• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Sakura Trick
heard of good things, and it did not disappoint, these chicks did something that is alot more taboo so easily than 99% of anime guys do with their own harems.

Strike the Blood 16

Why the hell am I still watching this for. It's like a part of me wants this to end with him choosing a girl, another part of me REALLY wants this to be Majutsu no Index, and the last part of me realizes that neither of these things is possible but this side is losing to the other two. And the frustration of the third part is too much where it has grown depressed and started drinking.

CorvoSol

He's more referring to vehicles & planes, I think, where you had kids growing up drawing that shit all the time becoming animators who drew that shit all the time. Mechanical animation isn't in as much demand anymore either thanks to CG.

It always comes back to CG.

I mean passion for all things military in general, even fictionalized stuff like mecha.

I think there's sort of been a massive shift in the tone of mecha since its inception to the modern era, too, which could be part of it. Watching Getter Robo can be slow at times, but someone willing to pay enough attention to it can learn A LOT about Cold War era Japan.

Meanwhile, I dare say that Majestic Prince, Nobunaga the Fool, and what little I saw of Buddy Complex felt . . . shall we say, lacking in many ways by comparison. The Getter Robot is a military force for a Japan deprived of its own military, the Dinosaur Empire a foe Japan and only Japan can fight, and Getter Rays a scientific contribution to put them on the map.

Nobunaga the Fool is about how many times we can see a white lady's tits bounce in a single episode. Not all tone shifts for mecha have been bad. Gargantia felt like the old-school speculative sci fi, for instance, and the expansion of the genre has allowed mecha to be the vehicle by which all manner of stories can be told. It's still very divorced from the military tones of shows like Getter Robo, Gundam and Macross.

Branduil

Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 13

idqeA6bIENsHx.jpg

There is no escape from NTR

Well, that was anticlimactic. Not that the actual plot is terribly compelling, so I don't really care that much, LOL.

I do have to ask how the heck
the well-endowed girl ended up here.
Seriously I don't remember that happening at all.

Also, maybe I missed it, but
Lila is just kind of alive for some reason and they never explain it? Was it a magic trick?

cajunator

Banned
Yozakura Quartet: Hana no Uta 13

Well, that was anticlimactic. Not that the actual plot is terribly compelling, so I don't really care that much, LOL.

I do have to ask how the heck
the well-endowed girl ended up here.
Seriously I don't remember that happening at all.

Also, maybe I missed it, but
Lila is just kind of alive for some reason and they never explain it? Was it a magic trick?

Magic is magic for magic's sake

Lurky

Your description makes this show sound like possibly the best thing ever, which of course it is.
It really is a great show. Probably one of my favorites that I've seen recently.
Sakura Trick
heard of good things, and it did not disappoint, these chicks did something that is alot more taboo so easily than 99% of anime guys do with their own harems.

This is so true. It's sad that this show does things so much better than most harem anime.

Branduil

It_100a6a_663520.jpg

^Is the running theme in the last batch of YQ episodes.

I have to admit it's pretty hilarious how
Lila has no actual powers.
Not only is sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic, apparently so are
sufficiently advanced magic tricks.

cajunator

Banned
It really is a great show. Probably one of my favorites that I've seen recently.

This is so true. It's sad that this show does things so much better than most harem anime.

The art style is what I like most about it. So soft and pleasant. Fuwafuwa artwork.

duckroll

Yeah but I mean how did he get her in the first place LOL.

I dunno why anyone would dwell on that considering he's an invincible villain who can teleport, create illusions, create super villains and monsters, and summon anything he wants. It's just kinda... whatever. Lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Strike the Blood 16

Why the hell am I still watching this for. It's like a part of me wants this to end with him choosing a girl, another part of me REALLY wants this to be Majutsu no Index, and the last part of me realizes that neither of these things is possible but this side is losing to the other two. And the frustration of the third part is too much where it has grown depressed and started drinking.

Strike the Blood 16

Seconding what Woofington said above, pretty much. I think the only reason I'm still watching this is because I've somehow grown attached to the characters, as stereotypically harem-y as they are.

Also, totally called that little girl being Natsuki as soon as she appeared.

Branduil

That's something separate, informal, and internal to this thread if it's ever going to happen at all. Branduil was the one pushing for it so it's up to him.

I'll probably do something eventually but not imminently both because the AOTY thread deserves it's day in the sun and because I have to figure out all the logistics of it.

duckroll

I'll probably do something eventually but not imminently both because the AOTY thread deserves it's day in the sun and because I have to figure out all the logistics of it.

I'm only interested in talking about the best episodes of the year I watched in 2013, so hopefully there's some outlet for that at some point.

Strike the Blood 16

Seconding what Woofington said above, pretty much. I think the only reason I'm still watching this is because I've somehow grown attached to the characters, as stereotypically harem-y as they are.

Also, totally called that little girl being Natsuki as soon as she appeared.

I've grown to care a bit for the anime trope characters, but seriously. This is why it's so easy to praise other shows when they don't follow a formula in writing their scenarios or characters and actually bother you know developing them. Instead we get

Business meeting.
Time: 2:00 pm

Exec 1: We need a new show.
Exec 2: What sells nowadays?
Exec 1: Harems and moe
Exec 2: Great we have our show.
Exec 1: Should we bother getting writers to come up with something resembling a decent story or characters?
Exec 2: Oh heavens no. Just go to the bargain bin at the light novel store. If it doesn't have at least 1 tsundere, 1 kuudere and a protagonist who gets flustered at everything throw it back out.
Exec 1: If we get more than one tsundere we'll be bankin' yo. Who needs creativity?

GXTI9Rj.gif

Quasar

Strike the Blood 16

I'm liking it still, and I guess it is due to its similarity to Index. Though the last arc was a but less interesting for me.

Articalys

If you ask me, I think that

- Best Episode
- Best Character Performance
- Best Art Direction
- Best Sound Direction

are a good start for AnimeGAF-only technical awards.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sakura Trick 4

Man, I can't wait to see what kind of OVA episode this show gets.

We've moved on to tongue kissing, folks! DEEEEEEEEEEEEN

cajunator

Banned
Really it just makes me euphoric. The taboo-less depiction of a true love depicted extremely cutely and honestly. Its just beautiful. I feel content watching it.

Lurky

Yuu and Haruka are a cuter couple than most anime couples. And I also think the show does a very good job of balancing the cute parts with the steamier parts of it.

Thoraxes

- Kanna Award - Best childhood friend that didn't win their romance plots
- duckroll Award - Worst use of CG
- Kugiloli in Spirit Award - to the VA who spiritually channeled the best tsundere

Also one for BG art.

cajunator

Banned
- Kanna Award - Best childhood friend that didn't win their romance plots
- duckroll Award - Worst use of CG
- Kugiloli in Spirit Award - to the VA who spiritually channeled the best tsundere

Also one for BG art.

Kugiloli award goes to that girl in Outbreak Company.

Gbraga

Why are people pissed at the bath scene? It was beautiful. Satsuki-sama went back to her hometown to explore her life. It was amazing.

sonicmj1

Witch Craft Works 3

I'm enjoying how light this show's tone is, but please no more CG flying scenes. This one made Girls und Panzer episode 1's tank battle look like Pixar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom