• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Buddy Complex 1-3

Sunrise wasn't mincing words when they advertised this as "orthodox robot action". It's extremely basic in premise and execution, and I probably wouldn't watch more if I wasn't just the slightest bit invested in knowing how the
time paradox
situation plays out. It's stuck in that drab ghetto between real robot and super robot where "real" mecha are sexed up with the same old supercharged glowy bits and psychic connections; a homogenized distillation of once-intriguing and well-implemented concepts from long-ago mecha series that have converged into a standardized techno-mush that a mostly-dead genre feeds upon because it is either out of good ideas or unwilling to gamble on them.

Combat is as uninspiring as the mecha themselves, with no decent choreography, too many quick cuts, indistinct allies and enemies, tons of barfy shaky cam, and a combination of bad bitrate during action scenes, mandatory dimming during bright scenes, and ugly-looking "heat wave" filter around the propulsion jets that muddies everything happening on screen. It's also slapped with the colorful cheap plastic color palette that's been the standard for Sunrise since Gundam AGE. Aoba is a "typical high school male" viewer insert doofus, and the supporting cast is equally mold-cast and perfunctory. Like, none of it is actively bad or anything, but if you've seen any mecha anime, you've already seen most of Buddy Complex.

It's not that Strike Witches was bad per se.

It's that it was so not good that it gave me cancer. And I had to quit my job as a teacher and become a meth cooker. But I didn't know how to distribute so I had to join up with a previous student of mine. And then we- wait I feel like my situation may have happened before to someone else.

wBBc2Jy.jpg

survivor

Banned
Evangelion 2

Despite this being the episode where the inexperienced pilot activates special powers to show his awesome mecha powers, it ended up being inoffensive and pretty good. Also there sure were a lot of crosses in this episode, dat pointless religious symbolism.

CorvoSol

Tessa is at worst second for me. Which is why I think I'm not one begging for more FMP given what i'd heard of the rest of the story.

Obviously you've heard the wrong things, then! Tessa improves considerably after the end of the anime because
Sousuke tells her he does not love her the way he does Kaname, causing Tessa to cut the string that was holding her back and become one badass sea captain hellbent on beating the shit out of her brother's army.
Also if you'd read the right things you'd realize they add two more girls into the mix. One is okay because she gives us a sexy new mech. The other is Nami, who is the absolute worst girl in FMP.

Buddy Complex 1-3

Sunrise wasn't mincing words when they advertised this as "orthodox robot action". It's extremely basic in premise and execution, and I probably wouldn't watch more if I wasn't just the slightest bit invested in knowing how the
time paradox
situation plays out. It's stuck in that drab ghetto between real robot and super robot where "real" mecha are sexed up with the same old supercharged glowy bits and psychic connections; a homogenized distillation of once-intriguing and well-implemented concepts from long-ago mecha series that have converged into a standardized techno-mush that a mostly-dead genre feeds upon because it is either out of good ideas or unwilling to gamble on them.

Combat is as uninspiring as the mecha themselves, with no decent choreography, too many quick cuts, indistinct allies and enemies, tons of barfy shaky cam, and a combination of bad bitrate during action scenes, mandatory dimming during bright scenes, and ugly-looking "heat wave" filter around the propulsion jets that muddies everything happening on screen. It's also slapped with the colorful cheap plastic color palette that's been the standard for Sunrise since Gundam AGE. Aoba is a "typical high school male" viewer insert doofus, and the supporting cast is equally mold-cast and perfunctory. Like, none of it is actively bad or anything, but if you've seen any mecha anime, you've already seen most of Buddy Complex.

I resent this comment! Mecha's not dead, it's just been infected with bullshit CGI mecha and trapped between people desperately trying to recreate Gundam and EVA. Rinne was solid, and Build Fighters, in spite of being a show DEDICATED TO APING GUNDAM is a refreshing premise filled with some of the best animation the genre has seen in ages.

For every five horrible shitty mecha shows that come out these days we still get at least one solid one a year. Mecha might be unwell, but it's hardly dying.

Full Metal Panic! 16

A bunch of backstory for Sousuke, as well as some about Zaied, and the parallels that come with it.
Grace offers to let Sousuke join her team, but if you know this arc doesn't exist in the books, you can already guess how that turns out!

Also we get to see what it's like for Tessa, stuck sitting in her office waiting impatiently to hear if her soldier makes it out of a hell hole or not. I'm definitely appreciating Tessa a lot more this go around.

Mature

Flowers of Evil 2

The animation in this is still really ugly. I think part of the problem is that the cost-cutting techniques anime likes to use don't work as well with rotoscoping; it's not an ideal technique to mix with limited animation. I mean there were a couple of times I thought the video froze because they just held a single frame of animation for a few seconds before everyone started moving again. It's such a contrast to the beautiful background art.

Kasuga is probable the worst criminal of all time. Legit shook by everything. Nagahama is very skilled at portraying the subjective mood of a pretentious teenager who views his normal town as an unenlightened hell.
I'd say this specific problem gets better as the show goes on. I didn't notice it much later on.

I hate the ending song.
Urk. I love it... Especially when it comes in early.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
But if you're Yoshika you'll be too busy healing birds to attend.

I think you took that one way more seriously than it was intended to be. It was just a silly Breaking Bad reference.

Gazoinks

Urk. I love it... Especially when it comes in early.

Yeah! The way they fade it in is really unsettling. And yeah, the rotoscoping definitely gets a bit better. Although I will say that I kind of like the ugliness of it, as I feel like it makes everything feel more uncomfortable.

Quasar

Obviously you've heard the wrong things, then! Tessa improves considerably after the end of the anime because
Sousuke tells her he does not love her the way he does Kaname, causing Tessa to cut the string that was holding her back and become one badass sea captain hellbent on beating the shit out of her brother's army.
Also if you'd read the right things you'd realize they add two more girls into the mix. One is okay because she gives us a sexy new mech. The other is Nami, who is the absolute worst girl in FMP.

What I thought I heard was that Kaname blows her brains out.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
But if you're Yoshika you'll be too busy healing birds to attend.

I think you took that one way more seriously than it was intended to be. It was just a silly Breaking Bad reference.

I seriously, seriously, seriously despise that meme. It's enormously disrespectful to anyone who's ever actually seen it happen to someone.

CorvoSol

What I thought I heard was that Kaname blows her brains out.

You have obviously heard the wrong things and should check out Full Metal Panic! Sigma.

Full Metal Panic! 17

We interrupt this brutal
slaughter of Sousuke's team
to bring you this homoerotic flashback of child-soldiers playing in the river!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
K-ON!!-23

Did this take place in the early '90s? Who the fuck uses an actual tape player nowadays?
They only do it because of Sawa-chan's band.

(Also, if KyoAni really is desperate, they should just do a K-On prequel with Sawako and her metal band).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just because you use Sherlock references doesn't make you a Sherlock show.
It's about an anti-social self-obsessed genius and his hopeless lackey.

Although, probably the only difference between Hyouka and other recent Sherlock adaptations is that
Oreki is actually sympathetic to other people, as we see when he almost beats down Satoshi for screwing around with Mayaka

Jarmel

Banned
It's about an anti-social self-obsessed genius and his hopeless lackey.

Although, probably the only difference between Hyouka and other recent Sherlock adaptations is that
Oreki is actually sympathetic to other people, as we see when he almost beats down Satoshi for screwing around with Mayaka

And that's pretty much the only thing it has in common. The tone, setting, types of mysteries, set up and even the character flaws are different. Their reasons for being antisocial are completely different for example. Sherlock was definitely an influence but that's as far as it goes.

Evangelion 2

Despite this being the episode where the inexperienced pilot activates special powers to show his awesome mecha powers, it ended up being inoffensive and pretty good. Also there sure were a lot of crosses in this episode, dat pointless religious symbolism.

Oh man. Keep going. It gets weird and the more that's explained the weirder it gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom