.

However, FUCK YOU MANA
Bullshit! I SAVED PEOPLE! I KEIKAKU DOORI'D YOUR ASS BY HAVING THEM SAFEGUARD THEIR HEARTS SO THEY WONT BECOME SELFISH. Fucking damn it.

I want to see context on what Rikka and Ira were talking about.

Oh, and Sword and Diamond's kill count surged like fuck. They may be on par or even above Cure Heart's kill count now.

lol Rosetta.

NEXT TIME, King Selfish vs Cures.
And everyone's identity is revealed

Midonin

Doki Doki! Precure 47

I do love Precure endgames. That's when the bounds of stock footage finally come loose and the heroes get a chance to use more of the budget. Though ChernaKing is so big and hefty that he can't really move, which is surely easier on the animators. Regina's back to normal, and more or less in sync with Aguri. Makes me wonder if they will choose to reunite into the Queen again, or remain as separate begins for the purposes of teamups in the future.

Seeing lots of minor characters again was a nice surprise too. The show hasn't had a lot of minor characters, but the ones that did appear, including Eru and Reina, made some appearances here. Not bad. Though from what I'm seeing of Happiness Charge, I'm looking forward to that.

Doki Doki! Precure 47

I do love Precure endgames. That's when the bounds of stock footage finally come loose and the heroes get a chance to use more of the budget. Though ChernaKing is so big and hefty that he can't really move, which is surely easier on the animators. Regina's back to normal, and more or less in sync with Aguri. Makes me wonder if they will choose to reunite into the Queen again, or remain as separate begins for the purposes of teamups in the future.

Seeing lots of minor characters again was a nice surprise too. The show hasn't had a lot of minor characters, but the ones that did appear, including Eru and Reina, made some appearances here. Not bad. Though from what I'm seeing of Happiness Charge, I'm looking forward to that.

Well remaining seperate
Or at least, find a way to have all three ala Max Heart
is in the books because crossovers.

considering they're on Earth though, I'm not really surprised people came back.

Mature

Macross 29

PLANET EARTH
!?

tumblr_l7gy2fJIot1qa9179o1_400.gif

foxuzamaki

Kuroko no Basket S2 14

Opening: Good, but just like Yowamushi Pedal, its not as blood pumping as the first one.
Ending: Best one yet. Would actually serve better as the Opening.

They made Kuroko's Ignite Pass Kai look so cool.

Sad we won't be seeing that much after this episode.

Anime is really trying to make Aomine look more eviler than in the Manga.

LOL I cant take that gif seriously, hajime no ippo can get away with it but I cant see it with basketball

Bombless

Macross 29

PLANET EARTH
!?

IT BEGINS!

Eh... I wouldn't really go that far. There would be no point.
I don't know, panty shots vs. nude scenes? I think there are probably plenty of animes and mangas which have more nude scenes than pantyshots, which suggests that the two are put on a pretty similar level as far as fanservice goes...

I mean, I guess panties are fanservice-y, but it's starting to become clear to me that it's not really doing much for me.
I don't get it either, but Japanese audiences seem to disagree on the issue of pantyshots, I think.

The classy censorship though.... was probably more enjoyable. Probably helps that classy isn't the standard in terms of fanservice.
You do see it sometimes, but sure, it's probably not the most common type. And as Sakura Trick showed it can work well.

It's one-sided to begin with. The one girl is just sort of rolling with her friend suddenly wanting to kiss her at every opportunity.

I don't dismiss any possibility of character development, but considering that this first episode is preoccupied almost exclusively with the physical dimension of the relationship and, furthermore, that the relationship is depicted in a pretty exploitative way, I have a hard time believing that this story intends to explore the psychology, social implications, etc. of the characters' lesbianism in any satisfying capacity. The initial characterization doesn't even particularly differentiate anyone from each other and the ensemble, mains included, feels perfectly interchangeable with any number of manufactured bottom-feeder CGDCT casts.
... Once again, why in the world would you expect any of that from an anime like this, aimed at the audience it is, airing when it does? That's kind of absurd... and anyway, it's good at what it does, and that's fine. Something like what you describe would be great too, but not everything needs that level of serious stuff in it, no way.

Also, they're definitely stereotypes, but this show is a bit different -- sure, lots of shows have some yuribait, but this much kissing is quite uncommon!

Well, it's like yaoi/shounen-ai where the texts live in a bubble where this particular relationship is the most important thing in the world and the concerns about the real world aren't really addressed in any meaningful way.

Not that high school yuri gets all that complicated, but pages like this seem to be the big concern for most of those types of stories.
I'm not sure what you mean here... but school animes usually focus very narrowly on school. It is kind of silly, but it's how it works.

The flip side is that you have something like Aoi Hana, which just delays the inevitable by not having the characters around at all. To the point where they have to be mashed together because the book ended unexpectedly.

I'd watch an Ohana Holoholo, considering that Bunny Drop got made. But I'm not sure if women would be interested in watching a show about alternate family arrangements that doesn't involve a cute guy as the lead.

Sure, it's why I can't be too disappointed. But the arc from Aoi Hana to where we are now is kind of silly to watch.

At least on the yaoi side, there was that 2 seasons of World's First Love. :p
But yaoi has its own set of problems, really.
I haven't read/watched any of the shows you mention here (other than this one), so yeah, I can't say much about that...

Oh my god:
sOJMc0fl.jpg

qk80nXCl.jpg

Honestly, I expected the episode to end with the main girl taking a bath and reflecting on the day's events, because this was basically Hidamari in all but name. The pacing and the transitions between shots, combined with the first person narration and the 6 paired girls... all it was missing was the wideface.

SfPt3n9l.jpg

And yeah, the weird thing is that there is no subtext, and I'm not sure how I feel about that specifically. I remember when I read this chapter way back when and I was a bit surprised that they mashed lips, but I had no idea where they were going to go from there. But now it sort of falls together. I'm going to assume that this will just be your standard slice of life comedy, but one where Sae and Hiro Yuno and Miyako the two girls from Sakura Trick make out with each other from time to time.

On the one hand, I suppose it's something that all pretence is gone, but on the other hand, it will presumably go nowhere fast.
Not just those two, the other two pairings will surely end up kissing too. And yeah, no subtext is different, but it works.

Also, Hidamari Sketch is another thing I've never watched. Maybe I should try it sometime.

Its not really pretense if everything works the exact same way other than the characters ostensibly being lesbian.
Their being lesbian makes it different though. Sure, it's not otherwise, that is true.

Well, instead of fingersex and longing looks, they can actually just make out I suppose.

What I don't get is why they even bothered making it a co-ed school, since I can't imagine guys ever being a factor.
Yeah, who knows... but why not, it hasn't had any negative effects so far. Girls don't have to go to a girls' only school to like eachother after all.

Novelty isn't quite the word I would use for it, unless yuri and yaoi anime are really that rare.
It is indeed pretty rare to have it actually get beyond subtext, yes.

No melodrama level plot here,but it's clearly not "nothing but kissing"

Seriously it's a show for fun,why need melodrama,you guys want another C3-bu:the line?
C3-bu got way too serious, I'd rather watch this. It was interesting that they did something like that, though.

A big problem is the yuri kissing is getting trumped up to the nth degree because a) this is the first show in a fair number of years to go ditch subtext and b) that is really all this show seems to have, so lacking in substance and reveling in vapidity that all it has is the girls love marketing gimmick.
You're being way too cynical. It's a good fun show which does something which has almost never been done, and runs with it. There's not much to complain about unless you think that all animes should be serious and realistic, but that wouldn't be interesting... and anyway, having actual relationships, even on this level, is a step past subtext-only. So no, you are wrong.

YuruYuri does have rape jokes. Sakura Trick is just an inoffensive show about something so trivial as kissing.

It's okay if people don't like it but all the hate here is just absurd.
YuruYuri has incest jokes too. It's usually a good series, but sometimes not, as in those two cases. I hope Sakura Trick doesn't have any of that stupid junk in it. Inoffensive is better... but it is interesting to see the strong reaction against it. Where is this reaction with the other 99% of stupid animes out there? Virtually no animes are actually thoughtful or deep in serious ways, after all!

I'm seriously confused on what the people who hated Sakura Trick were actually expecting out of the show.

I was expecting a SoL with cute girls and a ton of kissing, and that exactly what I got. And it was glorious.
Yeah, the complaints make no sense. It was what it was going to be, and it is great!

Yuri and girls kissing cutely. Isnt that the draw? What other reason must it exist for?
Nothing. Nothing at all. It's great just as it is.

LordCanti

imo cho 2

really curious about bluray sales for this.

Just realized she was going to piss into that pot :p

I think the BR sales will be in the toilet.

Well that looks really impressive. Always been curious about this series. Is this one genuinely good? Is it also a recommended entry point for newcomers or should I check the older iterations?

2199 is a reboot/retelling, so just watch it.

sonicmj1

Well that looks really impressive. Always been curious about this series. Is this one genuinely good? Is it also a recommended entry point for newcomers or should I check the older iterations?

It's genuinely good, and it requires no prior series knowledge to get started. You should definitely pick it up.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 29

Meanwhile, in better mecha shows, Amuro meets Matilda's fiance, apologizes to the guy for failing to save his fiance, only to get a verbal smackdown in "don't think so highly of yourself." Char Aznable is back in the game, by the way, and he is fucking glorious. Dude finds Jaburo without any problems, and with like, six MSes begins to wreak some serious havoc. No wonder they used to fear him. There are few Gundam villains as competent and threatening as Char. By which I mean MSG Char, because post MSG Char and Amuro's characters go right down the toilet.

The animation in this episode is actually really spectacular. The fight between the Gundam and Char's custom Z'Gok is really neat, and the Gundam pulls off some cool moves, like wall-kicks and stuff.

Jarmel

Banned
World Conquest-1

I don't know what to make of this. It does seem well directed and the idea itself is somewhat interesting but the execution of plot concepts is somewhat shitty.

Mobile Suit Gundam 29

Meanwhile, in better mecha shows, Amuro meets Matilda's fiance, apologizes to the guy for failing to save his fiance, only to get a verbal smackdown in "don't think so highly of yourself." Char Aznable is back in the game, by the way, and he is fucking glorious. Dude finds Jaburo without any problems, and with like, six MSes begins to wreak some serious havoc. No wonder they used to fear him. There are few Gundam villains as competent and threatening as Char. By which I mean MSG Char, because post MSG Char and Amuro's characters go right down the toilet.

Despite not being as good as MSG Char, Zeta Char is pretty good. Same can't be said for CC Char though. I hate what they did to him in that film.

Jarmel

Banned
HAHAHAHA

So I decided to look up the staff list for World Conquest, and of course the Darker than Black director,Tensai Okamura, did this. Of fucking course. It all makes sense now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom