• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Yamato 2199 3

Damn cooling systems.

So Yamato has a weapon that could destroy anything they encounter, and the admiral is concerned about it. Interesting to see if they use it again given how he feels about the Yamato and its purpose. Guess he feels they won't be any better than their enemies if they use it so flippantly.

Edit: Congrats, icarus-heika.

Space Brothers 75:
Oh my god, that flashback with Sharon and her hands and everything was just too much. This show really knows how to hit you hard in that regard. There are so many emotions welling up in me with any scenes Sharon is in now. Probably the most effective moment was when
her younger sister stops her from using the scissors, and then you see Sharon's face. Just the realization of how she's being seen in terms of her ability to take care of herself by people around her; it's really heartbreaking.

The end of the episode was really nice,
and it seems like Mutta has finally landed on the right track.

Jex

Here's an illustrated example of why I feel there's a huge disconnect in what Akito seems to want to be, and what Code Geass itself actually is.

We have thoughtful and "profound" scenes like these:

And at the same time we have scenes like these:

It's just fucking hilarious and ruins any gravitas the show tries to have, so the entire tone feels like a bouncing ball. It's not even tone whiplash, it's just trying to have its cake and eat it too, except in this case it's really not possible, so it feels dumb to even try.

I think a number of Sunrise shows run into this problem, well, I guess it's not just limited to Sunrise. The disconnect between theme and genre is fairly prevalent in Gundam shows as well which tend to be very preachy with regards to war and killing (because you have to give the right message to kids) while simultaneously reviling in war and bloodshed (because that's entertaining and popular). Incidentally, Gundam Build Fighters sidesteps this problem by making the conflict into a sport thus enabling for a far more harmoniums property.

LayLa

Nah, the ending is perfect and cements as being a great show. Nothing is unearned.

not really a fan of shoehorned
happy ever after
endings, no matter how good a show has been resorting to such corny cliches to wrap things up is never "earned" for me.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 14-17

Uh oh...

"Return to home base immediately. No, don't take 10 more seconds to destroy the Yamto just come back right now!!!!! >_>

I didn't think Lord whatshisface would die so quickly but hey political turmoil is going on as expected. This will probably lead our friendly aliens into joining the Yamato crew in some way or another.

Yamato 2199 3

Damn cooling systems.

So Yamato has a weapon that could destroy anything they encounter, and the admiral is concerned about it. Interesting to see if they use it again given how he feels about the Yamato and its purpose. Guess he feels they won't be any better than their enemies if they use it so flippantly.

They explain why using the cannon on every single enemy would be a bad idea later on.

Quasar

That might be.

Its still a guilty pleasure of mine. I just didnt understand, while the second season had much more real "story" in it, people are saying the first was better. Like I said, I also read the manga and I think it was quite well adapted, considering they had 12 episodes to do that.

I'd say the first is better too. S2 (and the arcs it borrows from) being a darker story, and lacking any of the lightness that the first series had was part of it.

LordCanti

Anyone who says that no real person would do any of the things the characters in Aku no Hana do must have very limited experience with people who are not "normal" or like themselves. It's one of the more realistic stories in terms of characterization, especially in showing people with suppressed emotional issues. What they do, what they say, and how they go about trying to rationalize or hide from it, are not in any way unbelievable or absent from reality. That's really what makes the show harder to watch for me, more so than how ugly the rotoscope technique can be at times, because it shows the dark side of being human and troubled teenagers trying to cope with a world they can't quite adjust to.

If the argument is that I need to have or have had the same issues as the characters to possibly believe their actions, then I'm kind of painted into a corner. I didn't believe them, but that's obviously a personal opinion. If you did, then I can understand why you liked that aspect of the show.

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 14-17

Uh oh...

"Return to home base immediately. No, don't take 10 more seconds to destroy the Yamto just come back right now!!!!! >_>

I didn't think Lord whatshisface would die so quickly but hey political turmoil is going on as expected. This will probably lead our friendly aliens into joining the Yamato crew in some way or another.

Welcome to my reasoning that it's not AOTY :p

I'd say the first is better too. S2 (and the arcs it borrows from) being a darker story, and lacking any of the lightness that the first series had was part of it.

But the theme in the second season is much more on par with what is happening "outside" the world than in the first season.
I mean, there are monsters/Nova attacking and threatening the world in the first season and they just have some mock-battles in East-Genetics and "enjoy" their ecchi-scenes.

In the second season you have much more "story", if you might call it that and not just (imo) useless fanservice episodes.

PuPiPo! 03

ALPiHzRl.jpg

The faintest amount of possible plot keeps me very interested besides seeing Ponpo weekly.

Quasar

But the theme in the second season is much more on par with what is happening "outside" the world than in the first season.
I mean, there are monsters/Nova attacking and threatening the world in the first season and they just have some mock-battles in East-Genetics and "enjoy" their ecchi-scenes.

In the second season you have much more "story", if you might call it that and not just (imo) useless fanservice episodes.

True I guess. Maybe its just that I was more entertained by the triangle than by the gory violence. And the big story had things in that didn't work for me. And when that was the focus that made it less interesting.

I never really understood the whole thing with Chiffon really. Hell the whole relationship between Maria and the creation of Pandoras was never terribly clear. And there's the whole Stigmata body with re Kazuya and his sister. Alot of stuff that seems unclear.

I mean...I assume Chiffon, Kazuya and his sister are all some kind of cloning experiments based on Maria. But again Marias origin is pretty damn vague.

But yeah it had a lot more going on.

Funimation gonna be streaming D-Frag!

Exciting news! D-Frag! (D-Fragments) will be joining our 2014 Winter Simulcast Line-up. D-Frag! is from the studio that brought you Durarara!! We’ll be sure to update everyone once we have a simulcast date and time.

Synpopsis: Kenji likes to think that he and his gang of friends are the bad boys of their school. That is, until he meets the four insane girls of a game-making club whose personalities are all super weird (and a little on the violent side). When Kenji’s forced to join their little group, his life quickly takes a turn for the outrageous.

Also of note, is that they have one more box for simulcasts now.

Jex

It's not enough to ruin the series for me since other shows in my list had similar dumb moments.

Perhaps every series! I can't think of a work this year that's not fallen down somewhere, either in terms of writing, direction, editing, animation, design etc. Even Aku no Hana, which is about as close to rock-solid as you're going to get, has some problems.

Midonin

Steins;Gate - Burdened Domain of Deja Vu
The Mantle and Coat of Hououin Kyouma

I've always been a fan of the Science Adventure series, ever since I chose Chaos;Head to watch on an impulse since it had a girl with a sword. Best snap watching choice I've ever made. Steins;Gate is obviously the standout one, since I'm talking about its movie, but even with the truncation going on, I'm glad for Chaos;Head introducing me to the franchise, and enjoyed Robotics;Notes quite a bit. They all have their strengths.

So what of the movie?

The thing about visual novels is they always wrap themselves up pretty neatly, and while the S;G anime had some degree of ambiguity for its finale, it was also a tidy conclusion. The movie did slightly rehash some of the themes of the series, but it did so in the best possible way. By shifting the narrative weight off of Rintaro and onto Kurisu. The ending was pretty clear, that a kiss was going to be the thing to save the day, making this a love story in the end, but the sci-fi and otaku elements that defined the original series were also here. In many ways, it felt like a big budget episode. From the earlier parts of the series, before the whole murder conspiracy thing.

Even then, it tied back into the series with plenty of little nods, and a moment from Mayuri becoming a key point to resolving things. I thought the hoops they had to jump through to get Suzuha to make an appearance did have that "It's a movie, we need to get everyone in here so people can see their favorites" vibe to it, but it didn't jar from the main storyline too much.

Final Thoughts: It was more of the same, which anime movies are very consistent about doing, and in that regard, it was entertaining. Now all that's left to do is to wait and see how long it'll take before Chaos;Child gets an anime announcement.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Perhaps every series! I can't think of a work this year that's not fallen down somewhere, either in terms of writing, direction, editing, animation, design etc. Even Aku no Hana, which is about as close to rock-solid as you're going to get, has some problems.
Gundam Build Fighters man.

Come on.

Tenumi

Banned
I've only been here since February and I'm way unknown here, I shouldn't dream about becoming a mod someday.

So close to the start of the shows I'll be watching this season... Space Dandy tommorow, Setokai Yakuindomo* too... Fun...

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - 18

Sweet jesus.

This dude must be the manliest man in all the universe.

10,000 enemy ships!? FUCK IT! CHARGE THEM!!!!!!!!!

Inferno Cop was the very model of consistency.

Narag

Miyuki-chan in Wonderland

Watched Disney's Alice in Wonderland yesterday or the day before and found myself wondering why there wasn't any Alice in Wonderland anime. Then I remembered this (and Nunally in Wonderland!) As one can see above, it's primarily an SDBurton fever dream. Nonetheless it's pretty amusing for the short runtime, constantly moving and never lingering on a visual gag overlong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom