• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Evangelion 2

Despite this being the episode where the inexperienced pilot activates special powers to show his awesome mecha powers, it ended up being inoffensive and pretty good. Also there sure were a lot of crosses in this episode, dat pointless religious symbolism.

That's what you think.

Jarmel

Banned
Yes GBF has mechas, nobody is denying that. However when I'm referring to a mecha show, I'm talking about the subgenre within that genre (if you will). I'm talking about shows where the pilot is directly controlling the machine, in a somewhat serious situation, and the focus of the show is largely around the machines (such as powerups or specs stuff). GBF follows more of the sports/toy conventions.

Take for example Patlabor, I wouldn't really view it as a mecha show because the focus isn't so much on the mechs but rather the human characters. Patlabor is more of a police show than anything involving the machines. Gargantia is another example in that the focus of the show isn't about the machines but the characters.

fertygo

Because I didn't have the guts to say it considering how people just ooze love for the show. Genuinely though I was the only one who didn't see why it was so praised as a mech show when it's structured as a childrens 'toy' game.

This is dumb, like Corvo.. I can't ignore this.

Its a spin-off of the most popular mecha anime in existence, its using the properties (read: mech) of the series and all the trope, and its not "mecha" show?

And you implying show for "kids" isn't allowed to being identified in the sub-genre is stupid, forgetting the origin of the mecha itself started for aiming those audience.

EDIT : Oh please.. what a obvious backpedal

Evangelion 2

Despite this being the episode where the inexperienced pilot activates special powers to show his awesome mecha powers, it ended up being inoffensive and pretty good. Also there sure were a lot of crosses in this episode, dat pointless religious symbolism.

you have no idea how wrong you are
but you will
oh you will
MWHAHAHAHAHAHA

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Duckroll's victory is just a horrible, adolescent phase mecha is going through.

He owes, owes me watching Happiness Charge week to week now that the monster he unleashed has finally decided to consume my preferred genre of choice.

Jarmel

Banned
Between cigarettes and mecha, this thread has gotten rather heated this weekend.

IMG_3595.jpg

This is dumb, like Corvo.. I can't ignore this.

Its a spin-off of the most popular mecha anime in existence, its using the properties (read: mech) of the series and all the trope, and its not "mecha" show?

And you implying show for "kids" isn't allowed to being identified in the sub-genre is stupid, forgetting the origin of the mecha itself started for aiming those audience.

EDIT : Oh please.. what a obvious backpedal

What back-pedal? That comment was based on Corvo's reply over my Yu Gi Oh comment in which I posted a spoilered 'lol' as I was kidding with the comparison. Jesus guys you really ARE trying to incite a heated argument over my agreeing that I can't enjoy it as a mech show because it's structured the same way as Beyblade or the plethora of Yu Gi Oh shows. That was it. I'm not part of this argument? Obviously I don't care enough about the genre as you guys so I'm not about to argue over it. I've had my fill of serious anime arguments, no more for me as I don't enjoy getting aggressive over trivial stuff.

Dresden

First they came for the toys, and I said nothing because I wasn't a child. Then they came for the mecha, and I said nothing because I wasn't a... waitaminute

Kagami

strike witches
strike witches 2
vivdred operation
saki
saki side A
I couldn't become a hero, so I reluctantly decided to get a job.
OreImo
School Days
Colorful
Idol M@ster

This is a pretty good list.

For me:

TV series (includes all seasons):
SDF Macross
Maison Ikkoku
Martian Successor Nadesico
Code Geass
K-ON
Strike Witches
School Days
Ro-Kyu-Bu!
Haganai
Queen's Blade (TV + OVAs)

Movies and OVAs that stood out to me over the years:
Nausicaa
Gunbuster
K-ON!

My first post since November. I guess list topics are always easy to post into.
Still finishing fall season shows...maybe some day I will join y'all in the present.

fertygo

What back-pedal? That comment was based on Corvo's reply over my Yu Gi Oh comment in which I posted a spoilered 'lol' as I was kidding with the comparison. Jesus guys you really ARE trying to incite a heated argument over my agreeing that I can't enjoy it as a mech show because it's structured the same way as Beyblade or the plethora of Yu Gi Oh shows. That was it. I'm not part of this argument? Obviously I don't care enough about the genre as you guys so I'm not about to argue over it. I've had my fill of serious anime arguments, no more for me as I don't enjoy getting aggressive over trivial stuff.

I wouldn't say watermelon isn't a fruit because I don't like it tho.. oh wait.

He went to the meet the queen of england, in his fanciest mobile suit

He is the most interesting toy in the world

"Stay mecha my friends"

I wouldn't say watermelon isn't a fruit because I don't like it tho.. oh wait.

y52lmmx.gif

Should've rephrased it or actually written out what I meant to say, but it boils down to Jarmel's above post discussing sub-genres that tend to be associated with it. I was kidding around not really paying too close of attention at what I was writing, as I didn't think it would get such an aggressive (and now condescending) response. Boy what a morning.

wonzo

Banned
Magi 20-25 END

magi21.jpg

There's some really nice cuts of animation in this last stretch of episodes and whilst they're marred by the overall inconsistent production values and the utterly terrible use of music, nothing compares to just how fucking stupid the writing was for the finale. Now, bad endings in an anime series aren't anything new or shocking but what really makes this one sting is the existence of the incredibly well-written source material and the fact that all the changes were ultimately utterly pointless and served no real purpose other than to make things shittier.

It's so offensively bad that I now have this image of Yoshino smearing his own shit over the original, as if to making his own little shitmanga filled with brand new shit pages, shit panels, and shit lines made of shit, and then just taking that and using it as the basis for his shitscript with the leftover fecal matter. It's just…

fuck.

Jarmel

Banned
Magi 20-25 END

It's so offensively bad that I now have this image of Yoshino smearing his own shit over the original, as if to making his own little shitmanga filled with brand new shit pages, shit panels, and shit lines made of shit, and then taking that and using that as the basis for his shitscript with whatever fecal matters leftover. It's just…

fuck.

So I take it you enjoyed your time with Magi.

Theonik

Ara Ara.

Stop trying to get me to watch this show.
Just wait for the movie to get subbed and watch that instead. The series is bad save for its start and ending.

Nope, AnimeGAF Pairings List will forever hold this title.
No, the Kayos fanfic will instead.

That's a Pikaloo not a Pikapuff.

I hate the ending song.
The ED song is probably the one redeeming feature of the anime for me.

Pancakes
hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
(Today, 12:13 AM)
This combined with the Tamamo pictures has become... Interesting. I'll be right back.

K-ON!!-23

Did this take place in the early '90s? Who the fuck uses an actual tape player nowadays?
It's not that they use it. You can still find them around virtually anywhere, even today.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A twist on the formula I enjoyed as well is that the sister, who represents Mycroft, is both the more outgoing one (Sherlock) AND as of the first show the better at connecting dots. While Oreki who is Sherlock acts more like Mycroft does and is not as perceptive as his sister. Though
they do show hints he has the capabilities but he's so lazy and rags on himself so much that he doesn't fully realize his capabilities yet. I mean what he did on the episode he figures out everything from the PA announcement was brilliant
He's smart, but made inferior because of the whole Film arc, which his sister set up in the first place. That said, I don't really know much about Mycroft in the books, so all my representations of him come from the various modern adaptations of the text. I presume he's a smarter, bastardier version of Sherlock. lol

House is a narcissistic drug-addled asshole, very much in line with the original Sherlock. Oreki is a lazy bum with self esteem issues. Then there is also the type of mysteries House solves, mainly those of life and death. House as a show is very serious and tense (or at least tries to be) most of the time.
Yeah, but if you place Sherlock in a highschool, you're just not going to have those same stakes. He's not a doctor or a cop, and given that pot is a jailable offence, no one even jokes about casual drug use in anime. At the very least, and at the time I made this same analogy, the mysteries are really not the point of the show. They spend a lot of time solving the mysteries, in the same way that House does, but the puzzle and the solution really aren't the point.

Also, randomly offensive and controversial contemporary Sherlock Holmes adaptation rankings:
Elementary > Hyouka > House > Moffat Sherlock > Guy Richie Sherlock.

lol

sonicmj1

Yes GBF has mechas, nobody is denying that. However when I'm referring to a mecha show, I'm talking about the subgenre within that genre (if you will). I'm talking about shows where the pilot is directly controlling the machine, in a somewhat serious situation, and the focus of the show is largely around the machines (such as powerups or specs stuff). GBF follows more of the sports/toy conventions.

Take for example Patlabor, I wouldn't really view it as a mecha show because the focus isn't so much on the mechs but rather the human characters. Patlabor is more of a police show than anything involving the machines. Gargantia is another example in that the focus of the show isn't about the machines but the characters.

Giant Robo: Not a mecha show?

Ideally, any story is about the characters on some level. You could even make Eva sound like a non-mecha show by that definition.

Perhaps the lesson here is that genre classification is dumb.

He's smart, but made inferior because of the whole Film arc, which his sister set up in the first place. That said, I don't really know much about Mycroft in the books, so all my representations of him come from the various modern adaptations of the text. I presume he's a smarter, bastardier version of Sherlock. lol

I'm not going to say I'm the Mycroft expert as I haven't read the novels but from the movies, BBC show and explanations of friends I've gathered: Mycroft is much more perceptive, if not more intelligent, than Sherlock and if he put in the effort he'd be a much better detective than Sherlock. But he's so extremely lazy that he doesn't put in the effort (Oreki). Hence why it's a bit unfair that they made the sister in Hyouka the more perceptive and the outgoing famous one, as the balance between Mycroft and Sherlock was that one actually put in the effort to go outside while the other was a couch potato.

I mean not like complaining is gonna do anything since I'll never see a second season of Hyouka. I'm sure we'll get up to season 5 of K-ON and season 27 of Chuunibyou: Chuu chuu train

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not going to say I'm the Mycroft expert as I haven't read the novels but from the movies, BBC show and explanations of friends I've gathered: Mycroft is much more perceptive, if not more intelligent, than Sherlock and if he put in the effort he'd be a much better detective than Sherlock. But he's so extremely lazy that he doesn't put in the effort (Oreki). Hence why it's a bit unfair that they made the sister in Hyouka the more perceptive and the outgoing famous one, as the balance between Mycroft and Sherlock was that one actually put in the effort to go outside while the other was a couch potato.

I mean not like complaining is gonna do anything since I'll never see a second season of Hyouka. I'm sure we'll get up to season 5 of K-ON and season 27 of Chuunibyou: Chuu chuu train

Well, I would say that the Elementary version of Mycroft is much like Hyouka then. In fact, that version, I would say, is very outgoing (without spoiling anything!).

Maybe when they run out of ideas, they'll have Oreki take off his shirt and join a swim team in an all new original anime.

Jarmel

Banned
Giant Robo: Not a mecha show?

Ideally, any story is about the characters on some level. You could even make Eva sound like a non-mecha show by that definition.

Perhaps the lesson here is that genre classification is dumb.

Genre classification is always dumb as it usually depends on a person's particular conventions. I'm just swirling this around as it's 4 in the morning and I'm too awake to go to sleep.

I was actually thinking about that already. Not really, similar to how I wouldn't view GITS as a mecha show either. Yes I'm aware how important Giant Robo is to the mecha genre as a whole, and this sounds like sacrilege.

You gotta filter it somehow. Is every show with a robot in it mecha? Would you consider KLK mecha or Space Dandy mecha? Do you limit yourself to bipedal human shaped robots? How much attention does it matter inside the show? What if the robot has an AI in it but if it's human shaped (such as Chamber but without a human cockpit in it)?

I fully admit, I'm using bullshit conventions to filter what I arbitrarily view as a mecha show in my head. After thinking about it, I guess the best definition I can come up with is a show with continual strong emphasis on robots, separate from exoskeletons, directly piloted by humans.

I ask this for the sake of argument and I want to emphasize it before somebody takes it as a passive aggressive joke (no more misunderstandings for today):

Can Attack on Titan be considered as having Mecha inspiration? You know what I mean if you've seen it.

Jex

Is Evangelion really a mecha show?

This is just a bad path to walk down. Genre definitions = failtown. As soon as you attempt to lay something down in a concrete way twenty examples will pop up that mess with your pet definition.

This is why the American constitution is so loose and vague!

Jarmel

Banned

This is just a bad path to walk down. Genre definitions = failtown. As soon as you attempt to lay something down in a concrete way twenty examples will pop up that mess with your pet definition.

I've heard the argument in person before that no it wasn't actually. Some guy was arguing that because the 'robots' are really organic, Eva isn't a mech show. I'm not that crazy or strict enough though to go down that road.

What the hell is Tekkaman then?

See, thing should just keep simple.

A big difference between exoskeletons and mechs at least for me, is how covered you are. If a big chunk of your normal body is visible, then it's straight out an exoskeleton. Now if your body is completely enclosed then it becomes more of a gray area. However the stuff in Elysium for example is an exoskeleton.

Edit:Actually it's not that hard to define. Is there a dedicated piloting section? No, then exoskeleton. The Iron Man suit is an exoskeleton for example because of the lack of a pilot cabin.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm watching Episode 24 of K-ON!! and something that struck me is that despite how common the high school setting is in anime, I think this is the first time I've seen someone graduate. It's some Van Wilder type shit.

cajunator

Banned

This is why the American constitution is so loose and vague!

Well a lot of anime defies genre definition. What genre is haibane renmei? Kinos journey? Welcome to the nhk? A lot is tough to define even in the supposed mech subject matter. I dont like it either because shows stand on their own and dont require strict terms as a reason to be.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RE: mecha

The School of the Undefeated of the East!
The Winds of the King!
Zenshin!
Keiretsu!
Tenpa kyoran!
Look! The East is Burning Red!

Jex

[Nisekoi] - 3

Now that we've gotten three episodes in, the production values are lowering to their usual SHAFT-levels, as is to be expected. It's still a pretty okay show, I guess.

fertygo

I

A big difference between exoskeletons and mechs at least for me, is how covered you are. If a big chunk of your normal body is visible, then it's straight out an exoskeleton. Now if your body is completely enclosed then it becomes more of a gray area. However the stuff in Elysium for example is an exoskeleton.

Edit:Actually it's not that hard to define. Is there a dedicated piloting section? No, then exoskeleton. The Iron Man suit is an exoskeleton for example because of the lack of a pilot cabin.

You're not digging deep enough brah..
uJIs3k6.png

The Valsione is a very distinctive mecha, with its female body styling, complete with long, colorful "hair". The Valsione's face is also protected by a covering that resembles human skin, and capable of changing its expressions to match those of its pilot. This makes the Valsione resemble a giant girl in armor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0nqfQmjv74

I think thing shouldn't be that complicated, especially if we talking about anime.

Say, let say if Infinite Stratos actually use hand-drawn animator and not CG, I bet its gonna be traditional mecha animator job to handle.

Thoraxes

Chihayafuru - 04

Arata
noooooooo, what happened to you? Come back to the light side! Ta-kun, ditch that ho.
I'm glad Chihaya did well though, and
eating all the chocolates was super cute. Sensei is still awesome too, him joking about Taichi's pubes being smaller than his eyebrows was pretty funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom