• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Divine Gate Episode 1
download_1.png

I was hoping the episode would end with him in a ditch.

I have watched a lot of bad anime.
A lot.

Be it due to poor contrived writing, annoying characters, bad production values, filler endings, and so on and so on.
But it's rare that a show actively draws my contempt because of its fucking poetry.
The really sad thing is, outside the terrible poetry, there's nothing of note about this show.
Don't watch this show. Don't do it.

GATE S2 01

Aaand it's back. I liked this episode a lot, it did quite well building up the world a little further. Wasn't expecting it to be as graphic as it was. Good start though.

Russ T

Banned
The ANN Encyclopedia is the best English resource for anime staff information. Looking at the page for Natsume's Book of Friends S2, it looks like the episode you're referring to was storyboarded and directed by Isamu Imakake, who has directed the most recent Happy Science films, and its animation director was Akira Takata, character designer for the show.

Cool, thanks. I'll look into it later when I'm not busy with dumb work.

Dagashi Kashi 1
This was pretty good. I suspected that the animation and voice acting could enhance the material and the first episode makes a decent case for it. Though the early parts of the manga were the best part too, so I'm interested to see if this can stay funny/fresh longer than the source material.

Dagashi Kashi 01

Decided to give this one a shot. Sooo much junk food in this one ahahaha. It was pretty funny though I'll give it that. The weird looking eyes were a bit derpy at first but I guess I kinda got used to them as the episode went on.

Puruzi

Banned
The eyes are my favorite part of the character designs in Dagashi Kashi. Like the eyes are really good. I enjoy non standard eyes.

Dagashi Kashi 1

It was very funny. Hotaru is great, but I like Saya quite a bit too.

I'm not sure why, but I just could not get myself to care about GATE at all despite looking forward to each episode last season.

Maybe I should just wait until this season finishes and watch them all at once.

Quasar

Please Tell Me! Galko-chan 1 - Mildly entertained by this short. Mostly its just for the main/narrator voice actors. Episode 1 was mostly teenage girls body humour stuff. Will I be entertained by this more for than one episode? probably not. I'd like it to be more than just body humour stuff, but thats unlikely given how Japanese comedy seems to work. Also...eating a spicy curry when constipated is not a good idea.

phaze

Towa no Quon 06 END
013861m1scp.jpg

Smartest character in the show.
- I was positively cackling at how bad the writing was in some spots.
Mr cyborg-mutant guy's sacrifice
, accompanied by a ton of pompous lines, got me good in particular and I usually ate that type of stuff up.

- The second place goes to the already very accomplished in this matters, Mr blond-teleportation guy; for
pulling the gun on his own friends and then flip-flopping in the matter of seconds

- Seele #4556 were not only, as always in these kinds of shows, fucking incompetent, there is also zero conclusion to their plot. Or explanation for their existence.

- The final confrontation, while certainly very pretty, suffered from
1. Being a complete one way traffic in both of its halves. 2. Complete lack of, or disregard for, any rules regarding the abilities of Quon. Suddenly, he can talk to the soul of his brother, the one that's now inside the main villain, cause he ... touches said villain. (Incredibly, this manages to sound even more silly when typed up.) After which he goes Super Saiyan, defeating the baddie with no problems and depriving him of his powers, which he is able to do now because .... uhhhh I dunno.
- I agree that ending was too abrupt and could have used just a few more seconds to show what's in store for the crew after they went through. And shouldn't Ordos be after them still ? Why are they just leisurely getting first aid ?
Also why wouldn't you kill him Shirou v2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| It Hurts.

Shouta

I skimmed through Gate S2 01 real quick and wow, they actually left that scene in. i was fully expecting them to imply it or not include it. It's about as graphic as they could get away with. Surprising.

I'll watch the full episode later to catch what else has changed.

Garo Crimson Moon Episode 12
download_3.png

Well in this situation YES YOU FUCKING COULD YOU IDIOTS!

So they're basically doing the same thing they did in the previous animated series, only now it's stupid, and the audience lacks any reason to care.

So Seimei is basically put in a situation where she has to choose between saving Raikou (Who she suddenly seems to be in love with or something? I don't know.) and saving the lives of an unspecified number of poor villagers. And of course she's chooses Raikou, and this leads to a split between them.

Now, bear in mind Seimei knew where the main villains were this entire time. So, if our heroes here had done maybe literally anything about that, maybe this whole problem could have been avoided.

And this creates another problem. It's basically flat out says that the ruling class in Crimson Moon doesn't care about the poor at all, and seem perfectly content to leave them to the horror threat. However, our heroes don't seem to ever save anyone, especially the poor. So far, 12 episodes in, our heroes haven't actually been heroes in any modern sense of the word. They don't seem to travel much, and only train during down time. They don't interact with the poor much. It makes the main characters seem not that different from this guy
download.png

who can just be summed up as a rich asshole.

Also Jesus Christ, this shows most relatable character is literally a piece of paper that can kind of emote.

Rotnems

Neo Member
Gyaruko
Damn When galko stopped reading that book that was way too cute.

And Mama Mia! That's some spicy curry!

Sekkou boys

Sugita proves once again why he is the best voice actor in the industry right know. Based ST. George sama leaving the other idols in the dust.

Russ T

Banned
I skimmed through Gate S2 01 real quick and wow, they actually left that scene in. i was fully expecting them to imply it or not include it. It's about as graphic as they could get away with. Surprising.

I'll watch the full episode later to catch what else has changed.

I don't know anything about what scene this is but now I'm worried.

Funi for Rainbow Days and they got the live action part!

Each episode is about 12 minutes, and includes a separate 12-minute Japanese voice actor seiyuu show episode called “club RAINBOW,” giving you a special behind-the-scenes look into the world of Japanese voice acting. Both episodes will launch together at the same time every week at funimation.com/rainbow-days, so be sure to catch two episodes there every Sunday at 9:30 AM. - See more at: http://www.funimation.com/blog/2016...ncement&utm_nooverride=1#sthash.dKQkMD0N.dpuf

Mature

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju - 1
I don't think this is for me. I enjoy the characters and setting well enough, but the density of the actual Rakugo is really foreign and not especially interesting to me. The whole ten minute performance in the middle was shown completely straight without any animated flourish, which seems like a missed opportunity to do something interesting.

I'm assuming only this first episode is 47 minutes?

Jaxec

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 1

This was beautiful and definitely my AOTS so far. It was such a strong opening episode that had my complete attention throughout. I didn't even notice it was double the length of an average episode until it finished. I love all the characters and found myself throughly suprised at how much I enjoyed Yotaro's character. His love for rakugo and how far he's willing to go to be Yakumo's student really says a lot about him. His performance for the story with the burglar was so good and I found myself chucking throughout. Speaking of which, my god the voice acting was amazing and I have got to applaud all the seiyu for such wonderful performances. I was reading a lot praise for them on Twitter and I can see why. Konatsu is such an awesome character and that scene with the okami really had me feeling for her and I'll be rooting for her now. Her and Yotaro play so well off each and it was so much fun seeing that. Yakumo is in a league of this own though. Such amazing performances, especially him have to improvise because of Yotaro's snoring. That scene at the end with the promises was so good too and I can't wait to hear his story next episode. This is the first show this season that has made me actually care about all of its characters and I can't applaud it enough. Thank God Crunchyroll picked this up.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju Episode 1
CYOtt9KWsAA5eIO.png

Yotaro is such a great lead and his Dekigokoro story is pretty fantastic. Laughed and felt all the emotion from it all. Though I kind of always liked his voice before because he was perfect as Mic Man Seki in GYROZETTER. I hope Yotaro continues to do great things in the world of Rakugo.

Alright, grabbing all the new shit. Gonna take a nap and start watching it after.

My unimportant and readily ignored thoughts will follow shortly.

Assass Classclass S2 01

Jesus fuck, I really can't stand any of the Assass OPs or EDs.

Anyways, nice set up episode to the rest of the season. Same humor, same sensei.

I am worried that at the pace it's going we won't reach the best arc. Which I desperately want to see animated but I'm gonna guess not anytime soon. Drat. DAT ARC was honestly the high point of the series and I wanna see people react to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom