• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 17

A low-key episode setting up some backstory for Best Husband Sanada-kun and Niimi. I like how they used sub-themes about honesty and trust to advance the existing plots about Yuki and Misaki. It's even sort of tied to what's going on with the Gamillians. Everything fits well together.

I've only heard great things about the next episode.

duckroll

Sounds like a realistic one.

I don't think reality works that way. History is filled with records of military encounters which are prolonged or aborted simply because people in command are not willing to jump at complete destruction as the first choice.

LordCanti

Sounds like a realistic one.

Realistically speaking, they'd also have (End of Yamato 2199 spoilers if you haven't paid attention)
put a bullet in Crazy Space Bitch after the installation of the reverser was complete. She's worse than Hitler.

duckroll

I'm starting to think that aside from potential pedos, AnimeGAF also has a bunch of sociopaths and psychopaths as well. First Gargantia, now Yamato 2199. Smh.

Also you should mark spoilers saying you're spoiling the end of a show considering a ton of people are just starting to watch it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So, why isn't destroying the Pluto base considered a necessity to begin with when the show immediately establishes from the first episode that mankind might not survive another year due to the continued asteroid bombardment/Garmillasforming? Conveniently, the Yamato's trip is also calculated to take no less than one year, which, even without accounting for the near-certainty that delays will extend the duration of the voyage past the desired timeframe, means that not destroying the base is essentially flirting with the possibility of Yamato returning to a completely dead planet.

although, I guess once a story about space travel ignores time dilation, who really cares anyway?

LordCanti

I'm starting to think that aside from potential pedos, AnimeGAF also has a bunch of sociopaths and psychopaths as well. First Gargantia, now Yamato 2199. Smh.

Also you should mark spoilers saying you're spoiling the end of a show considering a ton of people are just starting to watch it.

What's socio and/or psychopathic about staving off complete extinction by any means necessary?

Gazoinks

From the New World 4

Whaaaa-?
Why was there a giant woman riding a scythe inside that tornado.

In other news: INFODUMP! And a welcome one at that.
I legitimately did not expect to learn that much about the history this early, but it was interesting stuff, with the three tribes and the PK apocalypse and the nature of their society. Contextualizes those previous episode openings too.

Also, I'm betting the whole PK-sealing thing is purely psychological. 'cause, y'know, if they could do that they wouldn't need to bother with all of this genetic manipulation and psychological reprogramming business.

So does this show not have an OP at all? That's okay, because the ED is good.

Jarmel

Banned
What's socio and/or psychopathic about staving off complete extinction by any means necessary?

I was kinda surprised and disappointed that they
didn't talk seriously about taking the Reverser by force when there was the possibility that she might not give it to them. Would have been a pretty morally grey scenario.

That's why the US nuked China during the Korean war.

Nuking China and Russia was brought up multiple times in serious discussions. Russia got the bomb though before anybody could go through with it.

LordCanti

I don't see what that has to do with what you said. Lol.

I don't...I don't remember what I said?

The bit about (END OF Yamato 2199)
putting a bullet in Crazy Space Bitch because she's worse than Hitler?

If so, I don't think that's either. She's (again END of Yamato 2199)
the entire reason Space Hitler is allowed to expand his territory all the way to Earth. She causes all of our suffering and then has the nerve to judge US and almost not give us the thing she could have just sent to begin with. She has to be stopped.

I was kinda surprised and disappointed that they
didn't talk seriously about taking the Reverser by force when there was the possibility that she might not give it to them. Would have been a pretty morally grey scenario.

This would have been Okita's face:

JSWvFlH.jpg

duckroll

Yeah I'm not going to argue with you anymore. I think you're crazy, and misinterpret stuff just so they line up with how you want to see them. Lol.

Narag

So, why isn't destroying the Pluto base considered a necessity to begin with when the show immediately establishes from the first episode that mankind might not survive another year due to the continued asteroid bombardment/Garmillasforming?

I just assumed it was at a point of no return without Iscandar space tech/magic/whatever to save Earth.

LordCanti

Yeah I'm not going to argue with you anymore. I think you're crazy, and misinterpret stuff just so they line up with how you want to see them. Lol.

You're crazy :p It's all there in the show. Explain to me how I'm wrong, and how (END OF YAMATO 2199)
she isn't the cause of our suffering? Gamilas worships her race as deities, and when her boytoy Hitler comes round and says that he's going to conquer the universe, she isn't exactly all "Noooo don't do thatttttt my loveee". She actually lets it happen. When he nearly wipes Earth off the map, she doesn't send real help...she sends her sister to give us a thing that could potentially help us....but ONLY IF GAMILAS IS DEFEATED...which she doesn't even care about or want necessarily, which is proven by how pissy she gets about the Wave Motion Gun...without which Earth would have been doomed. Gamilas is a powder keg ruled by a military dictator (AGAIN), and she's still just as distant and unwilling to step in. Gamilas is unlikely to just give back all its territory so.....nuts....

wonzo

Banned
Tanken Driland 11

tankend11.jpg

This series got pretty damn :sdburton for a few minutes there. A shame it was
merely the result of a cursed crown, though jealous Wallens was moe as hell.

Branduil

What sort of story this would be, if the "solution" of every part of the journey is the Yamato using a weapon they're not supposed to have in the first place to completely eradicate every planet and outpost which has an enemy presence as they travel across the universe.

We're not talking about every planet and outpost. We're talking about a very specific one which has been raining death down on Earth, and which has a very small amount of importance compared to either the Yamato or Earth.

I don't see what's sociopathic about destroying a bunch of dead rock in addition to an enemy base full of aliens. They both result in the same amount of dead aliens, it's just one will also result in less dead humans.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I just assumed it was at a point of no return without Iscandar space tech/magic/whatever to save Earth.

The surface is irrevocably fucked, yeah, but once Okita makes the decision to attack Pluto he seems to be of the mind that it's going to be of some actual benefit to Earth rather than just being an empty act of reprisal. They're not exactly clear on the sustainability of the underground cities, either; there are references to riots and shortages but everyone seems relatively healthy and not particularly desperate. Maybe the military just gets better rations? /shrug

Narag

The surface is irrevocably fucked, yeah, but once Okita makes the decision to attack Pluto he seems to be of the mind that it's going to be of some actual benefit to Earth rather than just being an empty act of reprisal. They're not exactly clear on the sustainability of the underground cities, either; there are references to riots and shortages but everyone seems relatively healthy and not particularly desperate. Maybe the military just gets better rations? /shrug

Seemed mostly psychological to me. Crew gets the revenge they were lusting for while learning they can push back effectively and the citizens get to rest just a bit easier knowing the aliens had been pushed out of the solar system (assuming it was just Jupiter and Pluto that they had bases on) and the meteors would stop falling. Probably the first good news they've had in forever.

CorvoSol

FX Burst mode had that sweet Obari animation in the last ep tho!

You will never hear me say that AGE was not well animated. That doesn't redeem its MS designs from the shit tin, though.

Corvo 4 mod.

I would give you all titles and change them based on how inebriated I thought the group thought I was that day.

#FuckJupiter

Sailor Moon's, and in the Biblical sense and not the I hate her sense.

You are a good person.

duckroll

You're crazy :p It's all there in the show. Explain to me how I'm wrong, and how (END OF YAMATO 2199)
she isn't the cause of our suffering? Gamilas worships her race as deities, and when her boytoy Hitler comes round and says that he's going to conquer the universe, she isn't exactly all "Noooo don't do thatttttt my loveee". She actually lets it happen. When he nearly wipes Earth off the map, she doesn't send real help...she sends her sister to give us a thing that could potentially help us....but ONLY IF GAMILAS IS DEFEATED...which she doesn't even care about or want necessarily, which is proven by how pissy she gets about the Wave Motion Gun...without which Earth would have been doomed. Gamilas is a powder keg ruled by a military dictator (AGAIN), and she's still just as distant and unwilling to step in. Gamilas is unlikely to just give back all its territory so.....nuts....

I really don't want to argue because you're presenting it such a specific narrow way, but here's how you're wrong:

(Yamato 2199 complete series spoilers)

- Ischander was a destructive society which somehow destroyed itself through conquest. Because of this, as one of the only survivors of her race, she does not believe in entering any sort of conflict. It's idealistic, and probably doesn't serve her true goal, but as a tragic character Starsha is what she is.

- She isn't interested in the war between Earth and Gamilas, only in restoring the Earth itself, because she feels bad for humanity. The war is a completely different issue, considering how it was technically started by humans to begin with, and there's always the option of surrendering.

- She has told Desler to stop before, but it's not like that does any good. He doesn't listen to her, he just wants to conquer the universe to prove he can do what he said. He loves her, but it's the sort of love which only matters to him, he clearly doesn't care about her opinion.

- The concern about the Wave Motion Gun isn't really the reason Starsha has to "consider" before giving the Reverser to the Yamato. It's an excuse. The real reason is that she is afraid to be separated from the memories of Mamoru, who she loves, and is the only person other than her sisters who she has had real contact with for decades.

- Starsha's entire story is thematic, so trying to break it down into "oh boo hoo why didn't she kill all the Gamilas to protect Earth in the first place, and how dare she make people wait while deciding!" seems to be missing the entire point. A better question would be why she even cared about Earth at all, given that in the larger scale of the Gamilas conquest, it's just one insignificant planet which started a fight they couldn't win.

I don't see what's sociopathic about destroying a bunch of dead rock in addition to an enemy base full of aliens. They both result in the same amount of dead aliens, it's just one will also result in less dead humans.

You're not LordCanti! You're just a typical Pluto-chan hater. ;_;

Quasar

Watching Yozakura Quartet. Kind of impressed they seem able to manage such a giant cast and give them all a bit of spotlight in a short 13 part show.

CorvoSol

When I was a kid, Sailor Saturn was my 2nd favorite. This is because a lady with stupid violent powers is somehow appealing to some part of my brain. Jean Grey as the Dark Phoenix? Check. Like, half the girls in Monogatari? Check. Terra Branford? Check. ETC ETC ETC.

Cloudy

Banned
Is it just me or does mismatched eyes/hair in anime bug anyone else?

For example:

parttimer_02_1.jpg

Purple and yellow clashes (ignore my avatar!) and it just looks stupid on characters who aren't supposed to look "mysterious" (Eureka in E7 for example)

tumblr_me4p5oHn7m1qgr6tq.gif

That clashes a bit also but she's supposed to look alien

I've also noticed I dislike yellow eyes in general. Even when there's no clash

Edward_Elric.jpg

I also don't like the look of red eyes cos they clash with other colors as well. I do understand it for this character though

sadao_maou_43751.jpg

Does anyone else even notice stuff like this? lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Seemed mostly psychological to me. Crew gets the revenge they were lusting for while learning they can push back effectively and the citizens get to rest just a bit easier knowing the aliens had been pushed out of the solar system (assuming it was just Jupiter and Pluto that they had bases on) and the meteors would stop falling. Probably the first good news they've had in forever.

No arguments here that this is the bulk of the justification.

CorvoSol

Is it just me or does mismatched eyes/hair in anime bug anyone else?

For example:

parttimer_02_1.jpg

Purple and yellow clashes and it just looks stupid on characters who aren't supposed to look "mysterious" (Eureka in E7 for example)

tumblr_me4p5oHn7m1qgr6tq.gif

That clashes a bit also but she's supposed to look alien

I've also noticed I dislike yellow eyes in general. Even when there's no clash

Edward_Elric.jpg

Does anyone else even notice stuff like this? lol

I always figured that Eureka looked the way she did as a subtle nod to Final Fantasy VI's Terra Branford. Green haired, purple eyed, mech riding
half-human

LordCanti

I really don't want to argue because you're presenting it such a specific narrow way, but here's how you're wrong:

(Yamato 2199 complete series spoilers)

- Ischander was a destructive society which somehow destroyed itself through conquest. Because of this, as one of the only survivors of her race, she does not believe in entering any sort of conflict. It's idealistic, and probably doesn't serve her true goal, but as a tragic character Starsha is what she is.

It royally serves to
cause an insane amount of human misery though, for what that's worth.

- She isn't interested in the war between Earth and Gamilas, only in restoring the Earth itself, because she feels bad for humanity. The war is a completely different issue, considering how it was technically started by humans to begin with, and there's always the option of surrendering.

Technically, in the weakest sense. Sure we didn't know, but
Hitler was at the doorstep and our choices were fight or join the tryannical regime and live in shame.

- She has told Desler to stop before, but it's not like that does any good. He doesn't listen to her, he just wants to conquer the universe to prove he can do what he said. He loves her, but it's the sort of love which only matters to him, he clearly doesn't care about her opinion.

She's got
space magic; She could kill him and install any leader she likes without issue, and could have done that at any point. Telling him not to is not good enough with the fate of the universe in the balance

The concern about the Wave Motion Gun isn't really the reason Starsha has to "consider" before giving the Reverser to the Yamato. It's an excuse. The real reason is that she is afraid to be separated from the memories of Mamoru, who she loves, and is the only person other than her sisters who she has had real contact with for decades.

It's the only reason the crew is aware of at the time.

- Starsha's entire story is thematic, so trying to break it down into "oh boo hoo why didn't she kill all the Gamilas to protect Earth in the first place, and how dare she make people wait while deciding!" seems to be missing the entire point. A better question would be why she even cared about Earth at all, given that in the larger scale of the Gamilas conquest, it's just one insignificant planet which started a fight they couldn't win.

I....what? I'm just supposed to accept that
she isn't a villain
because her
story is thematic?
That doesn't make any sense. It certainly isn't
justification enough for the people under the thumb of the regime, that have to suffer her whims

You're not LordCanti! You're just a typical Pluto-chan hater. ;_;

This bit wasn't even me! :p

Narag

Yamato 2199 - 8

Super exciting encounter.
Liked how we learned more about Garmillas social structure, an apparent tech lag they have vs humanity in the case of the Wave Motion Gun, and Okita's worsening condition from that encounter

LordCanti

I get a little twitchy every time someone brings up the Madoka movie. It's like... "he knows".

They need to get that thing out on disc before someone says something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom