• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I need a new food anime (aka something to watch throughout many months by watching an episode while I eat).

Should I go with Beelzebub or SKET Dance?

I tend to prefer less plot heavy more episodic shows for this genre of savory animes. Previous shows: Gintama, Bob's Burgers, Shirokuma Cafe, and currently South Park since I have nothing better to watch.

Sket Dance. It's more episodic than Beelzebub, which has something resembling an overarching plot. It's also been called "Gintama-lite" for a few reasons.

Just be prepared for episodes 24-25.

Nobunaga the Fool - 2

I can't stop imagining Hideyoshi getting spitroasted by Nobunaga and Mitsuhide.

Also, Sugita Da Vinci is perfect.

The plot still makes absolutely no sense.

(actual spoiler)
Wait, the real Ranmaru was supposed to be Nobunaga's attendant/male fucktoy, right? And he's strongly implied to be fucking his little sister, too? Lewd.

This show is horrible, but I'm still on board.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Space Battleship Yamato 8

Just what is the captain's condition. It comes and goes so quickly. There have to be environmental factors at play but it's not clear yet. I just want some huge twists asap.

Cloudy

Banned
Watched ep 1 of the Galilieo anime. Not sure what the fear ep was about but I love the character design so I'll keep watching. :)

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Just what is the captain's condition. It comes and goes so quickly. There have to be environmental factors at play but it's not clear yet. I just want some huge twists asap.

It's lupus.

Watched ep 1 of the Galilieo anime. Not sure what the fear ep was about but I love the character design so I'll keep watching. :)

Pls stop GD. I say this out of concern despite never talking to you.

Granted trying to stop you might be a fruitless endeavor of mine.

sonicmj1

Because it's not a shocking revelation, I'll just tell you that he has Planetary Bomb Syndrome. It seems to flare up with stress, but the exact way it affects him is never made clear.

I'm kind of impressed that they gave someone an inexplicable disease that doesn't have them coughing up blood.

Pooya

Noragami - 2

so fun, the second half of the episode was quite good. I'm looking forward to the interactions of the trio.

1389598143-2.jpg

1389598154-1.jpg

Nobunaga The Foo - 2

HAHAHAHAHAHHA Powerful Powerful drugs indeed. this is the best round table.

Is the last scene what I think it was?! lolol

Will watch for SugitaVinci. lololol

Saki side a 1-3

Fuck shounen pacing and the other manga I wrote. Blast through everything in 3 eps and woooo nationals!!!!!!

Ahahaha so this is where the timelines cross between new saki season and this show.

fertygo

Wizard Barrister - 01

This is the Umetsu's anime that we deserve, action sakuga, boobs, and mecha (despite its CG)

Yessssssss, I hope they stay with the procedural episodic formula, this concept of Magical Attorney is really interesting and should've fit for episodic content, or at least divided in few arc.

Its 2/3 for my anticipated show for Winter so far, now I just waiting for Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha airing tomorrow, that one should've good too.. so life is good.

Gazoinks

From the New World 17

Talky episode to set up the new arc. Not bad or anything, but hasn't really fully started moving yet.

I'm guessing this'll either end with the Monster Rats inheriting the earth (and their eventual failure) or them destroying themselves in war.

New ED! I like it, but I liked the old one more. It was more interesting in both visuals and song. Interesting they placed the new ED here, though, kinda drives home that this is the last section of the show and is important!

Jarmel

Banned
Tatami Galaxy-fin
ibrfQYvFEzJ2iZ.gif

Masterful is the word that comes to mind. It interweaves a complex narrative over enjoyable episodic material that at the same time conveys a heartwarming lesson. You can kinda predict how the story is going to unfold but the level of care put into the details and the overwhelming emotion put into the core of the story really makes it a transcendent work. The setting itself, taking place at college, is something I enjoy and the age of the characters also made it something unique. The early 20s is an age where a person can easily feel lost in trying to navigate through life and I'm sure there are plenty of people who wish they had redos. It's an age group that is rarely discussed in any serious manner in anime and it was refreshing to see a serious look at the emotional issues people in early adulthood are facing. The characters are all crazy to an extent but also sort of realistic in that there are people who are like that, even if they're not that insane. There are times where it seems like the show is losing control but Yuasa reigns everything in at the end.
The show won't win any awards for the animation but the art direction was really unique. I haven't seen much of Yuasa's stuff so the show had a really distinctive visual style to it. The character art in particular had this sort of surrealistic element to it that really worked. Yuasa plays around a lot with the character art such as with Ozu, and it helps with the narrative in that it reinforces the unreliable narrator bit. It also had a lot of energy and style to it that made the episodes just fun to watch. Episode 6 in particular was a riot. The soundtrack was also great at hitting those emotions and really nailing the tone in the scenes.
Something I never really note but struck out to me in Tatami is the VA work. Asanuma really had his hands full voicing Watashi. The breakneck speed of the narration really made it hard to follow at times and I'm sure Asanuma had his work cut out for him reading the script. It's so 'matter of factly' that I actually enjoyed this narration style as it was very dry and sarcastic to an extent. Another VA that I enjoyed immensely is Hiyama for Johnny. Oh man, Johnny's scenes were so good due to the influx of emotion from Hiyama.
The staff had a lot of fun playing around with the time travel elements, creating this complex universe composing of multiple characters in different stages. There's a lot going on in the backgrounds that can be very easy to miss if the audience isn't paying attention. However the interconnectivity is there and makes sense in the end. It reminded me of what I liked about Arrested Development's season 4 to a large extent. It's an impressive work just for that element alone.
The moral of the show isn't anything new. "Live life to the fullest and don't worry about making mistakes" isn't something new but the clever way Yuasa does it, really drives home the message. By watching Watashi repeatedly fail, the show makes it clear that there is no such as a perfect rosy life but rather just the one you're living. It's a fun show with a great and relevant message at the end.

Mature

From the New World 17

Talky episode to set up the new arc. Not bad or anything, but hasn't really fully started moving yet.

I'm guessing this'll either end with the Monster Rats inheriting the earth (and their eventual failure) or them destroying themselves in war.

New ED! I like it, but I liked the old one more. It was more interesting in both visuals and song. Interesting they placed the new ED here, though, kinda drives home that this is the last section of the show and is important!
It's tough to top that first one.

Gazoinks

From the New World 17

Oh, I forgot to mention the other thing I was going to say:
It's interesting how, in this show, the main character isn't fighting the establishment like in most stories of this type. Saki grew up to be a bureaucrat!

Tatami Galaxy-fin

Glad you enjoyed it. AnimeGAF recommended it to me a while ago, and it ended up being one of my favorites.

It's tough to top that first one.

A moment of silence for twitchy guitar.

Dresden

The show won't win any awards for the animation

But that's like one of the main draws of the show. Just look at the fireworks scene in the first episode, for example.

Still super fond of it, and probably the second best Yuasa show, I guess, but HOFFLE keeps climbing up the mental ranks.

Gazoinks

If I remember correctly based on the very little I read
yeah there are multiple keys.

Huh. Well... That's a development.

But that's like one of the main draws of the show. Just look at the fireworks scene in the first episode, for example.

Still super fond of it, and probably the second best Yuasa show, I guess, but HOFFLE keeps climbing up the mental ranks.

What would you say is his best? I should check out his other stuff since I liked Tatami Galaxy so much.

Jarmel

Banned

The animation isn't bad but it's not exactly on the high end. It's more the artstyle that makes it awesome on a visual level.

Branduil

Oh, I forgot to mention the other thing I was going to say:
It's interesting how, in this show, the main character isn't fighting the establishment like in most stories of this type. Saki grew up to be a bureaucrat!

Well...
she was groomed for the job from a young age, including brainwashing. It shouldn't be surprising that it happened, from an analytical standpoint.

One of the big themes of the show is how people are influenced and formed by forces outside of their control.

duckroll

Been locked out of GAF for half a day due to faulty connection issues. I missed everyone. ;_;

Wizard Barristers - Episode 1

This was like watching a 90s OVA released as a 2014 TV series, for all the right and wrong reasons. Really stupid character designs. Super detailed art. Crazy action animation. Hot female cop with smartass male partner. Guns. SWAT teams. Explosions. Magicians. Terrible CG used for really silly reasons. Terrible CG used for normal reasons. Over the top campy music. Wakamoto playing a perverted frog familiar who is extremely animated. Scene after scene of wacky random crazy shit.

Yup. This is the real Umetsu. Which probably means the FBI is tracking anyone who watches more than 3 episodes of it. :(

Gazoinks

Well...
she was groomed for the job from a young age, including brainwashing. It shouldn't be surprising that it happened, from an analytical standpoint.

One of the big themes of the show is how people are influenced and formed by forces outside of their control.
Yeah, I know.
I just think it's nice to see something that goes in a different narrative direction than usual for this sort of story.

Pooya

Wizard Barristers -1

I liked the opening scenes quite a bit they did look pretty good too.

Rest of it was hit and miss, mostly miss with that terrible
CG dragon
and the rest.

I don't have any problem with the character designs except the main girl and her familiar which is a big turn off... they stick out like a sore thumb, why can't we have adult cast, this is an 'adult' anime anyway :(

Umetsu really likes little girls riding scooters I guess, and them
pulling out a mecha out of nowhere.

I'd be more interested in non-stop cops vs wizards action and explosions than a little girl barrister, probably waiting to see how this one turns out, seems more promising than GD ever was though.

wonzo

Banned
Wizard Barristers 1

Now this is more like the Umetsu I remember (for better and for worse) compared to the-show-from-last-season-that-shall-not-be-named. Will keep watching for all the ownage action scenes (bad cg and all) and wakamoto frog.

Yep, wakamoto frog.

Dresden

The animation isn't bad but it's not exactly on the high end. It's more the artstyle that makes it awesome on a visual level.

No, like, the animation in the show is fantastic. Not to be down on the design work because it's great too, but it's about as high end as you can get with a tv show.

Well, he could be lying to me. :(

I think the fact that it feels like a Shaft highlight reel is getting me to stick around more than anything else. All it needs is wideface.

You know you'll watch it to the bitter end.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Space Battleship Yamato 10

This show's getting very Star Trek-ish, not that it's a bad thing, mind you. I kinda like the format. This episode was crazy good; it's getting better and better each episode it seems.

Mature

When you or Kuwabaratheman post Conan impression, I always remember your post about time-progression in Conan lol
Haha. =]
Kemonozume > Tatami, I think. I'd really like to rewatch Kemo at some point, though.
Kemonozume is a fantastic series, but I find it a hard recommendation to anyone who isn't deep in the weeds when it comes to anime.

ibxCecC7oygPNQ.gif

*Bonus gif from when I was doing impressions
I think this is the most representative scene of how amazing the CG is Wizard Barristers:
Her right leg..!

Theonik

Girls und Panzer 1

I guess you have to admire how seriously they take an utterly absurd premise. In any other world, the idea that tanking skills are the measure of femininity would be ridiculed, but they sell it well here. Also, triple credit? Sign me up.
Just to make sure. The first episode's CG sequence got improved for the BD release so make sure you are watching that.

image.php

You are not BGBW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom