• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2015 |OT| ZA WARUDO is not square!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shengar

I wasn't unreasonably hyped for it, but the opening episode was good. It met what I expected from a series continuing from Death Billiards.
I haven't watch Death Billiards yet, that's why I'm asking it.
I just want to meet the other characters in Death Parade. For some reason it's reminding me of that Neil Gaiman's Sandman dark family of gods.

With Gaiman's name have been dropped, there is no way I can't watch the show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Log Horizon Season 2, Episode 14:

Well, it is a new year and it is time for some new perspectives, indeed the focus is on the former leader of the Debauchery Tea Party and professional Tifa impersonator Kanami. On that note, we either need to keep the author away from his action figures and video games or encourage it because at some point Link and Optimus Prime are showing up. Anyway, this is presented via the framing device of two the upper echelon of the great enemy Plant Hwyaden as we gain some insight into their capital, the shining jewel of the West called Minami. Indeed Akihabara is not the only city on the forefront of technological innovations as they have created a train system and they seem to ready to use it to go to war with our heroes. Indeed it clearer now the never that this Inictis lady is the true power of this guild and indeed this area and Nureha is being used as a figurehead for reasons unknown.

Anyway, the meat of our story seems Kanami and her companions traveling across China in order to reach the Japan server and thank you Log Horizon for have a reason other than ethnocentricity for this kind of focus. Indeed, we just got an information bomb and I don't many will realize it, indeed this is one of the biggest pieces of information yet dropped as we learn the Novasphere Explorers expansion pack went live in Japan first because of the time zones. It is a detail that I do appreciate even though it doesn't stand up to scrutiny because the first place it would have gone live is New Zealand . We also get some insight into what was a fairly minor plot detail in season one but is now looking like it is something of much bigger importance as stand-in for of all things the blond chick from the Everquest covers Elias Hackblade reveals that he is a Legendary Hero of the game and others of his kind have been vanishing including those Izumo Knights, very curious, very curious indeed.

Let me see, Leonardo is probably going to have to have a few details more changed before anybody is going to believe that he isn't a ninja turtle and like his namesake he is the most boring of the quartet. Finally, we have Coppellia who in spite of her emotional state of being is actually quite interesting and not just because she is dressing in a elaborate French Maid outfit and refers to Kanmai as her mistress.She is a new type of person that we the audience have not encountered before as she was a Chinese gold farming bot given flesh and form. She not only acts very robotic and has the obvious symbolism in her name but she also remembers her previous from, a crucial detail separates her from Landers, but also in spite of that she has gained wants, needs and desires, she looks for purpose. Finally, I will end this review by saying something extremely controversial, I am glad Studio Deen took over for this season. I know, I know, I know, art degradation and all that, but I don't think I could have handled Satellite's flat and flavorless direction, framing and blocking for this much more action heavy season.

fertygo

Death Parade - 01

Well its satisfied me, its kinda spotty nearing the end but overall its a great watch.. really nice they can keep thing rather vague and made you keep questioning which one that right..

Kinda shame we might not seeing another game at next episode.

Btw
the wife are transforming into the girl in after credit right?

Log Horizon 2 - 14

This episode should be as much as a #gamechanger as it was in the books because Goddamn, so much information was delivered.

Ah kanami , I still like you so much ... it was fun to see her finally in motion ..

So , The fact that japan was the one who got the novasphere expansion first , the fact that KR sumonning skills and extra Skills are OP , the fact that Not only people of the land changed BUT the knights & the Ennemies as well .. Because Yeah... The ennemies so far were just Goblins kings but we never had a POV about The heroes of elder tales and their ennemies . The fact that the in-game ennemies are also abusing the system IS THE TWIST , since we have knowledge of what may have happenned to the knights of izumo in the japan server.

So yeah , this episode delivered the goods.
Nothing like kanami to try to do a raid-like event with only 4 characters...

and that scene , i'm still laughing:
"Why was he with kanami , anyway ?"
"because she is kanami , i suppose"
"lol, Ok"

Enough said , no need for more justification , it's kanami !! /s

Link Man

Banned

Well, it is a new year and it is time for some new perspectives, indeed the focus is on the former leader of the Debauchery Tea Party and professional Tifa impersonator Kanami. On that note, we either need to keep the author away from his action figures and video games or encourage it because at some point Link and Optimus Prime are showing up. Anyway, this is presented via the framing device of two the upper echelon of the great enemy Plant Hwyaden as we gain some insight into their capital, the shining jewel of the West called Minami. Indeed Akihabara is not the only city on the forefront of technological innovations as they have created a train system and they seem to ready to use it to go to war with our heroes. Indeed it clearer now the never that this Inictis lady is the true power of this guild and indeed this area and Nureha is being used as a figurehead for reasons unknown.

Anyway, the meat of our story seems Kanami and her companions traveling across China in order to reach the Japan server and thank you Log Horizon for have a reason other than ethnocentricity for this kind of focus. Indeed, we just got an information bomb and I don't many will realize it, indeed this is one of the biggest pieces of information yet dropped as we learn the Novasphere Explorers expansion pack went live in Japan first because of the time zones. It is a detail that I do appreciate even though it doesn't stand up to scrutiny because the first place it would have gone live is New Zealand . We also get some insight into what was a fairly minor plot detail in season one but is now looking like it is something of much bigger importance as stand-in for of all things the blond chick from the Everquest covers Elias Hackblade reveals that he is a Legendary Hero of the game and others of his kind have been vanishing including those Izumo Knights, very curious, very curious indeed.

Let me see, Leonardo is probably going to have to have a few details more changed before anybody is going to believe that he isn't a ninja turtle and like his namesake he is the most boring of the quartet. Finally, we have Coppellia who in spite of her emotional state of being is actually quite interesting and not just because she is dressing in a elaborate French Maid outfit and refers to Kanmai as her mistress.She is a new type of person that we the audience have not encountered before as she was a Chinese gold farming bot given flesh and form. She not only acts very robotic and has the obvious symbolism in her name but she also remembers her previous from, a crucial detail separates her from Landers, but also in spite of that she has gained wants, needs and desires, she looks for purpose. Finally, I will end this review by saying something extremely controversial, I am glad Studio Deen took over for this season. I know, I know, I know, art degradation and all that, but I don't think I could have handled Satellite's flat and flavorless direction, framing and blocking for this much more action heavy season.

Indeed.

Yamato - 09

I, Robot indeed. A nice touch to add the Observer story over the radio throughout the episode. Analyzer making a friend and teaching him was sweet
while it lasted
Sanada questioning if the soldier even had a heart was great. I'm getting EDI vibes about the "goddess of the ship", I'd like to see her taking a physical form.
iIxZa0A.jpg
JhffP8M.jpg

Log Horizon S2 - 14

What a great start to the new story arc and probably one of the better episodes that have aired in this show this season.
Finally we get a glimpse at 'Mysterious Female Protagonist' who's popped up in pretty much all imagery of the original tea party. Though I can't say that I'm too enamored with whats shown for her character (there isn't much in the way of "defining traits" for her at this moment)
I really loved the progression of events for this episode. There was more than a few tasty morsels of new information regarding the world as a whole that I'm really excited to see fleshed out over time and the revelation that
AI bots were turned into adventurers as well
just adds that extra layer of mystique regarding Log Horizon as a series. The world building aspect in this show continues to impress.

In regards to the Parasyte OST:

Bliss, Next to You and Luna are my favourite. There are still some tracks missing so I'm guessing that there's going to be an OST 2?

Log Horizon S2 - 14

So yeah talk about a massive info dumb here that I wasn't expecting but am surely glad happened. Through a member of a Plant Hwyaden, KR, we gain a lot of insight into what Kanami has been up to, the type of person she is and the group of people she's traveling with. Not surprising that Kanami reminds me of the typical hot-blood protagonist common in super robo shows and her spirit is endearing. The more surprising thing was that she's travelling with the great NPC hero of the game of the game, Elias Hackblade.

Another interesting revelation is the dual-shield wielding cleric member of the party, Coppellia, is in fact not a player either but a Chinese bot farming AI brought to life as well. In her case I had my suspicions based on how she and Kanami met and her very robotic, monotone way of speaking and addressing others. Also just owning to the other's knownledge of MMOs: a Chinese farming bot? HAHAHAHA LOVE IT! I did find it interesting how Leonardo seemed to have a very dismissive regard towards NPCs dying at least until he came to realize half the party was NPCs.

Then there's KR who exhibited a couple interesting pieces of info as well such as his ability to take possession of animals and effectively skipped over the barriers between severs and being able to teleport into said monster to another sever completely and his ability to summon a dragon which I was under the impression was near impossible for a summoner to do. The bosses were also a treat considering their strange abilities and the one's awareness of the situation the world was in despite being what he is.

All and all great episode happy with where this series is going.

~wan wan

Log Horizon S2 - 14

Then there's KR who exhibited a couple interesting pieces of info as well such as his ability to take possession of animals and effectively skipped over the barriers between severs and being able to teleport into said monster to another sever completely and his ability to summon a dragon which I was under the impression was near impossible for a summoner to do. The bosses were also a treat considering their strange abilities and the one's awareness of the situation the world was in despite being what he is.

All and all great episode happy with where this series is going.

~wan wan

Well , you could say that the tea party members ( each and everyone of them ) pushed the boundaries of what was possible , so ... if it's possible to do , you can bet one of them have done it already.
Tea party member = broken sh*t

Just look at nyanta , shiroe , soujirou or kanami ... All of them had "worldwide firsts" can't even imagine what that was before...

CDiggity

Death Parade 01

Damn that OP is catchy. Like really really catchy. I can see why it is a frontrunner for OP of the season.

It also makes for a fun game where you show the OP to a stranger and have them guess the show's premise based on it.

Finally, I will end this review by saying something extremely controversial, I am glad Studio Deen took over for this season. I know, I know, I know, art degradation and all that, but I don't think I could have handled Satellite's flat and flavorless direction, framing and blocking for this much more action heavy season.

But they've kept both the director and series composition dude from S1 going into S2, the only difference between the two series post-studio switch is the art staff ... as far as I know.

Yamato - 09

I, Robot indeed. A nice touch to add the Observer story over the radio throughout the episode. Analyzer making a friend and teaching him was sweet
while it lasted
Sanada questioning if the soldier even had a heart was great. I'm getting EDI vibes about the "goddess of the ship", I'd like to see her taking a physical form.

This one was one of my absolute favorite episodes of that series.

sonicmj1

Death Parade Spoilers

No, that's not quite right.
The person shown in that flashback does not have the same character design as the husband at all. You'd also have to fail to read the places the darts hit, it's symbolic you know? Like when she hits him in the eyes, because he was blind to her cheating, and when she hits him in the heart because she broke his heart. She also pulls out that completely improbable and obvious lie to cover for what her friends said about her.

You say that,
but during the credits sequence, the name-card on the empty place-setting is for "Machida Yuuki", the friend she was talking about.

I agree that the structure is screwed up one way or another. Either it's supposed to be ambiguous to some degree, in which case the clear determination of judgment at the end undercuts it, or it's supposed to be obvious what's happening, in which case the repeated reverses, lies, and character body language muddy the clarity.

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 40

The OP made it seem like were getting another filler arc. I wonder if thats the case.

Natsus parts were great in this, but I dont like the reveal for the premise of the arc now, especially since the solution is to just "wreck it".

This episode is great until you learn that this one episode is adapting the ENTIRETY of the 9th volume (Which was done as a web novel, so don't say it wasn't released yet since that's the physical edition). From what I've heard from a Japanese forum friend, this is hilariously rushed, since pretty much every other volume was adapted in 5-6 episodes

Tuck

This episode is great until you learn that this one episode is adapting the ENTIRETY of the 9th volume (Which was done as a web novel, so don't say it wasn't released yet since that's the physical edition). From what I've heard from a Japanese forum friend, this is hilariously rushed, since pretty much every other volume was adapted in 5-6 episodes
:eek: wow that's pretty disappointing to hear.

KanColle *- 01

Well an excellent episode if you know about the kancolle verse or play the game.. but i'm not sure that was as intresting for people who don't.
But hey they did try to push as many characters as they couldin a single episode so i won't mind depending on how they go from there .

Kantai%20Collection%20-%2001.jpg

Best girl ?

Best girl !

Magic Kaito 13
Come on! You had a great OP and ED last cour! You didn't have to change it to another mediocre one!
Anyway another, SoL episode today. Next week is stealing time I hope.

You say that,
but during the credits sequence, the name-card on the empty place-setting is for "Machida Yuuki", the friend she was talking about.

I agree that the structure is screwed up one way or another. Either it's supposed to be ambiguous to some degree, in which case the clear determination of judgment at the end undercuts it, or it's supposed to be obvious what's happening, in which case the repeated reverses, lies, and character body language muddy the clarity.

the plot gumbo thickens. This show to be the inception of anime world.

Well, I prefer a comfy SoL over an over-the-top cooking sports anime.

don't get me wrong, this anime is right up my street and I really enjoyed it.

It was super pretty, which left me wondering what could have been if they were doing Soma as well. The food looked incredible in this, and I would have loved to see Shaft apply their usual... uniqueness to something like Soma and its foodgasms

also people will love Soma. calling it an over-the-top cooking sports anime is pretty reductive. It's much more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom