• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nisekoi 2

And thus we continue the Date crusade of Shitoge, Shaft style!

Still not feeling the girls though. Where's the other candidates?

Just finished the episode , it's not what i expected of nisekoi being a anime would be ... i mean it's basicly a 1:1 adaptation of the manga with shaft layers added...

But somehow it's kinda weird to see it properly.

As for the other girls , they are far , far , far away

It's alright but it's not gonna set the world on fire.

Quasar

Just finished the episode , it's not what i expected of nisekoi being a anime would be ... i mean it's basicly a 1:1 adaptation of the manga with shaft layers added...

Time for more Onedera. Thats all I want anyway.

Time for more Onedera. Thats all I want anyway.
Alright girl... i've seen worse canditates in those kind of dramas.
Too bad she can't cook .
Whats your opinion of Saint Tail? Thats one of my favorites.

Alright , but it's not that much a favorite of mine.
Never been a fan of the legendary thief plots except "cat's eyes" & "lupin"
Saint tail was alright but if you hadn't talked about it i wouldn't have mentionned it in any of my anime serie rankings

Jarmel

Banned
Nisekoi-2
i5LgIhwT0W8al.jpg

My heart.
Another really well directed episode. Just it's such a shame that the manga is dog shit. It's almost depressing as it's a really good adaptation.
Sounds best. They'd better show up soon. The manga's still ongoing, yeah? Curious how they're gonna end the anime if it's only 11 episodes.

I'm praying to god they go for an anime original ending.

A tomboy and a girl voiced by Kana Asumi I think. They looked pretty best the last time I checked.

A tomboy? Well damn son......

Wait... wait..... is there a tomboy in TLRD?

It's alright but it's not gonna set the world on fire.

too far. Now I'm question how I spent my time on this...

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
That's MISTRESS HARUKA to you.

My mistake!

I love snake girls.

Usually I'm not a fan of 'lack of emotion' characters, but for some reason it just really works for her. :p

SDBurton , word of warning ... you're not gonna need to ship anything in sengan kagura shinobi versus ( the next one on vita ) ... There is some subtle yuri , the Not-subtle yuri , it's in there ..you'll have a blast if you play this game ...garanteed.
In that game there are no need for shipping , it's already in your face for your entertainment.

tJuIMOs.png

wsippel

Banned
Sekai Seifuku 2

Even more random than the first episode. I have absolutely no idea what to expect from this thing, but I enjoy watching the madness unfold.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
7ME3DEil.png

I guess it's been a while since the younger versions of the characters showed up, but I had no idea this was Sawashiro. It was immediately recognizable once "he" started talking.
Koabayashi can't even get little boy roles anymore. :(

---

NiseKoi 2
bIRb739l.jpg

Now that I know the bullshit of this manga, I guess I can just appreciate the random Shaftisms in the show. The fact that she's always surrounded by flowers just makes sense, as were the times when they show just randomly went to manga panels whenever the characters were shocked.

Not enough head tilts this time around though.

7ME3DEil.png

I guess it's been a while since the younger versions of the characters showed up, but I had no idea this was Sawashiro. It was immediately recognizable once "he" started talking.
How did this take you 90 episodes to notice? The only good part about the Mr. Hibbit segments is the fact that every female is voiced by the goddess.

Nisekoi-2

Another really well directed episode. Just it's such a shame that the manga is dog shit. It's almost depressing as it's a really good adaptation.
Indeed it is ...i was really surprised at some shots , even when they started the episode with the classic shaft WALL OF TEXT.
I'm praying to god they go for an anime original ending.
If they do then there is actually no chance of seeing the others girls .. 11 eps , right ? they aren't even in the opening animation so it's safe to assume that

-we'll get the manga plain and simple ( and they stop so they can dd in for later )
-We get filler time
-we get original ending
Both keys are false and no good.... WHAT A TWIST
too far. Now I'm question how I spent my time on this...
I had so many so many ichigo 100% when reading nisekoi ... i stopped reading because i was getting trully bored.

My mistake!

Usually I'm not a fan of 'lack of emotion' characters, but for some reason it just really works for her. :p

tJuIMOs.png

LOOOOOOL

Then enjoy , then ! the old characters are even better and the new ones are so good it's not even funny.
The best stuff is in their characters solo stories

That Sengan Kagura boxart sure is tame.

At least it's a SFW box art , not like the one EU is getting for SK1.
Also it make sense within the context of the story they tried to tell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How did this take you 90 episodes to notice? The only good part about the Mr. Hibbit segments is the fact that every female is voiced by the goddess.
I probably recognized her voice the first time around, but just completely forgot. Apparently she's also the dog. :p

I skip the videos at the end, but I would have assumed that they went back to get the original actresses. Although I guess that'd be pointless for such a pointless segment. lol

I skip the videos at the end, but I would have assumed that they went back to get the original actresses. Although I guess that'd be pointless for such a pointless segment. lol
It's better this way obviously. Because now I get to hear her put "nya" at the end of everything and it cures what ails me.

Midonin

Pani Poni Dash!
マホ少女ひめこ☆ナニカ

Shaft has been one of my favorite studios, and for as long as I've known them, it was either Hidamari Sketch (arty, but quiet and contemplative) or what Pani Poni formed the basis of. Zetsubou Sensei and the second Negima series (which I actually kind of like) all are spiritual successors to this show, but I've never finished it until now. I think it's because the openings were so bizarre that my mind hadn't fully settled into the Shaft groove.

The thing about comedy is that the characters can be allowed to be broad, as long as the things happening around them are of note. Compared to Zetsubou Sensei, I noticed here that almost all of the references the show makes are buried in the background - the actual comedic throughlines of the episodes are pretty simple. Things like makeup tests or Becky losing her meal ticket.

And Becky, oh Becky. Chiwa Saito is Shaft's star player, and so much of this series is carried by her performance. She can be cute, sassy, angry, a whole range of emotions. Even a few heartfelt ones. The rest of the cast is pretty good, too. A few names who never rose to stardom, and many who are still big to this day. Miyako's not what I think of for Yui Horie characters with her perpetual anger, but it's not that far removed from Koko's... Kokoness.

My favorite characters of the main six were probably Himeko - energetic types have always tickled my fancy and No. 6. She's the adorable of the year. I do like that the show had multiple classes and teachers, and didn't solely confine all of its weirdoes to one classroom. Akane Serizawa was probably my favorite in this tier. A real tour de force for Miyukichi.

The aliens and Mesousa's recurring subplots were both fairly amusing, with the alien stuff calling to mind the later instance of the Professor and Nano in Nichijou, with unusual characters in mundane situations. The jokes didn't overstay their welcome, either. There were some standbys, but things were never repeated so often that they became stale.

And I can't mention Pani Poni without bringing up Ichijou. Ichijou is the best. She was never predictable, but always seemed to be starring in her own series with her own logic that was clearly not meant for us mortal humans. The way she exacerbated the situation twice was hilarious. I could also go on about Behoimi and her fall from magical girldom, or the giant salamander. There's so much going on in the background of every episode (including a few toku references, and Shaft getting meta on themselves in the OVA) that I was never bored.

For the openings, "Roulette☆Roulette" was my favorite, and both endings were pretty good. "Pani Poni X" was an amazing piece of insert music, too. The Edo episode came out of nowhere, and was the one weak link in the series, but I'm aware I lack the cultural context for it, no matter how many times I see Edo in Japanese media. Plus it was still called back to for a few jokes a few episodes later.

Final Thoughts: Maho-velous! The Shaft comedy of the year! I've been wanting a more traditional Shaft comedy as their style continues to evolve in the present, and so the best way to do that was going back to the past. Pani Poni clearly set a template for many years to come, and it still holds up today. The references may become dated, but the character stuff is pretty good, what I'd expect from Japanese comedy, tempered by a good voice cast and Shinbo's signature style.

DominoKid

Kuroko Basketball 2 ep 15

I guess this match will end midway through ep 17?

Are they on pace to finish the Winter Cup this season or will that be in S3?
Because I'd like to see some of the other GoM play each other. Kise vs Aomine was the best thing in the show so far.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Where from and how much? I may buy it too if you give it a good recommendation. Been wanting it since I like burst so much.

Got it on Amazon for $65. I'll get to it tonight if I can finish up the Hebijo's storyline by then. If not, definitely tomorrow.

Sekai Seifuku 2

What in the hell am I suppose to be taking from this show?
Just be conquered ... i know you are !

Pani Poni Dash!
マホ少女ひめこ☆ナニカ

Shaft has been one of my favorite studios, and for as long as I've known them, it was either Hidamari Sketch (arty, but quiet and contemplative) or what Pani Poni formed the basis of. Zetsubou Sensei and the second Negima series (which I actually kind of like) all are spiritual successors to this show, but I've never finished it until now. I think it's because the openings were so bizarre that my mind hadn't fully settled into the Shaft groove.

The thing about comedy is that the characters can be allowed to be broad, as long as the things happening around them are of note. Compared to Zetsubou Sensei, I noticed here that almost all of the references the show makes are buried in the background - the actual comedic throughlines of the episodes are pretty simple. Things like makeup tests or Becky losing her meal ticket.

And Becky, oh Becky. Chiwa Saito is Shaft's star player, and so much of this series is carried by her performance. She can be cute, sassy, angry, a whole range of emotions. Even a few heartfelt ones. The rest of the cast is pretty good, too. A few names who never rose to stardom, and many who are still big to this day. Miyako's not what I think of for Yui Horie characters with her perpetual anger, but it's not that far removed from Koko's... Kokoness.

My favorite characters of the main six were probably Himeko - energetic types have always tickled my fancy and No. 6. She's the adorable of the year. I do like that the show had multiple classes and teachers, and didn't solely confine all of its weirdoes to one classroom. Akane Serizawa was probably my favorite in this tier. A real tour de force for Miyukichi.

The aliens and Mesousa's recurring subplots were both fairly amusing, with the alien stuff calling to mind the later instance of the Professor and Nano in Nichijou, with unusual characters in mundane situations. The jokes didn't overstay their welcome, either. There were some standbys, but things were never repeated so often that they became stale.

And I can't mention Pani Poni without bringing up Ichijou. Ichijou is the best. She was never predictable, but always seemed to be starring in her own series with her own logic that was clearly not meant for us mortal humans. The way she exacerbated the situation twice was hilarious. I could also go on about Behoimi and her fall from magical girldom, or the giant salamander. There's so much going on in the background of every episode (including a few toku references, and Shaft getting meta on themselves in the OVA) that I was never bored.

For the openings, "Roulette☆Roulette" was my favorite, and both endings were pretty good. "Pani Poni X" was an amazing piece of insert music, too. The Edo episode came out of nowhere, and was the one weak link in the series, but I'm aware I lack the cultural context for it, no matter how many times I see Edo in Japanese media. Plus it was still called back to for a few jokes a few episodes later.

Final Thoughts: Maho-velous! The Shaft comedy of the year! I've been wanting a more traditional Shaft comedy as their style continues to evolve in the present, and so the best way to do that was going back to the past. Pani Poni clearly set a template for many years to come, and it still holds up today. The references may become dated, but the character stuff is pretty good, what I'd expect from Japanese comedy, tempered by a good voice cast and Shinbo's signature style.

Excellent review ..it's been a while since i've seen pani poni dash , but it's a series where you feel like every character had a clear important place in the show pacing and plot , to the point that it would be a different series even if one was missing.

I'll disagree with some thing , some joke , clearly overstay their welcome but when they do it's on purpose ! One of the few comedic anime that overuse some jokes in order to make more jokes !

cajunator

Banned
Alright girl... i've seen worse canditates in those kind of dramas.
Too bad she can't cook .

Alright , but it's not that much a favorite of mine.
Never been a fan of the legendary thief plots except "cat's eyes" & "lupin"
Saint tail was alright but if you hadn't talked about it i wouldn't have mentionned it in any of my anime serie rankings

Fair enough. I have nostalgia goggles for it probably but I did purchase the series and still enjoy it to this day.

Wait , chickdigger is banned ? Again ? what the hell did he do ?

or was it the avatar itself ?

PM

7ME3DEil.png

---

NiseKoi 2
bIRb739l.jpg

Now that I know the bullshit of this manga, I guess I can just appreciate the random Shaftisms in the show. The fact that she's always surrounded by flowers just makes sense, as were the times when they show just randomly went to manga panels whenever the characters were shocked.

Not enough head tilts this time around though.

Onedera. This pleases me.

Aikatsu! 37

Soliel was formed, Mizuki aborts Ran from the team. Ran joins Soleil

Well now. In a sense, I can't say I'm a fan of Mizuki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom