• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

KVZ3irM.gif

Hello anime-gaf,

I'm new but kinda old to this community. I was brought here by darkside and staying around thanks to cajun (for now).

So as my greeting I ask if there is any series you wish for me to start off with as my initiation?

And just before you say it yes I have watched School Days so don't bother, but I will watch whatever you guys want me to whether terrible or good.

I'll only kibosh watching something if I've seen it already.

Mawaru Penguindrum would be a great choice.

Hello anime-gaf,

I'm new but kinda old to this community. I was brought here by darkside and staying around thanks to cajun (for now).

So as my greeting I ask if there is any series you wish for me to start off with as my initiation?

And just before you say it yes I have watched School Days so don't bother, but I will watch whatever you guys want me to whether terrible or good.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anohana-the-flower-we-saw-that-day because the movie comes out next week and you can support Aniplex and watch the movie in theaters =)

What genre do you like?

No matter what the answer is: Attack on Titan http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

For romance drama: White Album 2, Rumbling Hearts
For Romance Comedy: Toradora, Waiting in the Summer (especially if you've seen the Onegai series), Love Hina, and Golden Time.
For Comedy: Oreimo
For Action/adventure: Fullmetal Alchemist, then Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

*Anohana, Toradora, and Waiting in the Summer are directed by the same person.

CorvoSol

It is indeed, though I admit the sheer pervasiveness of all the thread pimping did hurt it, somewhat. I'd already long since finished Hyouka before all the hyperbole kicked in, but I imagine it was much the same. You can see it giving people the incentive to watch it, simply with the mindset of "I'm going to watch it and then tell them how much it sucks!"

Well that settles it then. Show dropped. Not even gonna bother with this Hyouka thing anymore.

CorvoSol

You know what you must do now.

Bring on the ballet!
Please?

I had promised to pick up Kino's journey, but I don't know yet that that's what I want. I need to take a good long look at what I've got and see if I can't think up something great. I also need to see VOTOMs, but I'm watching so much classic mecha that the idea was to get something else to cleanse the palette.

Syrinx

Hello anime-gaf,

Hey it's Kave_Man.

Off the top of my head I think of Revolutionary Girl Utena (don't know about it as an initiation though), Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, and Kino's Journey (haven't finished it though)

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hello anime-gaf,

Hey there Kave! Hope you enjoy it here. Most of the people are nice folks.

I think what Mockingbird says makes the most sense. Its hard to really recommend a show unless you know what types of shows people like. Anime is just a medium so there are shows in every genre aimed at all kinds of different folks.

I would never recommend OreImo though. Don't watch that. I'd recommend something more fun to watch, try something like Baccano or Gurren Lagann.

cajunator

Banned
Hey it's Kave_Man.

Off the top of my head I think of Revolutionary Girl Utena (don't know about it as an initiation though), Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Steins;Gate, and Kino's Journey (haven't finished it though)

Where'd you leave off on Kinos Journey?

cnet128

Banned
ImoCho 2

Notable lewdnesses of this episode:
imouto gets seen by her brother bending over with no pantsu on. We get to see piss actually dripping down imouto's legs. Ghost girl gets in bath with imouto and voraciously molests her again.

And now imouto is literally
trapped naked in the bathroom
with her brother. Oh, boy. All in a day's work for this show!

cajunator

Banned
I'm through 7 episodes now.

Some great episodes ahead.

ImoCho 2

Notable lewdnesses of this episode:
imouto gets seen by her brother bending over with no pantsu on. We get to see piss actually dripping down imouto's legs. Ghost girl gets in bath with imouto and voraciously molests her again.

And now imouto is literally
trapped naked in the bathroom
with her brother. Oh, boy. All in a day's work for this show!

So its about as expected then.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Golden Time 5

Well I get why people don't like it but I don't mind it too much. For all the possible
supernatural twists
this one doesn't bother me as much as other ones.

I hope the execution of this is better though than a certain Romance anime from 2012 that included something similar with the
two different sets of memories with 1 person

I will say though that this really just makes
Linda
look really bad. Definitely am interested in her rationale as to why she did what she did, or more accurately what she didn't do.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I guess I should say I'm not a newb to anime. I've been watching for as long as I can remember, I just haven't watched as many as I used to but with that said...

The Big O

Seen it!

Yamato 2199

I remember seeing something about this or something like it long ago, interested.

Hi there!

Clannad + Clannad: After Story impressions are always fun to read.

Is this the "uguu" one?

Precure
Ojamajo Doremi

I've watched bits of pieces of different Precure series but never this Ojamajo Doremi.

Madoka Magica?

Seen it, absolutely loved it, so dark, so wow.

Strike Witches.

Never heard of this.

Steins; Gate

I've seen the name before, so will try it out.

Mawaru Penguindrum would be a great choice.

Oh this is the one with those cute blue penguins? I will definitely see this.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anohana-the-flower-we-saw-that-day because the movie comes out next week and you can support Aniplex and watch the movie in theaters =)

What genre do you like?

No matter what the answer is: Attack on Titan http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan

For romance drama: White Album 2, Rumbling Hearts
For Romance Comedy: Toradora, Waiting in the Summer (especially if you've seen the Onegai series), Love Hina, and Golden Time.
For Comedy: Oreimo
For Action/adventure: Fullmetal Alchemist, then Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

*Anohana, Toradora, and Waiting in the Summer are directed by the same person.

Seen Anohana for some reason as I watched my eyes kept watering, not sure why though cause I'M A MAN! But fantastic series.

Toradora started off as a random watch and ended as one of my fave series I've ever watched. I had the same problem I did with Anohana, my eyes just kept watering.

Hey it's Kave_Man.

Gurren Lagann of course I've seen, so manly, so awesome. I was spoiled by GAF on Kamina because of their speculations but so worth it.

Okay so based on these I'll go with the series I know nothing about:

1. Strike Witches
2. Stein Gates
3. Clannad
4. Penguindrum
5. Ojamayo Doremi
6. Yamato 2199

Alright I'll start with Strike Witches.

Is this the "uguu" one?

No. Kanon is the uguu one.

Seen Anohana for some reason as I watched my eyes kept watering, not sure why though cause I'M A MAN! But fantastic series.

Toradora started off as a random watch and ended as one of my fave series I've ever watched. I had the same problem I did with Anohana, my eyes just kept watering.

Yeah, I really think you should watch Clannad + Clannad: After Story.

I can recommend Kanon too though. If you want to watch that too, then you should maybe watch Kanon first.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time 5

Well I get why people don't like it but I don't mind it too much. For all the possible
supernatural twists
this one doesn't bother me as much as other ones.

I hope the execution of this is better though than a certain Romance anime from 2012 that included something similar with the
two different sets of memories with 1 person

I will say though that this really just makes
Linda
look really bad. Definitely am interested in her rationale as to why she did what she did, or more accurately what she didn't do.

Its possible that it might not bother you then but be forewwarned the introduced element gets VERY AGGRAVATING. Also Linda is indecisive and terrible sometimes. Its very messy. But that makes it interesting.

Oh, by the way. I decided to be a part of the K-On! thread.
It's been fun.

*bounces

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kave seriously don't watch Strike Witches.

Steins;Gate and Clannad are good recommendations. I still haven't watched Yamato myself but everybody seems to love it so its seems like a good choice.

Syrinx

If Strike Witches is really what he watches first, I have a feeling we'll never see Kave_Man again. Which would suck, because Kave_Man is awesome.

Watch Steins;Gate, Kave.

Then I highly recommend Waiting in the Summer (Ano Natsu de Matteru): http://www.crunchyroll.com/ano-natsu-de-matteru

Like I mentioned before, Toradora and Anohana were directed by the same person -- Tatsuyuki Nagai -- and he directed Waiting in the Summer as well. It's only 12 episodes. All the Nagai shows have a really good way of ending episodes. Also, Ano Natsu has the same writer and character designer from the Onegai series, and you'll see references to them here -- even if they're not directly related.

Don't bother with Clannad. It sucks. Unless you love Moe.

Also, I haven't seen Steins;Gate yet but it might be better to wait until next month cause the visual novel gets released in North America. Might be better to play the game first -- which is what I'm doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom