• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lupin 2015 is a nice series, more people should watch it now that Crunchyroll has it. I included it in my top 10 aoty vote.

Yeah it's definitely worth checking out even if it's a bit inconsistent. I enjoy it a lot

The
prison
episode was so good, Zenigata is such a nice "villian/antagonist".

Cardfight!! Vanguard G GIRS Crisis Episode 6 [engdub]
CYS4yPqWAAAk1Uv.png

Good development for Shion but I don't think he is just there yet. Hopefully we get to see him go against Toshiki Kai again.

Naoki Ishida v Chrono was a good duel.
CYS7DeMWsAAEpnI.png

Defuser

Durarara! X2 ep 25
The clusterfuck gathering at Celty house with the goofy BGM playing faster and faster was one of the most hilarious things I've seen.

Line_HTX

I mean, it has cards in it..

So, he lost his logic card which lets him use his powers. You think you'd tuck such an important thing away somewhere safe. On that note, if it's a power inherent to them, why do they need a card to activate it anyways? How does that make any sense?

And I'm not sure how they just ran off and then jumped into a vehicle... like, whose vehicle was that? Are these guys actually just thieves?

"Last Final Finish Sword". Her attack is... triple redundant. :l

Aww, he can't help being a generic lead character in a battle anime. His sister asked him to be.

LOL, this sounds like amazing Saturday morning shit.

Ascheroth

Bubuki Buranki - 01

I'm intrigued by the setting and backstory. The CG was pretty good overall, but still looked awkward and/or wooden at times. I found the first half immensly interesting, so the direction it took in the second half was a bit of a let down, but we'll see how it develops.
I'm not entirely sure what the hell is going on, but I'm interested in knowing, so I guess they succeeded. I'm expecting some cool action scenes from it.

Best thing about this defintely were the backgrounds, some really stunning pieces there.

Durarara!! X2 - 25

Hell yes, it's back and going really strong right from the get go. Hilarious episode and thigs are really heating up now.
Not completely sold on the new opening song yet, but maybe it will grow on me.

Luck & Logic - 01

Hm, I actually thought this was quite enjoyable, despite its obvious game roots. I don't think it's going to be anything special, but I'll give it a chance.

Russ T

Banned
Durararararararrrrraaaa x2 25

It's back! And it's as good as ever! Sloan using Izaya as a projectile weapon was hilarious.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gate 13
Hmm, didn't expect that rape scene to be included, considering the anime already omit several scene of it in the previous season. But boy the execution sure is cringeworthy.
This one focus on politic and another world red light district.
I can't even imagine how rape would be depicted in Gate. It almost expect something ludicrously over the top.

Sore ga Seiyuu 12

That was really charming. I liked that the big problem for the concert was something as realistic as injuring a foot, and I really liked seeing Futaba's growth as a character to the point where she can take charge of what needs to get done.
The bit where the producer trolls them into thinking that they'd be part of the big annual anime concert was also a nice little reality check.

I wonder if the actual voice actresses for the show have been pushed into a fake idol unit or anything similar.

The bit where the producer trolls them into thinking that they'd be part of the big annual anime concert was also a nice little reality check.

I wonder if the actual voice actresses for the show have been pushed into a fake idol unit or anything similar.

Earphones isn't a "fake" idol unit; it's just small-time with a manager who's not very good at his job.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nah, it's actually played straight and is genuinely unpleasant in every way.
Yeah, just watched it. It was Game of Thrones-like.

Earphones isn't a "fake" idol unit; it's just small-time with a manager who's not very good at his job.
Fake as in they have no reason to exist other than to promote themselves/their radio drama. I suppose I should have said manufactured, since that's more precise.

Although maybe I have a romantic notion of music groups, where it's either groups of highschool or college friends grinding in bars for years or some other similar story of years of hardship that bonds a group together in order to have a shared artistic vision/voice.

Exalted

Bubuki Buranki Episode 1

Nice visuals, music and some great action scenes. There was quite a lot of story in the first episode, and a lot of stuff is still a mystery. Will definitely watch more to see where it goes.

CYR7ZQXUsAEclnt.jpg

CYSAHCPU0AAWzuX.jpg

So Firehawk when are you going to watch Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu?

It has your favorite Seiyuu Yuu Kobayashi plus it also has Akira Ishida.

Narag

Going to out on a limb here and declare Rakugo to be the show I should watch for aoty 2016 consideration but just never get to.

Fake as in they have no reason to exist other than to promote themselves/their radio drama. I suppose I should have said manufactured, since that's more precise.

Although maybe I have a romantic notion of music groups, where it's either groups of highschool or college friends grinding in bars for years or some other similar story of years of hardship that bonds a group together in order to have a shared artistic vision/voice.

I wouldn't call idols "musicians"; they're more "entertainers". Singing is an important part of what they do, but it's only part of a package which involves dancing, acting, modeling, personality crafting, etc. It's not really a idealistic profession full of people who are doing it for the sake of art above all. For musicians who love music, it doesn't really matter how popular you are (as long as you make enough to get by), but for idols popularity really does matter. I think Sore ga Seiyuu does a good job of showing a balanced perspective of the pluses and minuses of the voice acting industry in Japan.

Going to out on a limb here and declare Rakugo to be the show I should watch for aoty 2016 consideration but just never get to.

Boo.

Jarmel

Banned
Pandora in the Crimson Shell-1
I actually liked this a lot more than I was expecting to. It's fairly funny at times and you can tell the staff had fun making this. I love the variation in faces and designs as it gives a level of energy to the work. I wish the animation and art direction was a bit better but alas.
Wasn't anticipating a full blown comedy but it's wacky enough to keep me entertained for now.

Phatmac

Great episode with lots of stuff going on like Izaya being thrown like a projectile and Celty getting flustered. I don't know many of the character names but most of the cast is still great. This is evident with the hilarious scene in Celty's living room with everything getting more chaotic by the minute. Seeing Celty get embarrassed is always great.

Sölf

DRRR!! x2 25
Man, I am happy I just finished part 2 a few days ago. But now begins the waiting game again. D:
Funny episode, one of the more hilarious ones. Strange choice of music for the opening compared to all other openings, imo. Didn't like it as much as the others. The ending was good though.

e_i

Dagashi Kashi episode 1

First, give that fish a bigger bowl/tank, Saya. Also, Hotaru is fucking COCONUTS.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 01
I think someone said this was a compilation of two OVA episodes? It really feels like that, in a bad way. This show really dragged at times, and it wasn't even within the extended storytelling monologues, but the pieces connecting those have a tendency to just feel very dry. The presentation is easily the biggest mark on the series. The bland and dated character design actively saps life away from every scene, and there's almost no artistic eye here for framing.

The presentation of these one-man shows is about as unimaginative as it gets. The camera is willing to move around, but it always resets to this very flat head on shot that is raised with the stage. If they are going to do long cuts that put the viewer in the place of the audience the series needs to do more to simulate that. The visual language of the show makes everything feel so lifeless. Certain effects, like visible breath in winter weather, are understated to the point where they are almost not noticeable. The entire framing for the scene almost becomes an afterthought.

Really didn't care for the storytelling either. It's chasing the feel of some of the stories that are being told by the characters themselves, but its modern trappings belie a lot of that, This is most noticeable with Konatsu, who has this uncomfortable place in this intro. In a lot of ways this kind of suffers from the same problems as Erased, where everything is just stuffed into one episode to set the stage, but the pacing here is even worse, which feels especially egregious with the additionally allotted time.

Jaxec

Buranki 1

This was actually kinda cool. I liked the CG and the character designs look nice. Will continue with it.

Drrrrrrrr x2 Ketsu 1

Nice to see the gang back. Really enjoyed the guild meeting. Celty still the best and Izaya too good.

Utawarerumono 14

Damn they really put in work against the enemy. Haku life still suffering, but the man gets shit done. Also Atui's a beast. Next episode title is Masks. Looking forward to it.

Lupin Part 4 1-5

Lupin's the man. Really liked the Jigen episode a lot too. The openings awesome as expected.

Utawarerumono 14

This is a game level alright, fun stuff all in all. Special shoutout to the guy with the katanas who defeated a bunch of guys while he didn't even move an inch!

Also, the bird is back in all his glory.

Mailbox

Campione! 1-13 (END)

This show. THIS FUCKING SHOW.
Wtf did i watch here?

I watched this last night, and I just....
There's a lot I could say alot about this show, like the bad story pacing structure (seriously, half of the plot is implicit), the odd use of kissing as sexualization replacement, the MC's big finisher attack being nothing more than him giving a lecture on ancient religion while everything else around him does the work, or how the first episode was a rushed mess that confused me way more than it informed me, or even the slightly odd/interesting harem dynamics.

But instead I wanna talk about episode 12. WTF
I don't think I've ever seen a more blatant analogue for sex in an anime before.
Seriously, after the MC gives his "divine protection" through rather intense kissing, Erica keeps touching below her stomach her stomach constantly talking about how she can "feel his warmth" and how she's "never been happier".

It's like the show is implying he has super semen or something.

This show could have used better action and less sexualization.
Overall, I didn't hate it. Kinda liked the characters for the most part, and the premise is very interesting,but it could have been way better.

It's watchable, but i don't think i'd ever recommend it to anyone...

I was really hoping no one would start saying things like this...

This is going to be my only post about it because I'm not going to get into it in this thread, of all places, with some some internet randos.

Everything duckroll said is true.

On top of that, there's a certain context that you seem to be ignoring, and that is: society. As in, our human society, and the shit that happens within it, and how people belittle rape as if it's meaningless, etc, etc, etc. Yes, of course, looking at it objectively, and without context, rape is "better" than death, because death is final, and rape is not. But that's ignoring so many important issues and subtleties that it approaches heartlessness. There are much better sources for learning about why this is a problem than me and my poorly written post. If you're actually interested in understanding why the topic of rape elicits a stronger emotional response than murder, I suggest reading about it from the perspective of rape survivors.

If you can't accept anything I've written above, at least accept this: Everyone reacts differently to things, and I, for one, do not appreciate rape as nothing but a plot device. It better damn well lead to something meaningful or that's a huge fucking mark against Gate, in my books.

As I said: only post!

I think this is a subject that can be looked at logically, divorced from the context of society and rape culture as society's views clearly aren't always right, and the "nothing happens in a vacuum" argument isn't super relevant on an individual basis. As you said, death is final while rape isn't. The potential for recovery is there. It's of course very very tough. I've worked with a victim of a gang rape and she was suicidal for a good while, but she's still here and managed to find her own happiness. There is no happiness or sadness in death; there's nothing. Not to say that isn't a more attractive option for some, as I've unfortunately seen that firsthand as well, but regardless of what society says or how it's depicted in the media or anywhere else, I'll never see death as better than rape on a base level.

I personally think death or rape as a simple plot device is cheap, even if only the latter will be accepted as shock value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom