• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Erased 1

Worried about the re-writes they apparently have to do to fit everything into 12 episodes so hopefully the writers find a way around it.

That's honestly the last thing I'm worried about. There's one writer on the show, Taku Kishimoto, and while he's relatively new to the industry as a writer, he has made quite a name for himself as an excellent adaptation screenwriter. He started with Bunny Drop, then did Silver Spoon, and then Haikyu. This season he's writing Prince of Stride and Erased, and next season he's doing Joker Game and the Magi spinoff about Sinbad.

That's honestly the last thing I'm worried about. There's one writer on the show, Taku Kishimoto, and while he's relatively new to the industry as a writer, he has made quite a name for himself as an excellent adaptation screenwriter. He started with Bunny Drop, then did Silver Spoon, and then Haikyu. This season he's writing Prince of Stride and Erased, and next season he's doing Joker Game and the Magi spinoff about Sinbad.

Get this man an award for knowing when to stop

CYNcP9WUMAA5DOn.jpg

Heavy Object is so good as are All Off.

Line_HTX

it didn't do the second arc where the story goes to shit.

if you're asking how did the manga end, that's another story and unless you've seen the show but never read the manga it has impact but not to the same degree.

Damn, another one of those where the adaptation stopped short huh? That's a bummer.

Damn, another one of those where the adaptation stopped short huh? That's a bummer.

Yes and no. The story was evenly halved into a first and second part in the manga, the first half is the one people love the second one is the one that makes people wish they only read the first half. The anime only did the first half and many people who don't know better ask "so cute is there more in the manga?" and we warn them to not read it, and they do, so we later get them coming back saying they should have paid attention.

Line_HTX

Yes and no. The story was evenly halved into a first and second part in the manga, the first half is the one people love the second one is the one that makes people wish they only read the first half. The anime only did the first half and many people who don't know better ask "so cute is there more in the manga?" and we warn them to not read it, and they do, so we later get them coming back saying they should have paid attention.

Thanks for the caution.

Russ T

Banned
Last night when I was watching some more Nyanko-sensei's Book of Friends, I got to episode 23 (I think it was 23, I might double-check when I get home) and it immediately stood out as having an art and animation style unique from previous episodes. Lines felt a bit less... complete, and movement felt a lot more fluid and exaggerated.

What's the best resource for finding all the staff who worked on a particular episode of a particular anime? Because I'm curious if it's just in my head or if I saw something. The style also seemed familiar somehow, so I want to know if I can identify why...

I went through a similar thing a month ago when I was watching Noragami and realized I recognized the voice actor for the MC - Hiroshi Kamiya - from Kuroko's Basketball, and when I looked him up, he's in like a million different things I like as characters I really like. (Including Natsume...) Learning more about the industry has changed how I approach anime...

Anyway, I finished episode 26 of Nyanko-sensei's Book of Friends, and I am still pleased with the show. It was a little odd for the cour to end on an actual multi-part story arc, but it wasn't bad. I enjoy this series. <3

Last night when I was watching some more Nyanko-sensei's Book of Friends, I got to episode 23 (I think it was 23, I might double-check when I get home) and it immediately stood out as having an art and animation style unique from previous episodes. Lines felt a bit less... complete, and movement felt a lot more fluid and exaggerated.

What's the best resource for finding all the staff who worked on a particular episode of a particular anime? Because I'm curious if it's just in my head or if I saw something. The style also seemed familiar somehow, so I want to know if I can identify why...

I went through a similar thing a month ago when I was watching Noragami and realized I recognized the voice actor for the MC - Hiroshi Kamiya - from Kuroko's Basketball, and when I looked him up, he's in like a million different things I like as characters I really like. (Including Natsume...) Learning more about the industry has changed how I approach anime...

Anyway, I finished episode 26 of Nyanko-sensei's Book of Friends, and I am still pleased with the show. It was a little odd for the cour to end on an actual multi-part story arc, but it wasn't bad. I enjoy this series. <3

The ANN Encyclopedia is the best English resource for anime staff information. Looking at the page for Natsume's Book of Friends S2, it looks like the episode you're referring to was storyboarded and directed by Isamu Imakake, who has directed the most recent Happy Science films, and its animation director was Akira Takata, character designer for the show.

Jaxec

Galko-chan 1

I learned a lot about breasts and asses (lol). And that an ass can be a very dangerous weapon, especially Galko's. Easily my best girl of the season (though k have yet to watch Dagashi Kashi, so that might change).

Sekko Boys 1

This is the future right here. These guys will takeover the world. St. George and Mars the best.

I still to this day don't get how someone could think that, at the point you should start explaining things you instead explain things with made up words and don't explain those words, was a good idea @_@

they are attacking us because their flibberjams are out of wack, we need to genotastrate their flabberwalkers in order to renursify their jibberjabbers @_@

I do need to play the game at some point, I hear it is good, and it likely does a better job of covering important things like what half of the things said in the last few episodes are lol.

chaos head is up there for the worst anime I have ever seen though, as it has potential and teases it, and then just bitchslaps you and laughs as your cry yourself to sleep.

You really should play the VN when you have the chance. The Chaos;Head anime is probably one of the worst adaptations I've ever seen. It not only tries to compress the story into only 13 episodes, cutting out a ton of plot-relevant scenes, it also adds completely anime original filler episodes that don't even make any sense.

duckroll

Active Raid - Episode 1

Not sure what I just watched, but I think it hurts. It's like someone took Patlabor, Tiger & Bunny, and some random Tokusatsu shows, and rolled it all into one. The designs are pretty bad, the music is pretty forgettable, and aside from the great CG it's not a very attractive looking show. The humor is mostly hit or miss. I dunno. This feels much more like a Gun x Sword tier Goro Taniguchi show, which is probably my least favorite Taniguchi show. Meh.

Heavy Object Episode 13

98qYzGZl.jpg

After the new year break we're finally back with a new OP/ED!

We continue the chase of the MDC into the Amazon rainforest where they're putting up a last stand. Things get complicated fast as they always do, and our heroes have to fight off an army... Of killer ants. We get more characters as well like a fighter pilot.

Lots of Anime Military talk, can rival with GATE.

P.S - Honeysuckle, Honeysuckle, Honeysuckle...

Defuser

Heavy Object ep 13
Sladder Honeysuckle...I forgot Kazuma Kamachi always gives his characters dumb nonsensical names.
I kinda miss this show when it went on break last week, something about it makes me keep on watching.

Heavy Object ep 13
Sladder Honeysuckle...I forgot Kazuma Kamachi always gives his characters dumb nonsensical names.
I kinda miss this show when it went on break last week, something about it makes me keep on watching.

Well at least in this case he follows a theme- Most if not all of the characters are named after drinks, usually alcoholic drinks like Winchell and barbotage.

JCG

Active Raid - Episode 1
The humor is mostly hit or miss. I dunno. This feels much more like a Gun x Sword tier Goro Taniguchi show, which is probably my least favorite Taniguchi show. Meh.

Fair observation, since I'd have to agree that Taniguchi may be aiming for a Gun x Sword vibe here instead of anything else. Which was a show that I also enjoyed, precisely because of its similarly lighthearted atmosphere and constant gags. Hit or miss humor, perhaps, but amusing enough in my experience. All of that made even the ostensible revenge plotline something which shouldn't be taken too seriously and it ultimately reached a pretty straightforward yet satisfying conclusion. Not surprisingly, that show was also kind of dismissed at first glance (Oh no, it's Trigun plus Cowboy Bebop!) and only gained something of a fan base in retrospect.

The character designs aren't great and the animation by IMS will almost never shine, but I'd really disagree about the music though.

Tabi Machi Late Show 1

This probably won't garner as much attention as the other two shorts in the Ultra Super Anime Time block, but I really ilked it. It's sweet, tender, and understated, making good use of the time allotted to tell a short story in which things are implied more than stated outright. There's not really any animation, but the pleasant art style makes it enjoyable to watch.

Heavy Object Episode 13

The ants part was one of the best parts to the show, Havia and Qwenthur fighting something other than objects and being just as creative as they usually are. Perfect team.

Towa no quon END

You know I'm completely unsatisfied with that ending. The whole
"Haha I totally have super-powers too!" does fall within the realm of predictability. I mean character who have super deep seeded hate for mutants are always mutants themselves or their siblings were mutants or something.

Then let's not forget how the main villain is actually still alive at the end of it because Quon is a fucking idiot, the organization behind him is operating all well and good and nothing has really been all that solved! NOTHING
SHIT IS STILL FUCKED!!!

Shun was fucking boss though, coolest character throughout the entire story.

duckroll

Fair observation, since I'd have to agree that Taniguchi may be aiming for a Gun x Sword vibe here instead of anything else. Which was a show that I also enjoyed, precisely because of its similarly lighthearted atmosphere and constant gags. Hit or miss humor, perhaps, but amusing enough in my experience. All of that made even the ostensible revenge plotline something which shouldn't be taken too seriously and it ultimately reached a pretty straightforward yet satisfying conclusion. Not surprisingly, that show was also kind of dismissed at first glance (Oh no, it's Trigun plus Cowboy Bebop!) and only gained something of a fan base in retrospect.

The character designs aren't great and the animation by IMS will almost never shine, but I'd really disagree about the music though.

I think it's really a matter of personal taste. Gun x Sword just never clicked for me even though I could see what it's going for. Same here, I can appreciate the intent, but it just doesn't keep my interest.

Dagashi Kashi 1

Country based slice of life with a candy theme for the dense main character who is appropriately named coconut and a love triangle where it's already obvious that best girl is going to lose

Well that was amazing. St. George is best boy.

my man. St George club sign up over here

e_i

Maybe I've been watching anime too long, but sometimes, I can tell what a character's voice is going to sound like just by their appearance.

Dio

Banned
Gyaruko-chan/Galko Episode 1:

dat bad posture

I think I'm gonna like this show. plus it's 8 min episodes so it doesn't overstay its welcome

It almost seems like a sex-ed thing or something considering how many Japanese 'popular myths' it's talking about, like massaging boobs to make them get bigger and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom