• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

So nothing good premiered today? "My Little Sister Really Needs to Take a Shit" episode 01 was about as bad as you'd expect. I need anime's savior.

I do have this second half of Mushi to watch...hmmm.....

Gazoinks

From the New World 10

Probably the best episode yet. Dresden wasn't kidding when he said the director shift was done better here, actually used the style change to their advantage in a nice way.

So yeah,
learning the nature of Karmic Demons, the inherent danger of Power, and feels!
What's gonna happen next?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Fushigi Mahou Fun Fun Pharmacy 7

funfun7-2znuqi.gif

Dammit madp! GOD DAMN IT TOEI!

This episode was the source of the gif!
Note that this girl is wearing cat paw sneakers.

Gazoinks

You know, I knew that spoiler was in there and cared to double check that I had marked it when I wrote it. What's wrong with you! ;_;

I was idly highlighting the spoilers ahead of me as I read the thing, so I missed the warning. So yeah mostly dumbness on my part. :p I'm usually pretty good at forgetting stuff I accidentally read. Managed to do it with Bioshock Infinite. xD

Ssy was one of the most bizarre and ominous animes ib a long time.
it was creepy and unsettling in a good way.

Yeah, the atmosphere is excellent.

Jintor

in cajun's honour i will watch something mind-numbingly cute after this episode of yamato.

what's that blue-haired girl one? acchi kochi?

duckroll

I don't know why cosmicblizzard keeps saying "technobabble" when he talks about Yamato 2199. There really isn't much technobabble in the show at all. Most of the time they're using actual language which is meant to be easily understood...

Jintor

I don't know why cosmicblizzard keeps saying "technobabble" when he talks about Yamato 2199. There really isn't much technobabble in the show at all. Most of the time they're using actual language which is meant to be easily understood...

I don't know enough about physics to understand a lot of what they're saying :(, especially when talking about warping and radiation fields etc.

Yamato 08

Lol, Ghale used the old Overlord Trapdoor Floor routine. A classic.

I wish they hadn't made the doctor so prominently a... caricature kinda thing. :(

sonicmj1

Space Battleship Yamato 6

I'm conflicted. On one hand, there was some cool stuff going on in this episode and a villain with an actual character showed up (albeit briefly). On the other, I'm still not really feeling the presentation, there's nothing I find interesting about the good guys, and the technobabble and explanations/planning is still really tiring.

Don't know whether to continue or not. Decisions :/

The villains get more and more prominence as the show goes on, and they're all pretty great. The good guys and the way they go about things don't fundamentally shift in any way (at least through the 19 episodes I've watched so far). For me, I love it because it has people on bridges of space ships shouting orders and firing guns. If that's not for you now, it's not going to change.

Defuser

Witch Craft Works - 01

j2HqZGu.png

WHY COULDN'T THE MALE LEAD BE A GIRL?! WHY?!

Oh man I love tall female characters, and to have one as a lead opposite of the male, I haven't seen that since Lovely Complex. To see her written to be the stronger of the two is a huge plus, and I hope that theme remains constant as this series progresses forward. Absolutely loved the episode, just so damn irritated at the missed possibilities of having two female leads.

I wanna give a shoutout to my pure maidens here, dropping truth bombs and protecting the sanctity of the garden as pure maidens should.
EDIT:
I just found out the male MC was suppose to be a female character which explains the princess and a female name before a change was made. So it was supposed to be a yuri show?

wonzo

Banned
Scrubbed through the BD versions of the 19 eps of Magi S1 I watched to see if they fixed any of the notable production errors I remembered (Mor's dance actually animated is the shit!) and I'm still laughing at how they never even bothered to redraw this bit and make it actually look decent for a still frame zoom-in:

magi16.jpg

sonicmj1

I don't know enough about physics to understand a lot of what they're saying :(, especially when talking about warping and radiation fields etc.

The physics of the Wave Motion Core, Wave Motion Gun, and warp and stuff are technobabble, but they're also a really small portion of most of the discussion in the show. Most of the battle plans are just translations of standard naval tactics into space.

I think he means that it doesn't make sense scientifically but its a sci fi show so that a given. I just ignored it when they go on about that but thats like a couple of scenes throughout 13 hours lol. There are hardly any new words that need to be learned and most of the stuff they allude to through this "technobabble" is understandable. You know what they are trying to tell you.

Technobabble isn't the right word then.

You're right, I should not be judging things as complex just because I don't have the attention span for them. I just couldn't find the motivation to pay attention when I feel that the explanations could be cut in half and still get the same thing across.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The wave motion cannon stuff is more or less bullshit, but the warp drive stuff is more in line with actual theoretical physics. Still fictional, of course, but at least it attempts to sound plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom