• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai Flamenco 1

Decided to give this watch since it is all the rage here, and must say, I found this pretty hard to watch. The MC is just so embarrassing, and the cop just seems abnormally tolerant of it all. It doesn't help that the show looks really ugly, which sucks because the overall look is refreshing from all the High School.

Theonik

Evangelion 4
Some of the still frames in the show look really good when it has great looking backgrounds supporting them, but then you get silly frames like this that stays on for far too long and just ends up looking lazy and cheap.
Some of the Eva episodes are notorious about their still-frameness. Like 2k frames for the entire episode or less.

Does ICE have lesbian?
iF4uOdpjejM6z.gif

OceanBlue

Noragami - 4

I can see drawn-out gags like the ones in this episode getting on people's nerves, but I thought they were funny. It was an entertaining way of
introducing Kofuku
, even if it did take the entire episode lol. Also Toyosaki and Kugimiya appear and I think both of their characters fit their voices. I definitely prefer Kugimiya playing non-tsundere characters. Overall this is probably second favorite show of the season behind Inari.

Trigun 9
This priest is pretty cool though I don't think he is just a priest

You've just met best character. Assuming you're talking about Wolfwood

Samurai Flamenco 1

Decided to give this watch since it is all the rage here, and must say, I found this pretty hard to watch. The MC is just so embarrassing, and the cop just seems abnormally tolerant of it all. It doesn't help that the show looks really ugly, which sucks because the overall look is refreshing from all the High School.

This show is a rollercoaster. The few very good episodes don't outweigh the bad ones, and the animation is horrible. But I can't stop watching

Dokidoki lacks any sense of urgency, or even a sense that the conflicts are meaningful because as long as Aida Mana draws breath, nothing serious is actually going to happen. They flirt with giving the supporting cast independence, but never commit to this; the only time cast members feel like they have or had equal plot standing with Mana is when they are juxtaposed against Mana as some sort of rival(early Makopi, Regina in general, early Aguri).

Ai-chan is this living annoying MacGuffin that only existed to make the plot go this or that way, or to make the young girl target audience care about taking care of babies I guess.

I'd put the rogue's gallery for this one as above-average; they had a lot of personality and it was entertaining to watch their antics. But thanks to Mana they might as well have been toothless. Since Smile was a comparison a few posts ago, I'd say their rogues' gallery (even without Joker) is superior, because they had that level of personality and actually gave the impression that they were tough to beat on multiple occasions! Doki even tried to pull the same 'enemy is tripping on some unhealthy energy source to beat you' card with the Dark Rings and it was painfully lackluster.

Mana herself is a pretty terrible entity; literally the harem shipping is the only thing that makes her entertaining. She makes Matoi Ryuuko(KlK) look deep!

In fact, Subaru (Saint Seiya Omega) is a more believable Gary Stu than Mana is a Mary Sue. Heck, he actually has character development!

Dokidoki Precure is a good Precure show the same way that the hollywood G.I.Joe movies are objectively good. Sure, they had very entertaining parts, but top 3 material? Pass me some of dat Kool-Aid.

CorvoSol

The look on Hitomi's face is what really sells it, since that was my response. That entire scene is never addressed. Also, I hate to say this, but honestly after watching the entire thing I'm pretty sure that Hitomi and Julia were both men pretending to be women so no one would notice that they'd survived the apocalypse.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
All I'm saying is I never know where to judge your sense of taste. On the one hand, you liked Gunbuster and Diebuster so you're great. On the other hand, ICE, so I'm baffled.

SDBurton is truly a mystery wrapped inside of an omellette.

LOL

Noragami 4
This show's brand of comedy finally has a hold on me after this episode, SO GOOD.

Also bad things possible happening, a mysterious Kugimiya, and Miyukichi's character appears next episode. Best show of the season? Maybe.

In fact, Subaru (Saint Seiya Omega) is a more believable Gary Stu than Mana is a Mary Sue. Heck, he actually has character development!

Dokidoki Precure is a good Precure show the same way that the hollywood G.I.Joe movies are objectively good. Sure, they had very entertaining parts, but top 3 material? Pass me some of dat Kool-Aid.

Maybe i'll remove my statement of top 3 in couple of weeks but dokidoki is much much more intresting than max heart , yes! , gogo, suite .. that is without a freaking doubt.
Smile is void of interest aside from joker and cure peace. Majorina can be added too if one must.
Doesn't mean that smile is bad, but it's deeply flawed.

Subaru from sain seya omega is garbage character. I watched from 52 to 77 and i can't stop output all the problem his character has. Mana is at least much more integrated in her world and the world flow properly around her. It's very disapointing for some that mana stole the spotlight on every occasion and i can understand that but it's not a deal breaker for some. At least by making the character that broken on purpose , this season is much more intresting than the total boringness than smile was aside from some individual episodes that stood out.
i remeber when Ai arrived , people didn't wnat the baby to hogg all the spotlight ( like in that season ) and i'm actually glad it didn't , Ai is harmless and a good plot device for power-ups. Nothing else All the potential for growing up and help when to the fairies and they did their job , as opposed to plenty of them when they took a human form

If anything , even if dokidoki is not on the top 3 , it's certainly not on the bottom 4.

survivor

Banned
Some of the Eva episodes are notorious about their still-frameness. Like 2k frames for the entire episode or less.
Oh well, at least the battle animations are still good so if the characters don't move in the day to day events it's not a big deal.

Evangelion 5

It's weird that I already recognize the encounter of Shinji and Rei from other sources without even watching the show.

They said this is the 5th angel in this episode. Is that in total since Second Impact I guess? Cause I remember in the first episode they second there hasn't been an Angel attack for 15 years. Must be some reason why their frequency just increased lately.

Narag

Wizard Barristers 3

:lol @ the bathroom scene and eyecatch. Kinda eager to learn about the weird animal companions as they're hilarious. Also interested in the apparent corruption of this system.

Though the gunshot and shell casing hitting the floor was nice sound direction too.

Jex

Evangelion 4

Some of the still frames in the show look really good when it has great looking backgrounds supporting them, but then you get silly frames like this that stays on for far too long and just ends up looking lazy and cheap.

It's called symbolism.

Smile Generals were only tough to beat because the Smile Precures are laughibly incompetent as hell.

Anywho

Rikka >=Regina > Mana > Alice > MakoPi > Aguri

Heartcatch
Fresh
Splash Star
FW
Smile
Suite
Yes! 5
Doki
GoGo
Max Heart

Gazoinks

Wizard Barristers 3

Mr. Angst is an idiot.
Oh, hey, this woman who made a premeditated revenge killing? Gonna free her in this room of people she wants vengeance on.
His familiar is pretty great though.

Anyway, looks like we're getting into the overall plot now.

survivor

Banned
Phi brain S3- 17
Ah Ah Ah Ah ...
Orpheus is haxxor cheated ...

i'm laughing now ... they actually made a worthy opponent for a dream team composed of :
-kaito
-rook
-freecell
-ratsel
-gyamon

and they are all at a disadvantage.
Phi%20Brain%20-%20Kami%20no%20Puzzle%20S3%20-%2017.jpg

Dreamteam created , the 4 most cheated together won't be enough.
Clap clap , this is magnificent..another thing to note is that gyamon is seriously underpowered in this mess ... i don't even know why he bothered ( orpheus ) to include in the list seeing as
everyone saw the sequence , even melancholy but not gyamon
If the writters are doing something like a forshadowing , it would mean that this is his plan all along and i would laugh even harder if this is true.

As for orpheus ... what powers , he can only see & show but if he can manipulate he would be quite unstoppable. i'm not even sure how he can do this stuff... this is borderline illegal

But i'm now hyped as possible for the rest ( i was hyped last week but holy crap that was still superior to what i expected ) Orpheus is serious business and i love how all the complains from cubic are ditched by a " we don't know ".
Magnificent

Subaru from sain seya omega is garbage character. I watched from 52 to 77 and i can't stop output all the problem his character has. Mana is at least much more integrated in her world and the world flow properly around her.

I'll explain my reasoning here.

Yes, Subaru is by no means a good character. He has a lot of issues in a show that also has a lot of issues.

But he actually overcomes parts of his ego-centric attitude over time after watching the other cast members' heroics
(and essentially having multiple side-characters get themselves killed in part to protect him)
. And at the very least, you can take snapshots of his attitude early and late in the series and see that he has changed.

There is also an actual reason why he is at times more powerful than the cast at large, and while it is a get-out-of-jail free card, there are clearly strings attached (the OP essentially spells it out, but it is essentially the worst-kept secret ever even before that).

None of these things make him a good character, but they do make him as an individual easier to relate to or empathize with compared to Mana.

Mana is essentially a constant- she never develops as an individual because there literally is no reason for her to do so(she isn't perfect, but her character flaws are never dug into and the supporting cast essentially covers them at all times when needed), she is only rendered weak at times in a superficial way, and there is literally no reason for her to be as strong as she is, outside of 'being Aida Mana'.

She's a main character who is only entertaining after you give up the notion of relating or empathizing with her. I think it would actually take an antagonist on Joker's level to make her even seem human.

Nafe

I haven't seen the last episode of Doki Doki PreCure! yet but if people are going this nuts over Mana's Mary Sue like treatment, then I can only imagine the reactions next season when that Mahouka show airs.

---

For some laughs, I found out that The Geekbox forums really hated our 2012 AOTY list:
http://forums.geekbox.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=679&start=2880

lol

On the topic of AOTY I happened to see you guys put up your latest podcast a few days ago. I just gave it a quick listen and at first I thought maybe you had another guest speaker or something but skipping ahead to hear about your number 1 picks, I see it was just a quick sound clip of those Yamato YouTube videos you've talked about,haha.

Between cigarettes and mecha, this thread has gotten rather heated this weekend.

I don't even know anymore how many times this picture has described my feelings when reading the anime thread...

I'm sure someone like Nafe has the post saved somewhere.

I don't have it saved, no.

I'll explain my reasoning here.

Yes, Subaru is by no means a good character. He has a lot of issues in a show that also has a lot of issues.

But he actually overcomes parts of his ego-centric attitude over time after watching the other cast members' heroics
(and essentially having multiple side-characters get themselves killed in part to protect him)
. And at the very least, you can take snapshots of his attitude early and late in the series and see that he has changed.

There is also an actual reason why he is at times more powerful than the cast at large, and while it is a get-out-of-jail free card, there are clearly strings attached (the OP essentially spells it out, but it is essentially the worst-kept secret ever even before that).

None of these things make him a good character, but they do make him as an individual easier to relate to or empathize with compared to Mana.

Mana is essentially a constant- she never develops as an individual because there literally is no reason for her to do so(she isn't perfect, but her character flaws are never dug into and the supporting cast essentially covers them at all times when needed), she is only rendered weak at times in a superficial way, and there is literally no reason for her to be as strong as she is, outside of 'being Aida Mana'.

She's a main character who is only entertaining after you give up the notion of relating or empathizing with her. I think it would actually take an antagonist on Joker's level to make her even seem human.

i watched 25 episodes with subaru , and after 2 armor changes , his personality changed so little that it didn't matter . He had 2 arcs , each time someone died to give him a power-up and while he did change right after he got his power-up , he went back to his old habits again the episode afterwards !!!!!.

I've stopped at 77 ..i hope he changed but i've lost interest in the anime since then.( mainly because of him and the infamous badly produced episode)

As for his get-out-of-jail free card , that was so badly hinted that people knew his other side.
We knew and so many people knew ... when i stopped watching : koga ,kiki ,eden ,shinna and a bunch of other dudes were aware of it... i don't see how a "this was a hidden powerall along" is better than " i'm a perfect human" . At least in doki situation , the cards are on the table from the start .. and in SSO , subaru not only take a painfully long amount of time to become revelant , but he was killing perfectly good scenes for no reason. Sure dokidoki mana stole the spotlight for everyone , but this is much much better than having said spotlight turned off because some powerless dude want to eat more than he can digest EVERY FREAKING TIME.

For me the difference is simple ... one character can't get shit done, the other get shit done.And there is no need for a reason why aida mana is that good , from episode 1 , first scene , we're told that aida mana is "aida mana" , flawless , perfect , strong , standing against a monster of the week in human form ..i don't need a justification when this is the premise of the season. At least making her so much "perfect" justifies all the attention and the worship everyone has for her. regardless how it make other look , if you're strong enough to get shit done , you deserve all the worship you get.

Tenumi

Banned
DokiDoki Precure: 49 (END)

A weak ending to an otherwise strong finish.

The biggest issue DokiDoki had is something I like to call "Battlizer syndrome". The term Battlizer comes from Power Rangers, and it was a special power up that only the Red Ranger, aka the team leader, got. Only they could use it, and often it lead to making the rest of the team near useless. After all, why fight when Red can just whip out the Battlizer and show his superiority?

Mana was the lead of the show, and while she didn't have a "battlizer", so to speak
until the last episode
, it was obvious the show revolved around her. Her abilities often took the spotlight even when other characters were highlighted, and when they got a new, powerful item, it only served the rest of the team for a while to just power up Mana's attack.

I don't dislike DokiDoki. I just think it was a weaker season. Seeing as I'm not finished yet in my reverse watch of the Precure series, I'll rank what I have seen, from Best to Worst, in my opinion.

Heartcatch
Fresh
Smile
Suite
Yes Precure 5
DokiDoki
Yes Precure 5 GoGo

Tonari-no Seki-kun

Their dynamic is good and all, but I couldn't help getting mad at her this episode for
ratting out Seki-kun
because she was enthralled by the great shadow battle. How low can you go.

cnet128

Banned
Way way too many Onodera fans about.

You all make me sick. It's like rooting for Ano Natsu Ichika or TLR Haruna.

I don't know TLR, but I'd say rooting for Chitoge is more like rooting for Ichika in NatsuMachi.

Both Ichika and Chitoge are the lead female character who suddenly comes into the MC's life in a dramatic way in the first episode, is never going to go away and has a heavily inflated probability of winning because she's central to the show's main conceit (secret alien visitor / forced fake relationship), but is clearly inferior to the more ordinary best girl who's had feelings for the MC for a while (Kanna / Onodera).

On the one hand I'm slightly more forgiving of Chitoge fans than I am of Ichika fans because Chitoge is at least kind of cute, but on the other hand Onodera could be said to have more going for her than Kanna, because Kanna's feelings were always completely one-sided, whereas with Onodera they're entirely mutual and the two characters were clearly made for each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom