• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
I'd recommend waiting for the JAST release of the Stenis;Gate VN and playing that rather than watching White Fox's ugly mess and instead watch something legit like Hyouka, Flowers of Evil, Yamato 2199, & The Eccentric Family.

cajunator

Banned
I guess I should say I'm not a newb to anime. I've been watching for as long as I can remember, I just haven't watched as many as I used to but with that said...
I remember seeing something about this or something like it long ago,

I've seen the name before, so will try it out.

Oh this is the one with those cute blue penguins? I will definitely see this.

Toradora started off as a random watch and ended as one of my fave series I've ever watched. I had the same problem I did with Anohana, my eyes just kept watering.

Gurren Lagann of course I've seen, so manly, so awesome. I was spoiled by GAF on Kamina because of their speculations but so worth it.

Okay so based on these I'll go with the series I know nothing about:

1. Strike Witches
2. Stein Gates
3. Clannad
4. Penguindrum
5. Ojamayo Doremi
6. Yamato 2199

Alright I'll start with Strike Witches.

Yeah penguindrum has the supercute penguins in it.
Steins;Gate is like the butterfly effect.
Toradora and Anohana are pretty good at causing feels I agree with that.
Im happy youre here Kavey :)

Geneijin

Hello anime-gaf,

I'm new but kinda old to this community. I was brought here by darkside and staying around thanks to cajun (for now).

So as my greeting I ask if there is any series you wish for me to start off with as my initiation?

And just before you say it yes I have watched School Days so don't bother, but I will watch whatever you guys want me to whether terrible or good.

I'll only kibosh watching something if I've seen it already.
Souten Kouro then.

Nisekoi 1

Kbq6Dgm.png

Za Warudo!

It's so weird to see a series like this get shafted up. For that reason, it's better than it has any right to be.

I had promised to pick up Kino's journey, but I don't know yet that that's what I want. I need to take a good long look at what I've got and see if I can't think up something great. I also need to see VOTOMs, but I'm watching so much classic mecha that the idea was to get something else to cleanse the palette.

Trust me, Kino will definitely cleanse the palette.

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE ANIMEGAF

Is Strike Witches really that bad? I remember reading positive impressions of that show.

Somewhere, anyway. Must have been a really dark corner of the internet that i'll never tread again.

Kazzy

Well that settles it then. Show dropped. Not even gonna bother with this Hyouka thing anymore.

The Corvo doth protest too much, methinks! Haha.

You can dislike (or like) it, sure. I sometimes feel that people just don't do that on their own terms (and this extends far beyond Hyouka). I have no problem with negative opinions, just the nature of some of those. Contriving a response, basically.

But I'm talking in generalizations here, not to pick out one anyone (or anything) specifically. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Gazoinks

Nisekoi 1

This is so SHAFT it almost felt like a parody. I was definitely entertained by the way they dressed up this story with their wackiness. The story itself mostly failed to grab me, though. I'll watch a few more and see if it holds my interest.

cajunator

Banned

Is Strike Witches really that bad? I remember reading positive impressions of that show.

Somewhere, anyway. Must have been a really dark corner of the internet that i'll never tread again.

Kino is an excellent palette cleanser. Its not the sort of soul cleansing euphoria that hidamari squee or usagi drop is but its a great series to flush out memories of bad things.

CorvoSol

You think so? I think I might just be burned out on anime, haha. I tried to think of some "good" drama I had seen lately that had no action and was purely character driven, and aside from Flowers of Evil I came up blank.

Maybe I've just exhausted anime as an entertainment medium for me. I don't consider myself one to dislike character driven stories that lack action, but in fairness even most of the action oriented shows I'm watching are kind of dulling me down. I mean, I've seen Gundam before and Tomino is nothing if not a man who cannot grasp the concept of pacing. Getter Robo is a product of an era in which monster of the week was acceptable. Macross is a filthy mess. Golden Laws is drivel if I'm being completely honest. Most everything on The List is drivel. Orphen is okay if I'm in the mood for cliches. I don't think I've ever been as bored watching anime as I have watching Hyouka.

Outside of Paranoia Agent, Gundam Build Fighters, and KLK I'm either in a slump or just now coming to the realization that I don't have good taste and the things people who do have good taste watch are dreadfully boring to me. But frankly, I don't even care much about "taste" and the longer I'm here and the more I see certain posters make it a point to stand on their soapbox and tell everyone how dreadful their taste is, the more revolted I become with things. I'm not innocent of doing it, I guess, but I'm not really looking to make a moral stand here, either.

I think I'm just a bit burned out, heh.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Strike Witches 1

Where the hell are their pants? Why are brooms not broom shaped at all? How do you have technology like that magic broom stuff yet it seems the best technology you have for travelling far distances is a battleship that takes over a month to reach it's destination?

But seriously no pants, they grow cat ears and tails when they use magic.

Oh and the main character hates war but I'm sure she'll somehow become the most powerful war machine ever, war never changes.

But anyways to the person who recommended this:

1366174361901_zpsad3dcbbd.jpg

I'll see how much more of this I can handle, but for now I'll just check out episode 1 of all these series and loop around them. :p

Syrinx

Strike Witches 1

Where the hell are their pants? Why are brooms not broom shaped at all? How do you have technology like that magic broom stuff yet it seems the best technology you have for travelling far distances is a battleship that takes over a month to reach it's destination?

Oh and the main character hates war but I'm sure she'll somehow become the most powerful war machine ever, war never changes.

But anyways to the person who recommended this:

1366174361901_zpsad3dcbbd.jpg

I'll see how much more of this I can handle, but for now I'll just check out episode 1 of all these series and loop around them. :p

Just ignore them and move on to Steins;Gate.

cajunator

Banned
You think so? I think I might just be burned out on anime, haha. I tried to think of some "good" drama I had seen lately that had no action and was purely character driven, and aside from Flowers of Evil I came up blank.

Maybe I've just exhausted anime as an entertainment medium for me. I don't consider myself one to dislike character driven stories that lack action, but in fairness even most of the action oriented shows I'm watching are kind of dulling me down. I mean, I've seen Gundam before and Tomino is nothing if not a man who cannot grasp the concept of pacing. Getter Robo is a product of an era in which monster of the week was acceptable. Macross is a filthy mess. Golden Laws is drivel if I'm being completely honest. Most everything on The List is drivel. Orphen is okay if I'm in the mood for cliches. I don't think I've ever been as bored watching anime as I have watching Hyouka.

Outside of Paranoia Agent, Gundam Build Fighters, and KLK I'm either in a slump or just now coming to the realization that I don't have good taste and the things people who do have good taste watch are dreadfully boring to me. But frankly, I don't even care much about "taste" and the longer I'm here and the more I see certain posters make it a point to stand on their soapbox and tell everyone how dreadful their taste is, the more revolted I become with things. I'm not innocent of doing it, I guess, but I'm not really looking to make a moral stand here, either.

Corvy the great thing about Kino is its an anime that makes you think. Not in a pretentious bullshit way but at a pace and style that really just makes you sit and ponder about life. Its a refreshingly unique series in that regard that doesnt do more than it can handle.
its a pretty special series and one I find absolutely beautiful.

santeesioux

ImoCho 2

Notable lewdnesses of this episode:
imouto gets seen by her brother bending over with no pantsu on. We get to see piss actually dripping down imouto's legs. Ghost girl gets in bath with imouto and voraciously molests her again.

And now imouto is literally
trapped naked in the bathroom
with her brother. Oh, boy. All in a day's work for this show!

Sounds like AOTY type stuff there.

Go! Go! 575 01

B8AU0cAl.jpg

On the plus side, it's 3 minutes.

On the other side, it's about girls wanting to be idols by singing haikus. I seen 3 minutes anime more boring than this at least...

Lurky

Strike Witches 1

You'll find out later about the whole technology/magic thing. As for Steins;gate I don't suggest watching only the first episode. It really sucks you in.

P.S: Pants are overrated.

cnet128

Banned

y u no watch higurashi

Nisekoi 1

Wow, that was Shaft as fuck. Certainly feels weird, like this isn't the Nisekoi I know and love at all. Also still not sure if I can get used to HanaKana as Onodera. With every line she says, my brain is shifting uncomfortably back and forth between "the voice kind of works, it's totally not weird" and "WHY IS THAT VOICE COMING OUT OF ONODERA'S MOUTH THIS IS SO WRONG".

The rest of the voice cast is fine though. Kaji Yuuki's Shuu in particular stood out to me as pretty much perfect. Also the teacher for some reason.

Oh and Shaft, stop making Chitoge look so hawt. I'm not a fan of her character, but I'll be damned if some of those shots of her weren't drop-dead gorgeous. >.>

Seriously this adaptation is messing with my head.

Corvy the great thing about Kino is its an anime that makes you think. Not in a pretentious bullshit way but at a pace and style that really just makes you sit and ponder about life. Its a refreshingly unique series in that regard that doesnt do more than it can handle.
its a pretty special series and one I find absolutely beautiful.

Pretty much this when it comes to Kino. It's really deep and refreshing when it comes to anime.

Corvo, if you're burned out on other anime, then my suggestion (after you've gotten through your mecha shows) would be to try and tackle a 100+ episode shounen. Those always start off slow with their first few episodes, but once you get in, you really get in. The fantasy worlds that Shounens create are often really interesting in what they create and when you realize that there's tons more to come, it really makes you want to keep going.

If you're really looking for something else if your burned out, I'd pick a Shounen once you're finished with everything, and only focus on that show. My top pick would be Hunter X Hunter if you're into a great adventure show, and just focus on that show and nothing else. Watching a 100+ episode shounen alongside a bunch of other anime really doesn't work. I've tried.

That's just my suggestion. I watched Hunter X Hunter by suggestions from other AnimeGAFers and was completely blown away.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond no Ace Episode 14:

Yea, this is certainly a transition into the expected summer training camp from hell, not much else to say really. This was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom