• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owwari

Banned
Wh ... what is going on, why are you guys hating on herrrrrr...??!!
She's super annoying though.

minogarin.jpg

jman2050

The true proof of minori's suckiness

"So hey, instead of telling you exactly what was going to happen due to this exact situation happening in the past and saving you and my best friend a whole lot of heartache, I decided instead out of spite to keep quiet and use Taiga as collateral damage to clearly show you why I was right all along.

Yeah, sorry about that."

The worst!

I don't get why people are acting disgusted by the bravely default costumes when that chibi art style is about as far from sexualized as you can get

It also means I don't really care about the costume changes either since they look cuter now

Because censorship is treated like microtransactions existing in a game.

Anyway, interesting notion. Japan getting flak for being too "sexual" in their games, and is now under fire for trying to be less sexual. Just can't win here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait what?

They magically revive someone jebus

That's classic grade-A asspull I don't like eps 15 asspull, no way in hell I would like much worse version of it.

I don't like Kodai and Yuki as couple well enough to enjoy that kind of direction.. its will only work if I like the romance like in RahXephon, but for this? lol nope.
Dude, the whole thing is an asspull at that point if you want to go there. Hell, using the hull of a WW2 ship as a spaceship is itself insane.

Except that it actually matters
You saying Smile Precure doesn't matter?!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
"So hey, instead of telling you exactly what was going to happen due to this exact situation happening in the past and saving you and my best friend a whole lot of heartache, I decided instead out of spite to keep quiet and use Taiga as collateral damage to clearly show you why I was right all along.

Yeah, sorry about that."

The worst!
Exactly! D=

Wait what?

They magically revive someone jebus

That's classic grade-A asspull I don't like eps 15 asspull, no way in hell I would like much worse version of it.

I don't like Kodai and Yuki as couple well enough to enjoy that kind of direction.. its will only work if I like the romance like in RahXephon, but for this? lol nope.

I can sympathize with your feelings, but I don't feel in this case that this is an asspull because it

- is foreshadowed (
Mamoru is shown to be the soul of the Cosmo Reverse system, an idea we've already gotten used to by Yurisha being the soul of the automatic navigation system, and the Cosmo Reverse system is known to reverse death.
)
- is earned (
Obviously you'll disagree if you don't like Kodai and Yuki as characters, but in my estimation Kodai has fought for Yuki hard enough and long enough to earn his happy ending with her.
)
- has consequences (
Mamoru's spirit is gone for good, and the Cosmo Reverse system no longer works. Okita's death - which Mamoru knew about, of course - is what then allows the Yamato's mission to be completed.
)

The writers clearly put in some thought to make this make sense within the fictional world and narrative, which I respect them for.

Trigun 2-3
Pretty enjoyable though both episodes seemed to have a similar structure that first the insurance girls are in a town looking for Vash, find Vash but still not realizing he is Vash, meet people who are not exactly what they seem, a showdown with Vash's magic bullet avoidance and defeat the baddie of the episode. I hope the show doesn't stick to that formula.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why in god's green earth would you want the Pom Poko BD set?
HD racoon balls.

gaming side freaking out about 15 year olds in thongs.
I find it funny people use phrases like "sexy" when they lament over these things. Why do they find them sexy in the first place? All I think when I see the outfits is impractical. But I'm more concerned over this apparent removing of innuendoes. Man developed language so he could perform double entendres!

Apparently through a Magazine Scan, we have HappinessCharge Precure VAs

Lovely is Nakajima Ai (Macross F's Ranka Lee)
Princess is Han Megumi (daugher of Keiko Han, voiced Ellie in JP Last of Us dub and Chiari in the currently about-to-finish Jewelpet Happiness. Also Gon from HxH)
Fortune is Tomatsu Haruka,
Ribbon is Matsui Naoko, a veteran seiyuu who did Shitataare in SS
Honey is actually there was no Honey VA (SUSPENSE)

More proof that Ribbon is Honey.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Sometimes I wonder what would happen if one of those Social Justice Warrior types from Gaming showed up in here but then I remember Femmeworth was part of this thread not too long ago soooo.
She still watches us while tutting.

Obligatory "Hello Femmeworth!"

Syrinx

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if one of those Social Justice Warrior types from Gaming showed up in here but then I remember Femmeworth was part of this thread not too long ago soooo.

I dunno, I really in good conscience can't blame people for finding it off-putting or distasteful, or even disgusting in certain instances. It's when the personal insults start getting thrown around that bothers me.

jbug617

Banned
New Sentai license.

@Sentaifilmworks: Sentai Filmworks is proud to announce its newest acquisition - Engaged to the Unidentified: https://t.co/MBjULntzzh

HOUSTON, January 3, 2014 — Sentai Filmworks is proud to announce its newest acquisition: Engaged to the Unidentified. This 12 episode series about the suddenly atypical life of a very typical teenager is directed by Yoshiyuki Fujiwara (GJ Club) and features character designs by Ai Kikuchi (Rainbow – Nisha Rokubo no Shichinin) with series composition by Fumihiko Shimo (Clannad), music by Jun Ichikawa (C3) and sound direction by Kazuzou Hamano (Shin Koihime Muso: Otome Tairan).

Meet Kobeni, your typical, completely normal high school girl. She’s good at cooking, poor at sports and lives with her freewheeling mother and her older, eccentric sister, Benio. The only thing unusual about Kobeni is that she can’t remember her childhood due to an accident when she was small. But everything changes on her 16th birthday with the arrival of a fiancé she didn’t even know she had! Hakuya, a quiet, pokerfaced boy, and his little sister Mashiro are moving in and Kobeni’s normal life is over. Mashiro’s intent on making her the perfect wife for Hakuya; Benio, is intent on Mashiro; and Kobeni? Well, she’s more than a little confused, but struggling to build a good relationship with Hakuya. But since he’s moved in, Kobeni’s memory is beginning to return, and she’s becoming increasingly convinced that Hakuya isn’t even human, but a dog that saved her life the day of the accident. Is Hakuya really a dog? Or is he something else? Will Kobeni ever discover the truth about her fiancé? Or her sister’s proclivities? Find out in Engaged to the Unidentified!

Engaged to the Unidentified will be available soon through select digital outlets with a home video release to follow in 2014.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 2

I'm in love. So well executed. The Yamato is a fucking sexy ass ship.
They're hinting at the alien crew so hard. The Iscarians are gonna betray them, I can feel it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I dunno, I really in good conscience can't blame people for finding it off-putting or distasteful, or even disgusting in certain instances. It's when the personal insults start getting thrown around that bothers me.

Some parts of animeGAF are very off putting so I can't blame people there

"adorably rapey", anyone?

jman2050

I don't blame them, I have no problem with the censorship (surprise surprise, different cultures have different tolerances and different companies respond to these changes differently) and this is nothing new or even all that notable.

Midonin

Binbou Shimai Monogatari
Sakura Heartstring Moments

The year was 2006. I'm not really aware of how the anime fandom was, and I'm curious how this series would be accepted today... by someone who's not me, obviously. It certainly relies on lots of cuteness and warm fuzzy moments, and each episode is relatively low stakes. But at the same time, the effects of poverty aren't ignored, and compared to, say, Minami-ke, the parents' lack of presence is acknowledged several times. The show definitely got a bit melodramatic at times, but it has this overlaying field of earnest sweetness that makes it tough to find problems with. It's the same thing with ARIA.

The Echigoya sisters did serve as a nice foil, even if they didn't have that many appearances. They did slowly grow closer over their small screentime. I also have to thank Ginko for cluing me into the source of one of the many "facepalm" pictures I've seen around the internet. The show's heart and soul probably is in the moments when the background behind Kyou and Asu became filled with sakura petals. The metaphor's coming in a little strongly, but it never lasts for too long.

I also liked how the show began with a narration from their mother, and was bookended with a similar episode about the message she left behind to her kids. For as much as the two sisters (and especially Asu) were the focus of the story, it had that "it takes a village to raise a child" thing running through it. Everybody knew them. Japan's the kind of place that naturally lends itself to these small town sort of stories, for better or worse.

The opening was pleasant, and the cheeriness of the ED was nice, too. Strangely, it only had 10 episodes, and this is before the somewhat changed world of anime distribution we have before us today.

Final Thoughts: At times saccharine, and at times maudlin, but always with an underlying current of hope through troubled times, this show seems like a predecessor to many of the shows of today, but also carries some signs from its own era. The sisterly relations are the heart of the show, and always, especially in the sakura moments, know how to warm the heart. And heart is one thing this show has above all else.

jman2050

#BravelyDefaultthreadhyperightnow

I don't know, it starts to get pretty boring when things start to escalate into pointless semantic arguments. There's not much fun in watching people viciously deride or defend someone's choice of words when the intent of the message is made plainly obvious.

It's still probably better than the 10000th "lolicon is/isn't pedophilia" merry-go-round or the 30000th "ha you have an anime avatar so you are stupid and no one should listen to you" spiel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom