• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Timely English versions of light novels tend to be much less readily available than in those other two mediums, so I expect that's a major reason why there's no LN thread.

Isn't that much the same with manga? folks stuck relying on fan translations? The difference being manga is released in chapters every month or whatever.

Gazoinks

Isn't that much the same with manga? folks stuck relying on fan translations? The difference being manga is released in chapters every month or whatever.

Yeah, but there's generally less fan interest in LNs and they take longer to translate because they have more words.*

*Note: Baseless assumptions.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's one thing to translate the ten words of dialogue in this week's One Piece, it's another to translate a 50,000 world novel that has no real audience.

Recently, My Sister is Unusual
#PervyGhosts

Having watched the first episode now, I vaguely remember reading a chapter or two of this shows manga. And now with that in mind, that's the last time I'm going to watch this show with my TV unmuted. Come half way through I had to yell at the Xbox to pause while I got my headset on and muted the TV.

LordCanti

Anytime something that isn't anime or manga gets translated, I'm shocked/thankful. This includes LN's and J-Drama, to name a few things.

Hunter x Hunter - 110

I want Madhouse to be as faithful to the original experience of reading Hunter x Hunter as possible.

To fulfil this, I believe that episode 111 needs to be delayed for 1 year and 8 months.

heh heh.

You know, I always wondered how will adapt episode 111 and onwards in the anime. Because in the manga, the narration and direction changes up a bit to another style: slow and even more detailed, the narrator has more presence (as if someone was telling you the tale of what happened) and there is a lyrical tone in his voice, the camera work (well, the equivalent in manga) is more spectacular and cinematographic. I hope they get right next week.

Quasar

It's one thing to translate the ten words of dialogue in this week's One Piece, it's another to translate a 50,000 world novel that has no real audience.

True. Still doesn't really answer my question though. If I want to make a post about a LN I'm reading, where should I put it? in the anime thread? in the manga thread? should I start my own thread?

Starring a younger Senjougahara as Ellie and Kaiki as Joel.

Senjougahara isn't moe enough to be Ellie and Kaiki is too much of a pretty boy to be Joel. I mean that beard....

thelastofus_art.jpg

Jex

the use of the word filler to describe any episode of anything that doesn't directly advance the narrative of the series is honestly becoming more unbearable than spoiler culture.

Right. Every time someone uses the word filler in that manner they should have one finger removed.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
True. Still doesn't really answer my question though. If I want to make a post about a LN I'm reading, where should I put it? in the anime thread? in the manga thread? should I start my own thread?
These are community threads. It doesn't really matter beyond who you want to talk to about it.

Seitokai Yakuindomo 1

Man, this is an ADHD High-School anime packed full of cheap sex jokes. Orgies, enemas, dick jokes... even hymens. They all get a shout-out. And then there was the bit at the end with raining vibrators. Holy shit, it's pretty bad. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason from one moment to the next. It's just a bunch of random shit happening with heaps of sex jokes shoved in wherever. At least the animation is nice. I was relieved when it was over.

Still waiting for a new series from this season to be good.

CorvoSol

She did say she was willing to
turn tricks to save Araragi
and Lalah was literally doing that when Char found her...hmmm....

People always say Char has a thing for teenage women, but really he has a thing for broken women. Lalah, Reccoa, Haman, what's her name from the movie. All of them.

Also consider Kaiki's shower scene. But if Kaiki is Char and Araragi is Amuro, is Meme Bright or Garma?

Jintor

Seitokai Yakuindomo 1

Man, this is an ADHD High-School anime packed full of cheap sex jokes. Orgies, enemas, dick jokes... even hymens. They all get a shout-out. And then there was the bit at the end with raining vibrators. Holy shit, it's pretty bad. And there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason from one moment to the next. It's just a bunch of random shit happening with heaps of sex jokes shoved in wherever. At least the animation is nice. I was relieved when it was over.

you act as if you've never seen SYD before

LordCanti

People always say Char has a thing for teenage women, but really he has a thing for broken women. Lalah, Reccoa, Haman, what's her name from the movie. All of them.

Also consider Kaiki's shower scene. But if Kaiki is Char and Araragi is Amuro, is Meme Bright or Garma?

Let me preface this by saying that Char is one of my favorite anime characters, but..

Haman was young when Char was on Axis after the OYW. There's no sign of him having any feelings for her after that (unless I'm just forgetting). Lalah was about that age, as was Quess in the CCA movie. He never really cared for
Reccoa
anyway from what I remember.

They're pretty clear what Char is after. In CCA his
final speech
is about how he had wanted
Lalah to be a mother figure to him, which I took to mean that he wanted her to provide the love and guidance that he hadn't felt from anyone since he was a child (at which point his parents were still alive) and not as some kind of weird Oedipal thing. He fancied innocence in a world that he'd seen go crazy (half of humanity died in ONE YEAR and both parents had died/he had been kinda brainwashed into seeking revenge by Jimba Ral). Not to mention that he wanted people to evolve pretty desperately (including himself; He never saw himself as a true newtype), and the youth were on the frontlines of that.

It should also be noted that this is Japan we're talking about. He wasn't doing anything that out of sorts, considering.

Lalah was 17 or so. That's ollllldddd for Japan :p

Seitokai Yakuindomo 1

Still waiting for a new series from this season to be good.
I'm not sure if the material has gotten worse or I've just gotten tired with it because while I enjoyed the first season, I've had a similar reaction as you to the later OVAs and this episode. It's not funny anymore.

Update from
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=94691419&postcount=16658
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=114433&page=9

Fall 2013 Preliminary First Volume Sales
26,601 *4 Infinite Stratos 2 [DVD+BD]: 2013/10/30
10,123 *1 Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio Ars Nova [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/27
*7,546 *2 Non Non Biyori [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
*5,677 *2 Yowamushi Pedal [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20
*3,010 *2 Yozakura Quartet ~Hana no Uta~ [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/18
- - - - - - - - - - - Manabi Line (2,899) - - - - - - - - - - -
*1,560 *2 Outbreak Company [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/18
*1,423 *1 Machine Doll wa Kizutsukanai [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/25
*1,144 *0 Nagi no Asukara [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20
*1,030 *2 Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/12
**,882 *2 Galilei Donna [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/13
**,*** *0 Diabolik Lovers [DVD]: 2013/11/27
**,*** *0 Coppelion [DVD+BD]: 2013/11/27
**,*** *0 Meganebu! [DVD+BD]: 2013/12/20

Not yet ranked in either format
Blazblue, White Album 2, Tokyo Ravens, Gingitsune, Tesagure, Gundam BF (DVD single only), Golden Time, Samumenco, Freezing Vibration, Valvrave 2nd, Walkure, Noucome, and Yuushibu.

Yup,big win for Arpeggio and Non Non(Arpeggio still showing up in it's second week daily chart so i expect even more)
Machine Doll's 1.4k is only for DVD so i guess with full BD sales data out it will have decent number

Fushigi Mahou Fun Fun Pharmacy 1

Came here because of the Doremi, stayed for the potentially mind bending animation that might make me yell at Toei because lord knows I love that very much!

That being said, I'm not too sure on how I feel about Potpourri yet, but man that witch design.

Incidentally, I'm watching a Magical Pharmacy anime when I need some medicine for my stomach right now, brb.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know I'm risking a semantic argument on what defines romance here, but Hajime is actively courting Sayoko for the entirety of the show. It's largely a one-sided romance, but one character having feelings for another is a consistent narrative current that bears actual consequence.
I would say it's a summer romance, a loving relationship built on the transience of the moment, much like a relationship you have with the girl at summer camp that you'll never meet again when Fall comes around.
:firehawk

----

Seitokai Yakuindomo
HOLY SHIT THAT BUDGET
Who did they blackmail to be able to make that damn episode? God damn. They even had a freaking
POV Dog camera
for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON.
They made a completely pointless and needlessly expensive opening teaser with best ENGRISH all for a single gag!
This is not how you make anime! I expect the next episode to look like crud though. lol

But man. It's back.
eLqeuTQl.jpg

xd9C3Edl.jpg

:Homuhomu

pWmdoaAl.jpg

That was quick!

PoybORIl.png

Why not!

And, hey, it's okay because they lampshade the fact that the series itself has no real point!
hd8hhA3l.png

I suppose at this point you either know you want to watch this show or you don't. I'm not sure what it is, but I've always found this amusing. Even the fact that they carried over a gag from the OVAs amuses me to no end. The fact that they're all sex jokes is perfectly fine by me, because at this point, it's about trying to generate as many ways to make a sex joke as possible and cram them all into a 20 minute episode. It could be about *anything* really; the manic energy is what makes it fun.

Jintor

it's lovably lewd!

and hilariously, in many ways, it's actually a lot less lewd than a lot of other supposedly non-lewd anime

duckroll

Magi S2 - Episode 13

Fantastic episode. I'm glad I picked the series back up with ep8. I dunno how long this is going to last, but they're actually doing a pretty good job with it now. This was a big episode with the Titus/Aladdin fight and it didn't disappoint one bit. Good direction, actually paced well, solid action, exciting movements and great effects, even the music was nice.

If every episode of Magi was like this from the start of the first season, it would be one of the better shounen action series. :(

Mushishi Tokubetsu-hen - Hihamukage

Damn that was good. The rhythm, the backgrounds, the light touches of music, the mystical vibe, the character drama not overdone but well developed, and all that good cinematography. And the callbacks to the previous season. That was the excellent Mushishi we know.

Code Geass Akito 2

As Duckroll said there is an odd conflict here, between a more sober, dry style that the OVAs use (in comparison with the original series) and the more anime~ quirks that still persist. I mean:

codegeass_zpsdcafa279.gif~original

I could swear they increased the breasts size to her just for that scene.
(oh, and talking about her, damn is she stupid, how many times is she going to forgive the 3 terrorists!)
In fact, the first OVA was a bit boring with the new more serious style, except for the action scenes.

in this second OVA the plot doesn't move forward a lot until the last part.
They just are assigned a new suicidal mission, the terrorist japs try to escape but they stay at the end, and in combat we learnt of the new Geass users and the Akito brother appears.
But it ends in a point that it will make the 3rd OVA very interesting, as part of the mystery has been shown and the plot twist, and add that the coming of certain past characters of the series...

edit: oh, and the action scenes are still great. All dat cg...

Mr.Jeff

Seriously, forget this Mushi-shi thing that everyone's going on about, that shit should be cancelled and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun should get a second season instead. The world needs more Natsume!

Mushi-shi is probably really good idk please don't kill me
There's a reason why so many people are practically weeping with joy at the announcement of a second series. It's a legitimately brilliant show and one of the few examples where the anime is more than a match for the manga it's based from.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There's a reason why so many people are practically weeping with joy at the announcement of a second series. It's a legitimately brilliant show and one of the few examples where the anime is more than a match for the manga it's based from.
A ton of anime are a match for their source manga, but only a handful are unquestionably superior.

Finally watched all of kyoukai no kanata. Was a relatively decent show but lacked in some regards and the ending should've remained bittersweet but then again I have no idea how the LN is going. I enjoyed the show but the pacing just felt off near the end. Great animation though.

Edit: Oh and SYD Season 2 will be the greatest anime to ever be created in the history of ever. My god is this show holy.

ЯAW

Banned
Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer

Woah! Movie was really far out there and freaking great. Never knew this was so negatively received in Japan when it was released. I do understand how some hardcore fans might dislike the movie since it's focus is not on Lum and Ataru. For me that wasn't a problem, I do love the original concept of the show and all the wackyness of it, but this was still a great movie. I think this is my favorite Mamoru Oshii film after Patlabor 2: The Movie and Angel's Egg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom