• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golden Time 15

Hey, if you forget the last 30 seconds happened, this was a nice episode. Dammit ghost banri, hopefully you'll at least bring the laughs next episode.

Samurai Flamenco 15
Pretty exciting to see all the heroes save the day.
And then, the brother thing at the end . Probably a shapeshifter though or some sort of doppleganger

Acosta

Yessssssss

llK9uh8.jpg

Baller!

*bow* *bow*

Sakura Trick - 03

Another episode where sdburton will need a transfusion.

This episode was great.
The concil was alright but could have been better .
The beach queens were in their little world , that was a nice touch.Overall i must say that i'm loving every aspect of the show.

Student concil president was superb in her way of freezing up ..that reveal was magnificent.

Overall what i'm loving is that each duo is actively aware of another secret yet each mind their own business.( except at some clear points ).
The result is that there is no antagonist , and the garden is properly maintained.

cajunator

Banned
Aiura remains the king of anime thighs.

(I miss this show so much. S2 when?)

The animation for such a short show was outta this world.

Engaged to the Identified ep 1 to 3

Mashiro....

H.N.N.N.G.!

That is all.

Youve said what needs be said here.

Paranoia Agent

One of the weirdest shows I have ever seen.

You havent seen the truly weird stuff out there then.

Zachy I watched some in japanese this morning and its quite adorable but I will have to continue watching the dub to maintain focus. Im simply too ADD to be glued to a screen as such.

Fuuuuuuck yeahhhhhhhhh
I am highly disappointed in merchandising for this show though. the waifu figurine potential is ENORMOUS yet the big companies have so far ignored offerings, leaving them to the likes of Plum and...Griffon. Absolutely Shameful.

My work colleagues are wondering why I'm making whooping noises right now. Though I have to say, I'm concerned about the levels of Kurumi in this season. I know she's in vol 7 at least, but I have no idea what her significance is (if any).

Fuuuuuuck yeahhhhhhhhh
I am highly disappointed in merchandising for this show though. the waifu figurine potential is ENORMOUS yet the big companies have so far ignored offerings, leaving them to the likes of Plum and...Griffon. Absolutely Shameful.
Instead of focusing on the problems, let's be proactive and think about the possible methods of changing their minds:

1) Campaign of harassment;
2) Tesla coils;
3) Invade their offices with an army of Kurumi cosplayers;
etc

cajunator

Banned
My work colleagues are wondering why I'm making whooping noises right now. Though I have to say, I'm concerned about the levels of Kurumi in this season. I know she's in vol 7 at least, but I have no idea what her significance is (if any).

Instead of focusing on the problems, let's be proactive and think about the possible methods of changing their minds:

2) Tesla coils;
etc

Im happy that at least the Kurumi figurine came out decent. Its not nearly good enough but Im content with her.

You didn't like Diebuster? :(.

It's not that I don't like it. I watched it right after finishing Gunbuster, which meant I couldn't help but compare every moment of it to the latter. This undoubtedly skewed my point of view of the show.

I think I would liked it a ton more if I watched it a week or so after finishing Gunbuster.

Fuuuuuuck yeahhhhhhhhh

Ewwww :(. Don't have any figures from either company of those companies and (most likely) never will.

Mononoke

Banned
Oh god guys, I started watching Attack on Titan. I have such a love hate relationship with this show. It instantly hooked me, and I really loved the characters. But I also find the way the story is told to be aggravating. I had a friend tell me the show was very fast paced and efficient. And I actually agreed with him in the beginning. It did feel that way. But then around the middle point when
Eren gets swallowed up, comes back, they make plans to use him, he fails to execute plan, but nope he then succeeds (all this takes up like 4 episodes),
it starts to feel like a trudge. The endless epic battles also kind of start to fatigue you (I suppose that actually means the writing is doing a good job there, it definitely sets up a dire and hopeless environment. And the battles do effectively bring out the horror that is the world in the show). But I suppose one of my issues is I feel like, the show just likes to pile on the failures over and over. There is never any little victories. It's always going down hill, and getting worse. And again, the combination of the show being relentless in the onslaught of action/horror + how they string out cliffhangers (more specifically when they get around to resolving), is starting to fatigue the hell out of me.

I'm at episode 12 now. So I'm half way through. I actually watched 1-4, but then watched 1-12 (so 1-4 again) because I had a family member that wanted to watch it too. And so we basically watched 1-12 in one sitting. So to the shows credit, it was addicting enough that we couldn't just stop. It always had to be one more. But it was also because the way they left things. ANYWAYS, long fuckin story short, I really hope I'm not setting myself up for a show I'll ultimately dislike.

I'll be honest, I'm really weary about
the Titan-shifting stuff. I was actually really fond of Eren's story, his anger etc. And I was more interested in him becoming a leader in the cadets, and rising up. I actually thought that is what the story was about. That it would be about his hunger to fight back, and that motivating people to stand up. And I feel like it started out that way, but then kind of just went all batshit crazy when they decided to shift his story with his..ability (leaving it vague, just in case someone accidentally clicks this). Now I'm kind of having a hard time totally connecting to the character and his story, and I hope I get that back by the end of the show.

I did something really fuckin bad, and I looked at future spoilers from the Manga. I usually never do this. But I could already tell their were signs of things that I didn't like. And there is some stuff that I found out, that has me really worried. I won't even write them in this post (even with spoiler tags), because I don't want people to accidentally click them thinking I'm only talking about the anime. But yeah, fuck. I just hope this all comes together in the end. I mean, there is the background mythology, it's there. It has to be explained. I get it. But I hope they don't go so fuckin crazy that the entire world gets ridiculous. I think apart of the reason I read the spoilers (in all honesty), is that I was recently let down by the Legend of Korra. Obviously as you know (by my username), I was a huge fan of Avatar. Absolutely loved that show. And I actually liked Korra Season 1 (despite it's complaints). Loathed season 2. I was just so let down, to the point that I don't think the show can recover for me.

I'm hoping Attack on Titan doesn't end up the same for me. Despite it's hyper-dramatic style, it's got me hooked.

/ 8 am(ish) coffee rant after a night of marathoning Attack on Titan.

It's not that I don't like it. I watched it right after finishing Gunbuster, which meant I couldn't help but compare every moment of it to the latter. This undoubtedly skewed my point of view of the show.

I think I would liked it a ton more if I watched it a week or so after finishing Gunbuster.

Makes sense. I watched them pretty far apart from each other. They are stylistically very different from one another but that's one thing I appreciated about Diebuster (though I do like Gunbuster better, for the record).

That Diebuster OP though...one of my all time faves. Still have it on my playlist for when I'm running :D.

cnet128

Banned

Not watching the PV because I generally prefer to go into these things fresh, however...I do greatly approve of this development.

Do you ever not pick the worst girl, CNet? I mean c'mon. Marie's lame.

Well, to be fair, Marie wasn't actually the one I dated. I dated Chie because hells yeah Chie.

Your beloved Rise is my second choice (though I only know her as Kugimiya, none of your crazy Laura Bailey nonsense), and Marie would probably be third. But she's still amazing, and I loved her bonus dungeon scenario and everything surrounding it. It would've been great to see all that adapted in anime form ;_;

Mononoke

Banned
My only problem with the show was its pacing, but I didn't watch most of it until after it aired so that helped to alleviate that problem. If you can deal with that aspect of it then I think you'll still like it in the end.

I think because I'm at the half way point, I'm about over that hump. I was kind of reading other people's reactions, and it seemed like this was the hardest part for them to get past. I think once you get past the middle, the pacing can be dealt with.

But I'll admit, there aren't really any single episodes that I disliked. I mean, I think there were a couple episodes that could have been drastically shortened. I think some of the flashback stuff could have been told in a different order (for pacing sake). But for me, it's just all the elements of the show on top of the pacing that is kind of making me ride that line of loving the show, and being weary of it lol.

I guess again to the shows credit, I've never been this on edge about a TV series. Granted, I'm a noob to Anime (barely started this year, and I spent the entire year only watching film. This is actually like the second TV show I've ever watched. I had a friend that basically was hounding me to watch it, so I gave in and just gave it a shot since it was on Netflix).

CorvoSol

Not watching the PV because I generally prefer to go into these things fresh, however...I do greatly approve of this development.

Well, to be fair, Marie wasn't actually the one I dated. I dated Chie because hells yeah Chie.

Your beloved Rise is my second choice (though I only know her as Kugimiya, none of your crazy Laura Bailey nonsense), and Marie would probably be third. But she's still amazing, and I loved her bonus dungeon scenario and everything surrounding it. It would've been great to see all that adapted in anime form ;_;

I'll give you Chie, but dissing Yukiko for Marie, tut tut tut.

Rise is still the best 'cuz she breaks the game.

cajunator

Banned
Ewwww :(. Don't have any figures from either company of those companies and (most likely) never will.

Probably a good idea though the Plum Yoshino is really cute.

I cant post most pictures of the Yamai girls because NSFW
They are quite well rendered Ill say that much.

Significant ( as
if she wasn't there thing would have been BAD END
)

2) Tesla coils;
etc

lol

jman2050

Kill La Kill 15

All the new uniforms are awesome. Especially Jakuzure's.Fight between Ryuko and Satsuki was pretty damn awesome, it seems abundantly clear that whatever little budget Trigger has is being devoted to those scenes.

Mako and Gamagoori better have tons of glorious hatesex when this is all over.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Kill La Kill 15

All the new uniforms are awesome. Especially Jakuzure's.Fight between Ryuko and Satsuki was pretty damn awesome, it seems abundantly clear that whatever little budget Trigger has is being devoted to those scenes.

Mako and Gamagoori better have tons of glorious hatesex when this is all over.

Hate?

It's pure love. LOVE.

Was actually thinking of checking this one out. How is it shaping up so far?

I like it. It's fantastical and at the same time one of the most down to earth shows I've seen so far. Gonna watch the last episode now and post my final impressions after that.

Hunter X Hunter - 113

Killua just made the heads of two giant bugs explode by hitting them with yo-yos. Youpi is now a demonic thousand-eyed monster. Gon looks like he's ready to start an insect extermination. Pouf has gone absolutely bananas.

All of this is leading up to what I think will be this anime's shining moment. Readers of the manga will know what I'm talking about.

So hyped. Cannot wait for *that* scene in the manga to be in animated form. It's going to be glorious.

Mononoke

Banned
I like it. It's fantastical and at the same time one of the most down to earth shows I've seen so far. Gonna watch the last episode now and post my final impressions after that.

Sounds like it's up my ally. I'll check it out next, thanks. Feels like a nice break from the stuff I've been watching.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Hunter X Hunter - 113

Killua just made the heads of two giant bugs explode by hitting them with yo-yos. Youpi is now a demonic thousand-eyed monster. Gon looks like he's ready to start an insect extermination. Pouf has gone absolutely bananas.

All of this is leading up to what I think will be this anime's shining moment. Readers of the manga will know what I'm talking about.

So hyped. Cannot wait for *that* scene in the manga to be in animated form. It's going to be glorious.

oh snap

You know it wasn't until I came into this anime thread that I fully realized the cute/moe "fetish" of Japan for anime is something very very real.

Balls Touching #3

HEY ANIMEGAF

HAVE YOU SEEN HINA?

HINA, FROM JAPAN

HAVE YOU SEEN HER?

HINA

NOT DIO, HINA

FROM JAPAN, HINA

I'd rather he want to see Hina than to make out with the Holy Diver.

It's not THAT bad so far and tbh I'm amused with all the almost yaoi terms they're using to keep yaoi fanboys/girls watching thinking it'll go that route. Whenever they reach a point where these fans might stop I swear there's gonna be a scene like

"This enemy is too strong. Our proposing might not be good enough!"

"Quickly Dio-kun! We must use the strongest power of our hot connection!"

"Agreed. Let's do the 'Hot Sweaty Kissing' maneuver"

"For our country Dio-kun!"

cajunator

Banned
It's not THAT bad so far and tbh I'm amused with all the almost yaoi terms they're using to keep yaoi fanboys/girls watching thinking it'll go that route. Whenever they reach a point where these fans might stop I swear there's gonna be a scene like

"This enemy is too strong. Our proposing might not be good enough!"

"Quickly Dio-kun! We must use the strongest power of our hot connection!"

"Agreed. Let's do the 'Hot Sweaty Kissing' maneuver"

"For our country Dio-kun!"

It only seems fair since us yuri fans were given the greatest gift ever.

The Eccentric Family 13

71ZbMYc.jpg

Image from earlier episode

So everything ended well. Soun got
exposed and he didn't get to be Nise-emon and I guess the Friday Fellows didn't get to eat any tanuki hot pot this year.

As I said ealier, it's fantastical and at the same time one of the most down to earth shows I've seen so far. The blend of some Japanese mythology and real life current settings were interesting.

Yasaburo was a likeable character and all the tanukis were cute.

Both the comedy and the sad parts worked for me and it was a really fun show.

I also think that what is fun is good so I give it 4/5 tanukis:
sXUoY3N.png
sXUoY3N.png
sXUoY3N.png
sXUoY3N.png
UVOgnC5.png

CorvoSol

Getter Robo 34

Boy howdy, it's a good thing that Ryoma, Hayato and Musashi were already kind of mentally screwed up, because if they weren't pretty much everything that has happened to them would leave them horribly emotionally messed up as it is. On the one hand this episode was just another "Dinosaur pretends to be a woman and things get dramatic from there" episode, but on the other hand it's unfair to say that and not admit that it still works as a plot device, since this time it's Ryoma (instead of Musashi or Michiru) who is most effected by it, believing the Dinosaur woman warrior Yunkei to be his dead little sister, Jun. We're shown that Ryoma was frickin' ripped in Junior High, but that his little sister died a comically tragic death one day after school. Ryoma spends much of this episode defending and being hypnotized by Yunkei, and when he finds out that she's been using him, he's so messed up he cannot fight her. Then, of course, because Ryoma is a manly man his masculine charm has converted her at the last second and she moves to save him, only to be offed by Emperor Gore (who spends the episode afraid because there isn't much job security in being an evil Emperor when your own eviler Emperor has found people who don't suck as much at your job.).

Effectively, Ryoma is forced to spend the episode reliving the death of his little sister, again and again. It's rough, and you really feel bad for the kid. Which is saying something because Ryoma Nagare is still an arrogant, cocky bastard willing to fight the homicidally smug Hayato on a minute's notice.

Detective Conan 288:
And now the conclusion, complete with English speaking Akai. Ran really went through a lot of tough times on this trip, but at least her memories of it were eventually restored, and she can remember when she first met Akai. The end of the case in particular had a lot of good foreshadowing for future events and revelations. Yukiko also continued her trend of being awesome; she really doesn't show up enough in the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom