• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazoinks

Space Dandy 2

Good episode! Although there wasn't anything as intensely awesome as the alien planet in the last episode, this one felt a lot more consistently enjoyable. Scarlet also seems like a pretty cool character, and probably the only competent person in the entire show.

Also, woolongs are the currency in this show. Same universe as Bebop confirmed? :p

Thanks for explanation. I dont understand Mmo terminology so it limited my enjoyment of all the mmo based shows. Is there soms kind of MMO for dummies page online that explains stuff? Would help with Log Horizon a bit.
I don't know of any. But I can explain a few terms.

DPS means damage per second.
Tank means a defensive character role. They're focused on drawing the attention and attacks of the enemy.

I'm not that good at MMORPG terminology that much, myself. As I'm a roleplayer and I don't much like ooc terms and talk.

Thanks for explanation. I dont understand Mmo terminology so it limited my enjoyment of all the mmo based shows. Is there soms kind of MMO for dummies page online that explains stuff? Would help with Log Horizon a bit.

Ive seen FMP and Fumoffu. Good shows. Fumoffu I liked more because its comedy but the actual series wasnt boring that I can recall. That was over a decade ago though it seems like.
Tessa is a cutie though I like Chidori more.

lol i do feel like log horizon explains it decently ;)

basic mmo party play, ala modern mmo's 'holy trinity'

you have tanks, damage dealers, healers.

for small parties in games, its usually 1 tank, 2 damage, 1 healer.

tanks tend to have the best defense and shitty offense, damage folks are the opposite, so generally a good tank should try to keep every enemies 'attention' on him while the damage folks pick them away at range or behind. This puts less stress on the healers too because they would only have to focus on 1 guy (and in most mmos, the 'group heal' move tends to generate a ton of threat so its really a last resort).

as shown a few eps ago, a bad tank could accidentally 'aggro' way too many enemies at once so that even if they do keep all the enemies on him, the healer might not be good enough to keep up with the damage done to him.

So general dungeon play in modern mmos, group walks a few steps, see groups of enemies, tank try to grab the attention of as little as possible, drag them back to everyone else, gang bang them, move on to the next group.

CorvoSol

Ive seen FMP and Fumoffu. Good shows. Fumoffu I liked more because its comedy but the actual series wasnt boring that I can recall. That was over a decade ago though it seems like.
Tessa is a cutie though I like Chidori more.

Have you seen The Second Raid yet? That's important.

I feel like I'm a roleplayer among roleplayers. Perhaps a "hardcore" roleplayer.
Most people are only in character occasionally. And for the rest of the times are speaking in an out of character chatty fashion.

But for me, immersion is very important. And I'm pretty much in character all of the time.
I wish I could meet more people who feel like that. It seems like most people I meet, only want to talk in character maybe an hour a day.

I don't know why I stopped playing Tera. This discussion is making me miss it. I had all Regent and Queen's Wrath equipment. And an Abyss weapon. Which was pretty good for my server. By now, though, I bet almost everyone on my server will have had Visionmaker gear at +12. And I'll have fallen far behind.

I was a Berserker so that made me a DPS.

Mortemis

Banned
Kuroko no Basuke S2 14

Aww yiss, the match is in full swing. Damn, Aomine really pissed me off, hope Kuroko and Kagami and bring his ego back to earth. It seems impossible though. Next week needs to hurry up.

Nisekoi 01

Nice job Shaft, really enjoyed this episode. It made me miss the beginning of the manga. Honestly, I half hope they diverge from the manga and make a coherent anime only ending. I kinda don't doubt Shaft's ability to do that either.
The manga has been SOL filler for a long time now, the only thing I'd want them to add from the recent chapters is the amnesia arc and maybe Mari's lesbo friend.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
World Conquest 1

Not outstanding, but competent. This is going to have to up its camp game to have any hope of being entertaining. I'm concerned that the prologue dooms the show to an eventual and permanent shift in tone, and even disregarding the foreshadowing the fact that this is apparently an actual military struggle and not just some Excel Saga-esque band of delusional LARPer vagrants concerns me. I don't think that this is something that can successfully balance two very different tones. Conquest's premise could easily be straight out of a terrible LN and the protagonist is birthed fresh and slimy from Japan's LCL tank full of teenage male protag clones, so it will live or die by writing and execution. Episode two will tell the real tale because "funny" shows that are also narrative-heavy typically have unrepresentative first episodes due to their introductory nature.

Gazoinks

Nisekoi 01

Nice job Shaft, really enjoyed this episode. It made me miss the beginning of the manga. Honestly, I half hope they diverge from the manga and make a coherent anime only ending. I kinda don't doubt Shaft's ability to do that either.
The manga has been SOL filler for a long time now, the only thing I'd want them to add from the recent chapters is the amnesia arc and maybe Mari's lesbo friend.

Am-amnesia arc? Please god no.

cajunator

Banned
Yep! After watching episode 7 even coming around on Linda.

I really love the pacing of this show. It's not unbearably slow trodding that typically fills this genre, its like the polar opposite of shows like Toradora and Honey and Clover which is pretty refreshing although I do wonder how they stretch this out for 24 episodes given the really frenetic pace stuff moves at.

Nice. Ive enjoyed it quite a lot except for Banri.
Hes just....aaaaaarrrrrgggghhhlllefuckkkkkk

CorvoSol

Macross 34

iXt3mTiyd9P8g.gif

i'm sure the loli lore was very deep
I hope that you were just having fun, and that wasn't a slight against me, Tera, the lore in Tera, or the Elin.

The lore in Tera is pretty well respected. And all of the races have an evenly and well developed lore. Though the focus on gods and some other aspects of the lore in Tera isn't personally to my tastes. And I personally prefer the lore in Final Fantasy XIV.

Sekai Seifuku Bouryaku no Zvevzda 01

TPwYFT5l.jpg

Of course, the first conquers were barely dressed females. That's why all those before them failed terrible.

The talking, the exposition, the whatever else was in the first 15 mins or something was pretty boring. When there was some action was kinda interesting. I mean if this show keeps up the conquest action part, I'll be ok with watching it. Not so much the protag with the ugly hair screaming at the loli.

chuun s2 1

that ED is kinda lewd. show seems ok. ok.

You know, are there any sorta actiony shows this season that doesn't have magic circles?

think of the buddies shows and one of the nobugana shows.

survivor

Banned
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 8

Probably the weakest episode so far. With almost no fighting, there really isn't anything else to enjoy. Heck there wasn't anything even relevant to the story outside of the meeting with the elders. It's understandable to have a little downtime after a major conflict resolution, but the writing in Yozakura Quartet is just average and when there are no action scenes to carry the show, the weakness of writing becomes more apparent.

I do hope these 4 demon hunters they mentioned all make an appearance before the end of the show and don't get pushed to the DVDs specials or a theoretical second season. Cause going by the OP, there are only 2 other potential antagonists along with Enjin so that has me worried.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know of any. But I can explain a few terms.

DPS means damage per second.
Tank means a defensive character role. They're focused on drawing the attention and attacks of the enemy.

I'm not that good at MMORPG terminology that much, myself. As I'm a roleplayer and I don't much like ooc terms and talk.

lol i do feel like log horizon explains it decently ;)

basic mmo party play, ala modern mmo's 'holy trinity'

you have tanks, damage dealers, healers.

for small parties in games, its usually 1 tank, 2 damage, 1 healer.

tanks tend to have the best defense and shitty offense, damage folks are the opposite, so generally a good tank should try to keep every enemies 'attention' on him while the damage folks pick them away at range or behind. This puts less stress on the healers too because they would only have to focus on 1 guy (and in most mmos, the 'group heal' move tends to generate a ton of threat so its really a last resort).

as shown a few eps ago, a bad tank could accidentally 'aggro' way too many enemies at once so that even if they do keep all the enemies on him, the healer might not be good enough to keep up with the damage done to him.

So general dungeon play in modern mmos, group walks a few steps, see groups of enemies, tank try to grab the attention of as little as possible, drag them back to everyone else, gang bang them, move on to the next group.

Appreciated both of you for explaining.
mmo's just never appealed to me. So much point and clicking and item managing and terminology. Im so confused by it.

Milamber

Probably the weakest episode so far. With almost no fighting, there really isn't anything else to enjoy. Heck there wasn't anything even relevant to the story outside of the meeting with the elders. It's understandable to have a little downtime after a major conflict resolution, but the writing in Yozakura Quartet is just average and when there are no action scenes to carry the show, the weakness of writing becomes more apparent.

I do hope these 4 demon hunters they mentioned all make an appearance before the end of the show and don't get pushed to the DVDs specials or a theoretical second season. Cause going by the OP, there are only 2 other potential antagonists along with Enjin so that has me worried.

That's for
next season.
I believe.

EDIT: I'm guessing based on the manga volume titles.

CorvoSol

There we fucking go. Your tears will make a great ramen.

This is some School Days level shit, man. He treated her like a goddamn Plan B and nearly got away with it. Holy shit. I cannot in good conscience name a Mecha Protagonist who is a worse human being than this guy. Fucking Shinn Asuka wasn't this low, and he had sex with a girl the night he
thought he killed her sister.

Kaifun doesn't get punished. AT ALL. This rat bastard DIRECTLY causes the deaths of innocent people and basically abuses his cousin girlfriend and he gets off scott free. Meanwhile Hikaru treats the woman in his life like utter shit for a chance with a girl who dumped him to stay with said abusive cousin boyfriend.

These people are horrible and I wish they had not survived the
apocalypse.

Gazoinks

Don't forget to watch the Hoshi no Umi OADs before Ep 9!

From the New World 16

Man, this was a sad episode.
Maria's note, crying, hopelessness, creepy dream sequence. The works.

Next up: Biiiig timeskip.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Golden Time 09

oh no

oh no

OH NO

This is going down exactly like that Romance show from 2012 that involved
body switching

Can't say I'm a fan of this development but I'm going to see where it goes from here. MC better check himself before he wrecks himself
again

Jarmel

Banned
This is some School Days level shit, man. He treated her like a goddamn Plan B and nearly got away with it. Holy shit. I cannot in good conscience name a Mecha Protagonist who is a worse human being than this guy. Fucking Shinn Asuka wasn't this low, and he had sex with a girl the night he
thought he killed her sister.

Kaifun doesn't get punished. AT ALL. This rat bastard DIRECTLY causes the deaths of innocent people and basically abuses his cousin girlfriend and he gets off scott free. Meanwhile Hikaru treats the woman in his life like utter shit for a chance with a girl who dumped him to stay with said abusive cousin boyfriend.

These people are horrible and I wish they had not survived the
apocalypse.

Gotta love the show for letting Kaifun walk off into the sunset while giving a lecture on how fucked up Minmay is.

What makes this episode even worse are the Misa scenes where Misa is playing with the dog or just waiting for the dipshit to show up.

CorvoSol

Cuties those.

Is it a continuation or do I need to refresh on fmp again to understand whats going on? It came out well after the first I do remember that.

hmm ok now youre sweetening the pot arent you?

As long as you remember the basic set up of FMP you can jump right into TSR. And yes, I am not above bargaining for this.

would love to respond to this reaction but I havent seen macross in years so your gonna have to charge my memory

Hikaru has a date planned with Misa. Minmay calls him, tells him to ditch the date and come date her instead, since Misa lives closer and he can see her whenever. SEEING NO ISSUE WITH THIS, HIKARU GOES FOR IT. Then he doesn't tell Misa, leaving her to wait for him for hours in a cafe by herself. Then Kaifun ruins his date, and so Hikaru gets FUCKING PLASTERED, then goes and kicks some Zentradi asses, then FINALLY comes back to see Misa. Poor Misa is so emotionally desperate she jumps at the chance and they start walking like a couple. Until Misa sees "L.M. <3 H.I." embroidered on the scarf Minmay gave Hikaru at the start of their date. Misa rightly flips out, telling Hikaru "You're wrapping the wrong person in this scarf." before ditching his ass. Minmay decides not to sing at a concert Kaifun is staging to continue fomenting rebellion against the only form of centralized government in the world, and Kaifun bitches out before leaving her, like he is completely blameless or something.

Long story short fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck these people.

cajunator

Banned
Golden Time 09

oh no

oh no

OH NO

body switching

Can't say I'm a fan of this development but I'm going to see where it goes from here. MC better check himself before he wrecks himself
again

Kokoro Connect youre referring to. I loved that one. Mostly because Inaba is wonderful. I have a tendency to attach to a character and it very much colors my appreciation for the series.

CorvoSol

Gotta love the show for letting Kaifun walk off into the sunset while giving a lecture on how fucked up Minmay is.

What makes this episode even worse are the Misa scenes where Misa is playing with the dog or just waiting for the dipshit to show up.

I really don't get it. For the brief moment he was a lousy drunk I expected the show to admit that Kaifun was a horrible person who had never once been right ever, but now this. As a way of reminder, people DIED because of him, and there are so many examples of him being a cowardly hypocrite it doesn't even bear detailing.

Seeing Misa sit there alone waiting for Hikaru was painful and sad. I'm cutting her extra slack because 1) she's a better character and I am biased in her favor and 2) Aside from Claudia, Hikaru probably is the closest person to her in the world, seeing as how
her father died

cajunator

Banned
As long as you remember the basic set up of FMP you can jump right into TSR. And yes, I am not above bargaining for this.

Hikaru has a date planned with Misa. Minmay calls him, tells him to ditch the date and come date her instead, since Misa lives closer and he can see her whenever. SEEING NO ISSUE WITH THIS, HIKARU GOES FOR IT. Then he doesn't tell Misa, leaving her to wait for him for hours in a cafe by herself. Then Kaifun ruins his date, and so Hikaru gets FUCKING PLASTERED, then goes and kicks some Zentradi asses, then FINALLY comes back to see Misa. Poor Misa is so emotionally desperate she jumps at the chance and they start walking like a couple. Until Misa sees "L.M. <3 H.I." embroidered on the scarf Minmay gave Hikaru at the start of their date. Misa rightly flips out, telling Hikaru "You're wrapping the wrong person in this scarf." before ditching his ass. Minmay decides not to sing at a concert Kaifun is staging to continue fomenting rebellion against the only form of centralized government in the world, and Kaifun bitches out before leaving her, like he is completely blameless or something.

Ok it seems I never bought the fmp series so Ill try to track it down and rewatch it then start on second raid. Could take a little while depending how hard its to find the boxset. Once Ive got it Ill let you know. Then we'll talk about kino/tutu.

CorvoSol

Ok it seems I never bought the fmp series so Ill try to track it down and rewatch it then start on second raid. Could take a little while depending how hard its to find the boxset. Once Ive got it Ill let you know. Then we'll talk about kino/tutu.

There you go. You lemme know your choice when you have it. It's my favorite mecha anime series of all time, and I think that, barring the cgi, it's beautifully done. When I think Kyoani I think this show.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The problem with Log Horizon going into game specific concepts is that most of the abilities/cooldown timers are really silly and not thought out. Also, the general MMORPG conceptions it has are outdated, so instead of coming across as this highly futuristic and evolved super MMO players live in it winds up being more nostalgic. Pretty much all popular MMORPGs are phasing out the concept of aggro and threat generation to instead focus on very rigid cooldown rotation management.

Kite

Golden Time 09

oh no

oh no

OH NO

body switching

again
ehh don't get your panties in a twist, body swapping isn't that rare in anime so there is no reason to freak out. There is even an entry for it on tv tropes.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

ahh its kinda coming back to me

cajunator

Banned

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The problem with Log Horizon going into game specific concepts is that most of the abilities/cooldown timers are really silly and not thought out. Also, the general MMORPG conceptions it has are outdated, so instead of coming across as this highly futuristic and evolved super MMO players live in it winds up being more nostalgic. Pretty much all popular MMORPGs are phasing out the concept of aggro and threat generation to instead focus on very rigid cooldown rotation management.

You first need to take into consideration that log horizon didnt come out a couple months ago

cajunator

Banned

I have no idea what any of this means.

yami4ct

Kill la Kill 09-10

Finally picked this back up after a long break. Not sure if the show has gotten way better, or having fresh eyes let me enjoy these episodes more, but damn if both of these episodes weren't pretty damn excellent. The show still has problems. The rampant over-sexed fan service is still way more annoying than clever or funny and not all the humor hits, but so much more of what makes the show good is shining through. The battles are really super fun and the world is fascinating. There's actually a story here I care about, which is way more than I could honestly say about TTGL. The insanity of the last battle in Episode 10 is particularly fantastic. Just such a fun battle. If the show's fight scenes are this over the top already, I'm interested to see how far they drag it.

One last thing, I noticed way more bits of bad animation in these two episodes than earlier on. While the show always used a lot of repeating animation and freeze-frames, episode 10 in particular had some drawings that were down right ugly. Some moments look like they came out of a completely different show. Not sure what went on with that one, but it's still a great looking show for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom