• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam 34

So this is the first episode in which Amuro's New Type powers awaken, and all of it is triggered by his contact with Lalah Soon. I've said before that I really do not think that New Type powers and relationships improved the series, because they gave Tomino a terrible excuse to shield his horrible battle-dialogue around and in later series New Type obsession became a sickness in writers' heads (00 and AGE are chief offenders). I have also said there is no love triangle between Lalah, Char, and Amuro, and I think I will stand by that argument. I really don't think Amuro was in love with Lalah. He doesn't know her well enough for that. I think that Char was in love with Lalah, and I think Amuro blames himself for
her death, but I think the reason it sticks with Amuro more than the people he'd killed prior to her is because 1)Lalah becomes the symbol of all the lives Amuro has taken during the One Year War and 2)the manner of Lalah's death haunts him, since Amuro is psychically linked to her as he kills her. The second would be the more canon, but since I hate New Type BS because it cheapens and weakens the entire franchise, and the best moments in Gundam are moments protagonists say "fuck being a New Type" (like Tobia's prayer in Crossbone), I prefer the first. That is, that Lalah matters to Amuro because she is symbolic of everything he had come to hate about himself during the One Year War and run away from after it. His memories of her are tied inextricably to what happened to his father, and to the many, many people's lives that Amuro personally ruined during the war. It actually makes Amuro to be a character with depth, rather than the bullshit psychic ghost nonsense.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 31

Oh hi, White Elephant, who poops magical beads. the Elephant is clearly here due to whatever shit is going down with the new main antagonist.

Onpu too pure to say poop.

Its snowing. I blame SAO for this somehow.

Obama confirmed to like Kirito-kun
tJLxo4I.gif

CorvoSol

Obama confirmed to like Kirito-kun
tJLxo4I.gif

Thanks, Kiritobama.

Orphen 8

We get the rest of Orphen's backstory in this episode, and honestly, I still think it's only fair to question his correctness in this entire plot. Yeah, the goons at the Tower of Fang are shown to be concerned with their reputations, but on the other hand,
The reputation of the Tower of Fang is quite possibly an important thing to maintain, since it codifies magic the world over, bringing order and allowing for a rule of law over people who have powers that ordinary men would otherwise live in absolute fear of. What's more, Azaly DOES deserve to die for her avarice. She stole holy relics from a Temple of the Gods, hid them from the Elders of her Order who were, if not more powerful than her, certainly wise enough to know better than tampering with a magical sword all willy nilly, and then chose to use herself as an experiment, becoming a monster who has at least caused great destruction, and I seriously doubt has avoided killing anyone. Orphen has failed frequently to stop her, and there's still the question of "would returning to normal really prevent Azaly from doing something worse?" Plus Orphen never really gives Childman the benefit of the doubt, choosing to fight the guy at every turn rather than listening to him.

SAO is the perfect example of potential of an enjoyable gary stu story ruined by the industry's tropes of harems and incest.

If they had just kept the show the whole time with just the ONE waifu, I would have enjoyed it more.

DiGiKerot

Wake Up, Girls! 3

I'm pretty sure that Yamakan just hired whoever responded to his call for staff on Twitter regardless of experience...

Also, this episode didn't make me feel like a terrible person. Most disappointing. Also also, Tiger continues to be best WUG.

CorvoSol

better yet, should've made asuna the hero.

I genuinely like Asuna in part 1, Kirito husbando tendencies notwithstanding.

I didn't mind Asuna until she suddenly lost her balls.

"Yes, I will let Heathcliff say what I can and cannot do. He has a legitimate ownership of my life.
Yes, I will let Kirito fight Heathcliff for me. It's not I'm a competent swordswoman in my own right who was supposed to be Kirito's equal. Here, let me just lock the birdcage behind me. It's not a kitchen, but it's the next best place for a member of the weaker sex like me!"

Jintor

Yeah but before that she was a strong independent woman who didn't need no man

and it was fucking awesome

well, that's kinda overstating it a little. But she was kinda cool!

CorvoSol

ICE 2 opens with the following hilarious message:

"On the other side of our peaceful and prosperous days, wars are always continuing. Should we continue to support ignorance and turn a blind eye, this story may become the truth."

You hear that guys? If we don't change our, um, stuff, then men will die and women will ruin the world. Also birds that turn into flowers.

Nafe

Diebuster

jD8WUkx4IEZ8i.jpg

I salute you and your deeds as well Nono. You're a good member of team visor.

--
--Note: The following contains spoilers for both Diebuster as well as Gunbuster. Read at your own discretion!--
--

Recently I just watched through all six episodes/OVAs of Diebuster and I think one should look at it on its own merits but with it also being linked to Gunbuster, then it's natural to bring up some comparisons between the two works.

One thing that readily came to mind to me in that regard was the topic of time dilation. With the earlier work not only having it present but going so far as to have it as a major theme or point in regards to its story and its effect on the characters, it was kind of strange then how the later work pretty much ignores it. In Gunbuster you had characters going out to the other planets and years worth of time was seemingly lost to them when compared to the characters on Earth. In Diebuster you have characters hopping from planet to planet and even beyond without any apparent effects. Even the giant space monster at the end that was using a black hole as its energy source. It was so big that there would be a time dilation effect from one end of its body to the other but there's nothing of the sort there either.

On its own I think it works fine as it's pretty much like most other science fiction themed works that ignore that type of thing most likely for practicality and putting entertainment over reality. The way it so heavily factored into the first though I couldn't help but think of it. Not only that but the way Diebuster ties into Gunbuster right at the very end just made that caparison even more pronounced. There really isn't even any kind of mention or lamp-shading towards this and how it was seemingly overcome.

---

Not a comparison between the works here but knowing what "being a Nonoriri" means now it seems there's some mixed messaging going on there perhaps. The idea of the Nonoriri was more that one can achieve anything they want through hard work, determination and guts. Nono even has her (rather actually awesome entrance in episode/OVA 4) where she mentions it was a mistake to look for a Gunbuster but rather should have seen the power of the Gunbuster within herself.

During the show however we see the human fleet a few times get beaten back and have to rely on the power of the Gunbusters or Nono. I wonder if the message was maybe more aimed at youth perhaps? That not humans in general but younger people are the ones who will prevail through this "hard work and guts"? You'll notice that the fleets are more manned by adults where the Gunbuster pilots are younger. There's even the plot point that it's only younger people who can pilot the Gunbusters and when you reach a certain age you can't pilot them anymore. This seems counter to the whole just keep going and believe in yourself type message. At the end Lal'C does pilot Dix-Neuf without her topless powers but at the same time she still needs to rely on the powers of an external Gunbuster to do anything.

Overall I still liked the show and would recommend it but these are just some of the thoughts that came to mind that I'd thought I'd discuss. Thanks for reading.

I didn't mind Asuna until she suddenly lost her balls.

"Yes, I will let Heathcliff say what I can and cannot do. He has a legitimate ownership of my life.
Yes, I will let Kirito fight Heathcliff for me. It's not I'm a competent swordswoman in my own right who was supposed to be Kirito's equal. Here, let me just lock the birdcage behind me. It's not a kitchen, but it's the next best place for a member of the weaker sex like me!"

They try to explain it as her tough act so nobody would get close to her as she was considering just
offing herself
. But all bad plot aside I was REALLY into the cheesy romance and cool battle animations, I genuinely enjoyed how stanky cheese the first half was.

Then anime was all NOPE. INCEST YO. MY SISTER HAS BEEN ACTING UNUSUAL AKA SHE WANTS MA DICK SON.

Jintor

They try to explain it as her tough act so nobody would get close to her as she was considering just
offing herself
. But all bad plot aside I was REALLY into the cheesy romance and cool battle animations, I genuinely enjoyed how stanky cheese the first half was.

Then anime was all NOPE. INCEST YO. MY SISTER HAS BEEN ACTING UNUSUAL AKA SHE WANTS MA DICK SON.

woah woah woah, what SAO were you watching? what battles? they skipped most of them. The ones they didn't looked terrible.

woah woah woah, what SAO were you watching? what battles? they skipped most of them. The ones they didn't looked terrible.

If we start comparing choreography and battle expectations with everything then most battles would lose to Fate Zero and Ben-to!

I was speaking on how well animated the battles. Not to their level of coolness. They put in dat budget for the battles.

CorvoSol

Diebuster

--
--Note: The following contains spoilers for both Diebuster as well as Gunbuster. Read at your own discretion!--
--

---

Not a comparison between the works here but knowing what "being a Nonoriri" means now it seems there's some mixed messaging going on there perhaps. The idea of the Nonoriri was more that one can achieve anything they want through hard work, determination and guts. Nono even has her (rather actually awesome entrance in episode/OVA 4) where she mentions it was a mistake to look for a Gunbuster but rather should have seen the power of the Gunbuster within herself.

During the show however we see the human fleet a few times get beaten back and have to rely on the power of the Gunbusters or Nono. I wonder if the message was maybe more aimed at youth perhaps? That not humans in general but younger people are the ones who will prevail through this "hard work and guts"? You'll notice that the fleets are more manned by adults where the Gunbuster pilots are younger. There's even the plot point that it's only younger people who can pilot the Gunbusters and when you reach a certain age you can't pilot them anymore. This seems counter to the whole just keep going and believe in yourself type message. At the end Lal'C does pilot Dix-Neuf without her topless powers but at the same time she still needs to rely on the powers of an external Gunbuster to do anything.

I think the difference between Nono and Lal'c's development in this sense is the lessons they needed to learn. Nono needed to learn that she herself was powerful, and that she herself was worth something. Lal'c, on the other hand, needed to learn to rely on others rather than herself, since the whole show Lal'c had known that she was badass on her own. Moreover I think that the Gunbuster machines count as extensions of the protagonists, rather than external might. Nono's fleet is her buster machine extension, and Dix Neuf is Lal'c's, but both are ultimately just representations of the girls themselves.

offing herself

Wait how does a tough act explain like, all of her behavior? Like, that doesn't explain why she puts up with Heathcliff's shit at all.

That feel when the live-action AoT will look better than the anime.
#TeamReal will always win.

Maybe this time the people shitting themselves on screen will seem genuinely afraid instead of painful, obnoxious caricatures. Honestly I don't blame the people rooting for the Titans, 'cuz humanity was just plain annoying in AoT.

Goddamn CGI Dragons, man.

Wait how does a tough act explain like, all of her behavior? Like, that doesn't explain why she puts up with Heathcliff's shit at all..

I'm not saying it explains it for all of us, I just said that was their explanation. Supposedly she was following Kirito's advice of joining a guild and staying there to increase her chances of beating the game and/or surviving. I assume she was putting up with it because we all have shit we don't like doing for the sake of going forward in life. Like dealing with a shitty boss or coworker.

This is all my assumption though. I'm not saying it WASN'T crap

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 33

Failing makes you a hobo, or make you percieve that a normal life equates to being a hobo.

Despite being an actor, your friends can see right through your fake smiles. But hey, character growth.

Diebuster

Good review! I'm glad you liked it, I've come to enjoy seeing how other people perceive and link these two shows.

Diebuster
One thing that readily came to mind to me in that regard was the topic of time dilation. With the earlier work not only having it present but going so far as to have it as a major theme or point in regards to its story and its effect on the characters, it was kind of strange then how the later work pretty much ignores it. In Gunbuster you had characters going out to the other planets and years worth of time was seemingly lost to them when compared to the characters on Earth. In Diebuster you have characters hopping from planet to planet and even beyond without any apparent effects. Even the giant space monster at the end that was using a black hole as its energy source. It was so big that there would be a time dilation effect from one end of its body to the other but there's nothing of the sort there either.

This is one of the things that stood out the most to me while I was watching it and one of the things that brought my opinion of the show down, probably due to watching Gunbuster right before Diebuster. The use of time in Gunbuster was one of my favourite factors and thought it worked really well, I was looking forward to see how they would have improved on that many years later but was left feeling a little disappointed by the lack of it.

Diebuster
At the end Lal'C does pilot Dix-Neuf without her topless powers but at the same time she still needs to rely on the powers of an external Gunbuster to do anything.

You know, I never thought about it like that. It's a really interesting interpretation on it.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! 47

Gotta admit, didn't see Masquerade coming out of nowhere to perform like that. I imagine Headmistress knew that Mizuki was running on low.

Oh and Ichigo finds out what they made obvious to the viewer a while ago.

Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan! 34

Fairies can get sick afterall! Or at least that's what Precure has taught me.

Otherwise, it's more backstory for Baba, in where she's actually not a complete hard ass for Oy! Cola.

God damn it Hana, why would you heat up soda? I wonder if there will be more shifts in their dynamics with Baba though. Oh well. Two vines left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom