• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

What the hell is Tekkaman then?

See, I've never thought of Tekkaman (well, 90s Tekkaman - never seen the original) as a mecha show. To me he was always a superhero with armour on - a little like sci-fi Saint Seiya (not in terms of plot structure or anything, but hopefully you know what I mean). Yes, Pegas was in it, but hardly a defining factor of the show.

Jarmel

Banned
You're not digging deep enough brah..
uJIs3k6.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0nqfQmjv74

I think thing shouldn't be that complicated, especially if we talking about anime.

Say, let say if Infinite Stratos actually use hand-drawn animator and not CG, I bet its gonna be traditional mecha animator job to handle.

That's still an exoskeleton. The Iron Man suit isn't a mecha for the same reason.

Jex

Oh yeah, another thing about Nisekoi episode 3 - SHAFT's level of incompetence is off the charts in one key area. Do you remember Nisekoi episode 2? Apparently SHAFT don't. Here's how Onodera appeared towards the end of that episode:

shafted12lznr.png

At the start of the third episode Ichijou 'remembers' his conversation with Onodera and she looks like this:

shafted2i0xzh.png

Well, that can't be right can it? Not only wasn't she wearing that key but the fact that Onodera has a key is something of a plot point and something that Ichijou doesn't even know yet. So perhaps it was just a minor animation error? Oh wait:

shafted3mjlul.png

That's right, they cut to a zoom in on the key he doesn't know she has and that she wasn't wearing in that scene last episode. Bravo. They can't even flashabck without fucking it up.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh yeah, another thing about Nisekoi episode 3 - SHAFT's level of incompetence is off the charts in one key area. Do you remember Nisekoi episode 2? Apparently SHAFT don't. Here's how Onodera appeared towards the end of that episode:
Bravo.

Oops. Maybe it's commentary on how Ichijou is blind.

Conan-san

shafted12lznr.png

At the start of the third episode Ichijou 'remembers' his conversation with Onodera and she looks like this:

shafted2i0xzh.png

Well, that can't be right can it? Not only wasn't she wearing that key but the fact that Onodera has a key is something of a plot point and something that Ichijou doesn't even know yet. So perhaps it was just a minor animation error? Oh wait:

shafted3mjlul.png

That's right, they cut to a zoom in on the key he doesn't know she has and that she wasn't wearing in that scene last episode. Bravo. They can't even flashabck without fucking it up.

Can we just hope they're goign for the jugluar and aiming to get this done before the Jump Rot sets in?

fertygo

That's still an exoskeleton. The Iron Man suit isn't a mecha for the same reason.

Valsione does have an pilot (fuck yes I have excuse to post Lune in here)

TvZb7YX.png

Note she not transformed or anything, she pilot the thing mechanically from traditional cockpit like you mentioned. Its an 25 meter robot.

And I'll argue Iron Man is an mech if we using anime standard, he have intricate armor-like design, use sci-fi technology, and mecha animator work for his animation.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right now yes. Later....
Arata is even better later on.

I'm watching Episode 24 of K-ON!! and something that struck me is that despite how common the high school setting is in anime, I think this is the first time I've seen someone graduate. It's some Van Wilder type shit.
Tamayura and Hidasketch this year! Graduation is a thing now!

http://abload.de/img/shafted12lznr.png

http://abload.de/img/shafted2i0xzh.png

http://abload.de/img/shafted3mjlul.png

Oh jesus. lol
I take it the ramen slaves don't really care about continuity. Oh well, they'll fix it on disc?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The shot was from Ichijou's perspective. Its absence in the first scene is simply symbolic of his lack of attention, reappearing only when he takes the time to revisit the scene with more attention to detail.

Ichijiu's dementia-like memory is a recurring theme in Nisekoi.

Jarmel

Banned
Valsione does have an pilot (fuck yes I have excuse to post Lune in here)

TvZb7YX.png

Note she not transformed or anything, she pilot the thing mechanically from traditional cockpit like you mentioned. Its an 25 meter robot.

And I'll argue Iron Man is an mech if we using anime standard, he have intricate armor-like design, use sci-fi technology, and mecha animator work for his animation.

Then I'm mistaken, as that would be a mecha. I thought the size was more normal so she would just slip in.

It's clear that we have different definitions of mechs if you want to include Iron Man in there.

Tamayura and Hidasketch this year! Graduation is a thing now!

All dem nostalgia feels.

Jex

The shot was from Ichijou's perspective. Its absence in the first scene is simply symbolic of his lack of attention, reappearing only when he takes the time to revisit the scene with more attention to detail.

Oh but of course! Based SHAFT, why would I ever doubt you?

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Ichijiu's dementia-like memory is a recurring theme in Nisekoi.
Given what you guys have said about the manga, I really can't tell if you're lying or not.

duckroll

Magi S2 - Episode 16

Hw0yyEI.jpg

DTL lied, ep17 died.

This episode was pretty heavily outsourced, and the character art suffered quite a bit at times. But other than that, it was still a pretty good adaptation. There's some pretty nice music selection too. It's pretty amazing how different the music selection feels in this season compared to the first season. Less bombastic, more fitting, just better all round.

The way they've handled the Titus story arc is pretty solid. It has all the feels of the original manga. It's funny how there's only one thing they omitted in this episode, and it's the Zemi selection process. Losing it didn't really matter, since it actually helped the pace along, but it reminded me of what a big deal we thought it was during the manga arc, and all the hype and tension there was in haly's big betting game. Those were good times. Lol.

cajunator

Banned
McMXLbJ.gif

Kancoooolle

thats not Kurumi at all. No.

That's a fair point, yes, but all the same. A non-smoker shouldn't have to change their life, the smoker should. It's hard, yes, but that's the way I see it. It's not the non-smoker's fault you breathe up poison air like some kind of dragon, after all.

But this really isn't the thread for more of this.

Back to anime.

Full Metal Panic! 7

This episode is the Arbalest's debut and what a debut! From chucking a tree into a Savage's face to firing a bullet out of sheer spite, there's a reason the Arbalest was my favorite mech prior to the Laevatein.

The Lambda Driver is introduced in this episode. It's basically a device that runs on Spiral Energy and transmutes that energy into physical, semi-material forms. Some people describe the energy that Lambda Drivers give off as being AT Fields, so there's that, too. The point is it runs on Shonen Heart and it's gonna be so badass to see it in SRWZ3.

Smoking is a personal choice yeah. I agree as a nonsmoker I shpuldnt have to be exposed to it but addiction is addicted. Smokers have to smoke somewherw. Personally im a proponent of e-cigs.

Space Battleship Yamada!
zKAiboB.gif

Woosh

This is the best Yamada by far.

Hagi

Berserk - 1

I really didn't care for the two studio 4C movies i watched so i decided a re watch of the original series was in order. Even with similar omissions this is just a better adaptation of the source material.

It's something i always notice but I'll never get over is how pleasing to the eye older series could be in terms of colour palette used and the way they lit scenes. I think someone in here made a comparison a while back between the original Ippo and the new series that illustrates what i mean.

But then we get into the suits that don't need Tony in them to function. I find the genre can be all encompassing.

Jarmel

Banned
But then we get into the suits that don't need Tony in them to function. I find the genre can be all encompassing.

Almost all of Tony's suits are designed for him to be in them, and if he's not, then there is AI or remote control. Otherwise they're just drones. Robots ain't inherently mechs.

cajunator

Banned
Almost all of Tony's suits are designed for him to be in them, and if he's not, then there is AI or remote control. Otherwise they're just drones. Robots ain't inherently mechs.

Theres a lot of ways to pilot a mech or a mech suit and different ways they feature into a show. Its just too variable so I throw everything under mech and generally have a good idea of what a show is like that way.

Hagi

The only difference to me between something like a mobile doll from Wing and one of Tony's Jarvis controlled suits is scale. I find powered armor fits pretty well under the mecha umbrella but everyone has their own viewpoints it's not really a static definition.

I'm watching Episode 24 of K-ON!! and something that struck me is that despite how common the high school setting is in anime, I think this is the first time I've seen someone graduate. It's some Van Wilder type shit.

They graduated in Azumanga Daioh as well.

There has been a lot of top ten topics as of late and the lists are quite unique and varied. So it made me curious and think, what are you guys' top ten favourite anime series/films?
No real order here:

1. Haibane Renmei
2. Madoka Magica
3. Azumanga Daioh
4. Bakemonogatari
5. Dennou Coil
6. Little Witch Academia
7. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
8. FLCL
9. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
10. " " Kai

cajunator

Banned
Looks like CR will be adding Robot Girls Z https://twitter.com/Project_Otaku/status/427236168342593536

P.S: http://www.robot-girlsz.com/topics/index.html#t25 the CD single tokutens are kinda nice looking

Good news. I can watch this now.

I maintain a 25 list I update occasionally, its at 15
11. Star Driver
12. Sekaiichi Hatsukoi
13. Karneval
14. Tsuritama
15. No. 6
16. Fafner of the Blue Sky
17. Sacred Seven
18. Kuroko's Basketball
19. Sket Dance
20. Death Note
21. Naruto
22. Neon Genesis Evangelion
23. Makai Ouji:Devils and Realist
24. Scryed
25. Angel Beats

Well you do have Tsuritama so thats great.

Well, posting in a "game censored for loli images" thread isn't even being outside the "safe zone," it's posting in a minefield with a timebomb strapped to your back. It only takes one misstep, LOL.

Or you can just be like that one guy and run screaming naked into the minefield.

ITs fun to go in there and say something like "the pictures are so cute" and then exit and watch the fireworks.

I don't even remember what the pairings are anymore :(

Im sure someone like Nafe has the post saved somewhere.

Some people have disliked her since episode 1 so that's not happening.

How can...how can ANYONE not like Mashiro? Thats like hating a puppy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Diamond no Ace Episode 16:

EH, not going to lie, this one kind of dragged fro me, mainly becasue I don't give a shit about Furiyama. Still, the idea here is quite sound, let him experience ultimate defeat so he can learn some damn ball control.

Hagi

Berserk - 02

Oh man i hate his stupid face. said:

Here we see Guts meet up with the anti christ and get a little insight into his horrific childhood.

I love the OST for this. It's a shame we don't really get any good serious fantasy/medieval type anime these days. It's a setting i really enjoy seeing used. Think I'll watch Record of Lodoss after i finish up this.

cajunator

Banned
Go 575 3
S0UJ9gsl.jpg

NoXHmoll.jpg

x1RcKXBl.jpg

Sigh, even in a 3 minute anime, they couldn't help themselves. I guess it was to be expected, given this season. :p

Edit: I blame SDBurton for all of this. :p

I havent heard of this but it looks like perhaps
I should watch it!

It's not really a mecha show though in structure and tone. It's a toy/sports show with mechs around it.

I kinda wish angelic Layer had a toy line like that. Would have been pretty neat.

Jarmel

Banned
So I realized I had skipped K-ON!-Live House and went back to watch it. Holy shit they improved the art for the 2nd season. Some of the character animation looks rough and the opening shot in the clubroom was a little shocking.

cajunator

Banned

shafted12lznr.png

shafted2i0xzh.png

shafted3mjlul.png

This looks very intentional if they went through the trouble of showing the key up close.
After seeing Satoshi Kon stuff I kind of like this illusionary oversight of details that might or might not be there.

To the surprise of absolutely no one.

They graduated in Azumanga Daioh as well.

Hidamari recently too. a few shows have done it. mostly longer running ones.

That's a fake first, because the order isn't real.

Its first in my heart.

Gunbuster 1- 6
What made me finally watch this was seeing it mentioned in that thread about animes with great endings, it did not disappoint.

This show sure did go through a lot; a show focusing on character development while also managing to up the scale to a galactic level in only 6 episodes is quite a feat, helped by the central use of time relativity which was great and not really seen in a lot of space anime. A truly touching and poignant show, really glad I watched it.

That shirt ripping scene in the end is one that's gonna stick with me, powerful.

Now on to Diebuster.

Chihayafuru - 04

Arata
noooooooo, what happened to you? Come back to the light side! Ta-kun, ditch that ho.
I'm glad Chihaya did well though, and
eating all the chocolates was super cute. Sensei is still awesome too, him joking about Taichi's pubes being smaller than his eyebrows was pretty funny.

He eventually does drop his girlfriend, and when he does, he does it like a boss.

Just FYI, in S2 Taichi's nickname from sensei is Eyelashes instead of Eyebrows, which is probably just a translation thing.

Theonik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom