• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pilot's Love Song 1

This MC have a nice name
O49Tak6.jpg

Nobunaga the Fool 1
I don't this show is for me. I wasn't particular interested during the episode and it just felt stupid at points.

Sentai Releases for April

Ebiten (DVD/Bluray)
Happiness (DVD)
Familiar of Zero (DVD/Bluray)
From the New World Collection 1 (DVD/Bluray)
Hidamari Sketch X 365 (Bluray)
Little Busters Collection 2 (DVD/Bluray)
Cuticle Detective Inaba (DVD/Bluray)

Go here for the official press release https://www.facebook.com/notes/sent...l-april-2014-release-schedule/777114908982290

Well awful decision for releasing Cuticle Detective Inaba with no dub. They really dont want my money this year with thus far only UtaPri looking like something Ill buy from them in 2014. I hope. Hakkenden wont be given the subonly treatment.

Nordicus

Witchcraft Works episode 1

Really, that girl is that popular? The whole thing about her being popular is a bit extreme. Okay, VERY extreme.
Welcome to shoujo writing

The series is technically seinen, but I'll be damned if much of it doesn't play out like a shoujo series. Defuser implying that the MC was initially female makes a ton of sense in a number of scenes. Heck, let's change the initial setting to "prestigious all-girls school" while we're at it

Yamato 2199 - 14
Some serious mindfuck happenned 1 year ago i tell you that

Yamato 2199 - 15
OMG
Some serious badass battle just happenned i tell you that .

And next episode things get more complicated ... !! waouh !

Ep 15 was a 10/10 ..magnificent trap , excellent yamato answer to the trap

Gbraga

ripcraft works

Wow, I really liked the anime, but this is really sad. Why didn't we get this awesome transformation in the anime? I didn't even think the CG was that bad (I actually thought it was surprisingly decent), but why no awesome transformation? :(

I want that!

I guess I'll have to read the manga after the anime is done.

e_i

The series is technically seinen, but I'll be damned if much of it doesn't play out like a shoujo series. Defuser implying that the MC was initially female makes a ton of sense in a number of scenes. Heck, let's change the initial setting to "prestigious all-girls school" while we're at it

I mean it's happened in anime before, but nothing this extreme.

CorvoSol

Nobunaga the Fool 1
I don't this show is for me. I wasn't particular interested during the episode and it just felt stupid at points.

The point is to be stupid, I think. But I mean, it kinda depends which stupid you're feeling. If it's "Haha that's so stupid" then that's what it wants. If it is "Uuuuugh that's so stupid." then yeah, the show probably isn't for you. I felt a fair amount of the latter watching Buddy Complex yesterday.

cnet128

Banned

See, I might actually have been able to retain some interest in the show if it had gone this route. Though if the hypothetical female MC's design was as lacklustre as all the other girls in this show... =/

Space Dandy 1

Awwww yiss, this was a fun romp from start to finish. Loving the madcap antics of Dandy and how he manages to act like the pinnacle of manliness and confidence while clearly not having a goddamn clue what he's doing. Loving all the crazy sakuga and groovy music. The OP is as delicious as ever, and the Yakushimaru Etsuko ED is nice too. And of course it was fairly hilarious at the end how he managed to
blow up his own ship and an entire planet while he was still on it
. I wonder if they'll just pretend that didn't happen come next episode or come up with some convoluted explanation for how he got out of it alive.

And people were complaining about this episode? I guess some people really must have been overhyped. I'd be happy if the whole series was like this, though of course there's plenty of room for it to develop into something with a little more narrative depth in addition to the crazy antics.

Jex

If you don't like any of those things then you are lost.. as in they're the main appeal of the series.;p

It's love triangle is at least far better than the pathetic char/amuro/lahlah triangle in MSG. :)

This is honestly true. The love triangle in SDF Macross is a darn sight better than any human-to-human relationships in MSG because Tomino doesn't appear to understand how human beings work.

Jarmel

Banned
Which is better? A love rectangle in which three members are awful human beings or a love triangle that doesn't represent how realistic human beings act?

Nobunaga The Fool 1

Errr... what? This was so random and stupid and not the kind of stupid that I enjoy. Dropped it into the middle of the episode.

Space Dandy 1
This was totally different from what I expected. But it was pretty funny, so there's that. I'm guessing this will be kind of an episodic anime, without an "epic plot"?

Noragami 1
I wasn't expecting much so I was kind of surprised with the animation, which was pretty amazing. Also, I keep thinking about Arararararararagi-kun when Yato starts to talk.

Buddy Complex 1
Now, this is the kind of stupid that I love. Sunrise delivers yet again. Bonus points for having a character named Dio.

Nice Coupling

Jex

I only saw the first episode and there was at least one still and one instance of reused animation to my recollection.

And also numerous instances of beautifully fluid mecha animation that was literally OVA quality. So...

Noragami Episode 1 A Housecat, a Stray God, and a Tail
BdUFbIOCQAAYx_i.png

FOr so many scenes in the OP he was absent :( And about the op, pretty stylish but the song is rather uninteresting and dull. If this is longer than 12 episodes, I hope it is changed out fast. The ending is thus far best song of the season, we need more ryo(supercell) talent and its a surefire way to keep me watching.

Fun good start with good action, Yato is a good lead as well.

Bombless

Super Sonico - The Animation 1

Not sure why I bothered to watch this, it was as bad and as busty as I expected. They know the Sonico fans well I guess.

Saki - the nationals - 01
This is just what i wanted.
They could have gone without re explaining the team and the rules to everyone but i'll take it.

No regrets... can't wait to see all the glorious yuri undertones and the shonen spirit leaking like crazy in this tournament.

Super Sonico - The Animation 1

Not sure why I bothered to watch this, it was as bad and as busty as I expected. They know the Sonico fans well I guess.

Does she ever take the headphones off?

Is Saki good? Because lesbians plus mahjong sounds hilarious. Is it anyway similar to Hikaru no Go?
It's a fun show and I don't even care about the yuri. Magical mahjong with crazy strategies and over the top tile throwing makes it for me.

cnet128

Banned
Noragami 1

Yep, so far this seems to be...exactly what I expected. A very standard shonen action type series, elevated by the quality of the adaptation.

The action and the visuals of the show in general look great. The OST, though I didn't notice any tracks that felt as stand-out iconic as some of Iwasaki's other works, is nevertheless very good. Kamiya Hiroshi does an awful lot to make the main character super-likable (he feels like a bit of an Araragi clone, which is fine by me). And we even have a supercell ED! (Well, okay, strictly speaking the artist is Tia, but the track is entirely composed, written and arranged by ryo and has the feel of a supercell song all over it).

Oh, and the main girl is pretty cute. A little generic in looks, but she does have a cool tail when in spirit form, and her wrestling fangirling is vaguely amusing (and seems to translate into a certain amount of actual action girl status!)

Will definitely stick with this one.

jman2050

I read through all of Saki (all of it, spinoffs and all) on a whim some time ago and "guilty pleasure" isn't a strong enough term to describe how I feel about it. Oddly enough I haven't watched a second of the anime.

Incidentally, I still don't understand how to play Mahjong.

I always thought the yuri stuff in Saki was distracting. They managed to make a show about mahjong interesting on its own, they didn't really need lesbian fantasies.

saki mahjong is as legit as yugioh show is to the card game.

you play as if the luck of the draw isn't a factor and as if you 'know' what you will get next.

Good. Because that's not how you play mahjong.

it's not the goal of saki , the goal is not to teach anyone how to play mahjong .

The appeal is the relationships between everyone and the various powers at play during the matches.

I watched and read all of hikaru no go and i still don't know how to play go properly either.

Space Brothers 78:
In which Hibito contemplates going after that jailbait despite being completely aware of what is going on. I have to say, the scenes between Hibito and Olga are all really good, and Hibito has been able to heal quite a bit thanks to her and Ivan. I loved Ivan's solution for how to tackle Hibito's problems.

But then
JAXA is made up of a bunch of jerks who decide they should just shove HIbito off to the side and ruin any chances of him ever recovering. I really hope this doesn't lead to things getting even worse for Hibito. When Hoshika was explaining exactly what was going to happen I felt really sad. It sucks he couldn't stop all those bureaucrats from doing that.

Gazoinks

it's not the goal of saki , the goal is not to teach anyone how to play mahjong .

The appeal is the relationships between everyone and the various powers at play during the matches.

I watched and read all of hikaru no go and i still don't know how to play go properly either.

What I learned from Hikaru no Go is that the most important thing ever is how to put the pieces down properly.

WHAM.

CorvoSol

This is honestly true. The love triangle in SDF Macross is a darn sight better than any human-to-human relationships in MSG because Tomino doesn't appear to understand how human beings work.

No. Just, no. I won't defend Tomino's ability to write human interaction for even a minute. In fact, I've criticized the way being a Newtype poisoned most every aspect of Gundam, including and especially human interactions, but still no.

For starters there are 2 love triangles interconnected in Macross, so it's disingenuous to say "The Love Triangle." After that, you have shit like Misa being in love with Kaifun because he "looks like Riber." Which, based on all of the flashbacks I've seen, he really, really does not. I'd grant that Hikaru-Misa-Minmey is realistic, but Kaifun is in that noise and that's where all aspects of reality go flying out the window like a frozen space tuna. If anything, aside from Focker and Claudia, the romance in Macross is every bit as bad as it is in Gundam shows.

Macross' Love Triangle isn't the problem. It's Macross' Love Rectangle that is.

Which is better? A love rectangle in which three members are awful human beings or a love triangle that doesn't represent how realistic human beings act?

I'll take the llatter as long as it doesn't have Kaifun, thanks.

And also numerous instances of beautifully fluid mecha animation that was literally OVA quality. So...

The knife fight is the first time I've really, honestly felt the animation was terrible in Macross. Normally it looks fine, but that fight was godawful. My complaint with the show is much more centered on how its plot has fallen to pieces in the second half. And it isn't JUST the love triangle. It's everything. I know people are big fans of Max and Milia, but they get married after a single date. After she tries to knife him. Yeah, soooooo much more realistic than the romances in Gundam. Yeaaaah. And the Zentradi TV Boners causing mass surrender. I know I just dissed Max and Milia, but frankly they make way more sense than that. Milia is a much better example of both how culture and love erode the Zentradi and make them join humanity's cause than any of the male Zentradi introduced.

I feel like misquoting Duckroll's comments on Nobunaga the Fool last night for how I feel about Macross. It feels like someone had a lot of good ideas and someone far less competent made them into the show. This last episode's knife fight and off-model faces not withstanding, I see why Macross has earned its place, but putting it above Mobile Suit Gundam boggles me. I could see it being a fair fight if it was between Macross and Zeta, but then most people think I'm crazy for thinking that Zeta is the worst of the first three Gundam shows, so there's that.

SDF Macross is OK. It's easy to see why it made an impact, but it hasn't aged well.

And Minmei is awful.

I don't think Macross is a bad show, I just think it's gone down hill a great deal since the second act began. Bad shows are stuff like Victory Gundam and Arjuna. I still get enjoyment out of Macross and can still see why people like it so much and why it had so much influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom